One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-24 13:24:18

Wuatduhf

Rework week: YUM chain & Rail Kits

If this coming week is going to look at changing how YUM works (which I think is good, just the caveat of Yum affecting birth preference), I think that the previous topic suggestion for reworking Rail Kits should be looked at.

Thread from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/onehouronelife … ance_pass/

Track Kits are incredibly expensive, at a 1:1 rate of steel per block transported. The Track Kit should adjust to be 1:8 or 1:6 Steel per blocks transported, so that there is a greater incentive to actually use them.

Additional improvements to rail kits so that they saw game relevance:

• A way to either temporarily/permanently "lock" the tracks in place so they cannot easily be griefed.

• Turning tracks to switch from NS to EW and vice-versa.

• More cart transport space, and/or people transport via carts

• Diesel engine rail carts?

#2 2019-05-24 15:01:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Rework week: YUM chain & Rail Kits

Yes, will consider making the tracks much cheaper.  Maybe I'll experiment with making them work like property fences (infinite, once the kit is built).

I actually had turning tracks all drawn.  They looked amazing.

The problem was implementing them in the transition engine, because of combinatoric explosion.  The carts are actually implemented like moving animals (no special code in the engine for them), just like a sheep that can move onto your carrot patch and eat the carrots, then move away after and leave an eaten row behind.

So, right now, we have:

Cart moving East + EW track
and
Cart moving East + eastern track end
and
Cart moving East off west end + EW track
and
Cart moving East off west end + eastern track end.

Four cases for E-moving carts.  Also 4 for each of NSW carts.  Total of 16.  That's okay.

But if we have turning tracks in the mix, there are four more track pieces that the moving carts might encounter when moving off ends and off straight pieces (so that's 32 more transitions right there), plus there need to be transitions for when the carts move OFF of the curved pieces onto straight pieces (16 more), plus transitions for when carts move off of a curved piece onto another curved piece (64 more).  These are rough numbers.  But it's a heck of a lot of cases.

The only idea I have right now to cut through this thicket is a "turn table" thing that you can install in a cart crossroad, and when a cart hits it, it stops and waits for 5 seconds.  During that time, someone can pull a lever to rotate the cart, and after 5 more seconds, it goes in that direction.  If no one pulls the lever, it keeps going in the original direction.

Still some confusion over an EW cart that hits the turntable.  If you pull the lever, it becomes a NS cart, but which way does it move after that, N or S?  I guess there would have to be 4 states of the turntable with a clear arrow or something, so you can easily send it where you want it to go.

#3 2019-05-24 15:23:24

Potjeh

If carts are animals, can you somehow reuse the biome restriction mechanics? Basically carts are restricted to a rails "biome", can only move in cardinal directions and the AI remembers the direction it moved last tick and tries to move in the same direction in the current tick, or +/- 90 degrees if that direction is unavailable (stops moving if the only direction available is back the same way it came). You lose derailing that way, but is it really that important to have it?

#4 2019-05-24 15:36:17

Booklat1

jason can you please add mine upgrades? it would boost rails by two different means (more iron and mines becoming a semi-permanent stationary resource site)

rails are only good when transporting from stationary sources so oil and water are already examples of what rails could do, so maybe iron and passengers is the next step?

#5 2019-05-24 17:41:55

Dantox

It would also be a step forward to having trains to transport multiple people at the same time

make bread, no war

#6 2019-05-24 18:00:47

wondible

Could the cart leave an internally different tile behind, which would be invalid for carts, and decay back in a few seconds. It would only see the remaining rails as valid moves. Might need railroad switches to control them through intersections. Other problem is this mode might allow diagonal movements, which would look weird. Parallel rails would be right out.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2019-05-24 18:54:09

Wuatduhf

Well that was a quick response!

Hmm, I'm not sure how well-supported a turntable would be, since the idea for turning would be for getting around long stretches of trees or impassable terrain. If there was some way to automate the turntable, that could work, but presently the lack of turning is a slight issue for track viability. (and it's a shame, too, I really love trains.)

Board footer