One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-07 19:34:50

wio

Idea: Energy costs for labor-intensive actions

The idea here is very simple. I was thinking about how easy it is to turn a Bowl of Wheat into a Bowl of Flour. Because it is so easy, it makes creating a mill or some sort of grinding machine pointless. One solution would be requiring the player to pay a time cost on a transition, such that they can't control their character until the transition is done. The problem with this solution is that time costs are annoying and there would be a lot of whining if there wasn't some means of canceling a transition, which would complicate things further. I think a simpler solution is to just have an upfront energy cost for certain transitions, which only happen if the player has enough food pips.

There are a lot of interesting consequences of such a feature.

1. Wrong tool for the job situations: this means people would be given more options to accomplish the same task, but some options waste food.

2. Deeper tiering: this goes back to the rock vs mill example. Rather than needing a mill to create flour, it could just be a more energy efficient method of getting it.

3. Food mechanics: eating could be implemented through transitions, by having negative food costs.

To be honest, I believe the reason that tech in this game is so bizarre is because tiering is binary. The only way to motivate a tool or structure is for it to create something its predecessor couldn't create. The real reason we use better tech is because it is more convenient, not just because previous tech was incapable of doing the job.

Last edited by wio (2019-05-07 19:36:03)

#2 2019-05-07 19:44:01

Dodge

Re: Idea: Energy costs for labor-intensive actions

Yeah having some actions cost food is not a bad idea.

It would put more stress on food and overall be more challenging.

Right now choping a big tree is as effortless as watering a bush.

You can just mass chop trees like you're cutting trough butter.

Having it cost time could be annoying, having an animation play that prevents you to move each time you do something would get really old really fast.

And you couldnt do those actions if you're starving. Cause too weak and also to prevent the player instantly dying after choping a tree for example.

Last edited by Dodge (2019-05-07 19:46:10)

#3 2019-05-07 19:47:52

Thaulos

Adding time to player based transition skunds like it has good potential. I like it.

#4 2019-05-07 20:29:52

wondible

I've always thought iron mining was weird. One swing of the pick, and then rest is just logistics of getting the iron home. (and finding it in the first place)

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#5 2019-05-15 02:25:50

wio

I would like to see more discussion on this idea. I'd be particularly interested in seeing Jason's take on it.

Board footer