One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-28 04:51:36

Grim_Arbiter

The sword is just plain racist.

Jokes aside, there is no single point for any families of differing races to interact at this time.

We need the sword to kill by name and not race if we want to see families work together. Vllages with multiple families would work if they ACTUALLY became one cohesive group by mixing.

Even the most basic nomad tribes in life are tiny families within in a unit.

That's the one disconnect from adding these war swords I feel. It made the meta, anyone who doesn't look like me is automatically bad..

Instead of "We are family 1 and its us against the world" it should be "We are families 1,2, and 3 and families 4, and 5 are our friends.. families 6,7, and 8 are dicks and our enemies."

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2019-05-28 05:27:23

Psykout

Re: The sword is just plain racist.

At times I feel like everyone is jumping on a hate bandwagon, but then I realize this is the only outcome that could have happened by adding something thats only purpose is a weapon. I just don't know how to fix it, I don't think there is a way to get around it. Considering how many uses a knife has had with the introduction of rubber and timing belts, that every town needs to have at least one bow somewhere for sheep and geese, we had ways to deal with undesirables, and when you did it, people have to help you survive afterwards unless you had really high hunger/yum. If there was an unwarrented stab, you could not feed them and they will potentially starve... The elephant in the room is the sword, it came too early in the games life.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-05-28 05:27:48)

#3 2019-05-28 05:30:40

Dodge

Yes my sword just said the n-word when i stabbed someone, they definitly are tongue

What are you talking about?

The swords kill by name not race

https://edge.onetech.info/3047-War-Swor … FamilyOnly

"War Sword
otherFamilyOnly
"

You kill other families not other races, you can kill same races, different races

How is that racist?

Also im pretty sure if you adopt someone from another race/family and they get your lastname then they are part of the family and cant get killed, but not sure since i havent tested this.

#4 2019-05-28 05:37:50

RodneyC86

Dodge wrote:

Yes my sword just said the n-word when i stabbed someone, they definitly are tongue

"War Sword
otherFamilyOnly
"

You kill other families not other races, you can kill same races, different races

How is that racist?

Also im pretty sure if you adopt someone from another race/family and they get your lastname then they are part of the family and cant get killed, but not sure since i havent tested this.

As pro gun people would say, blame the person not the sword.

#5 2019-05-28 05:50:03

Psykout

RodneyC86 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

"War Sword
otherFamilyOnly
"

How is that racist?

That gets a little hard though, when you introduce a new feature it will always be used more often at first. I made the joke that if cyanide was added people would kill themselves left and right just to use the new thing in the game. The laughing stopped when I realized its true.

#6 2019-05-28 05:53:34

RodneyC86

Psykout wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

"War Sword
otherFamilyOnly
"

How is that racist?

That gets a little hard though, when you introduce a new feature it will always be used more often at first. I made the joke that if cyanide was added people would kill themselves left and right just to use the new thing in the game. The laughing stopped when I realized its true.

I think sword killings have gone down since it started so thank goodness to that

As for cyanide, people eat Tide Pods IRL for Jason's sakes

Humans are stupid, and it is also reflected in OHOL

#7 2019-05-28 05:59:27

Grim_Arbiter

Dodge wrote:

"War Sword
otherFamilyOnly
"

How is that racist?

Ok how bout xenophobic?

The only successful multi "race" villages ive seen work were the blondes and brunettes. I think half of the people didn't even realize they were two separate families.. and two different latin families living together with the same effect.

It's by lineage (the word I'm relating with race) and doesn't matter if you you adopt, they can be killed by sword. Like family tree. If you name someone from another family they'll get the last name but they wont show on your family tree and the two families will technically never merge.

At least that's what I've seen and that's what has been explained to me on the discord.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-05-28 06:00:44)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#8 2019-05-28 09:39:55

Baker

I strongly agree. No peaceful alternatives, Being friendly bites you in the ass down the line instead of the other way round.  People build fenced towns, killing eves on sight whether they are aggressive or not.

I've seen co-existence but only in towns with no war swords. It can happen but a bloodbath is never far off.  I've had experiences being sworded at birth because my mother was an eve inside a town, dickheads yoohoo'ing at me as I bled out.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#9 2019-05-28 09:44:39

RodneyC86

Baker wrote:

I strongly agree. No peaceful alternatives, Being friendly bites you in the ass down the line instead of the other way round.  People build fenced towns, killing eves on sight whether they are aggressive or not.

I've seen co-existence but only in towns with no war swords. It can happen but a bloodbath is never far off.  I've had experiences being sworded at birth because my mother was an eve inside a town, dickheads yoohoo'ing at me as I bled out.

I've been offering a suggestion for shackles even as prisoners, it's better than being sworded immediately or shot on sight like some wild animal.

Nope, no one wants that. Everyone is too proud to wear shackles. Never realising the paranoia a village deals with to take your eve butt in

#10 2019-05-28 14:25:51

Psykout

RodneyC86 wrote:
Baker wrote:

I've been offering a suggestion for shackles even as prisoners, it's better than being sworded immediately or shot on sight like some wild animal.

Nope, no one wants that. Everyone is too proud to wear shackles. Never realising the paranoia a village deals with to take your eve butt in

Stop going on every god damn thread talking about god damn shackles, are you really that narrow sighted to see that it will turn sour? Its not that we are too proud, we just know it won't end well. People already will walk up stab you because you weren't the one that fed them as a baby because you were one of the few people in town willing to work and happened to be female that life. I am sorry to get mean, but you are not exactly being pleasant about us disagreeing with shackles/handcuffs/prisoners.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-05-28 14:30:23)

#11 2019-05-28 14:32:55

RodneyC86

Psykout wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
Baker wrote:

Stop going on every god damn thread talking about god damn shackles, are you really that narrow sighted to see that it will turn sour? Its not that we are too proud, we just know it won't end well. People already will walk up stab you because you weren't the one that fed them as a baby because you were one of the few people in town willing to work and happened to be female that life. I am sorry to get mean, but you are not exactly being pleasant about us disagreeing with shackles/handcuffs/prisoners.

I apologize that came out wrong. Just so bothered by people welcoming eves in wantonly only to see slaughters though. I wish we have in between solution to this than outright kill or accept and hope for the best.

Will not say a word of this anymore.
Just hope next update will calm the eve invasion

#12 2019-05-28 15:30:30

Psykout

RodneyC86 wrote:
Psykout wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

I apologize that came out wrong. Just so bothered by people welcoming eves in wantonly only to see slaughters though. I wish we have in between solution to this than outright kill or accept and hope for the best.

Will not say a word of this anymore.
Just hope next update will calm the eve invasion

Hey man, thanks for the apology. I am sorry for getting upset as well. I am not saying DONT TALK ABOUT IT. Just that it feels like you weren't trying to listen and got a little condescending. "If you are entering a conversation only with the attention to change other peoples minds - You are starting an argument. If you are entering it wanting to change someone elses mind but also willing to change your own - You are starting a debate" One is productive, one is not. This is why I said maybe to the idea with player choice, that it was something that can only be willingly accepted by the person being restrained. It still has more potential for negative action/reaction so not completely on board.

#13 2019-05-28 15:42:57

pein

Mixing with others results in 40 min annihilation of your own. Eve's come in dropping kids and they generally get more girls.  Then after a while some kid murders one or two females then after chaos someone cleans it up. Eve's are bad news and girls from other family bad news. You can't adopt anyone properly it's still on other page and still can be sword killed.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer