One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-05-08 06:29:56

1%Spacebar

Re: What's a sword between neighboring towns?

Dodge wrote:

If you plan on having more wars, you have to fix PVP, right now it's very frustrating and akward because of the right click that makes you drop your weapon.

There is a possible solution to this:

Having weapons that you cant drop with right click and has a holster/container that you carry on you.

To drop the weapon you put it in holster/container then take it off and drop it

if you drop the weapon on the ground by dying or getting stabbed/shot etc it drops on the floor as weapon without holster and this weapon can be dropped with right click until you put it in a holster.

This would allow PVP to be a lot better and a real part of the game.

It would also get rid of stabbing someone when you want to put your knife down (or bow, whatever). A change I'd definitely welcome.

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

#52 2019-05-08 07:05:52

pein

combat:
we don't have a combat system
1 hp is not a combat system, the first to shoot wins most times
you need a real combat system, and a health bar
allows mistakes and injuries but in the end is more skill based
like one harry potter game had a simple system
where you attack and reflect attacks so you need to dodge or reflect
with a point and click game i don't really see a combat style but maybe should be some duel system where players step into a ring and transferred to a minigame

nations:
to be balanced, i still think multiple eves should belong to same nation
what you say for skin tones is good, but you could also make different families ugly client side

fences should be upgradeable with something, like place adobe on it and becomes undestroyable half wall for half an hour
or just keeps the fence if someone takes down the adobe
once is stone or full adobe wall, then is better defence against others

but i still think we don't have enough resources to defend a whole city and no reason, no time , no fun

at least my territory control system would be good

or some sort of score system
what about spawning in fortss when a town reaches a certain level
then  people need to find the fort and upgrade it, taking over a fort to your team/family would give extra score  and renewable resources

mount and blade had nice siege system, or shadow of war had something set up where you need to control checkpoints within a fort

and if you cant get back, then no matter to the whole thing, no one cares winning a fight to spawn on the losing side after it
so a nation should be multiple eve families
like people spawn around a center, the first 4 eves are set on edges of a square, then each and one of them gets one more Eve at a time
a score system would help them spreading the eves first to the worst standing positions and would give extra people over time

the problem with races is that people would quit if they don't like a race, or want to try another one
so some sort of minimal control to choose your faction for the day
for example 4 races: black, white, creol and asian (you could add some yellowish people) maybe native american?
you would have more balance between the races if they are predefinded number
the eve number could vary but the ones who start later would support the first ones.
than we wuld have cooperation and fight the same time
we don't have that much people so 4 nations could be like 30-50 people at all times each group

once one is eliminated, the other 3 would continue the fight until only one is remaining.

people could choose a side, anything from the top team
this would help the bottom teams to make a comeback and maybe mind games to be second team until you can strike effectively
not like we got 1 day lineages but the cities would get lost anyway if we cant get back, so this is another issue
if  the eve spiral would set 4 eves in medium distances and all other closeby then people need some sort of ouposts to fight and remaking them each time would be hard so not sure when would fights like this even reset, and you can only have a good competition if we got an end and a winner

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#53 2019-05-08 07:58:07

breezeknight

there are no towns in game

there are dumps of scattered half working workplaces in game,
since the decay update it all went down, sped up by most of the updates & arrived now at the bottom of dysfunctional ugly sameness

*first - a town would be if it had a name, given by the founding Eve
*secondly - a town has to have a flow of productivity, i've seen so far NO SETTLEMENT with a good flow of work, people waste their one hour on the same boring tasks, like searching for a tool, running between workplaces, trying to escape the realisation of wasted one hour of their RL or just standing around waiting till someone else does something useful
*third - a town where you're born is a place where you belong, where is that in game ?, we have not even an urge of belonging to a family, a family founded by someone who is long forgotten, who you can look up on a website outside the gameplay, who didn't matter at all, who was never honored, there are not even bones left
*fourth - a town could be something that has an own inexchangeable culture, but where is that in the gameplay ? every "town" has the same stuff sprinkled in a slightly different way & maybe some discord orchestrated overachievers have build there some structures for others to "admire" & suffer through, but nothing that would gave the decendants any real benefit of being born there
*fifth - fences don't work, i can elaborate on that, but it would take too long here
*sixth - OHOL players don't care for each other as a rule, cause it doesn't matter if your mother dies, if you brother is committing suicide, if your aunt is an insulting egotist playing singleplayer middle in a multiplayer, if your granpa is murdered, if your sister was burried, if your cousin twice removed was building a road out of town or was griefing & murdering, in fact all those "family ties" are as superficial as it gets - nothing of those activities & family ties matters, if players say "it does", then it's their imagination, the game has NO FEATURES OR TOOLS which would enable a player to change their behaviour because it matters what becomes of their family, if players are nice & cooperative it's entirely on them, has nothing to do with the game & if a player is clever enough they will cease playing OHOL, because constructivity & even cooperation are not being rewarded in any way
*seventh - if there is no reward for being a useful member, if there is no sense of care for & belonging inside a town, inside a family, then any attempt to form an outside must fail
*eighth - one dump after another is no good place to live, it's useless hell, so why bother again ?

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-05-08 08:01:33)

#54 2019-05-08 09:09:42

saxo

DestinyCall wrote:

If you want people to care about their kids more than the neighboring village's kids, the solution is really simple.   Your children are your future ... literally.   

Change the lineage ban mechanic, so you are MORE likely to be born to your own descendents after a short cooldown.   This would allow you to return to the same village more reliably,  but only if you have kids or close relatives still alive there.   Keeping your lineage alive and helping the village remain sustainable would be more important because you can expect to return to that same village in a generation or two, if all goes well without you.   Ignoring your kids or prioritizing a different family over your own might compromise your lineage and reduce your chances of getting back before the village dies out entirely.

This is an excellent idea. It would instill an in-game reason to look after your own kids over your cousins' and those from other families. Although bonding over the parent child relationship happens initially, the effect wears off (for me at least) after having played the game for a while, leading to communal, impersonal nurseries. The main problem is that one hour is simply not long enough to form a meaningful human relationship such that you actually care about your offspring. Destiny's proposal here, and my less fleshed out suggestion elsewhere

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6292

could solve this by the reward of potentially being reborn to your household. To my mind this is much more tangible reward than a price pool or the current indication of lineage depth on the family tree.

In addition, it should be impossible to be reborn in a family except by direct descendents (children's children etc) of your most recent life in that family. In this way, if you don't have any successful children you cannot return. There is a bit of ambiguity about how this would work if you are born as a male; would it, simply, be impossibly to go back or could there be some way of marrying into having children. By way of anecdote, I got (conservatively) married once in game, moved into a property, and we had (surprisingly) many children, which was an interesting experience but all role play.

If a system like this were implemented, the outcome would undoubtedly be more competition within families, which I think would be a breath of fresh air. Properties would be a meaningful way of increasing the fitness (ability to survive and reproduce) of you immediate relatives -- leaving behind a house full of pies for your children would make it more likely that you can return.

#55 2019-05-08 10:30:41

Averest

I'd never get reborn back since most of my kids, for whatever reason and despite my best efforts, turn out to be griefers or just oddly beligerent. I might have one or two kids that have potential and for those I am incredibly grateful, but on the whole, I don't seem to have any luck in the kid department. Pretty much I'm a dead end. I'm grateful when I'm a guy because having kids in this game is like playing sociopath roulette.

#56 2019-05-08 11:14:08

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

What if there was a special weapon with no slow-down effect that you could only use on outsiders.  Call it the sword (keep the knife between friends---it's more close-range).

Interesting idea, but you'd have to implement an actual combat system. Currently, since everyone dies in one hit, if two people fight the person with the lower ping will win. If you added the Sword without some major combat changes it would just be frustrating.

jasonrohrer wrote:

People would build town walls for real reasons, and then trade with outsiders cautiously.

Currently there's no real reason to trade, you can just make the stuff yourself or take it from your town. If the other town has the item you want you probably don't have anything that would be worth trading.

Also, since anyone can pick up anything, there is no way to actually trade stuff.

#57 2019-05-08 12:08:26

Baker

No thanks, I don't want some griefer coming in and killing all girls within 5min of arriving in town.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#58 2019-05-08 12:09:46

Amon

There should be ways for splitting and diferentiating families.
You really are not the same family as the   Nth cousin once removed...
There should be marriage for alliances.
There should be better storage tech (see ll storage tech suggestions, there is a compilation on this forum) to help organise the messy clumps we call towns.
There should be better people transport and navigation.
Honestly we should get upgraded containers so we don't keep doing the same things over and over again in the clay bowls using skewers and round rocks. Mortars and pestles, iron bowls, porcelain plates, fermentation kegs...

Then we can start talking about the fun nitty gritty wars and intercomplex relations between people groups.
Bad foundations build bad buildings.

Last edited by Amon (2019-05-08 12:10:44)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#59 2019-05-08 12:54:31

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Not sure how tapping something with a rock once every two hours is labor intensive.

How did you get two hours? If I'm not mistaken, they need to be hit every half hour at most and 59 minutes at least.

My mistake.  It becomes rickety in 30 minutes, and you need to hit it every hour to keep it from falling.

So, once a lifetime, you run around and keep the fence alive.  I think the "labor" part of it might be that each piece of the fence is on a different timer, so you feel nervous about the part that just became rickety, so you check it constantly.

I could push it up to 1 hour until rickety, then one hour to fix it.

No.  Confused players don't need more encouragement to use something that doesn't work all that well (they'd still need maintainence... those sheep would probably get out without griefing, and any other use of property fences is griefing).  It would be better to remove property fences entirely.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#60 2019-05-08 12:59:18

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

If you want people to care about their kids more than the neighboring village's kids, the solution is really simple.   Your children are your future ... literally.   

Change the lineage ban mechanic, so you are MORE likely to be born to your own descendents after a short cooldown.   This would allow you to return to the same village more reliably,  but only if you have kids or close relatives still alive there.   Keeping your lineage alive and helping the village remain sustainable would be more important because you can expect to return to that same village in a generation or two, if all goes well without you.   Ignoring your kids or prioritizing a different family over your own might compromise your lineage and reduce your chances of getting back before the village dies out entirely. 

I realize you are trying to find reasons for players to care about our immediate family that avoid utilizing the multi-generational aspect of this game.   But why bother fighting against a core mechanic of your own game?   Players WANT to get back to previous towns to see what happened after they died.   They WANT to hear more of the stories that they started in past lives.  They WANT to be part of something bigger than a single life.  They WANT to leave behind a legacy that will be remembered.  Use that desire.  Harness it to fuel the stories you would like us to tell in OHOL.

Children are our legacy.   They are a link that spans between generations.   They are more important than our own life, because without children, there is no future.    And if having children and ensuring they survived could make the difference between losing everything you built to the sands of time or being given another chance to visit a place that you love ... you better believe people would care about their own children more than they do right now.

I find this well put, and spot on, except maybe the short cooldown part.  But if the cooldown is kind of small, I think it would probably still be pretty good.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-08 13:01:05)

Danish Clinch.

#61 2019-05-08 13:58:32

denriguez

Gah, I've said before that I've never really been into gaming, and certainly never to the extent that I've felt compelled to participate in a game's forums, but I just wanted to say that I love this game and the ideas it stirs up among its passionate playerbase. Y'all are terrific people and your minds are damn sexy.

LOVE these ideas:
-Different languages as a barrier to trade and an incentive for marriage/unions/alliances between families. In terms of how families eventually learn the outsider's language, maybe there's a craftable Rosetta stone item that requires two people to write their respective words for a number of items, and that speeds up the process of language learning for anyone who later picks up the Rosetta stone.

-Eliminating the lineage ban to incentivize *actually caring for* your own lineage. Everything said about this so far is spot-on. I don't really play often enough to experience multiple lives in a single day (or even a single week) so I might not get to experience the benefit all the time, but it's certainly a more compelling in-game reward than any kind of prize pool or leaderboard. I am, however, in favor of a longer cooldown for this; I'd probably go so far as to say you can only be reborn to your (great?) grandchildren.

-Marriage between clans as a mechanic for ensuring that males can be reborn to their lineage and for speeding up language learning. I'm not really in favor of exchanging items for marriage (crafted items of value are so easily lost in this game that it's almost not worth making them), but spoken vows that work like granting ownership of property gates would be cool. "I marry Hope Smith," "I marry Bob Bob IX."

Not really keen on the idea of an outsider-killing sword until there's sufficient incentive to organize warfare; otherwise, it's just another tool for griefers. And I don't see there being sufficient incentive until there's significant regional resource scarcity and separate tech trees for different regions. It should be necessary to go to war with a town because we need what only they have, not just because we fear them.

#62 2019-05-08 14:09:34

Twisted

On the subject of languages, I think the way World of Warcraft does it would work nicely if you decide to implement them. There is a list of made up words, and everything that players say is parsed through that list and words are replaced with made up words of equal length.

For example, 'Welcome to Eve Town' would become something like 'Kaelsig ru Lon Odes'. This gives you a general idea of what the player might be trying to say, and it would definitely be easier that translating it into a real language.

#63 2019-05-08 14:50:14

voy178

Twisted wrote:

On the subject of languages, I think the way World of Warcraft does it would work nicely if you decide to implement them. There is a list of made up words, and everything that players say is parsed through that list and words are replaced with made up words of equal length.

For example, 'Welcome to Eve Town' would become something like 'Kaelsig ru Lon Odes'. This gives you a general idea of what the player might be trying to say, and it would definitely be easier that translating it into a real language.

Except you could just make spelling errors to circumvent this. We already do this in the game with abbreviations when we're too young to make sentences.

#64 2019-05-08 15:25:33

Twisted

voy178 wrote:
Twisted wrote:

Except you could just make spelling errors to circumvent this. We already do this in the game with abbreviations when we're too young to make sentences.

I don't see how spelling errors would circumvent this? It would still be indistinguishable to the other person.

#65 2019-05-08 16:01:14

CatX

Twisted wrote:

I don't see how spelling errors would circumvent this? It would still be indistinguishable to the other person.

Weelcome too Eeve toown!

(The parser wouldn't recognize the words, so they would be readable to the other player.)

Last edited by CatX (2019-05-08 16:02:11)

#66 2019-05-08 16:05:35

Twisted

CatX wrote:
Twisted wrote:

Weelcome too Eeve toown!

(The parser wouldn't recognize the words, so they would be readable to the other player.)

I think you misunderstood me, the parser doesn't look at words, it just looks at word length.

"Weelcome too Eeve toown!" is 8 letters + 3 letters + 4 letters + 5 letters, so it would become something like "Thorniss mod Veld Nagan!"

#67 2019-05-08 16:51:40

CatX

Twisted wrote:

"Weelcome too Eeve toown!" is 8 letters + 3 letters + 4 letters + 5 letters, so it would become something like "Thorniss mod Veld Nagan!"

Interesting.
Then how does learning new languages work?

#68 2019-05-08 17:18:13

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I realize you are trying to find reasons for players to care about our immediate family that avoid utilizing the multi-generational aspect of this game.   But why bother fighting against a core mechanic of your own game?   Players WANT to get back to previous towns to see what happened after they died.   They WANT to hear more of the stories that they started in past lives.  They WANT to be part of something bigger than a single life.  They WANT to leave behind a legacy that will be remembered.  Use that desire.  Harness it to fuel the stories you would like us to tell in OHOL.

Children are our legacy.   They are a link that spans between generations.   They are more important than our own life, because without children, there is no future.    And if having children and ensuring they survived could make the difference between losing everything you built to the sands of time or being given another chance to visit a place that you love ... you better believe people would care about their own children more than they do right now.

I find this well put, and spot on, except maybe the short cooldown part.  But if the cooldown is kind of small, I think it would probably still be pretty good.

I feel like there needs to be some kind of a cooldown to prevent someone being born back to the same village immediately upon death.   You should be gone from the village for at least one generation (or longer) to allow other people to have an impact before you are allowed to return.      Personally, I think 30 minutes to one hour in REAL TIME (not time played in the game) would be appropriate.   The way I see this working is that the game would track lineages where you have lived to adulthood.    If you die as an adult, the lineage ban kicks in and you are banned from that line for the next thirty minutes.    After that time, the ban lifts and now that past lineage has highest priority.  If there is a fertile woman who is your direct descendant, you will be born to her, rather than to a mother from a different line.   Obviously, you won't always be able to get back to the same village.  Sometimes all the women will be too old, too young, or too recently given birth during the few seconds when you are looking for a mother.  And if you play many lives, you will end up spending time in more villages and might have multiple active lineages, so the odds of getting back to the exact same one every time are reduced.   However, you will be more likely to find yourself in a familiar place, rather than a completely random village.    And if you try to improve the village and ensure the survival of your own children, then you will also be strengthening your ability to return at some point in the future. 

I'd also point out that the lineage ban for /die and for murder should remain the same or be even longer so that you can stop a griefer from returning to your village by killing him.  And so that it is even more important to save good people who are randomly stabbed.

#69 2019-05-08 17:40:22

Jk Howling

Tarr wrote:

That's incredibly silly and a terrible idea. I'd prefer if people spoke different languages based off skin tone (this removes group eves from not being able to communicate) while removing genetically different skin type mutations. Allow males from different skin tone families to marry into other cultures and then the mother can produce off color babies. These babies would either be like the mother or father and would just inherit the ability to speak to both while maybe mom and dad have to spend some time around each other to slowly develop understanding of each other.

Marriage gets added from this solution which tons of people have wanted forever, fathers get added which is another win in my book, and Jason ends up having to finish off the ginger models + african models so they can have true lineages. You would (almost) always know an outsider from a distance due to them specifically being a different player model type (unless they got lucky) which means it's very clear when an outsider enters the village. The only real cons I can see is players using this as a means to "roleplay" racism which is frankly sad.

Late to the party but I wholeheartedly support and genuinely love this idea. It adds another cultural dynamic to the game, bringss in something that players have been asking for since even the early days, and we get new models!

Perhaps there could be an added dynamic that also cycles through each skin tone whenever an eve spawns as well, so no two eves spawn consecutively with the same skin tone. This would ensure that the nearest eves would be a different skin tone and thus a different culture, further adding to that cultural dynamic- and works nicely if Jason decides to push families closer together, as he's discussed before. All the more better if more skin tones are added, which he also had planned at some point iirc.

-Has ascended to better games-

#70 2019-05-08 17:43:17

Twisted

CatX wrote:
Twisted wrote:

Interesting.
Then how does learning new languages work?

Perhaps you get a % chance to see the actual word instead of the replacement word as your knowledge of the language increases, from 0% to 100% depending on your knowledge of the language.

#71 2019-05-08 18:08:10

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I feel like there needs to be some kind of a cooldown to prevent someone being born back to the same village immediately upon death.   You should be gone from the village for at least one generation (or longer) to allow other people to have an impact before you are allowed to return.      Personally, I think 30 minutes to one hour in REAL TIME (not time played in the game) would be appropriate.   The way I see this working is that the game would track lineages where you have lived to adulthood.    If you die as an adult, the lineage ban kicks in and you are banned from that line for the next thirty minutes.    After that time, the ban lifts and now that past lineage has highest priority.  If there is a fertile woman who is your direct descendant, you will be born to her, rather than to a mother from a different line.   Obviously, you won't always be able to get back to the same village.  Sometimes all the women will be too old, too young, or too recently given birth during the few seconds when you are looking for a mother.  And if you play many lives, you will end up spending time in more villages and might have multiple active lineages, so the odds of getting back to the exact same one every time are reduced.   However, you will be more likely to find yourself in a familiar place, rather than a completely random village.    And if you try to improve the village and ensure the survival of your own children, then you will also be strengthening your ability to return at some point in the future. 

I'd also point out that the lineage ban for /die and for murder should remain the same or be even longer so that you can stop a griefer from returning to your village by killing him.  And so that it is even more important to save good people who are randomly stabbed.

I'm inclined to think that 30 minutes is better than 1 hour.  The longer the ban time the less probable that your family exists, and the less likely players will care about their lineages, so a short enough time like 30 minutes (or maybe even 20?) sounds about right.  I agree with the part about murder, and I think everything else you propose.

Danish Clinch.

#72 2019-05-08 18:28:36

Solbusaur

Baker wrote:

No thanks, I don't want some griefer coming in and killing all girls within 5min of arriving in town.

I doubt that would actually happened if the town was armed. And it would definitely be armed if there was a bell to attract the griefers in the first place

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#73 2019-05-09 00:38:26

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

ʻAʻole hiki ke hoʻomaopopo i kēia'ōlelo,ʻo ia?

Wow... what I meant to say there was really lost in translation.  Try translating it back....

I was going to ask a coworker that speaks pigeon to translate that, but I was afraid it might have been something that would make him chokeslam me haha.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#74 2019-05-11 01:33:07

Jk Howling

tfw actually added. joy.

-Has ascended to better games-

#75 2019-06-01 13:12:34

Spoonwood

This post comes as interesting to read in retrospect.  Unfortunately, it looks like I wasn't exaggerating when I used 'xenophobia' here and plenty of people accurately predicted how it would lead to other serious issues like murderous rampages, which from what I hear, came to pass.

Alright, so let's do something as requested:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Clear statements of problems that you have encountered.  I don't need to hear dozens of solutions.  I need to understand the problem.

Oh wait.  NO ONE could have done that at the time, because the proposed changes didn't exist, and thus there weren't problems that we *had* encountered.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-01 13:13:18)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer