One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-13 15:48:16

futurebird

Do you like being around a lot of people in-game?

Maybe it's ironic. I'm always on this forum talking about how we need more people in towns, bigger cities, higher population density... but honestly if there are more than 4 people on screen I get a little overwhelmed. It's part of why I like gathering resources so much. I find one or two people enjoyable, but a big gaggle makes me run off to find something more lonesome to do.

I kinda thought most people were like this, but I had a kid and as we got closer to the nursery/bakery (horrible combo... why???) filled with people I asked "I don't like hanging out in there, too crowded. So you can stay with me  or I can drop you off?"

He wanted to be dropped off in that pit of chaos! So, of course I left him there, (be happy my son!) said goodbye and went back to trying to getting the smith tidy enough for someone to do something.

But, I'm curious about all of you... do you like being where all the people are when you play or do you prefer to be on your own or do you like working with only one or two other people?

How do those of you who like it by the fire keep up with all the conversations?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-13 21:06:25

lychee

Re: Do you like being around a lot of people in-game?

I like small towns better than big towns.

Big towns mean bigger messes! >.<

I think it's really hard to balance the population of these big and small towns -- all this boom and bust and other things; not totally sure what's the best ways.

#3 2019-05-13 21:21:07

MultiLife

Well, I have zoom out mod, so seeing more space balances out people to some extent. But yes, I get very claustrophobic and speech bubbles all around the place distract me as I automatically notice them and try to read them. Nursery/bakery combo is not nice if there are three adult women popping kids in there, lots of screaming, bones, pie munching, naming, talking, speech bubbles overlapping, poking at clothes, looting corpses...

In my last life there was the nursery/bakery combo, I just had to move out of there as women and kids covered the place. I made a fire near the almost abandoned smithy and took my newborn there. I smithed, he sat outside in the bonfire, chilling. A lady passed by him and dressed him up, fed him, hovered around him and made sure he was okay. Lucky boi, that Zed Bada.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-05-13 21:34:06)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2019-05-13 21:46:16

pein

it's interesting , i like when im male so i can do stuff faster, still a lot of time dropping them off and i don't let them die if they want to live

so i like when is like 3 females and 3 girl kids time to time

im fine with newbees, they don't do much but don't use too much generally
when they become a problem, like the more you compost the more they extend berries, then i start to get pissed off
or if they roleplay some bullshit

20+ you wont have enough clothing and easy jobs to do and they don't like scavenging
the population skill may vary

too many pros arent good either but like 3-5 is nice to have
enthusiast newbees are the best, who want to do stuff and listen to you
lot of people just walk aroudn and don't contribute to anything, don't have jobs and just don't really add to the story

i like when a few kids pop up and we gear them and they help out on projects then some more, not when we got 9-10 at a time then half hour and all dead
around 12 people is nice
and the age is spread out

outposts and roads are good to have
when i see 7+ fertile females is generally a boring chaotic game
but i don't like when we need to pestrate the last female then her only girl kid and then her only girl kid and still die out

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-05-13 22:18:31

lychee

Out of curiosity, how many fertile females are "too many"?

#6 2019-05-13 23:53:23

DestinyCall

lychee wrote:

About ten.

#7 2019-05-14 00:03:59

antking:]#

DestinyCall wrote:
lychee wrote:

About ten.

when you reach ten most children are going to die because that's always when the food shortages start

if you check out the family trees you will see this pattern--- a lot of females= explosion of kids, most die at a young age-- about two females have successful kids narrowing the family tree

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2019-05-14 00:10:21

futurebird

I was in a gen 6 town today with 18 fertile women and no food shortage in sight at all. I think some food shortages are a combo of subtile griefing (leaving one berry on every bush over feeding sheep etc..) and too many new players at once. We seemed to get mostly stable minded experienced players and the population just kept growing. I think the area ban was the only thing to stop us.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-05-14 11:46:06

pein

7 seems to be too many already
in case of no good players who work

but yeah, it's dependent on many things

if you pick off berries right away, do compost and stay ahead, then you can make pies, if not, people eat berries, than carrots and compost stops and a lot of them who just eat berry, will die
once i taught a newbee how to eat stew and pie, literally took like 30 min to teach her eating, using backpack, fixing berries but she was happy and thankful

this 7 usually on eve camp predicts a famine
in case of 20 bushes, 1 oven 1 pen
sure if you got stew and extra plates, some hard workers, can be avoided, still people die in chaos

generally one person can feed 4-8 sponges, and if 3 girls make it, and have 3 girls each and 7 reaches age 14, then people cant cope with extra population

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-05-14 14:50:31

Spoonwood

Smaller groups.  Some help is good.  Too many cooks in the kitchen... er smithy... just leads to headblock.  And then we end up with a ball of shame.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-14 14:50:49)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-05-14 15:21:03

FeignedSanity

Spoonwood wrote:

then we end up with a ball of shame.

This amused me to no end. I'm probably going to start referring to cold iron blooms as "balls of shame". So thank you for that.

As far as the post goes. It depends on whether I'm working or chilling. If I'm working, then I prefer to do so alone or with as few people as possible (if you want to help in the forge, fine; but do not touch the hammer or tongs, you can use the rock). Most people just wind up getting in my way, so if I see someone doing something, I'll do something else.

If I'm slacking off and chilling, then the more people, the better (provided bubble etiquette is followed). Communication is a pain, so I'd rather just work on stuff alone. If you know enough to help, then you know enough when joining in would or wouldn't cause trouble.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

Board footer