One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-25 11:18:11

Vexenie

Six tracks with one kit

WOW! Now I'll start seeing more track in town, hopefully smile

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2019-05-25 15:12:19

Psykout

Re: Six tracks with one kit

I feel like it will just be used in towns. Spending 10-20 iron to attempt to connect a resource to a town still doesn't feel viable. In the time you could build the track you could deplete and haul the resource with a cart. If anything making tracks use wrought iron instead of steel would make them a little cheaper. Still you would run into the problem of, linking an iron mine to the town thematically makes the most sense, so you would tap a mine just to use it all on the track... I think we really need mine tech similar to pumps. Chance to exhaust the mine but could use tech to keep at them to make a track viable. Seems odd that we can hook up diesel engines to water sources to pump water from the ground, but as soon as our couple beams and bucket on an iron mine runs out, thats it.

#3 2019-05-25 17:14:52

Vexenie

Psykout wrote:

I feel like it will just be used in towns. Spending 10-20 iron to attempt to connect a resource to a town still doesn't feel viable. In the time you could build the track you could deplete and haul the resource with a cart. If anything making tracks use wrought iron instead of steel would make them a little cheaper. Still you would run into the problem of, linking an iron mine to the town thematically makes the most sense, so you would tap a mine just to use it all on the track... I think we really need mine tech similar to pumps. Chance to exhaust the mine but could use tech to keep at them to make a track viable. Seems odd that we can hook up diesel engines to water sources to pump water from the ground, but as soon as our couple beams and bucket on an iron mine runs out, thats it.

yeah, but I thought of large scale town, where sometimes you'll need to bring something to the other side of town, but it will take a long time to do this all the time, so linking a track would be useful, considering both sides send the cart back and forth.

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#4 2019-05-25 17:20:55

Tarr
Banned

Tracks still aren't really usable even with them being cheaper.

-You can still delete almost all the spare tracks down to a single piece. This means even if it has six uses you can waste five of them.
-No turning means that things still have to be a bunch of straight lines. This makes it really hard to design them let alone design town around them.
-Can't move a rail cart from the tracks without wasting steel. This means whatever you design tracks for it needs to be something permanent. This really only leaves sheep pen cleaning and something like rabbits for optimal rail use.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-05-25 18:29:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Did I miss a case there Tarr?  Track kits should never be delete-able.  When you dig up a track, you get a single track kit, which can be combined back to get a full kit, which can then be decomposed to get the blade back out.

See this thread for the reason why turning tracks won't be coming soon:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6651

What's the deal with wasting steel when removing a cart from a track?  Please post an OnelifeData7 issue about that.

#6 2019-05-25 18:35:32

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

Did I miss a case there Tarr?  Track kits should never be delete-able.  When you dig up a track, you get a single track kit, which can be combined back to get a full kit, which can then be decomposed to get the blade back out.

See this thread for the reason why turning tracks won't be coming soon:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6651

What's the deal with wasting steel when removing a cart from a track?  Please post an OnelifeData7 issue about that.

Couldn't the transitions be done dynamically?

Like you select all the different objects and it creates dynamically all the different possible combinations?

#7 2019-05-25 18:46:10

Tarr
Banned

Okay, looking now that might actually be fixed. I assumed cross-tracks still used a charge (or as previously a second track.) Seems that was actually fixed so you can't just delete all the tracks like you could previously.

In regards to the not being able to actually get them to turn that's fine, it just severely limits their overall usability as we don't have many objects that need hauled from A to B long term. This means as of writing the only things that can use a constant rail is either sheep or bunnies.

So the only thing that is reasonable to fix with the other post is making a way to get the carts off the tracks without crashing it.

Other suggestion would be letting multiple carts on a track and if two meet they just act as a stop instead of both crashing resulting in deleted tracks + two broken carts. This would allow for better hauling overall without all the drawback of only moving four items at a time.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-05-25 19:40:52)

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer