One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-25 08:21:06

BladeWoods

I tried being a policeman

Thought I'd give it a try, this happened in the Milk family
Was lucky enough to get a blue dyed bowler hat, a blue dyed wool sweater, and a backpack. Then smithed a knife. Blue dyed pants would've been nice but it was enough without.

Would just patrol around the town watching everyone and announcing that I was the police, basically doing nothing. I'm so used to doing a truckload of work that it felt very weird.
There was only a single griefer in my life. A girl stealing baskets of pie, after a warning I killed her. Rather uneventful police life, weirdly was hoping for more griefing, so it was kinda boring but kinda nice job at the same time to just watch everyone and interact here and there.

In old age I passed on my uniform and job to my good daughter Gray who seemed enthusiastic about becoming the police.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-04-25 09:18:12)

#2 2019-04-25 09:00:00

breezeknight

Re: I tried being a policeman

finally some positive report about that job
cause all police or guard people i encountered ended up with killing someone just out of boredom

we really need a blessing system in game
maybe with the reward, i think futurebird suggested, where it becomes apparent by some halo or token next to name that a player behind the current character was blessed several times & is therefore trustworthy & not just some random scumbag bragging about how he's a protector but likes just roleplay without any experience & will end up causing trouble instead

also handing down a job or knife or a backpack becomes slowly a regular thing in OHOL, i think
a tradition
OHOL needs traditions

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-25 09:01:42)

#3 2019-04-25 09:17:12

BladeWoods

You've encountered a lot of police before? I never have.

#4 2019-04-25 09:27:38

breezeknight

i played by now about 1000 hours, i encountered lots of stuff big_smile

yeah, i see police or guards now & then
it's not that seldom
i usually go hunt boars with bow & arrow
but afaik, if someone is running with bow & arrow middle in town, it ends badly in 90% of cases, either on purpose or by accident

but i am not at all against police or guards
it's just a little boring job, same as being nurse/doctor
but guarding means having a weapon, which means you're potentially deadly

maybe we should put both jobs together
guard & nurse ?
means knife in apron, pie & arrow in backpack, bow in hand
plus needle & thread, pads in a bowl, all placed near a center of town, so that everybody finds it quick if needed

i think atm jobs start to form in OHOL
& that's a good thing
it's a sign of actual civilization

- - -

#5 2019-04-25 11:56:55

Amon

I did have a rather interesting life as a policeman once.

I think the best usages for policemen should be drilled into people. Only people trusted should be recruited.
A policeman should be patrolling the same area and be watchful of every person.
Some good key locations to patrol where murders and or griefing in town happen is the sheep pen, nursery/kitchen.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2019-04-25 13:58:04

DestinyCall

Personally, I think that too often the role of "town guard" is an excuse to just  slack off.   Running around town with a drawn weapon, yelling threats at people, and getting in the way.     I'm reminded of the guards in Skyrim ... "I use to be an adventurer like you once, but then I took an arrow in the knee...." 

The best town guards are the ones that you never even notice.   They keep a knife in their pack and work at jobs that move them around the village, like carter or lumberjack or stew maker.   The key difference between this kind of "town guard" and a random guy with a knife in his pack is that to be a guard, you must be aware of your surroundings and alert to what other people in the village are doing.   Pay attention to names and occupations.  What is your cousin Jenny doing with that bow in the middle of town?   Ah I see, she's hunting geese in the nearby ponds.   What's Clyde doing with all of those bowls of carnitas at the edge of town?    Okay, he's setting up flat rocks and making some pork tacos.  That's fine.   What's little Billy doing with that blade blank?    Uh oh, he just made a lock and key.  Better watch that kid.

Being alert and aware of your surroundings.    Carrying a weapon or knowing where a weapon can be found.   Making sure that your town has access to medical supplies.   And doing something productive while you watch the town for signs of active griefing.    That's the best way to play the undercover policeman.    If you do your job well, no one will even know you were there ... like Batman.

#7 2019-04-25 14:21:15

Ari-ori-412

I was the owner of the property the girl was trying to steal pies from lmao.

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#8 2019-04-25 20:06:44

JimothyFields
New User

Hi mom! It's me Gray! I passed on the policeman uniform to your grandson and he started setting up a little house for our line. There was no crime under my albeit short watch as I had to leave 30 minutes in. Hopefully David kept the town safe until he passed down the blue hat as well!

Board footer