One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 09:26:13

Casdir

Man, I'm so sick of building camps just to see them rot

Seriously, yesterday I was building a camp with my family. I told a story about my Mom and Uncle with which I was living together in our little camp. I left the camp with so much stuff.
We had a good amount of carrots (10-ish baskets.) and a ton of seeds (at least 6 to 8 baskets full of seeds.), and clothes for 3 people. We also had 10 water pouches. We had Almost every tool, except for an axe. We had Like 2 carts, maybe 3.

Wanna know what happened to the camp after I happened to spawn back into it? Almost non of the items were left. Food was a problem. There were no backup seeds, and there were only 3 water pouches around. 2 to 3 people had clothes, which seemed ok. But seriously, what the heck are people doing?? where went the rest of our water pouches? did people die with them in the middle of nowhere? I really hate that. Water pouches are really important. Please make sure that when you die as a waterboy, die somewhere where people can find the water pouches you were carrying around with you. I know, it's not always as easy as picking where you want to die, but please. Just pay more attention to it.

Also, stop frickin picking carrots from the farm. Take carrots from baskets and only take from the farm if it is an emergency. I'm so sick of trying to grow seeds and everytime some people pick the seeding ones, EVEN when there are carrots in baskets around! Due to that annoyance, I started to make hidden backup places for seeds. You know, put some fertile somewhere further away from the town and water it to grow seeds there.

It really sucks to work your ass off to build a camp from ground up, just to have people ruin it due to mismanagement and being flat out inexperienced. I get it, everybody has to start from somewhere. But for veterans like me, it's just getting to a point of frustration when you have to work with such people. To see how inexperienced people ruin everything that you have tried to build up so hard at that point.

I don't know how exactly you would deal with this kind of problem in a game like this right now. Since it's a 2D game, things are a lot more limited.

What are your thoughts?

#2 2018-03-18 09:38:45

Inoox

Re: Man, I'm so sick of building camps just to see them rot

Me and my friend were getting frustrated at this as well. I would die of old age in a fantastic village only to bw born into there a day later to see that nothing has been done (i was half way to building floor and wall for the bakery) and all people want to do is farm carrots and then everyone dies, its actually quite amusing to witness the same thing happen over and over and nobody even bothers to listen to me.

I feel like if i dont make pies then nobody makes pies
If i dont hunt rabbits then nobody hunts rabbits
If i dont... e.t.c.

Anyway we joined the 120 server (cant remember name sorry) and its amazing. My friend and I are building an effecient village and nobody else is a noob. Everyone knows how to play

#3 2018-03-18 10:04:06

InSpace

Same thing happened for me, been in the same village on and off for three days, nothing has changed and everyone keeps farming carrots frantically and dying. I started building a bakery there yesterday and finished it today.

#4 2018-03-18 11:10:34

Dagar

Maybe lengthy answer incoming:
First of all, I think people reading the forums are not the one you are actually addressing with this matter, as people who want to learn more about the game externally usually are quite aware of the matters.
Secondly, I myself have just picked up the game, cannot play too much and try to learn in game rather than outside. But still, as I am a social nature, I do not just want to spawn somewhere, have them nurture me and then not contribute while I try new things out. So a fair amount of time I will farm, get water etc. and not do any fancy advanced stuff. Maybe the reason why so little progress is happening is because others are like me.
Third, every couple generations a village does not have the expertise to know that they have to limit their numbers, so they all starve and migrate, and someone else has to get the whole thing going later. Again, no progress. And when it is late night or morning on a work day, not many people will be there -> little sharing of knowledge -> little progress.
The last thing is communication. The whole community is I think growing atm, so the mean experience of all players is growing very slowly, if at all. It takes only one newby who thinks that it is a better idea to take a carrot from the field than from a basket to spare the field workers some clicks and your seeding rows are plundered or at least inefficient. So you need to communicate where the information is needed: in the game. I've had two lives where my main work on the field was to watch over the one line of carrots that were left for seeds and repeat the same thing over and over again. I am sure there will be some kind of convention established once >90% of people know you need fully planted carrot rows for seeds, but this "level of education", if you will, first has to be met. So maybe do some farming work for some minutes of your life, and keep watch over those rows, and communicate, so others can learn. It is in your responsibility as experienced player to help all advance. Not so much by doing fancy stuff, but by teaching more people to do that stuff. Any form of advanced technology is useless if people don't know how to use it properly, so guide them there instead of complaining.
This game is a social experiment. The basis for all social interaction is communication. Established rules (like saying F for food as a baby, not draining ponds completely and so on) can help this communication be more efficient, so develop some rules for carrot rows, tool and ressource usage and COMMUNICATE THEM!

#5 2018-03-18 12:47:58

Matok

Dagar hit it right on. Most the people reading the forums know what to do and for the most part, are likely not the cause of the failures. If you're on the forums is likely because you're looking to learn something about the game.

I think a huge influx of the player base is actually from people who saw a youtuber playing it. Now, I don't know if you've seen some of the videos on the game on youtube but... they're not exactly instructional, for the most part. I think someone here from the forum put the effort into to making some instructional youtube videos, but the bulk of the youtube player base likely hasn't seen them if they're just watching the popular youtuber channels.

So they get a laugh watching their favorite youtuber flail about in-game for a bit, think hey, this game might be fun, and they go buy it because they want to flail about too. Good for Jason, but means there's a group that's just going to be randomly clicking things, because that's all they know how to do.

And inevitably, even if you have a solid group building a camp, they're going to be replaced by some of these players in an hour.

#6 2018-03-18 12:56:46

Dawn

Dagar wrote:

First of all, I think people reading the forums are not the one you are actually addressing with this matter, as people who want to learn more about the game externally usually are quite aware of the matters.
Secondly, I myself have just picked up the game, cannot play too much and try to learn in game rather than outside. But still, as I am a social nature, I do not just want to spawn somewhere, have them nurture me and then not contribute while I try new things out. So a fair amount of time I will farm, get water etc. and not do any fancy advanced stuff. Maybe the reason why so little progress is happening is because others are like me.
Third, every couple generations a village does not have the expertise to know that they have to limit their numbers, so they all starve and migrate, and someone else has to get the whole thing going later. Again, no progress. And when it is late night or morning on a work day, not many people will be there -> little sharing of knowledge -> little progress.
The last thing is communication. The whole community is I think growing atm, so the mean experience of all players is growing very slowly, if at all. It takes only one newby who thinks that it is a better idea to take a carrot from the field than from a basket to spare the field workers some clicks and your seeding rows are plundered or at least inefficient. So you need to communicate where the information is needed: in the game. I've had two lives where my main work on the field was to watch over the one line of carrots that were left for seeds and repeat the same thing over and over again. I am sure there will be some kind of convention established once >90% of people know you need fully planted carrot rows for seeds, but this "level of education", if you will, first has to be met. So maybe do some farming work for some minutes of your life, and keep watch over those rows, and communicate, so others can learn. It is in your responsibility as experienced player to help all advance. Not so much by doing fancy stuff, but by teaching more people to do that stuff. Any form of advanced technology is useless if people don't know how to use it properly, so guide them there instead of complaining.
This game is a social experiment. The basis for all social interaction is communication. Established rules (like saying F for food as a baby, not draining ponds completely and so on) can help this communication be more efficient, so develop some rules for carrot rows, tool and ressource usage and COMMUNICATE THEM!

I really like your point. So far I've been focussing on developing individual civilisations, getting them to be as advanced as possible. But your post is making me think that communication of what I know should be my top priority because no matter how far I can get a civilisation on my own, it's going to die and have to be restarted by someone in a couple days max.

Some of my best in-game experiences have been where I've taught people the basics of sustainability, how to make compost etc.

Increasing the mean knowledge seems like a great mission.

#7 2018-03-18 13:06:51

ned

Yeah, im going to agree with Dagar on this one. There's a philosophy of life that basically says the community around you is a reflection of you. If you are patient and nice to others, they will be nice and patient, too. If you simply do your own work, even if it's efficient and helpful, others will do their own work (and if they're newer it won't be so helpful or efficient).

If you're complaining about how you're contributing when other people aren't, 1) you're not seeing the contributions others are giving, or 2) You're not giving the time to teach others your craft.

Dagar has a good point that player volume is increasing and, because of that, the knowledge of the average player hasn't grown much. That the 120 server is doing well is proof of this. But isolating those who don't know anything and playing the game only with those who already know what to do exacerbates this problem. It completely undermines the culture of the game that Jason is aiming for and reduces it to Don't Starve (which is a fun game but not as fun as this one).

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#8 2018-03-18 13:09:30

ShadowsSoldier

Dawn wrote:
Dagar wrote:

I really like your point. So far I've been focussing on developing individual civilisations, getting them to be as advanced as possible. But your post is making me think that communication of what I know should be my top priority because no matter how far I can get a civilisation on my own, it's going to die and have to be restarted by someone in a couple days max.

Some of my best in-game experiences have been where I've taught people the basics of sustainability, how to make compost etc.

Increasing the mean knowledge seems like a great mission.

I've been doing the same, we have a centralized base atm (all be it slightly unorganized in my opinion) but i digress, I've been making "outposts" basically everything a civilization would need, small farm, wells, smithy (with all tools), berry farm, milkweed farm, and of course a stockpile of food for the person who finds it. I've been following the idea of keep it simple stupid, make it very easy to see what is what and how it should work as well as very orginized ill take some screenshots at some point.

#9 2018-03-18 13:32:48

Hero

Casdir wrote:

Also, stop frickin picking carrots from the farm. Take carrots from baskets and only take from the farm if it is an emergency. I'm so sick of trying to grow seeds and everytime some people pick the seeding ones, EVEN when there are carrots in baskets around! Due to that annoyance, I started to make hidden backup places for seeds. You know, put some fertile somewhere further away from the town and water it to grow seeds there.

I tried a carrot farm manager run yesterday in a major settlement. I spent half the game guarding the separate seed patch with a weapon. It kinda works but it's madness inducing especially when the game decides to troll you by having invisible people pick your seed carrots.

Dagar sums up alot of this for me but I'd say it's healthy for regs to vent their frustrations here in a friendly environment. Even if the newer players won't ever read it.

Maybe it's just me but yesterday felt like a massive surge of brand new players (weekend/rising YouTube fame?). Those guys are gonna need some communication from us if we don't want them to become the next generation of griefers that couldn't find a quick and easy refund button.

#10 2018-03-18 13:36:28

Inoox

Dagar wrote:

Like I said before, they do not listen to me.

communication becomes pointless if they do not do as you say or ask.

"Don't pick carrots from the farm, we need seeds." ... does not respond and then proceeds to eat carrots from the farm dooming everyone.
"Don't look after any more babies, we need to become more sustainable before we have more." ... does not respond and then proceeds to look after every single new player that spawns in, dooming everyone.
"We need someone baking pie's, I can teach if you need to learn." ... nobody responds and carries on farming a dying carrot farm, dooming everyone.

I am bored of it and bored of ignorant players. The only reason I got good is because I listened to other people, something which at least 50% of the players do not do or simply do not care.

#11 2018-03-18 14:20:34

deBeerlax

Casdir wrote:

I don't know how exactly you would deal with this kind of problem in a game like this right now.

I just saw a problem with the Noorg server that may help correct the overall destructive noob problem. The Noorg server currently has a fixed spawn location and someone had built trash pits all around with a single adobe wall. Funny, but not currently playable.

I was originally going to suggest we password protect certain servers to keep those without the password or that frequent the forums, off the server. Thinking about that, only playing with veterans kind of defeats the big picture experience of the game.

Anyway, I'm gonna check out the 120 server. I still have yet to learn blacksmithing. What is charcoal for?

#12 2018-03-18 15:10:50

Casdir

You guys bring up some good points. It's just a love and hate relationship with this game right now. Sometimes the game works out quite well, other times it's the complete opposite.
Something I really miss is progress and a big goal to work towards to. Obviously the biggest goal right now is to get a huge camp going, a camp with hundreds or thousands of active people. But that's not as easy as it would be in real life. You see, in real life there are billions of people all around the globe. So there are much higher chances that some village may eventually be able to progress their civilization in a big way. 1H1L on the other hand has how many people playing it? a couple thousand maybe? and it's not an easy game as we all know. Else we would have been much further by now I would say. It's just too easy for people to ruin everything in just a few steps, I think that's the problem.

deBeerlax wrote:
Casdir wrote:

I don't know how exactly you would deal with this kind of problem in a game like this right now.

I just saw a problem with the Noorg server that may help correct the overall destructive noob problem. The Noorg server currently has a fixed spawn location and someone had built trash pits all around with a single adobe wall. Funny, but not currently playable.

I was originally going to suggest we password protect certain servers to keep those without the password or that frequent the forums, off the server. Thinking about that, only playing with veterans kind of defeats the big picture experience of the game.

Anyway, I'm gonna check out the 120 server. I still have yet to learn blacksmithing. What is charcoal for?

You use charcoal as burning fuel for the kiln to heat up ores such as iron or steel. Smithing is pretty complicated, like most things in this game. But of course, once you know it it's like driving on a bicycle.

I actually just learned smithing myself earlier on Server 12. His/Her name was Izzy. He teached me everything about it, and even though it seemed rather finicky at first, once I got into the groove, it actually started to become pretty fun. I always wanted to be able to craft some of the more useful tools in order to be able to craft carts.

Thank you so much, Izzy!

#13 2018-03-18 17:37:25

jakeinmn

So, if I spawn as your grandson, and find an abandoned city with tenfold the wealth of the camp you started and carrots I'm just supposted to live your legacy? Whose to say the legacy doesn't start with your grandson restarting a dormant city.

#14 2018-03-18 17:50:06

Casdir

jakeinmn wrote:

So, if I spawn as your grandson, and find an abandoned city with tenfold the wealth of the camp you started and carrots I'm just supposted to live your legacy? Whose to say the legacy doesn't start with your grandson restarting a dormant city.

So here is what happened. Me and two other people have build a wealthy little camp. Unfortunately I was born as a boy and my mother has gotten too old to produce more children. Eventually we all died, but we made sure to leave the camp in top notch condition for other people to continue on with our camp and try to make it even bigger.

The next day I logged in, I was lucky enough to be born at that exact same camp again. There were a bunch of people, atleast 10 or so. But as soon as I took a look at the farm, I was already baffled about how it looked so much worse compared to the state at which I and my family have left it. So I tried my best to save the farm by taking control of it with whoever else was helping with it. Me and a newborn told people to leave some carrots for seeds. But there was that one guy... that one motherf***n guy that just wouldn't stop picking carrots from the field. We told him many times to take the carrots from the baskets, but he just wouldn't listen. He basically fk'ed the farm over. At that point I just given up on the camp. It's pissing me off to no end when people just wont listen to you.

Now I know better. I learned to make seed fields somewhere outside the camp, somewhere hidden. That way it's less likely that newbies are going to fuk you over with your farm.

Also, if you happen to find a huge camp while being at a little one, then be it. Go join the huge one. That's all up to you.
Either way, both camps are going to profit from your usefulness.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-18 17:56:18)

#15 2018-03-18 18:11:56

Naeght

I think it will be a gradual thing, as more new players eventually learn the ropes.
The only thing veterans can do is design teaching sistems to accelerate the process of information spreading, and that will have to be done in-game to reach the noobs.

I use atleast two ways to spread information, depending on how much effort i want to put on managing the tribe.

First is beeing a dedicated matriarch. I have tons of fun just raising children, asking if they want to learn X or Y job, and assigning them as apprentices to already existing crafters. That way i delegate the learning, and once the boy is done learning the older  member of the tribe can start a new job. Weapons might be needed to deal with unruly childs. (One never spoke a word in 10 years, even when threatened. He creeped me out so i had to kill him). Make sure to train a successor, our your civ will die shortly after u.

Second, when i dont want to carry the whole tribe on my back,  I just take apprentices. Head to the fire, adopt a child, make sure they dont starve and teach them composting, forging, farming, whatever job you were doing. Sometimes u may have to teach how to use containers.

People can probably think of a few more ways, i say we discuss them for a while and then compile them in a new thread.

PS: teach the babies, they are forced to listen to you. Adults just quickly run by.  And dont just make them all farm.

Last edited by Naeght (2018-03-18 18:18:15)

#16 2018-03-18 18:18:50

Casdir

Naeght wrote:

I think it will be a gradual thing, as more new players eventually learn the ropes.
The only thing veterans can do is design teaching sistems to accelerate the process of information spreading, and that will have to be done in-game to reach the noobs.

I use atleast two ways to spread information, depending on how much effort i want to put on managing the tribe.

First is beeing a dedicated matriarch. I have tons of fun just raising children, asking if they want to learn X or Y job, and assigning them as apprentices to already existing crafters. That way i delegate the learning, and once the boy is done learning the older  member of the tribe can start a new job. Weapons might be needed to deal with unruly childs. (One never spoke a word in 10 years, even when threatened. He creeped me out so i had to kill him).

Second, when i dont want to carry the whole tribe on my back,  I just take apprentices. Head to the fire, adopt a child, make sure they dont starve and teach them composting, forging, farming, whatever job you were doing. Sometimes u may have to teach how to use containers.

People can probably think of a few more ways, i say we discuss them for a while and then compile them in a new thread.

PS: teach the babies, they are forced to listen to you. Adults just quickly run by.

The thing is, not everyone is good at teaching stuff. And some people just won't listen to you, or just don't understand you because of a language barrier or something.

It's just too easy to screw up farms as a newbie. We will have to develop tactics to make it harder for the noobs to screw camps over.
Making backup seed farms outside the camp for example. I once learned it from someone else and it's working, obviously.

#17 2018-03-18 21:48:15

Helperguy

It's just too easy to screw up farms as a newbie. We will have to develop tactics to make it harder for the noobs to screw camps over.
Making backup seed farms outside the camp for example. I once learned it from someone else and it's working, obviously.

This is a nice idea. But what i am really wondering about: How to save clothes?

My todays work was the crafting of around 15 full outfits in the same camp.
I respawned many times at the same village, which made it possible.
But when i came back after 2 hours of real life , there was ONLY ONE jacket left?
I think someone murdered all people, because there was one bloody knife at a dead body.
Im still wondering what might have happened to all these clothes.
I hope they are useful..

#18 2018-03-18 22:27:32

EmmyGamba

Well some people just grab everything they can from large villages, sometimes even cards full of food or clothes and just hide them somewhere in the wild. Saw that happen a bunch of times yesterday.

#19 2018-03-18 23:04:09

jakeinmn

Casdir wrote:
jakeinmn wrote:

So here is what happened. Me and two other people have build a wealthy little camp. Unfortunately I was born as a boy and my mother has gotten too old to produce more children. Eventually we all died, but we made sure to leave the camp in top notch condition for other people to continue on with our camp and try to make it even bigger.

The next day I logged in, I was lucky enough to be born at that exact same camp again. There were a bunch of people, atleast 10 or so. But as soon as I took a look at the farm, I was already baffled about how it looked so much worse compared to the state at which I and my family have left it. So I tried my best to save the farm by taking control of it with whoever else was helping with it. Me and a newborn told people to leave some carrots for seeds. But there was that one guy... that one motherf***n guy that just wouldn't stop picking carrots from the field. We told him many times to take the carrots from the baskets, but he just wouldn't listen. He basically fk'ed the farm over. At that point I just given up on the camp. It's pissing me off to no end when people just wont listen to you.

Now I know better. I learned to make seed fields somewhere outside the camp, somewhere hidden. That way it's less likely that newbies are going to fuk you over with your farm.

Also, if you happen to find a huge camp while being at a little one, then be it. Go join the huge one. That's all up to you.
Either way, both camps are going to profit from your usefulness.

Sounds like a perfectly good use case for a knife. Also sounds like you're too attached to a game where you shouldn't be attached to your character's stuff.

#20 2018-03-19 00:05:41

Antichthon

Helperguy wrote:

But when i came back after 2 hours of real life , there was ONLY ONE jacket left?
I think someone murdered all people, because there was one bloody knife at a dead body.
I hope they are useful..

Remember that if you die on farmland, or bones are harvested and the items  on the corpse have nowhere to go, clothes disappear. Until this is fixed, there will be a constant loss of clothing to be fought back against. And this isn't considering all the clothes lost out in the wilds, which is considerable.

#21 2018-03-19 00:41:55

Casdir

Antichthon wrote:
Helperguy wrote:

I hope they are useful..

Remember that if you die on farmland, or bones are harvested and the items  on the corpse have nowhere to go, clothes disappear. Until this is fixed, there will be a constant loss of clothing to be fought back against. And this isn't considering all the clothes lost out in the wilds, which is considerable.

Since you said that you saw evidence of a mass massacre, it seems pretty likely that people got killed on farmland or on top of other objects, which tends to despawn everything your character was holding and wearing upon death. Even your corpse disappears in that process. or some people died somewhere in the wilderness behind trees and shit. It sucks, but what can you do, other than to hope that Jason is going to fix these things in the future.

Of which I'm confident he's going to do. Hopefully he is going to spend more time on fixing, optimizing and balancing the game, instead of adding more items to the game. Right now we don't really need more items. We haven't even seen 50% of all the items yet, have we?

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 00:44:16)

#22 2018-03-19 00:46:40

Joriom
Website

Casdir wrote:

We haven't even seen 50% of all the items yet, have we?

What do you mean? Many settlements have all the stuff already. Steel tools, sheep, wells, crowns and pine walls are the last technological feats as of now. There is no tech after that yet... They just can't make good use of that. And pro players in closed communites already blew through all the tech tree like 50 times and started to build palaces out of pine walls... just to kill boredom.

#23 2018-03-19 00:55:18

Casdir

Joriom wrote:
Casdir wrote:

What do you mean? Many settlements have all the stuff already. Steel tools, sheep, wells, crowns and pine walls are the last technological feats as of now. There is no tech after that yet... They just can't make good use of that. And pro players in closed communites already blew through all the tech tree like 50 times and started to build palaces out of pine walls... just to kill boredom.

Wasn't there like a trailer about the game that said that the game has more than 10.000 items? I doubt that we have already seen all of these items yet.

Here is the link to the video. It even is from the man himself, Jason. It's his youtube channel I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu2eszsIg

He only showed 261 items in this little preview video. And most of all the items were items that we're already working with right now. I mean, that's not even close to 1k items from the supposedly 10k items that are apperently in the game right now.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 01:36:40)

#24 2018-03-19 01:13:27

Antichthon

Casdir wrote:
Joriom wrote:
Casdir wrote:

Wasn't there like a trailer about the game that said that the game has more than 10.000 items? I doubt that we have already seen all of these items yet.

Here is the link to the video. It even is from the man himself, Jason. It's his youtube channel I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu2eszsIg

He only showed 261 items in this little preview video. And most of all the items were items that we're working with right now. I mean, that's not even close to 1k items, from the supposedly 10k items that are apperently in the game right now.

There are not 10,000 objects in this game. Maybe he has them made and is prepared to release them slowly. Maybe he plans to have 10,000 objects. Or maybe it's just a PR lie, I'm not sure. But there definitely aren't anywhere near 10,000 objects currently in the game.

#25 2018-03-19 01:31:09

Casdir

Antichthon wrote:
Casdir wrote:
Joriom wrote:

He only showed 261 items in this little preview video. And most of all the items were items that we're working with right now. I mean, that's not even close to 1k items, from the supposedly 10k items that are apperently in the game right now.

There are not 10,000 objects in this game. Maybe he has them made and is prepared to release them slowly. Maybe he plans to have 10,000 objects. Or maybe it's just a PR lie, I'm not sure. But there definitely aren't anywhere near 10,000 objects currently in the game.

That's what I believe too. If there were that many items in the game right now, surely we would have seen more of them by now.

Would be nice to get an statement from Jason himself about this video, since it seems really odd that there are supposed to be more than 10k items right now. Perhaps it's the amount of items that he is striving for for his game.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 01:34:19)

Board footer