One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-15 17:58:12

threudorf

its a griefer- + racism-update!!! I HATE IT!!!! WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

worst update ever! i want the old version back!!!

the language:
the different languages are realy stupid. the communication in english is allready hard enough. im not a native-speaker, and there are many others from all over the world!!!
its allready hard, to explain my self, in a game, thats so fast, in a language, i only learnt in school. for me english spelling is difficult and so writing fast is hard. (crafting is also harder, when you dont know the words.)

i wonna work togather, not against each other!
once i couldnt help a loner-woman, because of language...
once my entire family was killed from stragers... why should you care, if you dont speak the language?!

receiver can be realy fun... but now?! for what?

why should you build a belltower anymore???
a big city needs many families! is that the end of the big citys?!

now people only care about thier family. strangers are now enemies. and familys die out fast, because there are allways so many newbs. many dieing small towns...

this is more annoying than fun!!!

yes, its an survival-game, but i bought it, because i thought it was a "lets survive togather and craft many things"-game...
"world of warcraft" is also a survival game... allmost every game is. i bought this game, because i wanted something different...

and the sword?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYdtRkFFIw
"The Sword update is fair and balanced." ...says it all.

and than there is the problem with iron....
i wasted one of my lifes looking for it... with a horse!

now many people became greedy... it s hard to craft, when people steal... i didnt like the fences either... do you know, what the word "ubuntu" means?

yes, there is the option to play 2hol, or on a moded server... when i want to play alone... maybe i should go back to play minecraft again?
i want a game to relax from everyday-life, not a game to become irritated!

yes, there is that phenomenon: IF YOU ARE STRESSED OUT, YOU DONT RECOGNIZE, THAT WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS BORING.
thats the reason, why you can play action-games for so long. i wanted ohol to be more interesting, not with more action... stupid action, with stupid griefers...

i bought this game, because it was the same game-idea i had: survial as tribal-folks, no npc, born as child of an other player... but i would make some things different...

thanks for reading. i dont think the game will become good again.

#2 2019-05-15 18:03:33

futurebird

Re: its a griefer- + racism-update!!! I HATE IT!!!! WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Please don't use all caps in your post titles.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-05-15 18:04:19

Turnipseed

futurebird wrote:

Please don't use all caps in your post titles.

This^

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2019-05-15 18:08:53

Dodge

threudorf wrote:

its allready hard, to explain my self, in a game, thats so fast

yes, there is that phenomenon: IF YOU ARE STRESSED OUT, YOU DONT RECOGNIZE, THAT WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS BORING.
thats the reason, why you can play action-games for so long. i wanted ohol to be more interesting, not with more action... stupid action, with stupid griefers...

Do you think that currently the game is too fast paced, stressful?

And if yes, what are some of the things you find most stressful or too fast paced?

Would you say the game is currently too much about being fast paced and less about having maningful decisions and interactions?

#5 2019-05-15 18:20:11

futurebird

More seriously, threudorf (though I am serious about not using all caps) you are leaping in to the middle of a conversation that has been going on for about three days without reading or responding to anything that's already been said. Some of the things you are saying have already been said. Some I even agree with. But, I'd encourage you to read some of the threads on the update so you don't come across as just walking in to the room shouting and leaving.

I also don't agree with anyone who asks for their money back because they don't like the content of a game. It's like buying a book or going to see a movie. As long as the book is readable or the projector doesn't break asking for your money back just isn't how buying creative products works.

IDK it's kind of a pet peeve of mine.

But, I'm not a huge fan of the push for violence either. Thing is, most players of this game aren't violent and in the past 4 lives I lead there were no murders, no mayhem, not even when I was in a big city, it was just people working together, caring for each other and everything I love about the game.

So, Jason can add swords and what not but can't force most of us to use them. And most people seem to play this game to farm a little, teach a little and make a few momentary friends. And it's still working that way.

And as long as it does I'll keep playing. No reason not to.

Fences were mostly ignored by most players, (except as community sheep pens) and swords made a bigger splash but they are becoming less common as the new content glow wears off.

There was a sword in one of my lives and I put it in my bag since that seemed safer. But I got annoyed with the item slot being used up so I asked someone else to take it. *no one wanted it* They were like "I don't have room in my bag*

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-05-15 19:41:03

threudorf

"Do you think that currently the game is too fast paced, stressful?

And if yes, what are some of the things you find most stressful or too fast paced?"

it depents... in an eve-camp, with many newbs, you must be fast to keep people alive...

as i wrote: english is not my first language so my writing and reading is sometimes too slow for teaching, roleplay, or finding things out... sometimes people walk away, befor i finish writing.
also i thought about servers, for other languages, than english....

"Would you say the game is currently too much about being fast paced and less about having maningful decisions and interactions?" yes. not meaningful... often people are pacing around, ignoring each other...
for example: it would be more fun, if you would have the time to teach people, instead of looking up wiki...

#7 2019-05-15 20:06:31

threudorf

@futurebird:
"you are leaping in to the middle of a conversation that has been going on for about three days without reading or responding to anything that's already been said."
you are right. i was reading some of the stuff... but as i sayed, english is not my first language. ...and i read and write very slow.
thats not my normal behavior... but i wondert, if i should read for hours, or just show my anger... reading in english is very exhausting for me. (and i allready spent houres in the forum.)

"...money back..." yes, i want my money back, for some movies and books... you know, i want to, but i know i dont get it.
"pet peeve of mine" i dont understand that slang.

"people working together, caring for each other" often not my expirience...

"Jason can add swords and what not but can't force most of us to use them."
yeah, thats right, i think the languages are much worse. they seperate people and killing strangers for no reason became ok. you cant ask them if they come in peace...
+ i dont want to go to a bell-town, where i can talk to no-one + i dont know, if i will be killed, just because im a stranger...
normaly people say: if we dont know, if the stranger is good or bad, better kill him!

"Fences..." i was killed, because i was standing too close at someones fence, jelling at me "not for you!" (i was just looking)... such things are so irritating!

#8 2019-05-15 20:17:35

futurebird

A "pet peeve" is something that annoys someone that they know might not be such a big deal, but they still feel the need to always comment on it.

I didn't know you don't primarily speak English so it makes more sense why you haven't read more of the other posts it's a lot to take in, people here type a lot and don't always say very much.

I'm sad to hear that you have been having bad experiences with the game. I've had times when in a few lives I kept getting killed for no reason and it really wears you down if it keeps happening. And I agree that the combination of the language update with the swords suggests a kind of mean way of playing that I'm not fond of.

I don't think the language update is bad on it's own, maybe, but pairing it with swords is just depressing.

It sucks that you were killed for just standing there. I agree that that isn't really fun at all.

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-05-15 21:25:39

BladeWoods

threudorf, I have one piece of good news for you. That sword video is outdated. The power of the sword was already nerfed with a cooldown.

#10 2019-05-15 22:33:34

Solbusaur

Other families are not enemies, unless they make themselves out to be, or a griefer decides to start a feud. Many people here have had peaceful lives coexisting with families

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#11 2019-05-15 22:41:25

Tarr
Banned

BladeWoods wrote:

threudorf, I have one piece of good news for you. That sword video is outdated. The power of the sword was already nerfed with a cooldown.

Sword is still ridiculously overpowered. Ask anyone I have ever ran into with a sword.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2019-05-15 22:55:37

spurofthemoment

futurebird wrote:

I also don't agree with anyone who asks for their money back because they don't like the content of a game. It's like buying a book or going to see a movie. As long as the book is readable or the projector doesn't break asking for your money back just isn't how buying creative products works.

IDK it's kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Normally I would agree with you, but this game is in development and, as I understand from reading elsewhere on the forums, was marketed as a game a bit different than it currently is. As someone who joined the game just before the new update, I bought it because I had a $20 gift card lying around and it looked like a bit of calm, collaborative fun. I knew the game received updates, but I thought they were minor updates to fix bugs or add minor new items, or something like that. Because I like roleplay and because the $20 I spent on the game was a gift, the update hasn't really annoyed me that much because my attitude toward the game has always been "yeah, this looks fun, I guess," rather than something I'm super passionate about.

All that to say, as a new player I was unaware that the game was subject to massive changes, and I understand people who feel like they've been a bit cheated. When you buy a book or go see a movie, you usually don't go in thinking it's a romance only to find out it's horror, for example. The only video game I can think of that breaks this rule purposefully is Doki Doki Literature Club, and that game is free.

If the fact that the game is still subject to major change were more readily apparent in the advertising and on the download page, I would agree that asking for money back is a bit ridiculous. As it stands, the game seems to be undergoing something of a genre change without warning, which people are right to be upset about. At least in my mind.

@threudorf, I applaud you for reading through so many forum posts...I lived in Spain for a few months last year so I sort of have an idea of what it's like to have to communicate entirely in a second language, and it's exhausting as all heck. If this game were in Spanish I'd definitely have the same issues building and communicating. I hope you find a way to play that's as rewarding for you as the game was when you bought it.

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#13 2019-05-15 22:58:05

BladeWoods

Where was the game marketed in a way that's different from how it currently is?
I don't get where people have that idea from.

#14 2019-05-15 23:07:44

spurofthemoment

Well, from what I understand, a lot of people saw it as a game focused on survival through communication and cooperation. With the property and sword updates, it's become a survival game with important PvP aspects, albeit mass PvP (my group against yours). That's a big difference, since people who joined the game for a relaxing, lets-work-together experience are now becoming stressed out by PvP they didn't sign up for.

That's just what I've gathered from reading forum posts, though, so I could be wrong.

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#15 2019-05-15 23:19:38

RedComb

BladeWoods wrote:

Where was the game marketed in a way that's different from how it currently is?
I don't get where people have that idea from.

Here:

This game is about playing one small part in a much larger story. You only live an hour, but time and space in this game is infinite. You can only do so much in one lifetime, but the tech tree in this game will take hundreds of generations to fully explore. This game is also about family trees. Having a mother who takes care of you as a baby, and hopefully taking care of a baby yourself later in life. And your mother is another player. And your baby is another player. Building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you. Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears. And looking at each life as a unique story. I was this kid born in this situation, but I eventually grew up. I built a bakery near the wheat fields. Over time, I watched my grandparents and parents grow old and die. I had some kids of my own along the way, but they are grown now... and look at my character now! She's an old woman. What a life passed by in this little hour of mine. After I die, this life will be over and gone forever. I can be born again, but I can never live this unique story again. Everything's changing. I'll be born as a different person in a different place and different time, with another unique story to experience in the next hour...

The game's homepage

And here...

A multiplayer survival game of parenting and civilization building. Get born to another player as your mother. Live an entire life in one hour. Have babies of your own in the form of other players. Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization from scratch.

Hey folks, I'm Jason Rohrer, and I've been working on One Hour One Life for more than three years. I've been doing everything myself---I drew all the graphics on paper with pens and markers, I coded the entire engine from scratch, I composed and performed all of the music, and I even made all of the sound effects. It's a very personal game, and it's really unlike anything else that's out there. It's also a huge game---over 1300 fully interactive, craftable objects already. And it's only getting bigger, with weekly updates adding new things all the time. The game was initially released on my own website in February of 2018, and over the intervening months, I released 29 updates off-Steam. I've promised to keep releasing weekly update for at least the next two years, with the end goal of making the largest, most comprehensive crafting game in history.

Okay, so what about the game itself?

First of all, you only live for an hour, where each minute marks a passing year. You join the game server as a newborn baby, and some other randomly-chosen player is your mother. You depend on her for your survival. And why will she be willing to waste her valuable time and resources to keep you alive? Because she's going to die in an hour just like everyone else, and if she wants what she accomplishes in her lifetime to have any meaning, then the next generation (aka, you) is her only hope. And if you survive into adulthood, you may get the chance to have babies of your own---other players, just joining the server---and those babies will be the next generation that gives meaning to your own life accomplishments.

Across this ever-growing family tree of generations, players are collectively conducting an enormous project: they are rebuilding civilization from scratch. The online game world starts out as a near-infinite expanse of wilderness (four billion meters wide from east to west, and four billion meters wide from north to south, with a total surface area of over 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 square meters, or 36,000 times bigger than Earth). The very first player to join the server is Eve, and she starts out in the wilderness as the root of the family tree. Eve and her immediate offspring lay the foundation for the future civilization, perhaps making a few primitive tools, cooking basic foods, and starting a small farm as they scrape out a meager existence before dying. Future generations will build on this primitive foundation, eventually mastering more and more advanced technology, including domesticated animals, metal working, permanent buildings, and transportation networks.

But as real-life history has shown, civilization is fragile. A generation that is born into the lap of luxury---on the backs of their ancestors' hard-won accomplishments---can just as easily squander their inheritance as build upon it. Key resources run out over time, so careful management, planning, and organization are necessary to prevent an inevitable collapse. Thus, the game graduates from the individual challenge of primitive survival in the early stages to a group organizational and leadership challenge in the later stages. How do rules and procedures for group survival propagate across multiple generations? What did our great grandparents have in mind for this village?

The main mode in the game involves being born as a helpless baby to another player as your mother, but you can also play with your friends as twins, triplets, or quadruplets. One baby is hard enough to take care of---any mother that can successfully take care of quadruplets deserves the eternal gratitude of you and your friends.

All of this is happening on my own centrally-managed, persistent servers, and your purchase includes a lifetime account on these official servers. After you buy the game, you can instantly connect to this world with no configuration or server set-up. It all just works. You also get access to the full source code, including the server code. Technically-minded folks can run their own private servers, or even use the powerful content editor to make their own mods.

I hope you'll join us as this sprawling civilization-building experiment continues to unfold. Many thousands of players have already collectively lived over 400,000 hours in this endlessly-changing world so far. Before the Steam release, the average playtime for each player was 17 hours, with dozens of players logging over 500 hours each, and 94% positive off-Steam player reviews. This is a deep and rich game already, and there are still hundreds of content updates to come.

No two lives are ever the same, and a new story always awaits on the other side of the [GET REBORN] button.

Jason Rohrer
October 2018
Davis, California

Steam store page "ABOUT THIS GAME" section

And, finally, the trailer on Steam (and don't try to say an Atomic Robot killing Jason at the end of the 3+ minute trailer means war swords and griefing was always planned for this game!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT4JktcVQuE

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-15 23:54:42)

#16 2019-05-15 23:50:10

RedComb

Let's compare the OHOL Steam description to other sandboxy survival titles where players know before they even buy the game that conflict is at the forefront and others players will likely be a threat:

A multiplayer survival game of parenting and civilization building. Get born to another player as your mother. Live an entire life in one hour. Have babies of your own in the form of other players. Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization from scratch. ~OHOL Steam store page description

vs.

The only aim in Rust is to survive. To do this you will need to overcome struggles such as hunger, thirst and cold. Build a fire. Build a shelter. Kill animals for meat. Protect yourself from other players, and kill them for meat. Create alliances with other players and form a town. Do whatever it takes to survive. ~RUST Steam store page description

vs.

Stranded on the shores of a mysterious island, you must learn to survive. Use your cunning to kill or tame the primeval creatures roaming the land, and encounter other players to survive, dominate... and escape! ~ARK: Survival Evolved Steam store page description

vs.

The post-soviet country of Chernarus is struck by an unknown virus, turning the majority population into frenzied infected. Fighting over resources has bred a hostile mentality among survivors, driving what’s left of humanity to collapse. You are one of the few immune to the virus - how far will you go to survive? ~DayZ Steam store page description

vs.

An online multiplayer survival game set in the lands of Conan the Barbarian. Survive in a vast open world sandbox, build a home and kingdom, dominate your enemies in single or multiplayer. ~Conan Exiles Steam store page description

Does that make it clearer now?

One of these things....

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-15 23:56:22)

#17 2019-05-16 00:19:52

pedrito confesiones

this game is experimental but jason will eventually fix it

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#18 2019-05-16 00:29:17

futurebird

Wow! RedComb I'd never even consider buying any of those other games from the description! Not my personal idea of fun (but I can understand how other people enjoy it, so no real judgement here)

I don't mind that OHOL has some violence and conflict but to me it was always supposed to be a consequence of the inevitable friction that you get between people even when they are mostly working together. And a way to deal with persistent bad actors. In fact, I really like that OHOL isn't all safe and flowers and roses. If I wanted to play farmville co-op... um I'd do that. It's relaxing. That isn't this game.

But I think that everything needs to lead back to the goal that always excited me "Build Civilization!" So build tech, and farms and human institutions-- And when I saw the description I was super excited since it sounded like my kind of game. And mostly it has been!

I just don't think it'd be great if it morphed in to rust. I don't want to eat people or dominate anyone. That sounds awful and kinda... boring (if I'm honest)

---
omnem cibum costis

#19 2019-05-16 02:32:40

Buggy

futurebird wrote:

I don't mind that OHOL has some violence and conflict but to me it was always supposed to be a consequence of the inevitable friction that you get between people even when they are mostly working together. And a way to deal with persistent bad actors. In fact, I really like that OHOL isn't all safe and flowers and roses. If I wanted to play farmville co-op... um I'd do that. It's relaxing. That isn't this game.

But I think that everything needs to lead back to the goal that always excited me "Build Civilization!" So build tech, and farms and human institutions-- And when I saw the description I was super excited since it sounded like my kind of game. And mostly it has been!

I just don't think it'd be great if it morphed in to rust. I don't want to eat people or dominate anyone. That sounds awful and kinda... boring (if I'm honest)

^^^ This I agree with so much

I enjoy games like rust occasionally but I loved this game with the conflict levels that it had. I would rather be more worried about whether my family all has food and clothes then defense.

#20 2019-05-16 02:57:46

RodneyC86

futurebird wrote:

Wow! RedComb I'd never even consider buying any of those other games from the description! Not my personal idea of fun (but I can understand how other people enjoy it, so no real judgement here)

Yeah it's boring. Because it's all about survival , which is at the bottom of the Maslow hierarchy of needs, and these games almost never allow you to progress beyond that. That's why it's boring, good for adrenaline junkies but for some of us, we don't really care for that.

OHOL has potential to give it all, self actualisation including, though it's tough since artificial challenges keeps being added to force you up the tech tree with no new ones added to make life easier, as tech SHOULD be doing.

We are now stuck in endless loops of fertilizing soil by hand carrying little clay bowls and watering them with said bowls. Where's irrigation? Where are the wind and water mills. Where's the plows? Watering cans at least? (Stick a pipe onto a bucket)

#21 2019-05-16 04:21:54

RedComb

futurebird wrote:

I agree with what you're saying. I don't mind there being some danger or even hijinks in this game. In my short introduction to it, I've seen griefing and people being murdered. Didn't bother me too much because the mechanics of the knife, bow, and cursing seemed to provide some balance and chance for people to react. At one point, I even managed to use a sterile pad on somebody, but didn't know about stitching them up.

However, what I experienced of the war sword pre-nerf, and from what people like Tarr have shown, doesn't seem to give the same agency to the victims of that kind of aggression. This kind of wholesale slaughter rubs me the wrong way and seems more fitting for a hardcore pvp survival game, or a battle royale, not a game selling itself on parenting, rebuilding civilization, and passing something down to the next generation.

I only pasted those descriptions of other games to explain why there are complaints about OHOL not fitting the way it seems to be described.

Having personally put over 400 hours on a primitive PvP ARK server, and dozens of hours playing other games like it, I can understand the appeal of these kinds of games. However, when I bought and played those games, I knew exactly what I was getting into and wasn't surprised when I was killed or griefed by other players. I wanted that kind of conflict and thrill of hunting others and being hunted.

Yet, based on the marketing descriptions of OHOL, the gameplay videos I watched (which included murders), and the simplistic two button controls, I was surprised to buy the game, and just a few days later, get to witness a town I had just been born into get massacred in a matter of seconds by an outsider with a war sword because this kind of carnage would supposedly make us "come together"....

I imagine this is part of OP's frustration. Game's like RUST are very clear in their description that you will likely have to fight other players if you play. ARK mentions dominating other players, DayZ explains society has collapsed and survivors are hostile. But OHOL? Is described as a simulation of parenting, rebuilding civilization, and leaving something for the next guy....

Sure, one might infer that Rome wasn't built in a day and we might have to break some eggs if we're going to make this omelette, but... Considering the game's aesthetic style, controls, and description, it is easy to see how some of us feel duped after starting to play and learning about what seemed to be a relatively chill game, only to have an update like this subvert our expectations.

Hope that makes sense. Merely wanted to share those game descriptions in relation to OHOL's description because I think it highlights how clearly those games communicate the presence of pvp and competition in their game, while OHOL doesn't really communicate anything of the sort.

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-16 04:28:08)

#22 2019-05-16 04:47:12

Léonard

RodneyC86 wrote:

Yeah it's boring. Because it's all about survival , which is at the bottom of the Maslow hierarchy of needs, and these games almost never allow you to progress beyond that. That's why it's boring, good for adrenaline junkies but for some of us, we don't really care for that.

OHOL has potential to give it all, self actualisation including, though it's tough since artificial challenges keeps being added to force you up the tech tree with no new ones added to make life easier, as tech SHOULD be doing.

We are now stuck in endless loops of fertilizing soil by hand carrying little clay bowls and watering them with said bowls. Where's irrigation? Where are the wind and water mills. Where's the plows? Watering cans at least? (Stick a pipe onto a bucket)

Post of the year.

#23 2019-05-16 05:00:13

WalrusesConquer

Before the update, most ignored you if you came to a bell town. Because lots of families do, now they notice more I feel
Besides you are paying for access to the server, not the game. The game is like an experiment, and I think you should stick around to see the result!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#24 2019-05-16 10:25:00

threudorf

tx for the suport...

futurebird:
"Build Civilization!"...
yeah, thats what i miss...

RodneyC86:
"Yeah it's boring. Because it's all about survival , which is at the bottom of the Maslow hierarchy of needs, and these games almost never allow you to progress beyond that. That's why it's boring, good for adrenaline junkies but for some of us, we don't really care for that.
We are now stuck in endless loops of fertilizing soil by hand carrying little clay bowls and watering them with said bowls."

i saw the last photograph was made 3 days ago... i didnt start this game to start over and over again...

jason wrote:
"...players are collectively conducting an enormous project..." in the disciption... that got me a wrong expactation...
i didnt want a game with endless mutton-pies, dieing eve-camps again and again, fighting, greafing...

Board footer