One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 20:56:40

EmmyGamba

Seriously, why is murdering people so ridiculously easy in this game?

You really shouldn't be able to just "click" someone away like its no big deal, especially not with something as cheap and easy to make as a bow. Honestly I've never seen knifes as a problem and I've never been killed by one. They are more rare, harder to make and you have to actually be close to your victim to finish it off. So the dude following you with a knife in his hand will rarely be outside of your screen. And usually, when I see someone running around with a knife - I just stay at distance.

But bows, oh bows - they're an open invitation for everyone who doesn't like you for the oddest reason and make you just magically poof away. Instead of solving problems by lets say.. communicating? That is, if they're not shoting you just because they're bored or something. Most of the time you won't even know why someone way outside of your screen sniped you into oblivion, after you spend 20-30 years working hard filling the villages storage up with food, clothing or other ressources.

In my opinion you should at least need two shots or two people to kill someone. That way it wouldn't be so convenient without any possible consequences anymore, but you'd still be able to get rid of someone, if you really have to or just want to be a psychopath. Which is completely fine. I actually enjoyed when I saw for the time a dude going rampage with a knife - it was a different kind of story. I liked it.

But at this point the random kills are just becoming too much and I'm really sick of 60% of my lifes in big villages ending by beeing shot by someone I couldn't even see. It doesn't matter if you carry a weapon of your own with you, it doesn't matter if you just get rid of all bows and weapon inside that village - some random dude will just make his own bow quick and end you before you're even able think about defending yourself.

Oh and don't tell me its just more realistic that way, like some people did. Ever seen a 10 year old kid making a bow out of primitive tools and ressources and then snipe you in one shot without any training? Me neither.

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-18 22:28:14)

#2 2018-03-18 23:07:14

jakeinmn

Re: Seriously, why is murdering people so ridiculously easy in this game?

The game just got launched. Let the community or Jason patch it in time.

#3 2018-03-18 23:27:56

Helperguy

There are two simple options to solve this problem:
-it can be the same mechanism as with a baer, which has to be hit three times by a bow
-or a hit should make more hungry

#4 2018-03-19 16:57:17

sammoh

Violence against other humans is disabled on my server.

https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#5 2018-03-19 17:19:56

draequine

Helperguy wrote:

There are two simple options to solve this problem:
-or a hit should make more hungry

It should remove a chunk of MAX hunger, like 1/4 which Insta kills unwanted kids/farm griefers, and the arrow(s) are/is stuck in them until they pull it off,which is what actually kills them.

This stops a killing spree, while keeping the consequences.

Plus, arrow storage!

Currently it is a matter of hiding arrows and making sure it's a pain to make them.

#6 2018-03-19 19:45:06

Aname

Yeah its fucking shit. Like my recent game was shit

i was born a boy there was some guy who wanted to kill everyone non related like why.

so some years passed and legit everyone had bows and where shooting at each other

it was like a war or something.

i had to kill people too i was Lucky and got the knife. but i had to kill someone just to stay alive. but i rebuilded the city for the next generation. but it really sucks tho.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#7 2018-03-20 00:17:44

EmmyGamba

Aname wrote:

Yeah its fucking shit. Like my recent game was shit

i was born a boy there was some guy who wanted to kill everyone non related like why.

so some years passed and legit everyone had bows and where shooting at each other

it was like a war or something.

i had to kill people too i was Lucky and got the knife. but i had to kill someone just to stay alive. but i rebuilded the city for the next generation. but it really sucks tho.

I feel you. Its happening alot at the moment. Yesterday some guy on discord even proudly presented screenshots of all the now empty villages he slaughtered. Some of those had been huge settelments with tons of ressources - now left to rott.

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-20 00:18:48)

#8 2018-03-20 05:33:52

Laura

ok WHAT happend?

1. game
Mother raised me and two sis. All is wonderful but then ..
Mother killed a Girl! And i ask: what happend?
She just killed the other Girl and i don´t understand ... because
she raised us. I farm and ... she killed me.
What???

2. game
I tell the others about the Story and no one listen ...
Then a Player killed a child! And i say: murder!
And all: murder murder murder!
I take the knife and ask: who was it?
And then someone else killed me with a bow ...

This isn´t fun anymore ...

#9 2018-03-20 06:17:07

Casdir

The whole 1 shot, 1 kill thing, together with the fact that you can't even block or counter an attack, has you leaving the game with a bad taste in your mouth.
The combat system needs to be worked on asap. It's just stupid that you die immidiately after getting shot by one frickin arrow.
Same goes for a knife. You shouldn't die instantly just because you get stabbed or cut once.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-20 06:21:31)

#10 2018-03-20 06:34:51

devlinwyatt

I agree griefing has become a problem. Now that cities are being connected by roads it very easy for one person to run to each town and instantly murder everyone. I like the idea of losing hunger, losing max hunger, or just making it a two shot with the bow.

griefers are the only ones having fun atm.

#11 2018-03-20 08:08:18

Joriom
Website

I'm not against one-hit kills with knife. Those are way harder and you can see the assault incomming most of the time. You can defend. Snipig with bow from outside of the screen is ridiculous though.

1bug.png?width=960&height=545

This person was moving from West to East. Their FOV is shifted to the right (East).
I can understand a nice gameplay mechanic by limiting your FOV behind you - making backstacks actually viable. What I don't get is increasig your FOV in front of you. Yes, I know. Its better to see more in front of you when you're on move, specially when exploring. Its probably technical limitation as well - when you reduce on one side, its easiest just to extend on the other. It's probably also a workaround for limited FOV in the first place.
But the colision of interests and gameplay mechanics cames at the point where you meet someone at 90 degree angle. Imagine second player in the screenshot running from North to South. Eighter he can't see you while hes already on the right edge of your screen, or you can't seem because hes just one or two tiles outside of your FOV to the north. Combine that with a bow and inability to move your head around without running at least 2 tiles in that direction.... and easy bow snipes incomming.

Thats especially annoyinng in villages. If you grew in village you know where stuff is and the optimal path to approach key areas. This way you can snipe workers on fields when you can't yet see you or people next to fire. If you have more than one arrow - its just a mass shooting. The bloody bow does not help enough. It reverts back to normal way to fast to notice someone off screen or react.

Last edited by Joriom (2018-03-20 08:13:50)

#12 2018-03-20 09:57:56

Aname

We just need a wounded system or something

like if you attack with the knife that you first get scars then get wounded and when u then get attacked u die. but the one who is attacking you cant spam left mouse on you he can attack you again when the bloody knife is gone. and i think there has to be a downside of killing and or wounding the player like you get hungry faster.

And with the bow you can do if an Arrow hit someone he isnt dying but he is wounded. and maybe there has to be a 50% chance that the Arrow misses or something. and when you are wounded with the Arrow the Arrow cannot be used again. and if youre wounded u get hungry faster and if you dont treat yourself with bandages you just die. you can only kill babys with one shot!

but idk if thats a good idea or not. because i dont think killing has to be removed. because i sometimes kill babys because there is an overpopulation if you remove killing then all those kids will kill youre whole city.
(scars isnt anything it just let people see that you got attacked so youre character have some scars around his face body etc)

Last edited by Aname (2018-03-20 10:32:16)

#13 2018-03-20 10:28:53

EmmyGamba

"I'm not against one-hit kills with knife. Those are way harder and you can see the assault incomming most of the time. You can defend."

The issue with that is that its still a crappy game mechanic. I mean why would you ever use a sword or any other kind of close combat weapon, if the knife already kills everything with one simple mouse click? A better and way more balance way to fix this would be to change it, so that it only one-hits if you're attacking from behind.

That way its not just more realistic, but it would also feel way more rewarding for the murderer. Since he actually had to be a sneaky backstabber.

#14 2018-03-20 10:41:09

Guluere

What I think the game can have is shields, they can block 1 arrow or 1 slash before breaking, and while using the shield, you can still pick stuff up, kind of like a arm shield, this is so people can't just 1 shot or 1 slash people to death, giving the person time to run or attack the attacker.

The shield would cost planks and rope, which is not easy to get unless a village gets vital tools and wood to craft them.

#15 2018-03-20 12:23:19

Joriom
Website

jasonrohrer - Last Saturday at 6:49 AM
Not sure... the way murder is handled will likely be modified a bunch more in the future.

jasonrohrer - Last Wednesday at 10:42 PM
Yeah, it can't be slow TO KILL someone

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
When you see someone walking around with a loaded bow, that's when you say, WTF

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
Well, when massacres happen in real life, people are often caught by surprise and a lot of people die.
It's not like the little kids in the classroom "get wounded" and then have a chance to fight back against the maniac.

#16 2018-03-20 13:34:50

Casdir

Joriom wrote:

jasonrohrer - Last Saturday at 6:49 AM
Not sure... the way murder is handled will likely be modified a bunch more in the future.

jasonrohrer - Last Wednesday at 10:42 PM

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
When you see someone walking around with a loaded bow, that's when you say, WTF

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
Well, when massacres happen in real life, people are often caught by surprise and a lot of people die.
It's not like the little kids in the classroom "get wounded" and then have a chance to fight back against the maniac.

It's still a video game...
Obviously some mechanics aren't working out well when you have them feel close to realism.

Imagine you could 1 shot everyone as McCree with just one body shot in Overwatch. Or 1 shot someone as Soldier with just one body shot. Or 1 shot someone as Widowmaker with just one simple body sho- oh wait, that was actually a thing. And it got changed! I wonder why. You see the problem here? its just not fun. It's stupid and takes no skill at all to kill people by just simply left clicking them.

There is basically no combat system to speak off right now. You just left click once on someone and they are donzo. Is that what you call an intuitive and engaging combat system?

(trying to counter argument what Jason apperently was saying in some of his earlier comments that he has made on this matter of subject. I thought you were agreeing with him by quoting him there. So I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was attacking you with my comment.)

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-20 13:54:12)

#17 2018-03-20 13:42:44

Joriom
Website

@Casdir
I'm just quoting the game Developer, Jason, so we're on the same footing.

#18 2018-03-20 13:49:26

Casdir

Joriom wrote:

@Casdir
I'm just quoting the game Developer, Jason, so we're on the same footing.

I thought you were agreeing with his points, sorry if I misunderstood you there then. I was going to ask you about what your point was by referencing him there anyway, but forgot about it.

#19 2018-03-20 14:06:31

Guluere

Yea, the way fight is handled is way too fast, need it to be slow 'nuf to react while not having it be too boring, so I came up with a wounding system, go take a look at it.

#20 2018-03-20 15:20:12

kerfuffle

Spawned in a large village today. Knives laying around. I put two in my sack. Saw a guy with one in his randomly stabbing people but in a sneaky fashion.  He runs towards nursery. I go after him.  I pull knife. Two moms there bitch at me to drop it. I try to explain hes stabbing people. They don't believe me. I say screw it and drop both knives for them. I run off to explore a bit.  Wanted to come back asnd see if village was wiped but met a bear.

Last edited by kerfuffle (2018-03-20 15:21:59)

#21 2018-03-20 19:25:33

Uncle Gus

Another feature that might be helpful in catching sneaky killers would be if graves also showed relationship on mouseover, and also how they died, at least while they're fresh. Then the killer would at least have to take measures to "bury" the body (by moving it with a basket).

#22 2018-03-20 20:11:42

EmmyGamba

Joriom wrote:

Has he ever watched someone bleed out after beeing attacked by a knife? Its slow as fuck. Especially after just one stab. Most people even survive that (After recieving medical help)

Joriom wrote:

Little kids in the class room maybe. But any adult with any sense of survival instinct will at least try to defend himself against you, which makes it really hard to hit anyhing vital with the knife. You will end up giving him some cuts in his arm or shoulder, but definitely wont just one-hit him. To do that you actually have to catch someone off guard to cut his throat from behind or something. Or use an automatic weapon, not a knife.

Jason has a really weird view on this topic. In his mind people probably die instantly even when you just poke them with a stick big_smile

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-20 20:12:58)

#23 2018-03-20 20:56:42

Aname

The game is just full of griefers.

in every (death) village i come there are bows everywhere like i already know what happend there. and in every good village i come there is a random dude who just is killing everyone.

Nice! 10 out of 10 game

And i get why kids cant defend against a killer but adult cant defend either like wtf. adult vs adult i mean you cant 100% kill a adult with a shitty stab. i mean even kids who can pick up knives can kill a full grown adult like wtf. even elderly people can kill a fit adult.

in real life i dont see a random kids of 10 years old kill his parents or some bunch of 21 year olds with a fucking knife.

Im taking a break with the game its just boring to get killed over and over again by a bunch of griefers.

#24 2018-03-20 21:40:44

EmmyGamba

Aname wrote:

in real life i dont see a random kids of 10 years old kill his parents or some bunch of 21 year olds with a fucking knife.

Ummm youll be surprised but that shit actually happens alot even irl lol

#25 2018-03-20 23:09:38

-Aria-

wonder if it'd be possible to eventually create armor that helps protect from being one shotted, and maybe have some medically dedicated players to heal the wounded, if this happens to be possible then I can see some actual civs develop and possible nations with varying power, and the possibility of becoming a great conqueror, the way Jason dies in the trailer also makes me think this could be possible.

I know I sorta diverged from the main topic, but I think the impending doom of dying instantly without adequate protection could eventually drive players to create new technologies. Who knows maybe in the distant future play times could exceed one hour with advanced medical practices, or possibly even the advent of cybernetics

Board footer