One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-19 02:02:56

shoukanjuu

Re: Man, I'm so sick of building camps just to see them rot

Um…Jason has been pretty clear about his goals. His goal is to add 100 items each week over the course of two years, to reach 10,000 items.

Personally, I think that's over-ambitious since he has to manage actual BUGS, plus rebalancing, and all the other stuff, and THEN still have time to develop 100 new items a week (even though, as you can see from the video, many "items" are permutations of other items, or all their different states—but still). That you watched the video and came away with the impression that the game had 10,000 items implemented NOW…that was incorrect.

Oh, and on the main page, you can see the Progress Report:

....Progress Report....
34 natural objects                                              (latest: Soft Adobe Wall)
(latest: Alum)        8 playable characters        463 human-makeable objects

So that's where we're at.

Last edited by shoukanjuu (2018-03-19 02:04:44)

#27 2018-03-19 02:18:12

Casdir

shoukanjuu wrote:

Um…Jason has been pretty clear about his goals. His goal is to add 100 items each week over the course of two years, to reach 10,000 items.

Personally, I think that's over-ambitious since he has to manage actual BUGS, plus rebalancing, and all the other stuff, and THEN still have time to develop 100 new items a week (even though, as you can see from the video, many "items" are permutations of other items, or all their different states—but still). That you watched the video and came away with the impression that the game had 10,000 items implemented NOW…that was incorrect.

Oh, and on the main page, you can see the Progress Report:

....Progress Report....
34 natural objects                                              (latest: Soft Adobe Wall)
(latest: Alum)        8 playable characters        463 human-makeable objects

So that's where we're at.

Oh, that explains a lot. Thanks for pointing it out!

And I totally agree with the permutation thing.

#28 2018-03-19 02:22:50

Antichthon

Casdir wrote:
Antichthon wrote:
Casdir wrote:

Wasn't there like a trailer about the game that said that the game has more than 10.000 items? I doubt that we have already seen all of these items yet.

Here is the link to the video. It even is from the man himself, Jason. It's his youtube channel I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu2eszsIg

He only showed 261 items in this little preview video. And most of all the items were items that we're working with right now. I mean, that's not even close to 1k items, from the supposedly 10k items that are apperently in the game right now.

There are not 10,000 objects in this game. Maybe he has them made and is prepared to release them slowly. Maybe he plans to have 10,000 objects. Or maybe it's just a PR lie, I'm not sure. But there definitely aren't anywhere near 10,000 objects currently in the game.

That's what I believe too. If there were that many items in the game right now, surely we would have seen more of them by now.

Would be nice to get an statement from Jason himself about this video, since it seems really odd that there are supposed to be more than 10k items right now. Perhaps it's the amount of items that he is striving for for his game.

I believe that's the case, yes. Just a lot of people spreading misinformation that 10,000 objects exist right now. Youtubers especially.

#29 2018-03-19 02:42:21

Tarzan

Casdir wrote:

Also, stop frickin picking carrots from the farm. Take carrots from baskets and only take from the farm if it is an emergency. I'm so sick of trying to grow seeds and everytime some people pick the seeding ones, EVEN when there are carrots in baskets around! Due to that annoyance, I started to make hidden backup places for seeds. You know, put some fertile somewhere further away from the town and water it to grow seeds there.

It really sucks to work your ass off to build a camp from ground up, just to have people ruin it due to mismanagement and being flat out inexperienced. I get it, everybody has to start from somewhere. But for veterans like me, it's just getting to a point of frustration when you have to work with such people. To see how inexperienced people ruin everything that you have tried to build up so hard at that point.

As with any kind of public space, people are generally going to do the easiest thing to get where they need to be, in this instance picking carrots to eat straight from fields. Building a fenced off carrot farm and placing baskets of carrots at the entrance could be a solution, seeding carrots etc. could be kept out of easy reach. Not easy to build in one lifetime, but maybe a start?

#30 2018-03-19 05:19:44

mikekchar

Source code is available ;-).  Here are the items: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeD … er/objects

There currently appear to be 660 objects in the game.  I'm quite sure he meant that there will *eventually* be 10,000 objects.  The point of the game is for people to play the game while he watches and adds relevant content every week.  In that way he gets to see what people will value rather than guess ahead of time.

Also, WRT "I killed myself to learn this and ignorant newbies ignore me while ruining everything" is literally my life as a senior programmer.  I will guess that it is pretty much true of many aspects of life.  Solve this problem and you will "win the game".  I'll just point out, though, that Jason wrote this game and yet does not accept patches for anything except bug fixes.  Going away and playing on your own server, where you can vet the other players is a completely reasonable strategy.  Even playing by yourself on your own server is quite fun (that's what I've been doing!) Possibly the difficulty level of playing in the wild is too high and you need to control a few variables.  Personally, I think this is completely reasonable.  But I'll also say that there is fun to be had subjecting yourself to the barbs of society.  Consider asking yourself what the purpose of the game is?  To learn how to efficiently build everything in the game?  Or to learn how to cooperate with a bunch of random people, each having a different set of experiences and goals?

Just judging from the pace of content being added, I guess he intends to extend the game for a few years.  He has control over that aspect of the game, but I suspect he is most interested to see how the *players* evolve over that time period.

#31 2018-03-19 06:11:44

Joriom
Website

Casdir wrote:

Would be nice to get an statement from Jason himself about this video, since it seems really odd that there are supposed to be more than 10k items right now. Perhaps it's the amount of items that he is striving for for his game.

You don't need the statement from Jason. You can simply open the game directory, go to "objects" folder and see whats the highest number file you see there. Currently that is:
759.txt
id=759
Soft Adobe Wall
Item added just few days ago in lastest update.

You can also find video on youtube how Jason was creating sheeps and wool to add to the game not so far ago - so he does not have "future tech items" already made and he is not just teasing us with slow updates...

id=575
Domestic Sheep

#32 2018-03-19 06:14:39

shoukanjuu

mikekchar wrote:

Consider asking yourself what the purpose of the game is?  To learn how to efficiently build everything in the game?  Or to learn how to cooperate with a bunch of random people, each having a different set of experiences and goals?

I expect there to be a continuous influx of new players over time. Maybe not a huge amount, but enough so that there will always be a certain percentage of newbies needing to be trained. So…a little from column A, a little from column B. A lot of discussion on this forum is not just about figuring out the optimal settup, but one that can be communicated through multiple generations.

mikekchar wrote:

Just judging from the pace of content being added, I guess he intends to extend the game for a few years.  He has control over that aspect of the game, but I suspect he is most interested to see how the *players* evolve over that time period.

I'm super-excited to see the path things take. After the initial flurry of playing over and over as much as I could, I've settled down to being satisfied with playing one or two lives lived to completion every day or so. I'm hoping to keep that up, at least a couple of times a week, over the course of the game's development. So I can watch the evolution of the game, the new tech, and how the players learn to use it all and organize themselves.

#33 2018-03-19 15:43:01

Casdir

Things are starting to look brighter, at least on server 3. Me and all the other folks finally managed to build up a bunch of big camps all closely together. We connected them with roads by now, which is great. There tend to be more bows around then I've ever seen in any of the other towns. I mostly only saw like 1 or maybe 2 bows in a camp before. But with more bows available now, people are actually able to defend themselves now in a much quicker fashion.

Interestingly enough, I have not seen anyone with a knife around. Maybe people started to stop making them since they realized they're not as useful to have, other than for killing people.

But one big problem still remains, and that is the fact that newbies have it too easy to mess up camps. Another annoyance that I witnessed today was how some people messed up the Milkweed farm that I have helped making bigger in one of the camps yesterday. When I logged in today, it was nearly gone. Some people must have picked the milkweed flowers at the worst stage, when they're all green with no buds or flowers on them. Or when they were flowering with pink flowers on them. I honestly don't understand why the one with pink flowers doesn't regrow. Shouldn't it regrew just like the middle staged one?

Anyways. It was obviously a problem that people were messing up the milkweed farm, since people had much less clothings because of it. Not the biggest problem considering that we had two other camps near by to get help from. But still.

We rebuild it and all is fine.. for now.. until some guy is going to mess with it again. *sigh*

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 15:51:07)

#34 2018-03-19 21:12:39

Casdir

Also starting to get sick of people wasting my time. I just spawned in one of my well known camps, had my mom grab me and run far away from the camp up north for some reason. I didn't understand why she was running with me, but there is nothing I could have done about it anyway as a baby. Then she stopped and let go of me and ran back south to the camp I started with.

Thanks Mom! thanks for wasting my time. Seriously, some people are just frickin stupid. And btw, they had tons of food laying around. AAND I was a girl.

It's just so annoying that you're 100% dependent on your Mom for like the first 3 mins or so. Real life or not, it's still a game. Stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth..

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 21:14:48)

#35 2018-03-19 21:39:38

Casdir

Wow, just wow. I'm done with this game for today.

So I just spawned back in the interconnected camp side. After I finally gotten a good mom to raise me, I went immidiatly to the town which was known for having loads of clothes.

I went down to the sheep farm and saw a knife laying inside of it. My alarm bells started to ring and I imagined the worst. And as expected, some asshat was going on a rampage with a knife and killed all the sheeps as well as some people by the looks of the corpses. The same guy was also wasting food resources of the camp, which I was able to tell by seeing all the berries laying on the ground next to a bunch of domestic berry bushes.

Seriously, this is just killing the fun for me. I'm sick and tired of trying to push these camps onward, only to have dickheads ruin everything, slowing down the process by a lot.
The time and effort that people put into these camps just to have their work being ruined by someone like that is annoying as fuk.

I mean here's the thing, people don't even need weapons to ruin camps. All they need to do is waste all the food ressources. BOOM! a big amount of people are going to starve when they're getting low on food, running to the food storage or whatever, just to realise that some fuk stuffed all the carrots in his belly. Or moved the carrot carts somewhere else, somewhere hidden.

I'll be back tomorrow to see how things are looking. Though, I'm not too hopeful at this point anymore, as I'm sure that there are quite some other folks out there that are starting to get pissed off by this. And when those people stop playing as well, then things are starting to get even slower in terms of progressing.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 23:19:58)

#36 2018-03-19 21:49:47

ShadowsSoldier

As of now no there are not 10,000 items in the game, he says he will be adding things per week, and I'm guessing that this will add up to 1,000's of items. The items in the video are what are currently in game.

#37 2018-03-19 22:04:00

Go! Bwah!

I think this game is fatally flawed in its current form.  It requires a level of lasting cooperation and effort that is hard to drum up among enough people.  People have better things to do than rebuild fake civilization without actual survival to motivate them.

As a game, it's supposed to be fun.  If it's too hard to be fun for many people, it will go over to people who have fun in easier (usually destructive) ways.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#38 2018-03-20 10:38:09

Dagar

Honestly, Casdir, I'd advise you to stay away from the game for some time if it makes you so frustrated. If it's no fun for you, just leave it, at least for a while.
There is no obligation for other players to act so that you can enjoy yourself. That's the nature of a multi player game.
Oh, and lastly, I view it as completely normal to put unwanted children out in the wild where they cannot interfere with the ones the tribe actually wants to bring up. Your character being female does not necessarily mean you are wanted. Keeping population growth in check and all that.

#39 2018-03-20 13:33:36

Guluere

Beyond the 10k items in the future, would be mods, which can make the number of items the game will have a lot more, maybe 15k+ or 20k+.

#40 2018-03-22 04:17:58

shoukanjuu

Go! Bwah! wrote:

As a game, it's supposed to be fun.

No, no, and additionally, no.

Board footer