One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-23 15:54:05

futurebird

Everyone was trapped until the fence decayed.

clEEqkK.jpg

Been in two towns with not enough gates, and no one really paying attention to if the gates are being shared and opened for people who need them. Oddly we were OK in one town since we had 3 tanks of kerosine, compost, lots of stacked wood, a tree farm. I wonder if it would be possible to make a "finite map" type of mini game where you have this small resource-dense area, and you need to manage things correctly to live as long as possible. In the town with the kerosine I think they could have lasted for 4 generations. But they were trapped, whoever made and closed all the gates wandered off without giving anyone else permission or they were ignoring all of the yelling about how they were closed. I checked names but couldn't find the person.

Ominously one gate was owned by some rando eve! New griefing game: creep around with a round stone and piece of rope and trap the people in the town.

a0pKrVt.jpg

Please let me in!

V647CRC.png

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-23 15:55:57)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-23 16:39:34

Jk Howling

Re: Everyone was trapped until the fence decayed.

had something similar happen in a town a few days ago. The fenced-in area was pretty damn big [we even had part of the nearest prairie enclosed for rabbit hunting] but we were still trapped. We had no round stones whatsoever, as some asshole had turned them all into sharp stones, so we couldn't make pie or stew or anything.. but we had plenty of water and the berry fields.

There was also an asshole on horseback who came and started renewing all the weak spots. Luckily he missed a single corner near the east end of town and we were able to escape. The guy came in through there eventually and we dispatched him [he had a sword and a knife so we took no chances].

I took his horse to scout and gather supplies we needed [like iron] but came back to our civ having died, the last girl apparently was a troll and had essentially killed herself. Was me, 2 guys and an old female. We found another horse and left the walled city to start war but never found any living people.

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2019-05-23 16:47:38

Vexenie

futurebird wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/clEEqkK.jpg

Been in two towns with not enough gates, and no one really paying attention to if the gates are being shared and opened for people who need them. Oddly we were OK in one town since we had 3 tanks of kerosine, compost, lots of stacked wood, a tree farm. I wonder if it would be possible to make a "finite map" type of mini game where you have this small resource-dense area, and you need to manage things correctly to live as long as possible. In the town with the kerosine I think they could have lasted for 4 generations. But they were trapped, whoever made and closed all the gates wandered off without giving anyone else permission or they were ignoring all of the yelling about how they were closed. I checked names but couldn't find the person.

Ominously one gate was owned by some rando eve! New griefing game: creep around with a round stone and piece of rope and trap the people in the town.

https://i.imgur.com/a0pKrVt.jpg

Please let me in!

https://i.imgur.com/V647CRC.png

If we could make ties and dye button-ups grey and pants too, this would be perfect for the meme
ohol let me in! meme
original let me in! meme

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#4 2019-05-23 17:16:50

wondible

I got trapped outside my town in a life a few days back. We lost our sheep; farm was in bad shape so I went out for berries and carrot bowls. Got stuck outside, along with someone leading a lamb. Near the end of my life so I left the cart by the door and starved.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#5 2019-05-23 17:27:01

DestinyCall

I'm kind of surprised more griefers don't build long fences outside of towns.   I guess it is too boring and repetative compared with making a bow or finding a sword and going on a killing spree.

#6 2019-05-23 18:28:34

lychee

I’ve gotten (almost) stuck inside a town too.

Eve/grinder/raider from another town came and claimed all the gates. Before anyone noticed, all the gates were shut and locked and no one could get out.

It’s part of the reason I dislike property twigs — I’d be fine with it if the game didn’t try to pretend anythng and just said these were magical forcefield sticks that project an impenetrable plasma forcefield. When I locked inside of a town, I stare at the sticks and find it ridiculous that we can’t get out of our own fence.

They look super flimsy. A little kick and they should fall over!

But no. We’ll just starve to death inside because we can’t remove our own rickety sticks.

It’s incredibly immersion breaking, you know?

#7 2019-05-23 19:18:01

DestinyCall

lychee wrote:

I’ve gotten (almost) stuck inside a town too.

Eve/grinder/raider from another town came and claimed all the gates. Before anyone noticed, all the gates were shut and locked and no one could get out.

It’s part of the reason I dislike property twigs — I’d be fine with it if the game didn’t try to pretend anythng and just said these were magical forcefield sticks that project an impenetrable plasma forcefield. When I locked inside of a town, I stare at the sticks and find it ridiculous that we can’t get out of our own fence.

They look super flimsy. A little kick and they should fall over!

But no. We’ll just starve to death inside because we can’t remove our own rickety sticks.

It’s incredibly immersion breaking, you know?

It is even more amusing when you consider that the "official" explaination for why the flimsy fence acts as an effective barrier is that is a symbolic representation  of personal property and community approval.   So you could technically step over the fence into your neighbor's yard, but you respect his right to personal property too much to cross an approved fence.   

So when you town starves inside its own walls, at least you can die secure in the knowledge that you were very respectful villagers and you stood by your principles to the very end.

#8 2019-05-23 20:24:03

Kai

I've starved just outside the town gates on more than one occasion, I could probably have survived if I had returned to the wild to forage instead of hoping for someone to open the gate, but I was just *done* at that point.

Other time I saw eve just walk in and I couldn't close the gate to prevent her from escaping with our stuff.

Property fences only work in an ideal world, which ours and by extension ohol aren't.

#9 2019-05-23 20:34:55

Booklat1

lychee wrote:

yeah, but its better to add magical features than balance actual walls and doors, you know?

#10 2019-05-24 06:06:33

Psykout

Either you are trapped, are extremely hindered by their presence, adding a ton of travel for even the most mundane thing such as grabbing a stone right on the other side of the fence. The more time that goes on, the more these fences are causing stress and frustration.

Board footer