One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-25 03:10:25

Toxic
Banned

GRIEFERS SHOULD BE BANNED!

On the forums I’ve heard a lot of talk about griefers and banning griefers. Even stylingirl who is a mod thinks griefers should be banned. If you need to start banning people that grief to make your game better it’s a sign that the game mechanics need to be changed. I wouldn’t mind if griefing was made harder because I like it as a challenge. It’s really not challenging anymore. Maybe do something to make griefing challenging.

Now about banning griefers of forums. This also is a dumb request because I post about griefing here. I am not hate speeching or harassing someone and am posting stuff about my life’s. If I killed a town in my life I have full freedom to post it here.

I’m just happy that Jason is a good down to earth dev. If he was like the majority of people out there he would be banning griefers easily. He understands the bigger picture, he is trying to make the game harder to grief instead of banning griefers. He supports all types of play styles. Even if his recent cursing change wasn’t the best to stop griefing he at least didn’t just ban me and tried to change the game to stop people like me. If I had never made that post I could’ve kept doing that to streamers. I know griefers like me are annoying but hopefully one day we will make the game better.

Respect, Jason

Last edited by Toxic (2019-04-25 03:10:41)

#2 2019-04-25 03:25:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: GRIEFERS SHOULD BE BANNED!

I remember at a local design meeting here in town, my designer friend Jared Johnson came up with a list of important player roles in a village:

--Farmer
--Baker
--Smith
--Builder
--Herder
--Cook
--Tool maker
--Hunter
--Trapper
--Griefer

#3 2019-04-25 03:28:24

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

I remember at a local design meeting here in town, my designer friend Jared Johnson came up with a list of important player roles in a village:

--Farmer
--Baker
--Smith
--Builder
--Herder
--Cook
--Tool maker
--Hunter
--Trapper
--Griefer

Tailor is missing. As a new found tailor I am hurt

Haha

Im usually also herding though when I get the cows for milk and yellow dye.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-04-25 03:54:10

futurebird

jasonrohrer wrote:

--Farmer
--Baker
--Smith
--Builder
--Herder
--Cook
--Tool maker
--Hunter
--Trapper
--Griefer

Looks like my signal to leave.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-04-25 04:30:26

futurebird

Drama has to happen, and it can be interesting. But if my experience today getting randomly killed for no reason multiple times is "how it's supposed to be" and not a wrinkle in a complex system with big drawbacks to trying to fix it I just feel like an idiot for putting up with it.

I think it's a bad look for a dev to say that towns need a griefer.
Are you going to scramble and work and try to help other people so that someone can have fun messing it all up as the dev planned it to be? Are you an NPC? I'm not. Find someone else to annoy to amuse yourself.

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-04-25 05:12:34

futurebird

Sorry for ranting. Ima take a break from the game and get less grouchy. I've had some great fun. Might do again. But IDK if I want to play if the game is "for" greifers rather than exploited by them from time to time.  And to be clear I'm not talking about any murder I'm talking about the tool hiding the killing with no reason, killing WITHOUT role play of any kind to make it a little interesting, the fact that today I was killed multiple times and there was no reason for it. I was just working a bit far from town maybe getting wood, or something then BAM arrow or knife. I would try to run back to the town but died before anyone knew why.  This is like getting disconnected from the server. It isn't fun, or drama or interesting, and no we don't "need" people who do this in the game. No it isn't a job every town should have.

In one case the griefer bragged about killing the whole town. In another I was a baby, my mom carried me to the edge of town and stabbed me. In another I was making a milkweed garden and hit with an arrow and they ran before I could even curse them.

I'm really sick of it.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-25 05:20:34)

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-04-25 06:00:58

pein

i like griefers, cause they shake up things, just why they got to be so coward and shit at duels?

like i want to go trough me, then kill the females, i don't mind if i die but at least have a nice duel where i feel a bit contested

i even liked the creativity of the pitbull breeder guy who is not a greifer, just helps eve camps
and i apprecieate people who go out and make their own bow, like why you are so lazy to steal mine and kill me with it?

lot of cases people call others griefers cause they don't do what they say
i think a good contest of skill is needed sometimes, and that could shut their mouth and make them learn their place

maybe we should have some non lethal way of fight, and capturing people
i appreciate the griefers who roleplay a bit, not just shit talk, but really into the bad guy talk, and give you a chance for the effect and drama

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-04-25 07:20:37

DestinyCall

I hope you guys are happy.  You broke Futurebird.   sad

#9 2019-04-25 07:56:31

Toxic
Banned

Dear futurebird

I understand that you are frustrated at people killing you. Those people however are not us they are random try hard raging kids who get pissed at everything. Now if you want to take a break from the game that is your desicion. I also took a brief break and now I’m back and have more fun then ever. Honestly a game isn’t something worth crying about, ohol is a fun game and I enjoy it my way you enjoy it your way. If you see people killing you all the time learn how to use anti-griefing tools.

Thank you, Toxic

#10 2019-04-25 08:42:45

CatX

Toxic wrote:

ohol is a fun game and I enjoy it my way you enjoy it your way.

The dilemma of this game as I see it:

If I want to learn how to become a master chef, and you want to hunt a thousand rabbits, we don't get in each other's way.
If I want to be the best mom ever, and you want to build a car, we don't get in each other's way.
If I want to make boxes and baskets and tidy up the town, and you want to hang around the by fire and roleplay, we don't get in each other's way.
For the most part, anyways.

But if I want either of the ones above, and you want to randomly kill me, or kill all females, or just wreak havoc, it's no longer an issue of each being able to choose their own fun. Griefing necessarily imposes on other people's fun.

It would be a different matter if this was meant to be a pvp game. But it's not meant to be that. Most don't play it that way, but the few who do enforce their play style on others.

Now to some degree, Toxic, I can see your point that griefers stress test the system and point out the weaknesses. But if that's the main value of griefing, then we can't at the same time ignore the grief griefing brings about with a light-hearted "He's having fun his way". If that's the main value, then it follows that these are areas where the game needs fixing, because what's happening is not OK.

And I realize many have opinions on "how the game is meant to be played", and people will naturally interpret Jason's decisions as the developer differently. My take is that Jason seems to strive for a game that's "almost like real life", and in real life there aren't that many serial killers and town wreckers. I would imagine that in real life stone age or bronze age, the main threats came from the environment and from other groups, and that people destroying societies from within was the exception to the rule. I would imagine that the bonds people get to their mothers, their families, their cities, make them more inclined to further the society's interests as a whole than thwart it.

I realize that the game might never get there though, because lives in OHOL don't matter the same way our real lives matter. In real life, we (or very few claim otherwise) don't have memories of other lives. In OHOL, we know that when we die, we get a new start elsewhere. This difference is something Jason can never do anything to mitigate, and it means that griefing in OHOL will always be at a level that is more than probably most, certainly me, wants.

But maybe we should ask you, since you're such a prominent griefer:
What could be done in the game to make it more interesting for people like you to further society's interests instead of thwarting it?

Last edited by CatX (2019-04-25 08:43:42)

#11 2019-04-25 08:55:51

JonySky
Website

go carefully BladeWoods, you have created a post telling a story where you were a police officer and you have killed a girl ...
in this forum there are people who can offend you that kind of behavior and you can be banned ...

Pein and toxic, I totally agree with your comments ...

I do not like ruining anyone's experience ... but nobody should tell me how I should play OHOL

in the same way that nobody is obliged to live in a certain place, town or city, (and suicidal babies do not stop) I do not want to force me to play in a certain way.

I like to help the towns and cities to evolve and have a good lineage, but if I want to play differently, I will ...

there are enough methods to counteract the griefers in the game ... but I think lazy players prefer to complain and continue working as robots, rather than solve the problem themselves, then end up in these forums to complain

At the beginning I was very affected by dying at the hands of a griefer and I was very angry, but over time I learned to accept it, learn from my mistakes, learn who I can trust my knife or my property, I learned to detect a griefer before it is too late. Nowadays, I hardly die at the hands of anyone, and if I see strange behavior in my babies, I'll take them away from the city and kill them without thinking ... I do not care if it's the last girl, or that I'm the best player in the world OHOL ... if I see something strange in you, give yourself up for dead

the relationships in life are not easy ... behind each character of OHOL there is a real person ... so coexisting with other people in OHOL is not easy either

Last edited by JonySky (2019-04-25 13:52:47)

#12 2019-04-25 08:58:12

olooopo

Toxic wrote:

Dear futurebird
If you see people killing you all the time learn how to use anti-griefing tools.

yeah, that's sums it up pretty well. You are punished if you are playing the game in vanilla and are not using awbz or something similar - that's stupid! You are really seeking a challenge in griefing? Just turn of your mod - but this wouldn't be fun then, would it?

#13 2019-04-25 09:06:01

Toxic
Banned

olooopo wrote:
Toxic wrote:

Dear futurebird
If you see people killing you all the time learn how to use anti-griefing tools.

yeah, that's sums it up pretty well. You are punished if you are playing the game in vanilla and are not using awbz or something similar - that's stupid! You are really seeking a challenge in griefing? Just turn of your mod - but this wouldn't be fun then, would it?

Griefing is made easier without the mod. At least the killing part.

#14 2019-04-25 09:22:25

CatX

JonySky wrote:

I do not like ruining anyone's experience ... but nobody should tell me how I should play OHOL

there are enough methods to counteract the griefers in the game ... but I think lazy players prefer to complain and continue working as robots, rather than solve the problem themselves, then end up in these forums to complain

Your argument seems faulty to me.

"If I dislike spending my time dealing with griefers, I should have the option to farm carrots instead and just stay out of the drama... Nobody should tell me how I should play OHOL"
See how your argument works both ways?

Carrot farmers aren't lazy. That is just another lame griefer excuse for being a jerk.

The difference is that the carrot farmer, unlike the griefer, *really* doesn't destroy anyone else's fun.
The difference is that the griefer *does* end up imposing his play style on the carrot farmer.

If, as you say, you want to have fun, and you don't like ruining anyone's experience, then stop perpetuating those silly excuses. Let's help each other instead by brain storming and perhaps coming up with good ideas for Jason to implement that benefit all, regardless of preferred play style.

#15 2019-04-25 12:49:40

DestinyCall

JonySky wrote:

go carefully DestinyCall, you have created a post telling a story where you were a police officer and you have killed a girl ...
in this forum there are people who can offend you that kind of behavior and you can be banned ...

Huh?   What are you talking about?   Are you confusing me with Bladewoods?  Our names are not even that similar.   No wonder people complain about getting cursed by mistaken when they are named John Smith III. 

And don't worry, this thread makes it clear that no one is in any danger of being banned for killing girls and posting about it.

#16 2019-04-25 13:41:34

Oblong

if griefer is an important role to a village, that would mean eve camps included, right?
those are already so unstable... and yet another factor to play into how eve camps fail every time i try to do one.

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#17 2019-04-25 13:49:12

Ace

Think outside the box for a second. Why would someone waste their time trying to kill a place that might die anyway, no challenge there unless it's something personal.
Let's think a bit about the theory regarding the role in a villege, a griefer could be the best defensive role, fight fire with fire if it comes to it. At least that person is the most versed in what the weak points of a place are. Even if that player isn't helping on purpose, the act of showing someone how fragile their foundation is makes the whole village stronger.

#18 2019-04-25 13:52:19

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:
JonySky wrote:

go carefully DestinyCall, you have created a post telling a story where you were a police officer and you have killed a girl ...

Huh?   What are you talking about?   Are you confusing me with Bladewoods?  Our names are not even that similar.   No wonder people complain about getting cursed by mistaken when they are named John Smith III. 

And don't worry, this thread makes it clear that no one is in any danger of being banned for killing girls and posting about it.

true !, I apologize, now I edit it ...
the system of curses does not work very well ... but I do not think the main problem is that people do not know how to write a name ...

#19 2019-04-25 14:01:22

DestinyCall

JonySky wrote:

true !, I apologize, now I edit it ...
the system of curses does not work very well ... but I do not think the main problem is that people do not know how to write a name ...

No worries, mate.  No harm done wink

And I agree, definitely not the biggest problem with the system.

#20 2019-04-25 15:03:54

Turnipseed

Hey Toxic:

Mind not putting your forum titles in all caps?

-Turnip

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#21 2019-04-25 16:38:51

sdogg2m

Toxic since you are allowed to post here and be granted freedom despite your antics, I am going to be out with it. You are a giant douchebag and a puss. You hide behind the cloak of anonymity in game while bragging about your antics here. If you had any scruples whatsoever, you would start clans, let us know the clan name and then have to run a marathon to avoid all the arrows flying toward you that will plunge through your heart and put you down.

And for those of us who think Toxic's behavior doesn't affect this game and its potential player base... this was a recent review on steam.

"The people who play this game are disgusting.
( Murder, racism, greed, kidnapping, infanticide, waste of public resources, dogmatic behavior, destruction of tools, wasting food, swearing.... )

Only a few people bring resources, make food, farm, and make tools for the village.

most people don't work.
They waste everyone's resources solely for them.
Bring bears to destroy villages,
raise boars and wolves,
kill all livestock and hunt young women in villages.
They kill all the gooseberry tree just to make clothes.
They destroy pen.
They also cut down all useful trees.
They trap people in the fence and starve them to death.
They disturb, harass, ridicule, swear, kill and drive people crazy.
Clothes, bags, knives. They do anything for these things."

After interacting with the likes of toxic and pein along with a few others who see fit to excuse their behavior I would tend to agree.

#22 2019-04-25 16:54:42

Ace

sdogg2m wrote:

Toxic since you are allowed to post here and be granted freedom despite your antics, I am going to be out with it. You are a giant douchebag and a puss. You hide behind the cloak of anonymity in game while bragging about your antics here. If you had any scruples whatsoever, you would start clans, let us know the clan name and then have to run a marathon to avoid all the arrows flying toward you that will plunge through your heart and put you down.

And for those of us who think Toxic's behavior doesn't affect this game and its potential player base... this was a recent review on steam.

"The people who play this game are disgusting.
( Murder, racism, greed, kidnapping, infanticide, waste of public resources, dogmatic behavior, destruction of tools, wasting food, swearing.... )

Only a few people bring resources, make food, farm, and make tools for the village.

most people don't work.
1. They waste everyone's resources solely for them.
2. Bring bears to destroy villages,
3. raise boars and wolves,
4. kill all livestock and hunt young women in villages.
5. They kill all the gooseberry tree just to make clothes.
6. They destroy pen.
7. They also cut down all useful trees.
8. They trap people in the fence and starve them to death.
9. They disturb, harass, ridicule, swear, kill and drive people crazy.
10. Clothes, bags, knives. They do anything for these things."

After interacting with the likes of toxic and pein along with a few others who see fit to excuse their behavior I would tend to agree.

You can just see that review is a troll review, it's got nothing to do with the actual game (it's the other way around actually). The same thing can be said about the real world, even better actually, with few people actually doing good, efficient work. A good player can say about a noob that uses his own hands to carry items that the noob is wasting resources and not working.

Let me take each point in order:
1. Literally most people do that, it's got nothing to do with griefing.
2. Bears are very easy to kill or dodge.
3. Can't raise boars, raising wolves is productive.
4. Killing the last livestock can happen accidentally, it's the fault of the people for not taking precautions, there are pads to heal stab wounds.
5. This one about berries and clothes is either from a noob perspective or a troll, nothing else to say here.
6. Make a better pen.
7. Plant more trees (this one in particular is rarely done rn so maybe cutting all trees is a good way to teach people)
8. RP....just learn to not get trapped after a particular age
9. Kill/curse people if they're rude, oh wait...people think killing is bad (IN A FUCKING GAME SCENARIO? like wtf)
10. People are greedy lol, griefers would be less noticeble when getting those since that's not the goal, it's just a way to get where they want.

#23 2019-04-25 17:21:13

sdogg2m

Ace,

Respectfully, what game are you playing? Since, that reviewer is describing accurately OHOL. How many times have you seen people call others retard or n%g^%#$? Because I have seen it far too much. There really should be a filter for certain words. The only one I haven't seen is number five, I think that description is inaccurate. The rest of the checklist not only has been done but BRAGGED about either here or in the discord.

Bears have been brought to kill villages. Pork has been raised previously to flood the village with useless meat. How many players have had to repair a sheep pen that had a portion of it removed to let the livestock roam free? I was trapped in a property fence just a couple days ago by some idiots who needed something to do.

Last edited by sdogg2m (2019-04-25 18:14:04)

#24 2019-04-25 17:52:25

Ace

Again, bears are easy to kill and dodge. The pork part from the past wasn't the player fault, pigs were new to the game so some wanted to try it, others did it on purpose but it's still the fault of the game, not the player. If sheep escape just take one to the new, improved pen, and kill the rest.

#25 2019-04-25 18:18:52

Astelon

Toxic wrote:

If you need to start banning people that grief to make your game better it’s a sign that the game mechanics need to be changed.

By this logic, many very popular multiplayer games need to be changed, just saying.

Board footer