One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-25 14:01:18

futurebird

Help your town last forever* with stacks of wood!

Are you looking for a simple relaxing job that will help a town no matter what AND a job that not enough people do? Become a woodsman/woman! Here is what you should do:

When you are young find or make an Ax. Take it to the swamp, desert, stone or ice biome near town. Look for clusters of dense pine, swamp or dead tree that are very close to town. At this stage also claim or make a cart for your work. Here is the key thing: chop down every single tree until the ax is used up. Never chop trees with branches or Juniper trees. But chop everything else. Use up the Ax and bring it back to recycle.

(The reason you do this is if you chop the correct trees no one else can use that ax to chop the wrong ones, also a used up ax means that YOUR town gets all of that wood. If you only chop a few trees an Eve might steal the ax and chop her own trees god-knows-where. You are securing that wood for your town! Of course it won't do any good if you don't put it where it can be used.)

Also while you are young pull the branches off of every tree you can. Leave the branches in the wild, but stack the curved branches. You can also make stanchion kits, but only if the trees are close together.

Now start stacking firewood. You want to make at least 10 stacks of 6 firewood. Ideally right next to the fire. Future generations may face all kinds of peril and you want it to be super easy for them to keep the fire going.

When you have supplied the main fire well move on to making kindling. If the branches are far take another ax or hatchet out to the location with the branches and use baskets to bring back the kindling. If the branches are close, bring them to a clear area near the smith to chop. The smith needs as much kindling as you can manage. Assume some will be poached for egg-making and pie baking. A smith should always have two stacks of kindling, but 6 is better. If you like you can start making charcoal too at the same time.

Once you have supplied the smith it's time to go back for all the butt logs. Stack these far from the firewood so people don't waste them. If your bakery has no floor that's a good location. It's also helpful to move all of the wood working tools near the logs. This will encourage people to make more carts and buckets.

I've rarely been born in a town where I thought "this town has enough wood" -- but when you think about it the main fire is what says if your town is alive or not. When the fire goes out the town dies. Some fires burn for generations, even as the families who live there change the fire that Eve made goes on... as the woodman you keep the light of civilization alive.

*not really forever

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-25 14:04:38)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-25 14:29:51

Spoonwood

Re: Help your town last forever* with stacks of wood!

Stanchion kits or pump beam kits?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-05-25 14:33:55

futurebird

Spoonwood wrote:

Stanchion kits or pump beam kits?

I meant pump and beam.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-05-25 14:54:05

MrsDuckGirl

I agree. Be a kind kidling man.

#5 2019-05-25 15:15:55

Psykout

6IdhbL9.jpg

Not a single person in town thanked me from what I remember, or helped move any stacks. It will take a large communal change an effort to get people to want to say "Okay, this life is just for being a lumberjack and most of my hour is just moving wood" Even though in the larger sense this is something that towns really need. Someone that spends their life making cisterns and running pumps, while the engine maker does their work.

#6 2019-05-25 15:27:31

pein

if you plant a tree before 30, and live to 60, you will have a few minutes to water it twice

planting pine close to the city is good, cause they can cut it, resulting in more firewood, butt logs, heck, even shoes

now if you plan a road, it's affordable when you plant pines along the line, so just cut in place and make the floors to form a road

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer