One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-18 09:56:14

Matbat

Eves are barbarian menaces, please fix.

Just playing for around a hour and a half I encountered what I am pretty sure was the same player multiple times attacking my village despite being killed every time.
Using the tight grid eve spawning mechanic they kept spawning nearby and finding little camps to attack with the bow they rushed to make in the wild.

Right now people have a firey prejudice against eves, because all we've ever really seen them do is come in, take/grab a sword, and start killing people.
Why? they have NOTHING to lose. they can kill everyone and they can come back and wander and go kill the nearest person they stumble apon just for the heck of it.
A fix that wouldn't cause massive disruption (though, doing this always causes trouble..) is disabling eves ability to kill.

let me go over this again.
eve spawns at the perfect age to start killing.
they spawn on the tight grid system which means they "can wander in any cardinal direction to find a town" (quoting, because its Jason's words)
eve has nothing to lose, they'll just respawn nearby, and can attack again.
eve now cannot kill, fixes on-sight xenophobia and allows a generation of learning language before people start killing each other

Just keep this post in mind next time an eve starts attacking your town.

#2 2019-05-18 10:01:00

MultiLife

Re: Eves are barbarian menaces, please fix.

Sounds terrible. Small camps also rarely have enough people who can curs--

Oh wait.

You can't curse people outside of your family.

WELP.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-05-18 10:08:21

pein

maybe swords should be family locked, or at least read the inscription of a sword to be able to use it
once it's bloody, anyone can take it

to be fair if you spawn near others, the best choice is not to start a camp until you find the resources to do so
so like a vein closeby and decent spot with a spring, some rabbits, and just assemble the shovel asap

but if you find remnants of other families, you will not find any resources so might as well find a small camp with fire tools at least

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-05-18 12:55:19

Mushroom

Somebody mentioned, that we should have some NPCs inviding villages from time to time, once (don't remember who that was, sorry). It would be like the hounds in Don't Strave.

I personally think of the barbarian Eves as the hounds, who come back to attack players, forcing them to set up some defenses. It's a funny thought, dunno if we really want the things to look like this in the game, but it's funny smile

Dickbutt

#5 2019-05-18 13:12:29

karltown_veteran

MultiLife wrote:

Sounds terrible. Small camps also rarely have enough people who can curs--

Oh wait.

You can't curse people outside of your family.

WELP.

If families are going to coexist, then you should be able to curse someone in your general area, not necessarily your family.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#6 2019-05-18 13:32:15

Lotus

I agree that Eves are becoming a problem now.

But I have had to kill as an Eve before. My family was attacked in a village, so I shot the perpetrator. In an Eve camp, my son was a griefer. I had to kill him.

Maybe not being able to kill innocent people (people in other families who haven’t killed anyone in their lifetime) or something would at least stifle the problem.

#7 2019-05-18 14:14:29

DestinyCall

Or change the way Eves are generated so they are not the default option when you get lineage-banned from all other lines.    This encourages people to suicide if they want to play as Eve and also lets peopple spam Eve runs instead of taking the role more seriously.

There were many good suggestions in another thread about this, but for example, you could change it so that you need to earn the ability to Eve by living a full life (Eve token) and if you get lineage banned from all existing lines, you are redirected to one of the low pop servers instead of spawning as an Eve on big server.    You only spawn as an Eve naturally (no token) if there are no other viable mothers on the server, which would be rare on big server, except after updates.   If you try to connect directly to a server where you are banned from all existing lines, the client would prompt you to play on a different server for a while.   The lineage ban is ninety minutes.

This change would reduce Eves on big server and impact murderers, since they are banned from their victim's line, and reduce /die spamming to become Eve.

#8 2019-05-18 14:48:44

Buggy

You have a few options to deal with the dangerous feral eves:
1: kill them before the kill you, set up a town guard with a bow that shoots all outsiders sad
2: build a city wall/ cage for your village
3: turn all the springs nearby into wells to prevent close eve spawns
4: build cages around the eve spawns to trap eves. This is more difficult since Jason patched but you can still do it.  A 7*7 cage centered on the spring will catch most spawns and a 16*16 will trap all eves that spawns at that area.

I only like option 3 personally but these are probably your only options till at least monday.

#9 2019-05-18 15:56:44

DestinyCall

One thing I would strongly suggest - don't just kill every Eve on sight.     This actually makes the problem worse.    Wait to see if the Eve is feral before assuming she will be a problem.   If you kill an Eve, she will respawn nearby.   If she finds your village again, she is more likely to be hostile BECAUSE you just killed her.   

So prepare for hostile Eves and be watchful of everyone in the village (anyone can be a griefer).    But do not just start killing anyone who visits your town.   

I also strongly encourage people to utilize nearby springs by turning them into wells and starting small farms if the area is viable.  This can significantly reduce water pressure in your main town and help move your farms closer to a renewable source of water, which reduces long-term labor costs.     And it pushes Eve spawns further away from your village center.

#10 2019-05-18 16:10:43

Buggy

DestinyCall wrote:

One thing I would strongly suggest - don't just kill every Eve on sight.     This actually makes the problem worse.    Wait to see if the Eve is feral before assuming she will be a problem.   If you kill an Eve, she will respawn nearby.   If she finds your village again, she is more likely to be hostile BECAUSE you just killed her.   

So prepare for hostile Eves and be watchful of everyone in the village (anyone can be a griefer).    But do not just start killing anyone who visits your town.   

I also strongly encourage people to utilize nearby springs by turning them into wells and starting small farms if the area is viable.  This can significantly reduce water pressure in your main town and help move your farms closer to a renewable source of water, which reduces long-term labor costs.     And it pushes Eve spawns further away from your village center.

It makes me sad that this is the case but a friendly eve will eventually have a murderous descendant. It is inevitable. You can exist peacefully for generations but then one of your or their kids will be bad and the murderfest will start.
If you can tell who the bad apples are you may be able to get their family to curse the offender (If there is enough of them who are old enough) but it is much more difficult then just having a monoculture.

There is no real in game benefit to having a mixed family town only drawbacks I wish the game didn't push this attitude, I really like the language stuff it is fun.

#11 2019-05-18 16:57:35

DestinyCall

I'm actively resisting the development of a "kill the outsiders" meta.   I'm not okay with it, on several levels.    I'd rather take my chances and deal with the griefers individually rather than let fear of griefers turn me xenophobic toward people of other races.  That's just not right, even in a game.

Most players in this game are good people.   Judge them by their actions, not their sprites.

#12 2019-05-18 17:22:58

Matbat

DestinyCall wrote:

Sometimes by the time you see the eve is too late, even with zoom their character model isn't completely loaded you don't know if they're running straight into town with drawn bow and by the time you come to accept the eve in open arms there's an arrow in your chest.
Right now we can only hope to see entirely passive and servile (helping out and earning their keep) behaviour,  making sure they talk to babies and such too.. basically being a very nice and normal player... BUT no normal nice player (unless they are familiar with the mechanics) /dies to become an eve, unless that is there specific goal. Thus leading to prejudice against eves, the idea that any eve that is out there and looking for a civ is almost sure to be a eve that is looking to kill it.

Buggy wrote:

It makes me sad that this is the case but a friendly eve will eventually have a murderous descendant. It is inevitable. You can exist peacefully for generations but then one of your or their kids will be bad and the murderfest will start.

While this is sadly true, eves still cause problems in this regard. A random eve may come to a dual-line town and kill here and there and people will start suspecting the other line for it. Then they start destroying themselves from the inside because a disruptive outside force (I personally haven't seen this specific scenario, but have almost seen it before.).

Board footer