One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 05:06:07

GOR

LAWS OF GOR

Hello :-)

I am GOR,    and we are GOR Tribe.    |:-)

We are attempting to build a sustainable way of life,  so villages may grow slowly,  in a stable manner rather than burning like a flash fire, falling into overpopulated un co-ordinated chaos and burning out in MEGADEATH without making any technological progress.   

The OneHourOneLife community could use a single place to send newbies to to learn the most important laws,  might as well be here as I will maintain it and update it as people make suggestions and improvements,  feel free to chip in.

When in game,  say "LEARN THE LAWS,  SEARCH GOR ON FORUM"

\/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/    \/   

LEARN THESE GLOBAL LAWS,  and you will go far,  and so will your civilization!

NEVER pick carrots from top row of a farm  (They must seed or farm will die and then so will you and your civ)

DON'T eat pies unless you are an adult with 20 bars of hunger  (Pies fill 20,  any less and you waste the pie)

DON'T empty ponds  (Or they will not refill,  if you do empty a pond accidentally, put the water back.  This will reset the ponds refill timer though,   so the mistake still costs water,  learn what a nearly empty pond looks like and never drain one)

NEVER pick milkweed unless it is fruiting (Or they won't grow back, Yellow corn cob looking fruit on them)

NEVER snare a rabbit hole unless it is a FAMILY RABBIT HOLE (or the rabbits won't come back)

NEVER Draw water from wells.  (wells have issues right now,  you will destroy the well if you don't understand well mechanics and know EXACTLY what you are doing, look it up)

DON'T eat berries from a full bush in town,  only from ones with only a few berries on them,  and only then if you can't make it to the farm to grab carrots.
(a full bush is needed for compost to replace the soil used up by seeding carrots,  If the farmers can't make compost because there are no full bushes then the farm slowly dies from soil loss,  then your civ dies and any work you did is wasted)

/\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   /\   

These are the laws EVERYONE should know as soon as they start playing the game so they don't destroy the civilization they land in :-)
As long as these Laws to prevent deadly sins are known when you join the game, most everything else can be learnt naturally from watching other people do their jobs, then trying yourself which is a lot of fun,  just don't interfere with other peoples work spaces if you can help it.

If you recommend someone this game,  link them here at the same time.

Link to here from the youtubers playing the game,  get the youtubers themselves to link to the laws here,  as this will be the most updated LAW repository.

Also if you are a woman,  you are tasked with controlling population to provide stability,  and ensuring any female child you raise knows this too.  If you have a baby and your village looks too crowded and the carrot farm is struggling to keep up with demand,  pick the baby up,  and start running out of town.     Be sure to kindly apologize on the way,   
Then drop the baby off outside town too far for them to come back.   And bid them better luck in their next life.

The player will understand and not be upset,  as they know how brutal this game is to civilizations that don't control their population :-)

Suggestions: 

Backpack is probably best used as a food battery (that's what  I use it for) so fill it with carrots (or a single pie if you know how to not waste it (Don't take a pie as a child,  you will only waste it),  you will get a LOT more work done out and about if you don't have to run and find the farm all the time.

Planned:
Discord system to determine which settlement your current life is in,  and the appropriate room within the GOR channel to join in a rapid manner considering the rapid pace of life ingame.

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-22 17:10:58)

#2 2018-03-17 05:23:34

Portager

Re: LAWS OF GOR

What does GOR stand for?

#3 2018-03-17 05:56:25

SunWukong

wow, talk about entrenching strict gender roles! wink

#4 2018-03-17 06:48:21

GOR

Portager wrote:

What does GOR stand for?

A great book series,  quite fitting for this game.  And as Tribe name...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gor

#5 2018-03-17 06:50:21

Dawn

Hey Gor it's your daughter lol

I'll join this smile

#6 2018-03-17 06:53:20

GOR

SunWukong wrote:

wow, talk about entrenching strict gender roles! wink

It is necessary,  As a female it's up to you to carefully control population.  And Even more important,  to tell the daughter you raise yourself to do the very same,  and only to raise that daughter when the situation is stable.

Might seem harsh to let so many babies die,  BUT if you try to raise them all it results in overpopulation,  chaos and then MEGADEATH.   So they die anyway.

Just send the unwanted babies off with a kind word,  most players will understand,  get quick at hammering out  something short and sweet such as

"Sorry can't.  GL next life :-)"

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 06:54:15)

#7 2018-03-17 06:55:42

GOR

Dawn wrote:

I'll join this smile

Welcome to the tribe my good daughter :-)
Were you the one with the wolf hat, in the village with the long wooden path leading away from it?

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 09:37:03)

#8 2018-03-17 07:10:28

Portager

I dig the rules overall, honestly this is how I should train my kids whether I am a GOR tribe member or not.

What happens if one is spawned as a wild eve? By the time they get a decent camp setup, they will be nearing old age. If their only kid is a boy, then that throws off your system. Even if it is a girl, this one girl would have to be trained to manage more than just the farm, or else she would not be able to train her children to do anything past farming. It seems to me that your system would work only where there is an established village.

#9 2018-03-17 08:24:50

chikenvoice

i met the only remaining man of the GOR tribe as an Eve without home but with 3 sons. He kindly gave us spare clothes and invited us to join the great GOR tribe.

I had a couple more sons and two daughters, the first one I called a princess because she was so important to the survival of the tribe, so she decided to stay by the fire and care for kids, the second one turned out to be a smith, which made me very proud.

When I got old I was serene watching our tribe growing nicely untill a vile bear came. I watched my children die one by one. I managed to wound the beast with an arrow from the bow of GOR but then it got me. I hope the tribe survives.

#10 2018-03-17 08:32:35

GOR

Portager wrote:

I dig the rules overall, honestly this is how I should train my kids whether I am a GOR tribe member or not.

What happens if one is spawned as a wild eve? By the time they get a decent camp setup, they will be nearing old age. If their only kid is a boy, then that throws off your system. Even if it is a girl, this one girl would have to be trained to manage more than just the farm, or else she would not be able to train her children to do anything past farming. It seems to me that your system would work only where there is an established village.

Indeed,  one has to raise a girl to run the farm that you have spent your EVE life establishing.  and tell her to raise 2 daughters after she takes your place. 

One to take her place at the farm for when she dies.     One to advance the village,  by snaring rabbits,  and making backpacks/clothes for the tribe.  and that's her job.  Just churn out clothing and backpacks.   

Each job will have a master,  who gives birth to the apprentice,  who's instruction is just to follow closely and watch and learn how to do the job.

Each Job once running smoothly opens up new higher tech jobs.

So whoever is highest up the tech tree can birth 2 daughters,  one to replace her,  one to branch out into a higher level job,  supported by the chain of jobs before here all the way back down to farming.

The Master/apprentice system worked in real life.   Will probably work here too.

What we need to figure out is small sections of text that each different type of woman tells her daughter.  every Daughter needs to be told one thing the same,  Raise only one daughter to replace you at your current job when you die,  then maybe a second daughter to branch out to a new higher tech job....  Or if there are no spare women in case of accidental death...

After that,  the short educational text given to each daughter will be different for each type of woman depending on their job.    That's what we as a tribe need to collectively figure out and put into practice.     

All this info needs to be eloquently condensed down to as few words as possible that anyone can understand...  Due to the language limitations ingame.

I'll keep editing the Opening post as we develop our culture :-)

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 09:11:55)

#11 2018-03-17 08:50:34

GOR

chikenvoice wrote:

i met the only remaining man of the GOR tribe as an Eve without home but with 3 sons. He kindly gave us spare clothes and invited us to join the great GOR tribe.

I had a couple more sons and two daughters, the first one I called a princess because she was so important to the survival of the tribe, so she decided to stay by the fire and care for kids, the second one turned out to be a smith, which made me very proud.

When I got old I was serene watching our tribe growing nicely untill a vile bear came. I watched my children die one by one. I managed to wound the beast with an arrow from the bow of GOR but then it got me. I hope the tribe survives.

That was me,  GOR himself ;-)   The Tribe will survive my Queen.    I lead the bear away from the tribe lands in my doddering old age with a berry in my hands to give me the stamina to get it far enough away.

Theres a GOR Tribe legend that there's a bear that threatened the tribe out there somewhere,  strangled to death from the inside by GOR the elder.....

FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 09:24:17)

#12 2018-03-17 09:39:48

Kitaelia

This is a pretty neat idea and it would certainly help teach new players how to do important jobs! I'm definitely bookmarking this thread to keep tabs on it! ^_^

Is the tribe spread across all servers? Or is it focusing on a certain server for starters?

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#13 2018-03-17 09:46:50

Dawn

GOR wrote:
Dawn wrote:

I'll join this smile

Were you the one with the wolf hat, in the village with the long wooden path leading away from it?

Yes I was! How did you know???

That was my second game ever actually. I'm very happy to have found you.

#14 2018-03-17 09:53:57

GOR

Indeed, GOR style Master/Apprentice culture should be a perfect boon for new players.   Just follow your master and let him teach you De wey!    Nothing else you need to do while an apprentice other than to eat, watch and learn.   

And have your master let you take over under instruction once you've seen enough to give it a try.   And the master can correct you if you go wrong and clean up any mistakes you make.   Marvelous!

Due to the randomness of placement,  there's not much point focusing on a single server as you end up scattered across the lands never to meet anyone in particular anyway.        GOR tribe will spread organically across all servers as people spread the word of GOR haha :-P

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 09:54:49)

#15 2018-03-17 09:58:03

Gate Valley

GOR wrote:
Dawn wrote:

I'll join this smile

The long wooden path leading north? If so I spent an entire lifetime in that village! I even wore that wolf hat for most of it. As a man I fed carrots to a baby boy who was abandoned by his mother despite the fact we had plenty of food, needed help around the village, and almost all villagers were getting old. He told me he'd helped start the village at it's very beginning. Things worked out pretty good but I think he might have gotten eaten by a bear.

#16 2018-03-17 10:03:09

GOR

Dawn wrote:
GOR wrote:
Dawn wrote:

I'll join this smile

Yes I was! How did you know???

That was my second game ever actually. I'm very happy to have found you.

A Parent always recognizes their children haha! :-P

And I'm glad our tribe found you and took you in,  my daughter :-)

Now GO!  Spread the word of GOR tribe,  and may the civilizations you settle upon flourish from following de wey of GOR ^_^

Bring back what you learn,  and make suggestions to improve our culture.   I will amend the founding constitution of GOR as we see fit.

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 10:17:50)

#17 2018-03-17 10:14:55

GOR

Gate Valley wrote:
GOR wrote:
Dawn wrote:

I'll join this smile

The long wooden path leading north? If so I spent an entire lifetime in that village! I even wore that wolf hat for most of it. As a man I fed carrots to a baby boy who was abandoned by his mother despite the fact we had plenty of food, needed help around the village, and almost all villagers were getting old. He told me he'd helped start the village at it's very beginning. Things worked out pretty good but I think he might have gotten eaten by a bear.

So you inherited Dawns wolf hat?  Haha,  from what you say I believe that you bore it well.   A Good man of the Tribe!
You are welcome among-st the Tribesmen of GOR my lad.

And as for the damned bears,  they hound us at every step.   They put me in the mind of pondering the legends told of the murderous pachyderms of boatmurdered!

We shall loft the arrow laden bows of GOR upon them!   And teach them to flee the Tribe of GOR,  lest their pelts be taken to warm our youngest children!

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 10:26:43)

#18 2018-03-17 11:28:19

chikenvoice

GOR wrote:
chikenvoice wrote:

That was me,  GOR himself ;-)   The Tribe will survive my Queen.    I lead the bear away from the tribe lands in my doddering old age with a berry in my hands to give me the stamina to get it far enough away.

Theres a GOR Tribe legend that there's a bear that threatened the tribe out there somewhere,  strangled to death from the inside by GOR the elder.....

https://i.imgur.com/QhplMx1.png

That's an awesome story! I'd love to go back to our village. I hope I find it again someday.

#19 2018-03-17 11:43:37

GOR

chikenvoice wrote:

That's an awesome story! I'd love to go back to our village. I hope I find it again someday.

I hope so too,  Daughter of Gor. We will know it if we see it again,  it was quite distinct :-D

I'm signing off for today,  But as GOR head chief,  let me glimpse into the crystal ball and attempt to summon a vision of our tribes future!!!

https://youtu.be/bVRDsA6Q1Mo?t=69

Wow,  we will have self driving cars,  lettuce farming...  But nakeds eating raw produce out of the fields will still be a thing. 

That or I just need laser eye surgery from an atomic powered robot to see more clearly....

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-17 11:58:26)

#20 2018-03-17 19:33:43

Portager

Ok, I dig this idea.

If you come up with a set of uniform scripts, I will try it for a game and we will go from there.

#21 2018-03-19 02:45:36

GOR

Just the basics for now,  When the daughter you want to raise is born
Introduce yourself as
"Hello baby"
"I am Portager of tribe GOR"

Then tell her to raise only one girl and one boy.  And just say "sorry Baby" to all other babies.    And tell her daughter the same.     

And only raise a second daughter if it looks like the tribe needs to grow,  and also educate that second daughter the same as the first.

Ask her if she wishes to join the GOR tribe and to search GOR on forum.

I'd like help editing the opening post with any suggestions you have.

I'm also thinking a separate thread linked to from the start of the opening post,  so anyone just joined Tribe GOR ingame and searched on the forum can just click through to get a good introduction to the tribe's basics.

The population control through educating daughters to only raise one daughter themselves is the only current set basics.

Still developing them though,  so open to suggestions.

I'm wondering whether we should have different roles for men and women.
The primary job of women should be raising and educating children, then giving them a tour of the village lands by  showing them where the resources around the village are.

And men to work,   farm and trap rabbits and bring back anything needed.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-19 02:50:29)

#22 2018-03-19 02:54:59

Kitaelia

The Sons can also be taught how to raise and educate children (To be able to recognize when they should feed a baby carrots and teach the baby in the absence of a mother, or to know that the mother is not feeding that baby on purpose for population control). Males would make wonderful masters / teachers due to not having to worry about a random baby popping out in the middle of a lesson.

#23 2018-03-22 14:54:47

GOR

Can't make it too complicated,  needs to be short and simple rules that are easy to pass on ingame.  I'm thinking just basic population control rules to start.

We need one place on the forum to tell every newbie to go to,  with a simple list of ALL the laws,  updated as people develop civilisation and develop new laws,  so re purposing the OP for that for now.  So you can tell people to "Learn the LAW,  search GOR on forum)

Research ongoing,    Pies right now seem to be a double edged sword.   Great for productivity if people know how to use them (in backpack and only eat when about to starve,  saves running back to find food in the middle of long jobs),
but they just get buzz sawed through and wasted by most people (if Children and old people start eating them)

Problem with pies is they are split into only 4 slices and each fills a full 20 bars of hunger,  so if you don't eat them only when an adult and about to starve,  Most of their food potential is wasted.     I've seen whole carts full of pies get wasted this way by children and old people due to their small hunger bars and shrew like requirement to eat constantly....

Pies need to be changed so they are more like 20 slices  and recover 4 hunger per bite so they don't get buzz sawed and wasted like they do right now.

Heres an extreme example of why why Pies just get buzz sawed through and wasted.  20 potential hunger fill,   used to fill 2 hunger...
https://youtu.be/bCe1BdyrU08?t=1282

Someone who knows how to make a knife,  still doesn't know the problem with pies.

And again,  this is what more commonly happens 14 out of 20 potential wasted each time old people eat pie...
https://youtu.be/bCe1BdyrU08?t=1336

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-22 17:18:13)

#24 2018-03-22 15:25:40

GOR

Ok I've updated the opening post with the laws,  I think the "Only eat carrots from baskets"  Law is Depreciated by the "NEVER pick carrots from top row of a farm" Law

Because I believe the carrots from baskets law was to prevent people from possibly picking from the seed rows.

And I've found Standing in the middle of a farm for a minute or two holding a knife/bow+arrow saying
"NEVER PICK TOP ROW, THEY MUST SEED"
and using the weapon on anyone who picks from top row seems to calm down an unruly and crowded farm surprisingly well and saves that civilization.

Last edited by GOR (2018-03-22 16:02:48)

#25 2018-03-23 08:39:37

Kitaelia

GOR wrote:

And I've found Standing in the middle of a farm for a minute or two holding a knife/bow+arrow saying
"NEVER PICK TOP ROW, THEY MUST SEED"
and using the weapon on anyone who picks from top row seems to calm down an unruly and crowded farm surprisingly well and saves that civilization.

Hahaha.. I like you! I think we should be friends!

I'm sad and very disheartened that I have yet to be born into a GOR tribe sad

Board footer