One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-22 22:36:49

futurebird

Ways to get more players to leave town.

I don't know if the recent update has made it worse, but people really really really do not leave town enough or look around in the surrounding area nearly enough. Most towns have at least one or town dead bodies next to carts not far from them. Often you find a little "griefer stash" of half made bows and stolen pies. I also find curious structures, swords, knives, fancy clothing, all just lurking right outside of town.

The current top reasons to leave town are:?
-rabbits
-iron
-scavening
-rare minerals
-yum
-exploring
-kindling
-wood
-gathering stones
-oil

I think a big reason people don't like to leave is they don't like to be alone. But, it's kinda hard to explore or do these other tasks in a group. I've found that if you ask people for help with or to do any task that involves trips out of town they really don't want to do it. And I find that I'm doing one of the above tasks almost every time that I play.

Anyway, if you are the type who stays in town all the time, please consider helping to at least look around in the nearby forests. Just having people moving around can scare away bad actors. (Often I'll see an Eve with a bow and even though I'm unarmed she runs from me) There is a lot going on outside of town, ya'll.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-22 22:39:51

lychee

Re: Ways to get more players to leave town.

Sometimes I find the asking suspicious— a lot of murders are done just a tiny bit outside of town.

#3 2019-05-22 22:42:52

futurebird

lychee wrote:

Sometimes I find the asking suspicious— a lot of murders are done just a tiny bit outside of town.

Oh. Yeah I didn't think of that. No wonder people always turn me down they think I'm a murderer. sad

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-05-23 00:05:24

DestinyCall

It is hard to explore safely with such  a tight view distance and easy to die of starvation if you wander too far from the village as a new player.   I can understand people being reluctant to leave the relative security of the village.

#5 2019-05-23 02:36:40

Bob 101

Well exploring is hard, Only REALLY  need to leave town for iron ore. Greater tech like radios and whatnot require exotic ores but aren't needed for the town.

You could add long term pollution from overuse of diesel+ technologies. Wasteland biome that has unfavorable temp, Kills domestic animals and is unfarmable. Overtime your land becomes uninhabitable and you have to move, You can't just not build diesel because you'll die from drought.

You could develop cleaner non-crude stuff but the damage isn't fixable. So you move and make a camp, This time with modern technology. Now you can enjoy peace until your nuclear power plant melts down.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-23 02:48:01)

#6 2019-05-23 02:42:28

lychee

Bob 101 wrote:

Well exploring is hard, Only REALLY  need to leave town for iron ore. Greater tech like radios and whatnot require exotic ores but aren't needed for the town.

Well, by the time you have enough knowledge for those advanced things, you've probably gotten to the point where you're comfortable leaving town.

#7 2019-05-23 05:54:49

pein

to be fair, map looks quite the same

also his reintroducing of the tall items bug is silly
like i seen 20 rabbits and i thought, oh yeah,here worth to make an outpost
if that 30 rabbits are spread into 3 places it's just waste of time
so i don't mind him nerfing rarity, but he shouldn't nerf the jackpots

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-05-23 12:00:58

Booklat1

map is too homogeneous, too few rare resources really matter, all biomes are close.

Making current resources and biomes more interesting in general should spark some measure of exploration.
Gold, copper and lime should get more uses so we actually have the need to gather them.
Wood is also a great candidate for a resource becoming more valuable, because we have ways to grow more if exploring is too hard. Rubber is good because of the need for sulphur.

Of course making biomes larger will make exploring a bigger need but it may also scare some people, so incentives need to be given.

#9 2019-05-23 13:02:14

RodneyC86

Booklat1 wrote:

map is too homogeneous, too few rare resources really matter, all biomes are close.

Making current resources and biomes more interesting in general should spark some measure of exploration.
Gold, copper and lime should get more uses so we actually have the need to gather them.
Wood is also a great candidate for a resource becoming more valuable, because we have ways to grow more if exploring is too hard. Rubber is good because of the need for sulphur.

Of course making biomes larger will make exploring a bigger need but it may also scare some people, so incentives need to be given.

We can also spawn some rare motherlodes - rarely found but a massive boon to nearby villages

Great Warrens - Plains - Cluster of ~30 bunnies in a 10 x 10 area
Flood Plains - Swamp -A 10 x 5 strip of wet land, that after being drained of water, is made of fertile soil stacks
Motherlode - Badlands -  a line of 10 iron veins (this is definitely OP and can make a village so full of iron, it can catapult them to the industrial era, but this will be rare and oh so very exciting to find)
Geysers - found in grasslands - radiates a small amount of heat for free - and unlimited supply of sulphurous water for rubber production - but you need to catch them while geyser is spouting!
Hemp fields - Overgrowths of can rarely be found near tundras ( not a hemp expert - i hear they grown in cold regions usually) - giving a boon of ropes made of hemp fibre - needs to be cut with a good blade though, since they are so tough - also - domesticating  hemp gives chance of getting Cannabis (POTHEADS YAY!)

I think there could be way more ideas, I'm just not too good at them

#10 2019-05-23 23:19:38

pein

temporary resources? like mushroom after rain?
just a rain effect then you can go out and gather shrooms to eat
or some iron spawns for a while so every time you go out you can find stuff but others wont affect you that much if they do it in other times
so you got a chance to find iron even if 100 years ago your grandma collected it all

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-05-23 23:27:00

RodneyC86

pein wrote:

or some iron spawns for a while so every time you go out you can find stuff but others wont affect you that much if they do it in other times
so you got a chance to find iron even if 100 years ago your grandma collected it all

Meteorite iron would be cool. Then we have a space sword to stab people with

#12 2019-05-23 23:39:06

futurebird

RodneyC86 wrote:
pein wrote:

Meteorite iron would be cool. Then we have a space sword to stab people with

There is an ominous crash and flash of light from the stone biome nearby. If you hurry you can get 4-6 iron from the ground and a new vein to mine! But, wait too long and it's gone! I do think people would run out to check it out.

Or what about some kind of fish bounty where all the ice holes give a fish 100 percent of the time for like 4 min. Before the rush the fish start jumping in the holes and you have about 8 min to make more rods and make the most of it.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-23 23:39:35)

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer