One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-15 18:48:06

FeignedSanity

What would I have to learn to make my own version of this game.

I was wanting to learn how to mod it, but I might just go the extra step to just make my own game (like 2HOL did). The problem is, I know absolutely nothing about programming. I've always been interested in learning, but I usually spend what free time I have actually playing games.

I just keep seeing everyone badgering Jason over the same stuff over and over again. And the argument "if you think your ideas are so great, why not make your own game" is ever prevalent, if not acknowledged. So, I figured I might very well be able to make a better version, and Jason doesn't seem to be bothered at the thought of me attempting. I think he might even encourage it.

So I'd need to learn programming and (if I was wanted to go full on with this) managing a server, but I don't know where to start. Could anyone, or even Jason himself, give me an a list of things I'd have to learn.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-15 18:49:50)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2019-05-15 18:58:33

futurebird

Re: What would I have to learn to make my own version of this game.

I do a bit of programming and app building and making a game like this is no joke. The multiplayer aspect of the game is particularly difficult and impressive as is the amount of data being managed in the worlds created. I don't think that making a new game of this scale would be a good first programming project. But modding a game could be more do-able.

I've been working on a much smaller project (a kind of gps based virtual gardening game... think a mix of farmville and pokemon go...) and I've had to re-learn a lot of skills since I haven't made an app for like 4 years.

I've run in to some roadblocks with the GPS libraries, they exist but I can't get them to work. But, this post is inspiring me to give it another go...

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-15 18:58:58)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-05-15 21:42:04

Toxic
Banned

FeignedSanity wrote:

I was wanting to learn how to mod it, but I might just go the extra step to just make my own game (like 2HOL did). The problem is, I know absolutely nothing about programming. I've always been interested in learning, but I usually spend what free time I have actually playing games.

I just keep seeing everyone badgering Jason over the same stuff over and over again. And the argument "if you think your ideas are so great, why not make your own game" is ever prevalent, if not acknowledged. So, I figured I might very well be able to make a better version, and Jason doesn't seem to be bothered at the thought of me attempting. I think he might even encourage it.

So I'd need to learn programming and (if I was wanted to go full on with this) managing a server, but I don't know where to start. Could anyone, or even Jason himself, give me an a list of things I'd have to learn.

Learn C++!!

(Easier said then done)

Last edited by Toxic (2019-05-15 21:42:22)

#4 2019-05-15 21:44:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

If you wanted to just make your own game with different objects and things working differently, you wouldn't need to do any programming at all.  Just use the Editor to make your own content.

#5 2019-05-16 00:09:23

FeignedSanity

jasonrohrer wrote:

If you wanted to just make your own game with different objects and things working differently, you wouldn't need to do any programming at all.  Just use the Editor to make your own content.

First off, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Secondly, is there not some stuff I would need to know ahead of time before I could even make use of the editor? I'm assuming the editor would let me change things like baskets breaking on use instead of over time and the duration of the murder cooldown? But I'm kind of genuinely curious about how it all works.

Toxic wrote:

Learn C++!!

(Easier said then done)

Oh, I've heard of that, but not sure what it is. Is that what this game runs off of?

futurebird wrote:

I do a bit of programming and app building and making a game like this is no joke. The multiplayer aspect of the game is particularly difficult and impressive as is the amount of data being managed in the worlds created. I don't think that making a new game of this scale would be a good first programming project. But modding a game could be more do-able.

Of course I wouldn't build a game like this from scratch lol. Even I can tell that would be a silly task for a novice to embark on. I was planning to use the (I think it's called source code) to build off of that. Like I said in my first sentence, modding was what I had originally planned to do. Also, I wish you luck with your gardening game smile

My first step was to figure out how to make mods like the stuff Mr.XIX, Whatever, and Pein make. I know there are quite a few people knowledgeable about this stuff in the community. There are the few I listed before, a few others I've seen but can't recall, and I feel like Tarr probably knows quite a bit as well.

At the very least, I'd like to learn where to start. If all else fails, at least I can start messing with this "Editor" and looking up C++ tongue

#6 2019-05-16 00:36:19

futurebird

Oh-- FS, do you do art by any chance? I'm looking for someone who can make game sprites who might be interested in helping with my GPS farming game. Right now it's all text based and it looks like a math major made it which isn't uh... surprising because that's what happened.

IDK thought I'd ask. I have no idea where to start when it come to how the game should look. I just know how it should work. That is if I can ever figure out these GPS libraries. And making it work on all kinds of phones might be an issue. I might punk out and only make it for iphone...UGH.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#7 2019-05-16 01:35:50

GreatShawn

futurebird wrote:

Oh-- FS, do you do art by any chance? I'm looking for someone who can make game sprites who might be interested in helping with my GPS farming game. Right now it's all text based and it looks like a math major made it which isn't uh... surprising because that's what happened.

IDK thought I'd ask. I have no idea where to start when it come to how the game should look. I just know how it should work. That is if I can ever figure out these GPS libraries. And making it work on all kinds of phones might be an issue. I might punk out and only make it for iphone...UGH.

Oh I would be more than happy to do some art for you (maybe not as good as you might want), I'm mediocre at drawing. Although Ik u didn't ask me to do it it would be my pleasure to help you.

#8 2019-05-16 07:49:13

jinbaili83

FeignedSanity wrote:

May be start with some game making program. Those do most of hard work for you so you will not get discouraged immediately by blank screen with bunch of errors.

#9 2019-05-16 11:13:16

Greep

Well, if you mean just making new objects and stuff you can learn the editor; however, c++ is basically required to do anything that changes the rules since the engine is written in C++.

There's other easier engines you could start with, but honestly multiplayer in general is a pain in the butt to do from scratch, so you'd be better off learning C++ and using his own engine.  Unity or game maker are good learning tools if you just want to make a single game as practice to see what you're getting yourself into.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1402

Is the current best thread for setting up an environment to mod the game (ignore the offsets and version number parts, at least until you're ready to actually add fully new objects).  To use the editor just go into the gamesource folder and run ./EditOneLife.  It's pretty confusing and you'll have to ask questions on the discord.  Just the process, anyone who's modded the game's been there xD

But yeah, as this is a custom engine be prepared to spend like 10 hours scratching your head before getting any real work done, since there's very little in the area of online help xD

Last edited by Greep (2019-05-16 11:35:07)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#10 2019-05-17 15:43:49

FeignedSanity

@futurebird

Sorry, I couldn't even begin to think about taking on projects for someone else. All my time is already taken up with life and my own projects. But if you decide to go through with the game, it looks like GreatShawn would be willing to help.

@jinbaili83

Well, I'm not really looking to become a game designer, but I'm passionate enough about this game that I want to learn to work with this. I see limitless potential with this game, and I'd like to see what I could do with all that potential. Although maybe later on down the line, you never know.

@Greep

Thank you, this is the information I was looking for. I'll start now with learning C++, then probably python then java (if I want to learn more programming languages). Like I told jinbaili83, I'm not really looking at being a game designer (although it is intriguing). Looking back at the title, I can see how people would get that impression. I wasn't really looking to make a brand new game, I guess I should've specified. If I were to be one, I'd probably just go work for a game developing company lol.

For now, I'll be learning C++. Anyone want to bet how long it'll take me? tongue

I don't want to give too much away, (because this could ultimately go nowhere) but I'm really excited to make my own take on this game. Hopefully people will enjoy playing it.

#11 2019-05-31 16:45:18

lychee

Does anyone know if OHOL uses a TCP or UDP protocol?

I got the impression it was TCP and wasn’t fully sure why.

#12 2019-05-31 18:28:14

wondible

lychee wrote:

Does anyone know if OHOL uses a TCP or UDP protocol?

I got the impression it was TCP and wasn’t fully sure why.

Having the concept of a connection is typically TCP, and I see SOCK_STREAM in the minor gems server, which also usually TCP.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Board footer