One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-20 04:28:23

Gemedes

Berry Farming: is there a better way?

So I have been wondering if we are doing berries wrong. I always see in settlements they have maybe 10 domestic berry bushes half of which are dead but honestly due to them being a major part of both composting and feeding sheep why not go all in on berries.

Why don't we cycle through berry bushes? They take so long to regrow berries naturally but if we let them die then use a shovel to clear them wouldn't that be significantly faster?

So for example:

1 Berry bush has 6 berries meaning it has 6 seeds. This one is sacrificed.

2 of those would be needed to make the compost to replace soil.

That Leaves 3 berry bushes for sheep and extra composting.

So it is scalable in rows of 6

(Seed) (Compost1) (Compost2) (Extra1) (Extra2) (Extra3)

The water usage isnt that bad either it takes 8 water for a full recycle of a row
(including compost).

Note: I'm not sure what the timeline is on a berry bush dying but its faster than regrowing I'm sure of that. Also I know noobs will steal berries constantly.

#2 2018-03-20 04:49:19

Joriom
Website

Re: Berry Farming: is there a better way?

You know you can water berry bush after you collect berries so it does not die, right? Right? RIGHT!? Freaking trolls...

Btw: you don't need for the bush to go brown to water it. You can water it right after collecting, when its still green. Whe you mouse over the bush it "Langushing" (non-watered, dying) or "Vigorous" (watered, regrowing.
Vigorous domestic bush will regrow all berries at once in 60 minutes. Will not regrow ANY berries if there are still some on the bush. Which makes picking ANY berries from a bush an act of trolling as you need all 6 berries for compost. Picking even single one ruins the bush for over 60 minutes (you need to get rest of the berries and water it before it starts regrowing). If you see domestic bush with less than 6 berries - you can as well pick rest of them and eat or turn into seeds.
Which is different from wild bushes - wild ones always regrow - one berry every 10 minutes. Picking up a berry from a bush resets the times for next one to grow.

People like you who dont ask in game "HOW" and "WHY" and dont read recepies on their own. You people who take food, destroy others hard work and call it a progress. You people who run away from others speaking to you with adivec... You destroy communities. Makes me sick.

As per "plant new ones to get result faster" - thats what we do by expanding farms. But compost takes time and water man. With 3 fertile soil per compost you should always split it up: 1 for carrots, 1 for milkweed, 1 for berries. If you're low on berries and in drastic need of more carrots - 2 for carrots, 1 for berries.
Also - never use domedtic bushes to get berry seeds. Just look for wild ones which replenish every 10 minutes.

Last edited by Joriom (2018-03-20 04:56:25)

#3 2018-03-20 04:49:50

Thorware

A berry bush consumes one soil. Sustainable soil comes from compost, which consumes six berries, one carrot, one water, and one reed for three soil. Add the berry to seed, and you are paying 3 berries, 1/3 carrot, 1 1/3 water, and 1/3 reed for six berries. That's only a three berry profit, or 18 food, even ignoring the other costs.

Compare carrot patches. It costs one water and one seed for five carrots, providing 40 food. Carrots are vastly more efficient.

#4 2018-03-20 04:56:40

Gemedes

Joriom wrote:

You know you can water berry bush after you collect berries so it does not die, right? Right? RIGHT!? Freaking trolls...

Btw: you don't need for the bush to go brown to water it. You can water it right after collecting, when its still green. Whe you mouse over the bush it "Langushing" (non-watered, dying) or "Vigorous" (watered, regrowing.
Vigorous domestic bush will regrow all berries at once in 60 minutes. Will not regrow ANY berries if there are still some on the bush. Which makes picking ANY berries from a bush an act of trolling as you need all 6 berries for compost. Picking even single one ruins the bush for over 60 minutes (you need to get rest of the berries and water it before it starts regrowing). If you see domestic bush with less than 6 berries - you can as well pick rest of them and eat or turn into seeds.
Which is different from wild bushes - wild ones always regrow - one berry every 10 minutes. Picking up a berry from a bush resets the times for next one to grow.

People like you who dont ask in game "HOW" and "WHY" and dont read recepies on their own. You people who take food, destroy others hard work and call it a progress. You people who run away from others speaking to you with adivec... You destroy communities. Makes me sick.

I'm aware that you can water them to make them regrow. What I'm asking is if it would be more time efficient to regrow the berries entirely rather than harvesting them once per life? It always seems like berries are the bottleneck in a good production chain.

#5 2018-03-20 05:13:39

Gemedes

Thorware wrote:

A berry bush consumes one soil. Sustainable soil comes from compost, which consumes six berries, one carrot, one water, and one reed for three soil. Add the berry to seed, and you are paying 3 berries, 1/3 carrot, 1 1/3 water, and 1/3 reed for six berries. That's only a three berry profit, or 18 food, even ignoring the other costs.

Compare carrot patches. It costs one water and one seed for five carrots, providing 40 food. Carrots are vastly more efficient.

I disagree with your analysis here. Don't think of it as food . Berries aren't viable for that long term anyway. What they are good at is soil production and feeding sheep. Both things that I feel are currently bottle necked by current berry farming methods. So lets look at it this way.

Berry bush has a cost 1 water (regardless of replanted or regrown berries)

essentially is it worth it to sacrifice some of the soil produced to drastically increase the speed you are able to harvest berries?

Cost is 6 units of soil
Total yield is 15 units
So it is a net positive gain of either 9 extra soil or 9 small balls of yarn.

#6 2018-03-20 05:25:09

lesslucid

Joriom wrote:

Come on, this is uncalled for. He's proposing an alternative analysis of how to efficiently farm berries. It might be right or it might be wrong, but simply suggesting an alternative analysis is not equivalent to "destroying others' hard work".

#7 2018-03-20 05:49:17

Thexus

Infidels, and berislamists, Carrots are the only way.

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#8 2018-03-20 06:48:04

Twinsen

I kind of getting the illustration by the OP here, but I think the OP should provide some solid calculation regarding the life cycle of this particular berry farming technique.

#9 2018-03-20 07:00:41

Joriom
Website

Gemedes wrote:

What I'm asking is if it would be more time efficient to regrow the berries entirely rather than harvesting them once per life? It always seems like berries are the bottleneck in a good production chain.

Of course its more efficient. It takes only 4 minutes for bush to grow from seed to full with 6 berries.

Get 6 berries, make for 6 seeds, plant 6 bushes.
After 4 minutes you can get 6 seeds from one bush and make compost 5 times.

The point is - initial soil/water/carrot/reeds investment. After that you just need someone to bring you water and reeds (because they decay in 4 minutes as well, which makes storing large ammounts pointless). All of that while someone else brings water for farms and takes care of carrots so you always have spares for soil.

Its freakig easy but there is always someone screwing up or colony is located to far away from reeds. Oh, and people need baskets as well co its competetive market. Baskets or compost.

At around 50-60 berry bushes you hit critical mass where you can stop planting new ones. If you pick them up in intervals (not all at once) - they'll regrow regularly. At this point you can start using soil for milkweed to plant 200-300 of those to sustain big colony.

PS:
Its the same with milkweed. If you have compost to spare, you can plant as much of it as you want and it grows in 4 minutes - so you can collect as much as you want in single lifetime as long as you have compost/fertile soil. But there is no critical mass with milkweeds. Even with 200+ you will need more strig for clother, more rope for tools and hand carts, rope for pine walls, more snares, thread/rope to make replacements for lost stuff... etc, etc, etc...

Last edited by Joriom (2018-03-20 07:02:56)

#10 2018-03-20 07:28:03

Twinsen

Joriom wrote:

PS:
Its the same with milkweed. If you have compost to spare, you can plant as much of it as you want and it grows in 4 minutes - so you can collect as much as you want in single lifetime as long as you have compost/fertile soil. But there is no critical mass with milkweeds. Even with 200+ you will need more strig for clother, more rope for tools and hand carts, rope for pine walls, more snares, thread/rope to make replacements for lost stuff... etc, etc, etc...

But when I can find 8 snares in a settlement, I go crazy. Anyway, it's about if the village is organized for where to put the tools.

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-20 07:29:04)

#11 2018-03-20 07:32:56

Joriom
Website

Twinsen wrote:

But when I can find 8 snares in a settlement, I go crazy. Anyway, it's about if the village is organized for where to put the tools.

2 is the minimal ammout. One person trapping with decent speed or two hunters.
6 is optimal ammount 2 very fast working trappers with hand carts full of baskets or 3 people with 2 snares, backpack and backets.
9 and above is luxury and having spares. People are bound to die when hunting and you loose snares utill found by next hunter somewhere in the world.

If you have decent milkweed farm (decent being 100+. No people, 10 milkweed plants is NOT enough) you can easily have 8, i don't see problem with that.

#12 2018-03-22 04:32:59

shoukanjuu

Joriom wrote:

You people who take food, destroy others hard work and call it a progress. You people who run away from others speaking to you with adivec... You destroy communities. Makes me sick.

Joriom, I read your post accross the forum and…maybe it's because English isn't your first language, but you sound like you need to take a break. A break from posting, or a break from the game, or both.

#13 2018-03-22 05:31:25

Joriom
Website

shoukanjuu wrote:

Joriom, I read your post accross the forum and…maybe it's because English isn't your first language, but you sound like you need to take a break. A break from posting, or a break from the game, or both.

Or just get a new keyboard where some keys are not getting stuck so often... If thats your point. And to think this one is just few months old...

#14 2018-03-22 19:02:22

Xuhybrid

Making the soil to replace the dead bush is a huge waste when you can just water it...

#15 2018-03-22 20:31:17

Gemedes

Xuhybrid wrote:

Making the soil to replace the dead bush is a huge waste when you can just water it...

It takes 60 minutes to regrow berries on existing bushes when you water hence destroying it to speed up access to berries. It takes 5 mins to dry out and then 4 minutes to regrow from a seed. Essentially cutting the time needed to get more berries from 60 min/bush to 10 min/bush at the cost of additional soil which shouldn't be an issue because of increased berry production which increases soil production. Letting it dry out before digging also makes easy kindling which can be a good thing for places that have deforested the surrounding area. 

Only concern is that you will also consume water at a very quick rate so if there is a limited supply around your village then this is impractical.

#16 2018-03-22 21:03:02

Potjeh

You're saving space, but you're losing water and more importantly a shitton of time which is the most valuable resource in the game.

To plant 3 bushes you need to get bowl of berries, then go find a carrot, then mash, then find reeds/straw and haul them back, then water, then haul three baskets of soil, then fiddle with seeds and then bring three water. And you effectively get 2.5 bushes out of it because you need seeds. If you have a big enough farm where you just need to rewater and bushes keep respawning at the same pace you use them, you just need to walk a bit further to grab the berries and water, which takes orders of magnitude less time. Water efficiency is just a bonus.

This goes doubly for milkweed, because you're burning two soil and two water just to make one thread, which is nowhere near worth it considering time investment in composting. And you don't even have to rewater milkweed! Yet today I ran into some ass who destroyed quarter of a life worth of work on milkweed farm insisting that I can just reuse the tiles. Wouldn't stop after being repeatedly told to, either. Frankly, I think from now on my first priority when spawning in a village will be making a knife just so I can do some actual work without some prick destroying it in seconds.

Board footer