One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-27 15:49:19

pein

Mini guide: property fences , one way exits, main gate, place holders

Half solutions are bad

If you want fences around town, and want it long term then make it properly
-cut the trees and make sure you can build a straight line, if got no zoom run in straight line, dig the stumps and make it straight
-for simple organization, you need a gate close to main fire so you don have to go 40 tiles to give acces
-no reson to have multiple gates cause you need to give multiple acces to each and eventually the people owning it die
-holes in the wall make the whole thing useless so fix it
-don't go big, start off with a smaller one then if got time make outer layer
-when you are starving and the city looks bad, attackers are the last of your problems
-guards and fence makers need to communicate with others, i seen people kill off a city by arguing about policies, hen they still kill eves leaving population with no females

uFmSR4A.jpg

i had a guide on one way entrances
with the introduction on springy doors, this got a new upgrade
springy one way entrance/exit

the idea is that you cant click a door diagonally to open it, but you can exit diagonally if it's open
normally you would open, go out and need another person to close after you
not with springy doors, making this ideal if you want to go outside in side of town and don't want to spend time asking others to help
you can still ask others to help, when yo uwaant to carry bones and garbage outside

placeholders: if you don't have a springy door around, which you wont usually, cause the cost of steel and rope, then just smash an adobe or put a stone block, later you can replace with a springy door

reesource drop: you can put a box in the wall, later convert to chest so eves cant drag it away(not like eves will have adze to break it), then locked chest for maximum security. leave it open when empty, close it and tell someone to empty it, you can clse it without key and you can leave key inside fences if all locked, this helps with gathering

real fence: helps stop the horse and helps go inside with horse, once you jump on the horse you can enter trough the wall
this also allows people to go in with a horse from other families but lets be real, they are smarter players and wont grief or would go in anyway while someone leaves the door open for a few seconds
if don't want to risk, put your gate on other side of fence and a small airlock of 1x1 space so you can close it from inside

graves: near walls wont be the most useful spot to farm or do anything, so bones can go aroudn the walls forming a wall, people got some respect for the dead, so for i seen they don't take carrots off the graves or other stuff, so you can bury people around walls and not like eves will make shovel to get past trough it, if they make axe and shovel they can just as well make their own camps
if you dont know who was the person ,just make letter U, that's the cheapest, only needs a huge field of sapling, cook letter stocks in put in bowls and then use on graves, chisel and mallet, for special persons you can make a few other letters

stone block: adobe can be taken off if the eves find a bowl outside, and only one water to open it, so stone blocks are cheaper, also maybe you can make bell base and have one secure wall side

other things you can put: cistern, but same as fence, better in an airlock
half adobe wall: same as adobe base, wont decay and maybe someone upgrades it, i only see it viable if you use city wall same as building wall, then you save 25% on resources

planted trees: generally people wont cut it, and eves neither
mango tree with soil cant even be cut, that's only a section of 7 with a compost pile tho

the picture is an illustration, you can make it bigger, the main gate near fire makes it easier to give acces and explain to babies how and why
a few bushes so visitors can stop and you can talk over the gate, a road can stop fences on it, also requires adze/pick to take it off

crazy ideas: newcommen in wall allows to put babies trough walls up to age 4.9 and blocks older people

eve trap, turn around the springy door and have the gate/wall inside
make an airlock inside and another gate. this will let eves in but wont let them out
only downside is that attackers with knife can cut it down

combine all together: it's still a limit on resources and varies on map
you can block out like 20 tiles with pen, bakery, nursery, then like 40 with graves, then few fences, then the rest property fences
the problem with property fences that you cannot move or upgrade or remove so you need to make other wall inside it then let it rot

one gate is necessary cause you want to go in an out without havign multiple keys
also if everyone dead, the next Eve can revive the city

so next time you make a property fence, at least calculate middle and smash down an adobe
you could have a pack and pouch of water to exit/enter each time
or just make it like this
1Zm83ZD.png
sae way they cannot click door from diagonal, they cannot water from diagonal so you just prepared for the springy door
you can use normal graves or normal doors just then it stays open if you go out so you need someone to close after you

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-05-27 16:30:46

Dodge

Re: Mini guide: property fences , one way exits, main gate, place holders

You can also have corner fences that you can renew from inside the walls.

fence-fence-fence
--------------gate
-------------------fence
-------------------fence
-------------------fence

or simply

fence-fence-fence
--------------gate
--------------fence
--------------fence
--------------fence

They both double as entrance/exit but first one i think can only be open from the inside if im not mistaken

#3 2019-05-27 20:23:21

pein

fence-fence-fence
--------------gatefence
-------------------fence
-------------------fence
-------------------fence

like this but same problem as others, soemone has to close after you
not sure if you put it EW ten it wont open to outside? i think it would

we need springy gates with acces to family members only

Last edited by pein (2019-05-27 20:24:46)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-08-19 04:12:15

pein

in action:
the last long arc (we had a 3 day long arc after)
i was focusing the efforts on NE side of the map (town nr 6, too many lines to remember, maybe Dobbie lasted long enough when i went from nr1 to NE and repopulated, then someone named an eve kid), it was behind for a while, the first good town was number 9
Rioto family, they made 3 engines
Later, the Elderio era, we spread a bit of iron and told the people to get an engine up there
as 3 of us fixed up the town, had issues with food, made a cistern, then gathered some water from further
that put the town on the decent era, and some people planted trees for a while
later i planted pines for firewood, rubber trees for tires and managed to put down quite a few fences for horses

1 day after the Dobbie family dominance, it was 6 families inside and ended up with a killfest
later on some people made a city at nr 5 zone
they hoarded a lot of clothes, iron, tools, fenced it up
when it died out people scavenged quite a lot of clothes, and when the newcommen dried out, there was some bad attempts on reviving it

wlDiavB.png

that's when i was born there and started a fortress next to it, it had an upgraded well, i made a pen, then some boards, farms
spent 2 lifes there, the first as a pseudo eve, making new tools and settign up, the second i fixed up again and managed to fix it up when the raiders came, and i didn't had my entrances closed
anyway, i let in a black eve and she had 6 kids before i died
yTQCiE3.png

the next day it looked like this, still recognizeable parts, and was the best town at the end of arc
ZZlBDyy.png

did something similar on the 3 day arc, basically a pen, 2 lines of berries then a road
marked where the oven and forges go, and built them upon boards so they can extend it
eventually someone took over, and liked the setup, they made engine,the fences were weirdly extended but it was still organized mostly
was a multi cultural city and got back and helped out on the oil, and was quite advanced comapred to the others

i would say, make it long sideways and not that tall, a bottom gate, oven, seemed to work out nicely, the forge should be further away to have some space later
one sprigy door (grave early) enough that way, you need to secure the perimeter ASAP, so far raiders and griefers came early when i tried the setup at early stages.  a main gate bottom and a secondary entrance top can help on getting out

the best new trick is using craut board on crock, and a cabbage
isn't always an option but they will lock you up less likely, as they would need bowl plate stone stomper, salt etc to remove the crock
so you can walk out easily

Board footer