One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-05 22:28:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

New idea for how to bring everyone together

Now that the natural spring thing is in place, it seems like a good thing to leverage for the "towns closer together" thing that I've been talking about for a while.

It's pretty obvious to me that springs need to spread out in a future update.  40 is way too close.  I think 400 would be better, or maybe even 1000.

Then, Eve could always spawn at one of these spring sites, but the CLOSEST spring site to 0,0 that hasn't been turned into a well yet.

I.e., this spring site is your new "someday" town center, and you need to bootstrap with pond water from a nearby swamp.

So, each spring site on the map is a potential town center, and Eves only move further out once all the more central ones have been occupied.

Maybe instead of closest to 0,0, it will be the next free spring site closest to recent birth locations.  So Eves won't be on a circle that gets bigger over time as the center gets exhausted, but instead on a "bulge" that grows in length over time, so they will be near each other, always.

Anyway, if you want to find a nearby town, you might navigate to nearby spring sites to look.  Or build roads along the fault lines (which people are already doing).

Towns would be far enough apart that people woudn't be able to easily continue projects across lives (they'd have to travel far).

Now, if a town exhausts their well before advancing water tech, what do they do?  They could migrate to a neighboring town, which is interesting.  But it would be impractical to cart water back.

But there won't currently be a conflict there, because people don't care about their own lines much more than other lines.  I'm still thinking about ways to change that.

People have been talking about contests.

One idea that came to mind was a "great great grandchildren leaderboard."  I'm looking for a way to measure trans-gen success that doesn't automatically favor Eve.  Measuring family tree depth or total size obviously favors Eve.

But measuring the size of the family tree immediately beneath you works at all levels, and also helps you care about your offspring in particular (over your nieces, for example).  So then it's not Eve families in conflict, but even sub families.  I've been feeling that myself more with the advent of property rights.  I figure out who my kids are, and build a spot for my personal family.

Anyway, maybe a leaderboard isn't enough... maybe there could be a running weekly prize pool or something.  Or maybe everyone interested in this game could chip in $1 per week to the prize pool, and then the person with the most great great grandchildren at the end of the week gets the pot.  Sorta like a fantasy football league (legal, because it's a game of skill).

#2 2019-05-05 22:37:13

antking:]#

Re: New idea for how to bring everyone together

well I still think that the springs should be 1200 tiles apart form each other
this means it would take 5 min to travel to spring A to spring B

and also encourage the building of higher teck for transportation

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#3 2019-05-06 00:17:07

The_Anabaptist

I like what you are proposing.  I don't think I would want the near certainty that going straight in a cardinal direction will allow me to find another town however.  It would be nice if there was a little wiggle room variance in the spring placement.

I actually don't think carting water is all that difficult.  I had to do this for a town a couple weeks ago.  A cart with four buckets and a bowl in my backpack and I could drain the swamp and keep the town alive quite easily.  I think it would make for an awesome meta if enough people started doing it.

The_Anabaptist

#4 2019-05-06 00:38:46

BladeWoods

One problem I see is that not every site is a potential town just because there's a spring there. There's still other things you need like plenty of branches, nearby clay, at least nearish rabbits, don't want a bunch of arctic or desert around you, etc. If springs are 1000 tiles apart an eve is pretty screwed if they spawn at a bad site. And maybe they manage to travel 1000 tiles to the next one, but the next one is bad too. 400 tiles apart isn't much better. I don't think they should be much further apart than they are now.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-05-06 03:21:55)

#5 2019-05-06 00:44:01

futurebird

I like the leader board idea. Most great grand kids... or something like that.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-05-06 00:59:59

Tarr
Banned

Seems fine but as others have said not every spring is a potential town site. You still need early ponds if you want to be able to farm so the only potential town sites are swamp/grasslands that appear on any of the fault lines. So we still suffer from searching for the "perfect" home but now we've added following springs in an attempt to find where one of these intersections meet with a livable biome mix.

Having to walk like five minutes in a direction in hopes of finding a usable spring (one in the correct biome with correct resources around) seems a tad bit annoying. Add in the fact you could potentially fail to find a livable area twice in one life and just spend ten minutes walking as Eve just seems like it would lead to more Eve suicides in hopes of just finding a good spring on birth instead of exploring the area.

1k is too far just by nature of having to search multiple springs for a good biome mix. 500 is a little more reasonable but you're still likely to just see suicide Eves due to bad spring locations.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-05-06 01:01:40

Spoonwood

I don't agree that springs should be farther apart.  I've played several bigserver2 families with the new water system (I've refused to play families living on old wells/pumps) and towns have more problems now.  The bushes look greyer, and cooking pies by the oven seems to happen less.  Before an experienced player might just jump in and start cooking or do the bushes, but now with more water pressure that needs handled, it's not so clear as to what ends the best thing to do.   I've seen two families with exhausted deep wells.  Towns don't just use the spring after a while.  Someone on the discord has commented that having a lot of ponds ends up even more important than before.  The most advanced town I saw had a lot of close ponds and someone storing water in water pouches in baskets.  I do NOT think that the majority of families have enough to live off of a single spring and ponds on bigserver2.

People should have the ability to easily continue their projects across lives.  Are you so narrow and arrogant in your vision that you can't hear what many people have talked about or requested Jason?  Many people have wanted to get reborn in the same spot.  Tarr once rhetorically asked me on discord 'why would you care about your family when you'll never see that place again?'  Some projects also don't get done.  And going in with a fixed project in mind often isn't the best call for people taking on large projects like getting the water system up to the best point.  It leads to people rushing things and consequently doing things inefficiently, or not doing things that might get better taken care of first.

Lastly, are you building property fences on bigserver2 Jason?  Well, if so, you are NOT contributing to your family's survival.  You may not know, but you simply are not helping them to survive as long as they can.  Even if you milkweed farm, you could get more done in that respect if you abstained from the property fence.  Simply put, property fences are only built by idiots or griefers.  Since I don't believe you're an idiot Jason, so if you're building property fences on bigserver2 you are griefing and should get cursed to donkey town immediately.  If you just program yourself out of donkeytown, well that's simply playing by a different rulebook than everyone else and simply won't lead you to understanding how the game works WITH interpersonal dynamics in play.

Edit: And to talk about springs being 40 tiles away is misleading.  It doesn't work that way, because springs don't appear in all biomes.  You might not have a spring in say a grassland with a significant vertical structure.  40 tiles is the MINIMUM that springs can lie apart from each other.  If it's not 40, it's a multiple of 40, such as 80 tiles or 120 tiles.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-06 01:05:03)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-05-06 01:57:50

Bob 101

So we could have trade since Eves can't always choose the same kinds of spots.

I think that returning to towns is a good motivation to have advanced transport like cars and planes.

I honestly don't think we could advance to modern or future Era without knowledgeable players returning to towns.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-06 02:10:01)

#9 2019-05-06 03:35:27

pein

lot of people don't go 50 tiles from a city

i seen two connected springs made into wells and people used only the first one
which was rather weird, maybe a well was there from previous update cause we had two but i was sure the top one was new cause was on the grid

towns will be more likely spread and we need more people to keep 6 springs running for example
that's already 40x80 area which is quite big for new players

when it doesn't depend on you the competition isn't that good, sure, i would like competign a bit, just for the sake of it, a leaderboard is good idea
but if you want prizes it needs to be balanced
we can still hop on discord and tell the family name and hat they need to suicide until they get into that lineage
or people would grief everyone else for the sake of real money

you need to encourage some group mechanic, that's for sure, but family is still quite random
maybe some genetics? instead of curses have some avoidance system
i discovered some people who i cannot work with, and if my kids are from a pool that is more to my liking than it makes more sense

the magic number seems to be 9
that's how many generations people die out after me
generally cause the compost i make runs out and they too bored or dunno, that's like 3 hours, if i get back in 3 hours i find towns in worst shape than i left it, the only exception when i focus on tidy up, like boards around roads, the earlier i done it, the nicer it was looking later
but even small groups can do huge advancements, it's not like people are gonna be an advantage
and while i got zero kids as male, i can do 3x amount of work sometimes

what about limiting eve number?
people could spawn as adams and help out Eves, maybe get a horse or something and revive the families

but some kind of score system just to try out would be good
just don't make it count that much until is balanced

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-05-06 04:08:58

futurebird

Hm... for the genetics and working together what if when your kids live past 30 you are more likely to get that person as a kid or be their kid. If your kid /die that counts and nothing. If there is a murder or they die young you aren't as likely to be in the same line?

A kind of overlay steering people together?

To avoid this just putting all of the more experienced players together this would not kick in until you have played X hours or lived X times to 60...

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#11 2019-05-06 04:38:19

Sukallinen

pein wrote:

instead of curses have some avoidance system
i discovered some people who i cannot work with, and if my kids are from a pool that is more to my liking than it makes more sense

Maybe one bless per lifetime gives you "friend" you are more likely to birth to next life ? I mean, mechanics for curse is already there and not breaking it, one bless per two hours of not cursing ? So by time played you'd be more likely to play with friends (not much, and every now and then random of course or discord-pals would work forever w/o interaction) and also enjoy more, though elitist groups would inevitably form (that's only very small% and area-denial in place).

Also, grid mechanics does allow trade now, make every fifth or so grid points have special resource they can mine with newcomen bore aimed down there, now they know where to go with stuff to trade - a mission to instigate trade/war between places. Obviously not 40 or 80 tiles away it'd be continuous bloodshed...

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-05-06 04:40:33)

#12 2019-05-06 04:44:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, there are obviously too many ponds now, because that got increased with the other map fix.  I'll be adjusting this stuff this week, and also working on a way to ensure that the pump wells don't run out too early.

The idea with the Eve spawn is that you'd kinda have to take what you get.  If your spring isn't in a great place (near ponds), you may have to remember it for later, and have an oral tradition about where it is.  Not sure about the branches and other needs, but I do like the idea of temporary "bootstrapping outposts" until we finally move back to the real, long-term town site in a few generations.  Bring your bowls with you.  Plant some maple trees for branches.

So, yeah, I would put them far enough apart where Eve migrating to another one just wouldn't be practical.  And furthermore, the "reject" spring sites will remain in the pool of Eve spawn spots forever, until someone finally settles there.

I do want Eve thinking about what the town will be needing in three generations.

#13 2019-05-06 04:57:02

InSpace

Why would anyone pay a dollar for the eve player with most kids? That sounds dumb

#14 2019-05-06 05:04:21

InSpace

If the eve with the most great grandkids got the money, it would create clans where they would kill all but their own family and then share the money. Murder griefing for real money yay

#15 2019-05-06 05:29:12

Dodge

Making towns closer will definitly make things more interesting than currently.

But if they are still forced to die out because of the game system and not because of players mistakes, then we will end up with a bunch of dead towns with a few live ones every now and then. https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/270

Making the eve spawn not go into infinity could be a solution too, but then new eves could end up in already established towns and that would be too easy for a start. Maybe there could be a limited number of eve's per week?

jasonrohrer wrote:

Towns would be far enough apart that people woudn't be able to easily continue projects across lives (they'd have to travel far).

What if the map (ban area) was divided into regions?

For example region A would be a 2-3k radius with multiple towns and lineages in it, they could interact with each other trade etc, but region B would be so far apart that it would be unreachable to continue a project.

Fertility would be balanced between the towns in the same region so they dont compete with each other (they could still compete with other regions).

When you get banned from region A you cant go back to any towns of that region until the ban is lifted, this would allow to have towns close to each other that can interact but not being able to be born in another town and travel to continue a project.

jasonrohrer wrote:

because people don't care about their own lines much more than other lines.  I'm still thinking about ways to change that.

Yeah usually you dont care about a specific line unless you're the Eve that started it, for towns it's different since you can contribute to building and shaping it.

What if there was some way that if you care about a line it actually changes something the next time you go back in that lineage?

I was thinking something genetic or knowledge related where you can actually build a line the same way you could build a town and make it better than another town.

I posted about this in another thread:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 844#p55844
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 850#p55850
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 856#p55856
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 063#p56063
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 087#p56087

There could be a personnal level of skill and a group level of skill that affects the whole lineage, basically the more you do things (craft and maybe some other factors) the better you get in that life but it would also affect the whole lineage, for example you become a master at smithing in this life and the skill from the whole lineage gets better from it, like passing down knowledge.

There could even be specialized lineages where everyone is expert farmer and they would trade ropes for the other village that is expert tailor.

And like a town if you dont maintain it, it slowly decays, so if a few generation gets lazy they slowly lose that knowledge.

jasonrohrer wrote:

But there won't currently be a conflict there

There could be conflict with scarcity of ressources and over time, but only if the towns survive long enough and the important ressources are not too abundant.

edit: There could be a leaderboard for most crafted *something* by a person in one life.

Last edited by Dodge (2019-05-06 05:33:01)

#16 2019-05-06 06:21:00

Sukallinen

Dodge wrote:

For example region A would be a 2-3k radius with multiple towns and lineages in it, they could interact with each other trade etc, but region B would be so far apart that it would be unreachable to continue a project.

Won't it be same as now, ppl die under 30 (I think) just to be able to be born to same area (continue project), and try it until they do get reborn there ?

I've not seen a graph of spawns of specific ppl after /die, it would give nice information... Like, how many lived 20-30, died below 10 until born near 100 tiles of their death, and how many times for example.

#17 2019-05-06 06:31:33

Dodge

Sukallinen wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Won't it be same as now, ppl die under 30 (I think) just to be able to be born to same area (continue project), and try it until they do get reborn there ?

I've not seen a graph of spawns of specific ppl after /die, it would give nice information... Like, how many lived 20-30, died below 10 until born near 100 tiles of their death, and how many times for example.

I dont think a lot of people do that.

But even if it's the case then the ban could be lowered to 15 minutes lived in the same area as long as the lift for ban is based on server running time and not play time it wont kill towns artificially. If it was based on server time the ban could even be extended to 3-4 hours without murder and 7-8 with murder and towns should still be fine and you wouldnt be able to continue your project until the ban is lifted at which point your project would be over anyway.

The point of having regions is to allow towns close together but without being able to respawn close and continue a project.

#18 2019-05-06 09:48:42

Twisted

I think having well sites within walking distance makes for interesting gameplay. You have your town well, and you have other wells on the outskirts that people will carry water from if necessary. Keep in mind that not all well sites have natural springs. In the last town I played we had the main town well that went from full shallow to empty deep within my lifetime. The north and south locations didn't have springs as they were arctic/desert, but I did turn the west/east springs into wells and I carried water to my town to keep us alive. We didn't have enough iron to make a newcomen yet (I was generation 4), so the adjacent wells saved us.

I think changing the well distance to 1000 tiles is way way way too drastic of a change. Most well sites are not viable town locations as they lack other resources. Changing the well distance to 1000 tiles would mean that towns would be at least ~5000 tiles apart.

I also dislike the idea of Eves spawning at natural springs, especially if they're very far apart. Since most well sites are not viable town locations you'll just have to kill yourself anytime you get a bad spawn (which will happen most of the time).

Please, Jason, don't make drastic kneejerk changes such as changing the well grid to 1000 tiles. Give it a few days to see how the current distance pans out. There is a big difference between using VoG to take a look at the towns and see that they are using more than one well, and actually playing the game.

#19 2019-05-06 11:03:03

pein

i dont't exactly agree that increasing distances will do any good
we would need a testing on that on clean slate so you should reduce the apocalypse difficulty each time with biome changes for that week
we need a wipe right now to see what people will do with the new system
so far my experience is that people are confused with the new ponds, also a message in the client if anyone missing your email

but the grid system reminds me of GO
where you place white and black stones in order to capture territories
now two points are just a line, and the grid is missing in places
what about adding something on gridlock in all spots, even if not water?
a slow regenerating iron mine for example (still i believe water on badlands is good)
but what about buffing those ice and desert spots?
the obvious would be fixed tarry spots too, but maybe that's too much
ice could have some natural gas or coal mine
while desert could have big rocks and flat rocks

in order to increase distances, you need to allow better transport and more resources, people already struggle with the scavenging part
most people live a life in same spot and wont leave, wont work unless is crucial and easy to understand the reason

in a perfect grid we could have a system where people can own parcels of the territory
two is a line, and three is maybe a triangle, but four is already a plot that people  can own
in order to capture, the family needs to set up something that only they can interact with
and in order to keep it, they need something that is hard to accomplish
so in order that population matter, should be some sort of team based ownership which is faster with each person you add to it

if an eve chooses a spot with a spring (or the other people from lineage), can have rights to control one single spot. this also same with area ban
200 means  a grid of 10x10 spots around the center
now to extend the village, you need to acquire each spot around it, by building a well on it, then some other structure which grants you ownership of it for a certain time period
after the time passed, the families can have some sort of competition for ownership, each person could have an unique item placed on one of the spots and that would push out the city borders to it granting points

now it's hard to imagine a force field, but what about a wall around a city? still don't see how you prevent other family from living with you if they can access everything what is not locked
or maybe a majority system?
each person gets a vote and can vote o who to own the spot
it grants points to the family which could be spent on something

other families could pay to live inside but if they got to provide counter value (their votes and then some resources)
for example Pie family could own 4 springs so the inside box is theirs. If Jo family wants to live inside it, their points will be used up.
If they fail to pay, they will get some punishment (the screen turns red and their food bars go down faster) not sure on this
they can make up for the rest of the points by doing tasks for the other family
for example bringing resources from outside spots to the spring spot deposits as offerings

the further fro mthe chosen eve spot, the more resources needed to expand. But an ability to make an outpost territory which cost one time points or resources for a family, giving a covered wagon which dismantles somewhere near a spring and gives a new city outpost status

something i seen in Sins of solar empire, that you had to increase influence to push out the borders
sure war and culture was both an option

the grid system could be converted in a territory system with each grid corner in place

but i think we are low on resources for such a thing, like we could build a wall around 40x40, but that's already 160 wall pieces
if the wall already preset if you control 4 springs, maybe you got to upgrade it, then that's a good game feature and mostly realistic
cause when you can steal all the resources from others, no trade or war will happen

cause this speculations of yours are based on momentary snapshots on the game
sure, some cities had roads and buildings, but those are made by a few players
i see people who don't get firewood, don't take out bones, don't do anything but stand around, talk, and lift their clothes on and off
and you need to calculate with the civilians too

in most cities people paid taxes, we also pay rent in our lives
we need to earn our position within the ranks
you want leaders? we need a system which allows leaders
or subjective choices will come instead of real strategic solutions
they gave a crown to a newbee and told him that he is a king
he was  confused on what he should do or order people to do cause he wasn't sure himself
now some subjective preference is good
but what if each action you take counts, and it's not necessary to be too productive
but if you don't do it, you need to leave the cities?

for example a storage which holds firewood
each person needs to bring firewood for their own family to meet a quota (each female can take of her kids and the kids to contribute)
the ones who meet quota, get some bonus, the ones who don't, get some minimal punishment
here comes the question of male players
they could be a protector of a female and her kids and contribute to that branch
each branch would have o provide services to the town

now i would limit the Eve number to balance out the fights.
What if all red families could be same team, multiple Eves as a nation. They could trade  and contribute to same cities. but the Blue team could only have war with them?
Each branch or family could vote their leaders in red team but cant live together with Blue team members?

Lets say 8 color teams in the world at all times, maximum
The weakest teams would get more Eves to join to help their fight, creating a system where standing on team battle would need cooperation within teams. You would see your team supreme, but first and foremost your family.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2019-05-06 11:53:08

Sukallinen

I was in a town with veteran or two just now, so stone road south (there was directly spring) and one east.
West we had one hot water spring, and why veteran players were there ? Because three newcomen sitting there (we did have iron etc for those and more).

I suggest when making changes (large like this) let players first get hands-on how to deal with it. Make another kind of change next week, move fixing this trouble to next week (if then there is trouble or players have adjusted) ! This isn't end of the world-kind of bug now, we can live with this and no quick-fixes needed.

Main thing to remember in players suggested changes above is the one hour limit. Thus by "attrition" by pein it'd be ok, but if I have to negotiate WHAT to donate it's a big no-no, time away from my gaming. Maybe add to that idea: the donation areas are expandable, so left is firewood (1 pts) next one is string (2 pts) next one is iron (3 pts) etc... Maybe let every village "leader" (say, most blesses or closest to started fam line) set prices every ten minutes or such (oh if griever gets this position-oh irl some do!).

For factions, i.e. your kin who "owns" town (IDK how? claim by setting up flag on spring-one more step...) the points would mean different thing than other families. So other families going to war would first gather points so less attrition or they could scout/gather resources etc without attrition having personal points. For kin it would mean (for example suggested small food-usage-reduction bonus when in the land).

These points ofc transferrable, hence marriage or such arrangements. No automatic transferrals unless player says so ("mary li inherits")

#21 2019-05-06 12:19:43

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, yeah, I would put them far enough apart where Eve migrating to another one just wouldn't be practical.  And furthermore, the "reject" spring sites will remain in the pool of Eve spawn spots forever, until someone finally settles there.

I do want Eve thinking about what the town will be needing in three generations.

I mean if this is the case doesn't this just support towns going out to grief the other nearby springs? If no one can dig it up that means Eves will spawn closer to the city while being within walking distance. Any sort of good town would have legit rejects (badlands, bad biome mix, etc) plus these ruined springs for the sole purpose of redirecting the Eve to town instead of trying to set up a second close town.

The biggest thing is if Eve is "forced" to take the hand she is dealt doesn't that mean she isn't thinking about future generations? Trying to set up in a bad spot hurts the future generations chances and will increase suicides. Why try to fix a bad biome when another Eve has a real biome? At best you see some terrible camps get put up and fail trying to work with what they get and at worst the players start ruining springs to work out a map or some sort of signpost system.

fug it’s Tarr.

#22 2019-05-06 13:12:17

Sukallinen

Fast way to get towns to connect (trade war maybe, and other things) is a paper to be able to be added to straight shaft+plank (or whatever). This could point in eight directions, be basically "paper"(having short text) and could be cut to kindling with an axe. Computer code is there for paper, why not make copy of that, add 8 directions and how to make it ? Even newbies would understand direction and distance !

So I'd put one saying: 8 screens to next sign and fence
Next tile to it: after four signs NNNNW is divatown (so that's I think four times eight screens up, one time eight screen left).

So, when I find early hot spring/oil/whatever I could leave town other than a paper/verbal saying where it is. Grievers could grieve etc np... BUT I could use that sign, hopefully mouseover while walking past that sign - I don't stop to read scraps of paper for the one hour life !!!

Let grievers grieve, leave mis-posts to robber caves. Writing is such a great tool in Human Toolbox I'd like to see it used.

Current signposts are elite stuff, there is no denying it.

#23 2019-05-06 14:22:29

Booklat1

I mean, not only towns should be closer but we need better means of transportation. Horses are fine but carrying passengers/extra storage is needed for any big migration event to be possible.

I think town mechanics are a needed feature you should work on but maybe do biome changes first? Not only to avoid extra spawn reworks but to ensure there is diversity among towns close to another.

#24 2019-05-06 15:09:06

Thaulos

Mind you that wells are NOT too close right now. We have a shortage of water and not enough people know newcomen and oil/engine technologies.

Right now every town is a rush in terms of technology which kind of sucks.

We could use a lesser exhaust % on the newcomen pump and more usages overall for each stage of the wells since we now only have one.

We literally don't have the time to go from newcomen pump to engine before it runs out. Oil, engine, accessories and associated infrastructure take way too much work and iron to make. This needs urgent balancing. Just increasing the average water on each stage to double and possibly four or eight times on the newcomen pump stage would probably be enough.

#25 2019-05-06 16:12:03

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, there are obviously too many ponds now, because that got increased with the other map fix.  I'll be adjusting this stuff this week, and also working on a way to ensure that the pump wells don't run out too early.

There's a post about no water here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6278  There's another here where people say that people still have to settle on ponds: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6280  I did NOT quit on the Pepper family that decided to farm without a single pond in sight.  I'm not saying that I couldn't handle fewer ponds myself... I've spent lives wandering between towns sometimes leaving at a young age just carrying a berry in hand and eating wild food and trying to get some clothing along the way, but whether surviving to 60 comes as possible doesn't bear on whether a town can get built in a location.  Enough players I think are experiencing problems with the water situation as it stands right now... and probably well over the majority of the players (even those who still feel fine on food are probably now rushing water technology if they weren't before).  I don't blame them, and I think the new water system is challenging enough.  Some things I don't think clear yet, because a fair number of families just resettled towns with well clusters built before the new water system.  Consequently, I think you're being unduly arrogant in saying that 'there are obviously too many ponds now' AND I also think that ponds should not get changed in quantity.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-06 16:37:12)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer