One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-15 12:03:29

Toxic
Banned

A increase in the player base! GJ Jason.

I’m really surprised that the recent updates have actually made more people play the game. Now rather then the usual 80 people on at any given time it has increased to 100 people. It also reached I think 178 people on the peak hours. I’m really shocked because even though I loved this update I thought most people hated it. But it’s really amazing how now we have more people to play with. Keep up the good work Jason!

#2 2019-05-15 12:06:30

Toxic
Banned

Re: A increase in the player base! GJ Jason.

Also as Jason made the post that people send a lot of negative stuff at him. Its kind of correct but it’s only a minority of people. But Jason is doing a great job and I inspire to be a dev like him. He’s in general a really principled person by just looking at his posts you can see that.

#3 2019-05-15 12:19:51

futurebird

The game is doing OK but it could be doing so much better. If we want real cities and culture we'll need several hundred people online playing the game at any given time, so a player base in the 100k range rather in the 10-20k range.  The fluctuations around updates are normal. New content brings existing players back to see what's new. But I don't think the updates are making people say "I want to buy that game"  (I don't think the updates are making people *not* want to buy the game either)

I've posted about ways to make this game as popular as it should be before. One of the key vectors is YouTube.

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6024 

futurebird wrote:

I think there are a few things that keep this game from getting more players:
-not enough youtubers we have Twisted (who is doing great work) and a few others, but videos are a big draw for showing more people the game
-people think it's like "don't starve" when it really isn't at all
-the learning curve on the game is a bit steep, so I think some people try it and then give up before they get to the heart of the enjoyable part of the game

Is it worthwhile to pester some gaming youtubers to give the game a shot? This wouldn't just help the game but also help the existing people making videos. I've thought about making a video myself: but people tend to underestimate how much work making a *good* gameplay video can be. It's not something you can just toss together casually, it takes planning and a bit of creativity.

It might be worthwhile to have a youTube video contest of some kind for example the person with the best video (Jason could judge or we could do a community vote) gets a code based on their name to offer a discount on the game to their subscribers and maybe a small cash prize. Something like that.

What other ideas can expand the community? It's fun playing in kind of a niche game, but if OHOL wants to have a future we want to seem more players coming in and to get to the next level of tech we will need bigger populations in the cities and right now I think there just aren't enough people for that to happen.

Consider Sevtech Ages which is a minecraft mod that has a lot of the tactile crafting ideas that you find in OHOL I think people who like Ages would love OHOL for the most part. The video of this game have 100ks of views, in part because the people playing it are very popular youtubers (yogscast captian sparkles) but also it's good youtube content for people who like such games. OHOL would be even more interesting to watch IMO. So maybe reach out to some of those people?

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-15 12:21:17)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-05-15 12:24:56

Amon

It would be worth to advertise the game better. Esp with the new playing field it displays.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#5 2019-05-15 12:29:01

Spoonwood

Toxic wrote:

Also as Jason made the post that people send a lot of negative stuff at him. Its kind of correct but it’s only a minority of people. But Jason is doing a great job and I inspire to be a dev like him. He’s in general a really principled person by just looking at his posts you can see that.

I think you mean 'aspire', not 'inspire'.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-15 12:36:02

futurebird

Amon wrote:

It would be worth to advertise the game better. Esp with the new playing field it displays.

There have been a few people who have said the current promotional material for the game gives the wrong impression. People will be happier if their expectations are met-- the promotional material for the game makes it seem like it's mostly about building a civilization with other people and caring for children. But, that's just one part of the game not the central driving theme. I think maybe it's shifted a bit or that never was the main goal to begin with?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer