One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-27 02:54:44

Bob 101

Controversial: Enslaving other families.

Trust is a major issue when it comes to accepting foreign people into your town. Right now we can either kill them or let them stay with full rights.

I saw this idea on the forums, The guy suggested shackles that slow them down and prevent them using weapons. Slowdown probably isn't needed anymore with the current system, Replace it with not being able to use vehicles.

Towns can control what rights they have. Could be that are just second class citizens or locked in a pen.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-27 02:57:51)

#2 2019-05-27 03:05:41

RodneyC86

Re: Controversial: Enslaving other families.

Bob 101 wrote:

Trust is a major issue when it comes to accepting foreign people into your town. Right now we can either kill them or let them stay with full rights.

I saw this idea on the forums, The guy suggested shackles that slow them down and prevent them using weapons. Slowdown probably isn't needed anymore with the current system, Replace it with not being able to use vehicles.

Towns can control what rights they have. Could be that are just second class citizens or locked in a pen.

Aye that would be me. But this is not going to sit well with the pokitically correct.

#3 2019-05-27 03:17:36

Psykout

This would inevitably breed a lot of toxicity and would take an even larger step towards opposition. Player confinement and control might sound fun on paper or over a 5 minute conversation, but not as game mechanic that would or could get used too often.

#4 2019-05-27 03:23:53

RodneyC86

Psykout wrote:

This would inevitably breed a lot of toxicity and would take an even larger step towards opposition. Player confinement and control might sound fun on paper or over a 5 minute conversation, but not as game mechanic that would or could get used too often.

I agree to an extent, my idea is to just mimickhistory of slavery of perceived inferior races. It's toxic, no questions about it, but one does not deny it happened.

some people will get butt hurt, but if they play a game based on human civilization from the stone age and gets triggered for being shackled and enslaved by a foreign tribe, they might be the one to blame

I find it fascinating, even if I do end up being the receiving end of the shackles, call me a masochist, whatever

#5 2019-05-27 03:31:37

lychee

Not only is it toxic, but it has the potential to be bad for PR.

There’s tons of products that have been destroyed by bad publicity, so I would absolutely not call this a good idea for a game that currently markets itself as a “parenting” game.

#6 2019-05-27 03:34:36

futurebird

Why would you keep living such a life except to plot to kill the people keeping you penned up?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#7 2019-05-27 03:40:29

Psykout

futurebird wrote:

Why would you keep living such a life except to plot to kill the people keeping you penned up?

Well said, definitely would end in revenge killings. If was by player choice maybe. I want to join your village, you can't understand me and are worried. I "shackle" myself and show you that I can't arm myself to put you at ease, sure. But not in favor of someone being able to force that on someone.

#8 2019-05-27 03:47:52

RodneyC86

lychee wrote:

Not only is it toxic, but it has the potential to be bad for PR.

There’s tons of products that have been destroyed by bad publicity, so I would absolutely not call this a good idea for a game that currently markets itself as a “parenting” game.

Yes, given a choice no players would want to live a slave life. I never said this would be good for game PR. It would be hyper real though.

Back to the same problem, people can choose to just quit the game back to their freedom anytime. Can't say the same for slaves back then , you live a slave or you die
Dying in this game simply has no real conseuqence

Also this boils back down to Jason, what IS his vision? Human history Realism? Or lovey dovey parenting all the way where everyone on server eventually sings Kumbayah together

Human nature though dictates that the latter is probably impossible

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-27 03:48:32)

#9 2019-05-27 03:53:42

Psykout

RodneyC86 wrote:

Or lovey dovey parenting all the way where everyone on server eventually sings Kumbayah together

Nothing wrong with that, not every multiplayer game needs to have conflicts baked into them. Having to struggle against the elements AND other players creates a helluva environment thats for sure.

#10 2019-05-27 03:57:35

RodneyC86

Psykout wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

Or lovey dovey parenting all the way where everyone on server eventually sings Kumbayah together

Nothing wrong with that, not every multiplayer game needs to have conflicts baked into them. Having to struggle against the elements AND other players creates a helluva environment thats for sure.

Nothing wrong with that indeed, tell that to the griefers and the inevitable assholes

I say adding shackles is a great way to curb eves griefing if the spawn distance isn't changed. Griefers will be unable do their shit, decent players can very much still play the game mostly normal. I suggested a slowdown so that they can't do the stash away stuff type of griefing easily but I guess being on a shackle should be enough of a red light for people to keep an eye on them.

#11 2019-05-27 04:11:14

Psykout

What stops said griefer from running up and shackling you with one sitting around? What stops them from wandering into a new town with multiple shackles and start slapping them on whoever they can get close to. I'd rather be stabbed. Also if you are force fed you can't die, and are at this point an actual prisoner. I think this happened in Ark, players would get captured and log off, only to log on hours later and find that they had been fed and are still trapped against their will. Murder with bows and knives works in the game because it removes them and bans them, and makes it clear who did the act because of slowdown and inability to drop the weapon immediately.

#12 2019-05-27 04:26:18

RodneyC86

Psykout wrote:

What stops said griefer from running up and shackling you with one sitting around? What stops them from wandering into a new town with multiple shackles and start slapping them on whoever they can get close to. I'd rather be stabbed. Also if you are force fed you can't die, and are at this point an actual prisoner. I think this happened in Ark, players would get captured and log off, only to log on hours later and find that they had been fed and are still trapped against their will. Murder with bows and knives works in the game because it removes them and bans them, and makes it clear who did the act because of slowdown and inability to drop the weapon immediately.

Wow, if a village can't catch the foreign eve trying to put on a shackle one by one on your entire family nothing can protect you from basically anything

Basically make any adult from same family can unshackle you. I say adult so then a child has to be shackled before they reach adulthood or they can have the option of liberating their family

And you can't shackle own family. Like a less lethal sword, that has wounds that doesn't require a pad to heal

Also if you are an actual prisoner nothing stops you from continuously running to commit suicide.

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-27 04:27:35)

#13 2019-05-27 04:29:38

Bob 101

futurebird wrote:

Sounds interesting, Slave uprisings sounds like fun.

It is common for Eves to try and live in or steal from towns. They offer better living conditions then living in the wild. Your lineage may do better as slaves to a big city with the possibility of gaining freedom down the line.

It is possible that one could be set free peacefully once trusted by the town.

#14 2019-05-27 04:32:59

RodneyC86

Bob 101 wrote:
futurebird wrote:

Sounds interesting, Slave uprisings sounds like fun.

It is common for Eves to try and live in or steal from towns. They offer better living conditions then living in the wild. Your lineage may do better as slaves to a big city with the possibility of gaining freedom down the line.

It is possible that one could be set free peacefully once trusted by the town.

I have been suggesting marriages , if anyone in the family deems them acceptable for marriage, make them in laws and they can not sword each other anymore. Then shackles can be released , and everyone lives happily ever after ? Maybe, but there will always be bitter people after being shackled, but they don't realize the burden of trusting a potentially game ruining eve and her descendents

Struggle continues, what fun lol

#15 2019-05-27 04:44:36

Bob 101

PS: I'd rather be enslaved then immediately killed when entering any town. It dosn't have to be slavery, I'd be happy with any way to peacefully integrate into an established town.

#16 2019-05-27 04:46:36

RodneyC86

Bob 101 wrote:

PS: I'd rather be enslaved then immediately killed when entering any town. It dosn't have to be slavery, I'd be happy with any way to peacefully integrate into an established town.

EXACTLY. Either you eat an arrow, be shackled but vie for freedom someday (so much like our history) , or run wild ,be free, and never comeback

#17 2019-05-27 12:32:53

Guppy

What about this: If an eve comes into a village she can make a peace offering, which makes her family unable to use swords on the other family. if x percent of her family later agree to undo that agreement, there is a warning of some sorts for the other family and a timer ( 1 minute ?)

This way, their family is still "weaker" than the other, since they could still use swords on them, without making them slaves

#18 2019-05-27 14:26:33

Bob 101

Guppy wrote:

What about this: If an eve comes into a village she can make a peace offering, which makes her family unable to use swords on the other family. if x percent of her family later agree to undo that agreement, there is a warning of some sorts for the other family and a timer ( 1 minute ?)

This way, their family is still "weaker" than the other, since they could still use swords on them, without making them slaves

Maybe some kind of paper signed by Eve or whoever and another by the other family to make an official alliance.

It'll last a number of hours before decaying unless it gets renewed.

Allied families cannot use swords on each other and can curse each other.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-27 14:34:16)

#19 2019-05-27 19:18:07

BerrypickerAF

"Well that just sounds like slavery with extra steps."

Guys.. just stop. There's no good way to twist this. We already have full blown racism, if you put any form of slavery in the game you'll kill it. Realism aside, you have to draw the line somewhere and it is here.

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-05-27 19:21:58)

#20 2019-05-27 19:35:53

JonySky
Website

yes !, just what OHOL needs now ... the slaves

no matter the family or the death of beloved members or the sudden deaths of babies, the defense of the people, the long lineages, teaching new players, knowing how a city or town has worked without us, the care of our babies , the role of man in families, etc.
for what...? that is not important if we obtain the mechanics of slavery in OHOL !!!
we punish with better mechanics the players of this game with slavery ...

#21 2019-05-27 21:14:29

DestinyCall

BerrypickerAF wrote:

Guys.. just stop. There's no good way to twist this. We already have full blown racism, if you put any form of slavery in the game you'll kill it. Realism aside, you have to draw the line somewhere and it is here.

Pretty much this.   

If the game has reached the point where enslaving other races sounds like a good idea, you know there's something very wrong with the current meta.

#22 2019-05-27 21:51:11

futurebird

When your propose a game idea always think "would I put up with being on the other end of this? Or would I just quit?"

Games are wish fulfillment: why is the other person going to stick around to fulfill YOUR wish when there isn't upside for them?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#23 2019-05-27 22:37:45

RodneyC86

futurebird wrote:

When your propose a game idea always think "would I put up with being on the other end of this? Or would I just quit?"

Games are wish fulfillment: why is the other person going to stick around to fulfill YOUR wish when there isn't upside for them?

Maybe the slave should understand WHY everyone is so fearful of them in-game. I can totally understand why I would be arrested if I were to waltz into a foreign camp.

Slavery is likely temporary anyway if a mechanic to allow swords being useless after marriage happens

Of course, all this can be solved if swords are removed outright anyway. No need for convolution like this , but seems like Jason is not going to remove swords so let's have a less lethal sword, so at least eves, innocent ones, have a fair shot of integrating into another family.

Quit being such idealists people, if you were a tribe member in a stone age would you welcome a random with open arms but you KNOW theres a 1 percent chance each member of their family will murder your children for fun? Get real!

PS: inb4 people who would actually not allow you to marry and remain a slave. Welp, I think most of you on these board seems would want to marry and liberate slaves anyway, so no worries. Shackles are basically nonlethal swords, and that's a good thing. Do you REALLY enjoy the kill eve on sight meta now?

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-27 22:45:39)

#24 2019-05-27 22:49:13

RodneyC86

DestinyCall wrote:
BerrypickerAF wrote:

Pretty much this.   

If the game has reached the point where enslaving other races sounds like a good idea, you know there's something very wrong with the current meta.

Swords is what's wrong. Lucky he nerfed it but it's still a great tool for the psycho griefer.

Obviously Jason is aiming for the realist vision when he puts us all together so close and introduce something so inflammatory and stir paranoia.

#25 2019-05-28 00:42:31

BerrypickerAF

DestinyCall wrote:

Pretty much this.   

giphy.gif

Board footer