One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-22 16:47:19

miskas

Make Killing not the only option, Interracial Marriages!

I have witnessed a lot of killing going on after the "come together" update.

Even if many of us chose to live in harmony with other families, we have none incentive to act that way.
On the contrary, whenever a foreigner Woman comes, there are a lot of risks to accept her in and neither the foreigner can be assured that she and her family will be safe. 
Because even if the current generation is peaceful the children who would see the no relation tag, might not be.
So, natives and foreigners, most of the time kill anyone who has no relation to them because they can't trust, them or their babies.

With Marriages peace among families is an option.
Also, Males become more useful and have a purpose instead of going berserk whenever their family lineage run out of fertile women. Instead of wiping out entire villages, Men would be able to bring peace among families by taking a Woman from the other family.

In general, we need more incentives to communicate and co-operate with one another or the only way we will be coming together will be with swords.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … terracial/

Last edited by miskas (2019-05-22 16:48:21)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-05-22 16:55:13

Buggy

Re: Make Killing not the only option, Interracial Marriages!

Having the families further apart from one another again would also help. Families competing for resources makes it harder for everyone to survive while having your family spread out in lots of cities across the map (maybe through marriage) would make it so your line is more likely to survive.

If one city fails your family line could live on in another town. Spreading out also means you can avoid area ban so there are already in game reasons to do this.

#3 2019-05-22 18:34:09

futurebird

I don't know if "inter racial" is the right word for it but I have said that marriage would be a great thing to add for a long time. Marriage between anyone with different last names with the effects:

-Honeymoon period: you learn language from each other like you are a child for 3 years after being married. So you must talk or you don't learn each other's language.
-small fertility boost for man/woman pairings
-men can now have kids on the family tree!

I think this would be amazing.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-05-22 18:54:42

Keyin

I really don't think marriage should be a mechanic of the game because it's a social construct. Marriage is not the same for all cultures. Marriage doesn't even exist in all cultures. There is the issue of same-sex, child marriage, arranged marriage, polygamy, etc.

You would have to make limitation on the marriage system and ask questions like

What is the minimum age a character can get married?

What is the maximum age a character can get married?

What is the maximum age gap between characters getting married(can a 14yr old marry a 49yr old?)?

Can marriage be between only a man and woman, or can individuals of the same sex marry?

Can individuals from the same family get married? If so, how unrelated must they be(ex; must be at least third cousins)

Can individuals get a divorce?

Can individuals re-marry?

Can individuals have multiple spouses?

Can parents arrange marriages?

So, by making these choices you are effectively forcing a culture(probably western culture) mechanically on people in the game... I would much rather have a more informal 'lovers' system, where you are able to have as many 'lovers' as you want.

#5 2019-05-22 19:20:46

Amon

It's as much of a construct as names are, just because it's something people made up, is arbitrarily, a ritual, etc. doesen't mean it's something that cannot be a solidified practice and supported practive in game.

Marriage would be wonderful, it's worth to take a look at all the other thread suggestions.
I'm actually rather ambvivalent on having it only on non same surname marriages.
I'd support remarrying in the same family tree because your Xth cousin once removed is more so a stranger than a meaningful relative, though cross marriage should have it's benefits, like pure bilingularity and the continuum of an almost doomed bloodline.

Last edited by Amon (2019-05-22 19:22:10)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2019-05-22 19:48:56

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thinking about something like this in the future.

Everyone wanted people to come together for the longest time.  "We're too far apart, we can never visit other towns."  Well, now you're close together, and there are problems.  It's not just the war sword.  There would be problems no matter what.  Resources are limited in a given area.

#7 2019-05-22 20:34:17

futurebird

Keyin wrote:

I really don't think marriage should be a mechanic of the game because it's a social construct. Marriage is not the same for all cultures.

But swords that only kill people not in your family, fences that can't be destroyed by force, and tops hats are totally universal?

Eh. It'd be impossible to have a game at all without any social constructs.

I think it'd be fine to have marriage work in families too, but maybe you don't get the fertility bonus. Same kind of idea for same sex pairings.

Some other thoughts:
-It'd be nice if when people with different names married they got a new last name. That could even be the mechanic. You both say "We are NEW_LAST_NAME" while standing close together and you both get that name. You could reuse one of your current names, but you need to say identical names and pretty much at the same time.

-Don't want people to marry *just* to learn language. Perhaps losing the war sword power and getting the ability to curse would be enough of a deterrent? Maybe when you marry you become vulnerable to your existing family since you are literally making a new family line? A more extreme idea would be that you die at the same time. You literally can't live without each other.

Tangent:
My grandmother died at 98 her husband, my grandfather was in as good health as you can be at 99 when she died. He only lasted 3 months after she was gone. It was really sad ...but also really touching in a way. They were together for nearly 70 years... He said "Things just don't make sense anymore without her."

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-22 20:47:22)

---
omnem cibum costis

#8 2019-05-22 20:40:43

futurebird

jasonrohrer wrote:

Everyone wanted people to come together for the longest time.  "We're too far apart, we can never visit other towns."  Well, now you're close together, and there are problems.  It's not just the war sword.  There would be problems no matter what.  Resources are limited in a given area.

That's really great and I generally agree that the sword post adjustments isn't really the cause of all the (extra, kind of unmotivated) violence we've been seeing. I think it's the combo of Eves being close AND immune to curses. Now for most players the threat of being killed makes them avoid villages, but if you aren't in the game to raise a family and survive that isn't important and you can just go in to towns and cause all kinds of problems.

It's not even like there are a lot of people doing this. It's just a few I suspect. But, they are really persistent.

IDK if just having curses work on outsiders again would be the great though (didn't you find that curses never worked outside of a family?) But, I'd rather not have curses mixed in with "legitimate" raids. Like if a a desperate Eve decides to steal a little iron, she should NOT get cursed for that or worry about curses she should be worried about getting killed... that's more interesting.

But, I don't feel like there is any good defense or response in the game to Eve suicide bombers. Eves who aren't coming at your town to try to kill you since they think that's the only way to survive, but just for the LULZ, you know?

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-22 22:19:39)

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-05-22 21:32:00

miskas

futurebird wrote:

But, I don't feel like there is any good defense or response in the game to Eve suicide bombers. Eves who aren't coming to your town to try to kill you since they think that's the only way to survive, but just for the LULZ, you know?

The Eve suicide bomber is easily solvable.
First merry her to protect your lineage from sword fighting and getting rid the no relation tag of her (newborn?) babies.
Second, implement a change that killing with a knife requires 2 hits
(First hit, you will not be able to hold anything but other people can feed you. Second hit people can't feed you and you die if none patch you up)

Last edited by miskas (2019-05-22 21:33:27)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#10 2019-05-22 22:12:08

lychee

I also agree that there are ways to implement marriage without restricting oneself too deeply according to social constructs.

In my view, if a fertile male/female pair mutually “marry”, the main outcome should be a fertility boost (and the family tree added for the male).

To marry, both players type /MARRY YOURNAME in close proximity. Maybe this could display a special heart icon when this is done.

Any two people could do this action (this enabling LGBT marriages), but the lineage/fertility effects are only applied if it’s a male-female pairing, both are fertile, and the couple is at least separated by two-degrees of relatedness (e.g. first cousin... pick a degree!).

Players could /MARRY someone else at any time, annulling the previous effect.

Only the most recent marriage pair is considered active. For polygamous couples, I guess players would have to /MARRY back and forth and take turns.

Last edited by lychee (2019-05-22 22:15:25)

#11 2019-05-22 22:23:57

Amon

jasonrohrer wrote:

The good comes with the bad, but if we find solutions to lessen the bads, the goods will be all the much better, as well for the potential they offer us.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#12 2019-05-23 02:25:35

Keyin

Yes, adding marriage wouldn't be the first social construct added to the game.

Naming is something where, I understand the choice of just giving the last name of your mom, but more naming convention would be really nice... playing as Thor Odinson with my father named Odin would be really awesome for example. Having the option to have your surname displayed before your first name would be nice too. So would middle names. Maybe even middle names based on your parents names. Names based on what job you want to do. I would be all for increasing the number of choices we have.

As for clothing, the fancy clothing update did make me think... what..? really..? okay...
It is definitely very rooted in western culture, and I do think more neutral clothing like what was done with rabbit/seal fur would have been nicer. However, I was not around at the time to share my opinion on it.

There are a lot of cultural choices Jason has already made for the game
-only one way to make fire
-only some animals can be eaten
-tomb stones
-clothing
-naming conventions
-which foods/recipes exist (I think all foods should be able to be eaten, whether they're complete or not)
-land ownership via fences

The only ones that really directly change how you directly interact with others are curses, language, warsword, fences, surnames, and marriage would be an addition to this group.

Curses give you an incentive to be nice to those who can curse you, or will be able to curse you in the future that we don't have in real life. I feel like this is okay, because in ohol it is much more difficult for you to apply social pressure due to the limited amount of time and lack of consequences, where there would be some in real life.

I am a huge fan of how Jason did languages. I just wish instead of making it impossible for adult to learn he had just made it much more difficult. It feels very natural for the most part and not really a social construct... if anything, it prevents us from abusing our meta-knowledge of our near-universal language(english) that our characters would not have in game.

Warsword I agree it is strange to think that it can only affect non family members. Like, I can use this on someone I grew up with even if their family has grown up in the same town as mine for generations, but if I go to fight the neighboring village whom I have never met, I find myself unable to fight them because they're a group who branched off from my family a few hundred years ago. I think the way it is now, I would be fine if it worked on everyone.

Fences, to be fair do have measures put in place to allow people the opportunity to prevent land from being claimed. I will agree that if property fences are super cheap/basically free they should be easily able to be broken down. I would favor a system requiring property fences needing to become a reinforced fence by using materials on it, and regular property fences being easier to tear down.

---

I mostly agree with the system that lychee proposes, however I still like a lovers system better because it would give more freedom and because of the drama it could create. I was recently stabbed due to some light rp, I pretended to be the father of some woman's kid and another woman pretended I was her kid's father. The first woman was outraged. I went along with it, and got stabbed for my infidelity.

Monogamy is not natural, plain and simple. How do I know? Because you would be hard pressed to name animals that are, and of the ones that are.. most of them cheat(including humans, quite a lot actually...kinda scary). I think a lovers system would be more natural and allow players their own choice on how to approach it. It would allow for many different social dynamics to form(and drama).

For example, in some towns maybe only one man is married to all the women, and he only allows his daughters to be married off to his closest friend?

Maybe you enter a matriarchal town, and only the elite women are allowed to have male lovers, because their line is the most important.

Maybe you enter a town where polygamy is frowned upon, most people have only one lover and those who have more are looked down upon.

Maybe you are lovers with someone whom you refer to as your wife, and she has a baby, but it doesn't look like you..? Oh, she secretly had another lover.

Maybe there's only one female left, and having her have 5 male lovers will boost her fertility much more significantly than just 1?

Also, with high mortality it makes sense to remarry. I think it was in ancient Hebrew culture that, after a man died, his brother would marry his wife. Their next child was considered that of the man who passed away. -This sort of culture wouldn't be able to form if you limited people to one spouse/lover because the living brother might already be married.

For curiosity, I did a quick google search, because I heard that the % of cousin marriages are high... as much as 20% of marriages are between first cousins. So, even the choice to restrict marriage to cousins who are far removed and another family could be considered a cultural choice for the game as well. Up to 20% of married people might feel alienated because of the choice to restrict it. From an article "having a child with your first cousin raises the risk of a significant birth defect from about 3-to-4 percent to about 4-to-7 percent"..not much. I also found that, after some research couples are most fertile with 3rd/4th cousins. We humans are more related to each other than we think. The last common ancestor we share is from probably central Asia about 600-700 years ago(around mongol time)... or 10-12hrs in game.

If it becomes common for every player to marry and have kids, and close cousins are barred from marriage, you would quickly become reliant on eves bringing in fresh blood OR taking a break for a few generations for 'sky-daddy' to make the population less related.

With towns only having a population of a few dozen at most rather than hundreds or thousands, even if you were careful with who married who, everyone would be closely related after only a few generations.

#13 2019-05-23 03:01:10

Booklat1

Gold rings plz, gold could get new uses since its so common now

Board footer