One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-12 19:44:49

Tarr
Banned

Learning to speak with Tarr.

So as you may know it's difficult to naturally attempt to learn all this gibberish stuff between families and with Eves respawning at dud springs it's possible to learn an area around bad springs and walk to the villages around it.

As such this allows Eves to roam around into villages with people who can't understand them or they can't understand. So what is our ways of trying to learn without making a radio?

Well first I tried paper. Basically I would write a statement or a bunch of keywords on the paper "I will make clothing" or "farm smith build bake sheep etc." Which at first seemed fine but it's hard to memorize this sort of stuff while making other people sit around to pick up pieces of paper. Overall thisis something you can do to learn specific phrases easily to store in your text memory but it's a lot of overall work.

A better solution we were having more success with was ____ - _____ method of speech. One of the ladies in the town kept saying fie whenever a baby was born fie lyma. This should be easy after noticing her say it a lot so what learned lyma = baby after her baby died and she frowned. Baby - Lyma? and she would respond back lyma - baby. This is how we would confirm what an object was back between the two families.

So if you use the pattern of your word - their word while holding something you can match the terms together and actually learn what something is in their language while storing it in your previous messages for reference.

So if trying to learn concepts such as north/east/south/west these are things that should be on a paper. If it's something you can hold/bump/touch you should use the double blank method to learn the word.

While all in all it's a really cool concept it's not one of those things that makes sense in the current game environment. Families don't last more than a day and you can't realistically revisit a town without walking back as Eve which means trying to memorize different words is sort of silly. Basically an update like this would be great when we get to a point of lasting families, until then it's sort of silly and only exists as a hassle.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-05-12 20:20:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Learning to speak with Tarr.

Tarr, recall that before, unless you were Tarr, you couldn't interact with other families AT ALL.

So, to call it a "hassle" is a little strange, because before there was impossible inter-village collaboration.  Now there is impractical inter-village collaboration.  It has to be less of a hassle than walking 5000 tiles to find another village.

But yes, little word games are possible.  The simplest is to just repeat back whatever you hear someone say.  They will see English coming out of your mouth, but guess that you don't really understand what you're saying.  If they repeat it back to you (in their english), you will get confirmation that your translation is correct.

You say HI, they see FA
They say HI, you see FA

You say FA, they see HI
They say HI, you see FA again
Etc.

By the way, this kind of thing has been a thread running through much of my work, after I read a portion of Word and Object by WVO Quine.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_translation

The fact that it's impractical in the scope of an hour, etc., is really not the point.

It does allow for one more kind of story.  That's the point.

Tarr, you spent time playing with this aspect of the game (as you documented in this post).  That's the point.  Another facet.

#3 2019-05-12 20:23:40

YannaChan
Banned

Yeah, One of the easiest ways to figure out language is the  '__-__ ' which I actually used in a life.

#4 2019-05-12 21:38:58

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Tarr, recall that before, unless you were Tarr, you couldn't interact with other families AT ALL.

Not true.  There existed a period where the Hetuw mod gave the coordinates of other families.  I remember a few lives walking to other families and in one I met someone on the discord in the other lineage (probably wouldn't have thought to ask 'who are you?' if I hadn't wandered into their village out of nowhere).  Pein I think has also done this sort of thing at some point in time.  The Hetuw mod also allows for people to lock in/get their absolute coordinates... something like that, so I think some other people are locating other families/town sites these days, though I haven't done used that feature myself... at least not so far... might end up easier to use than I've thought.

Additionally, Jason, I recall personally being Eve Spoon and making a diesel engine with Eve Frost on server12.  I think we talked to Eve Dickson that night also, who had just recently come back.  I also recall being Eve Spoon and talking to Eve Lenny and showing him my mosquito tombs and him saying "take that you sluts!".  Eve Frost also once drove her car to my town and talked with me, and later rode her plane to my town and said 'well that worked'.  I remember seeing Eve Frost on Twitch helping out Eve Stifado and his friends with their town and them talking to each other.  I once rung my town's belltower and heard another belltower rung back.  I got in my car and rode there.  Remember who the first person who took a picture using the in-game camera was?  It was Eve RedBear, the same person I meet and talked to in English with both us Eve-chaining.  I've been a child of lowimpact and talked to Eve Mellissa.  I rode to Willow's new town as Eve Spoon and helped her out also and we talked over some things planning things out/telling her what I was doing.  Eve Ross got lost and I was able to help Eve Ross as Eve Spoon get back to his town.  I'm sure there's someone else that I left out... oh... Eve Nikki... Eve DuPont... Eve Nikki settled in my town for a while that I had built and we had no communication problems.  We got Eve DuPont to have an Eve spawn in that town also.  I'm still probably leaving someone else out, and to them I apologize.

I also recall being a feral Eve and finding someone else's camp before the temperature overhaul and helping them start a camp as best I could.  I remember finding someone else's starter camp and I think she bailed on it.  I recall being in Kate Town with multiple lineages after some update.  And I'm sure there were other experiences.

I'm not saying that this language part of the update is bad.  I don't have an opinion either way at this point in time.  But, it's simply not true that no one else than Tarr couldn't interact with other families at all before this update.  People saying 'you can't find other towns' had a point, because you had to look up co-ordinates or something OR be lucky, which did happen sometimes, but it required luck so you couldn't reasonably expect for it to happen.  But, lineages interacting with each other is now hampered, and lineages interacting with each other DID happen before.

Tarr, I appreciate your efforts.  It might enable more effective OHOL communication in the future.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-05-12 21:56:35

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

tyTc1Nl.jpg

#6 2019-05-12 22:19:45

FeignedSanity

@Dodge

That's a wonderful picture lol. Also could accurately serve as spoon's avatar, tbh.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#7 2019-05-12 23:32:35

Jk Howling

Dodge wrote:

+1

-Has ascended to better games-

#8 2019-05-13 00:49:01

Spoonwood

Nope, didn't miss the point.  Plenty of players did interact with other families before this language update who were NOT as capable at playing OHOL as Tarr.  It was not impossible, contrary to what Jason said.  So, no, I didn't miss Jason's point, I refuted it.

Kate Town was an example which I mentioned.  Definitely had newer players there from different families living there who could talk to each other.  The change involves a hassle.  Still could be good overall though, that's much more complex.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-05-13 02:06:59

pein

i guess i been in top 10% back before on longest distances made
every time was a family in 1500 radius i went over and checked them out
on foot like 1000 is decent, on horse maybe max 3k
wasn't foolproof, the leaked coords were sometimes leding to dead rabbit hunters, once it was even like 1000 tiles from original camp, did a girl run out to make new camp had a baby?

one week the top lineage was Haak, i just led my mom 1500 tiles to emberson lineage, i noticed in stdout when she popped up.
Haak ended up the longest lineage
same week i brought around 12 packs and 3 horse carts to Cucci, and they ended up in top 5 as well.

Also used Catalano family to navigate and left 2 horses at their pen, they were closer to other families so was a good drop zoen getting back to Storm town

i had multiple lives when i got figured out that we are a spread family in multiple outposts, Knight, Bear and some other liens had this outpost thing going straight from each other or in triangles of 700 sides

sure is an exploit but not an easy one, if you spend more than 10 min with mapping and 15 with travel, doesn't worth much

without that not as often, but i found several towns when they were in 400 radius, and lot of dead camps while going for iron

btw i gave ideas for Whatever on some features like mapping and death notifications and births etc.

i hope you are fine with Bell tower navigation
----------------------------------------
as for languages
what if you would store the same language with eve name but limit same eve names ?
like i could learn the Peinado language by talking to others
guess it would be the first contact language only

or an unlock system where once you say a word that they got,  like lyma=baby, unlocks it and says in colored text, so you can use unlocked words and people don't need translation afterwards, they still need to unlock themselves
but like you could say a few words then replace the ones you know, and they show up as blue text meaning that you understand that word

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer