One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-22 12:41:45

futurebird

Limit the number of Eves

Pein mentioned this on discord but another solution to the /die problem is to cap the number of Eves at any given time. About half of dead babies are shopping for Eve.  So, limit the number of Eves to (server population)/8

This would mean that there would be about 10-15 active towns at a time. I’m ok with towns dying due to bad choices, a bad location, or even griefers. But places firing out because a chunk of players has used /die so much they are banned from all active settlements so you end up with no kids even with 15 yum is annoying. Everyone wants to Eve. I want to Eve.  It could be used as a reward for having the deepest lineage. Or have a points system where you take the sum of all lineage depths and divide by number of lives. The higher the score the more likely you are to be born as Eve or in an early gen.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-04-22 13:04:29

The_Anabaptist

Re: Limit the number of Eves

A better solution:

An Options checkbox when starting the game that says: I want to Eve / I don't want to Eve.  And then remove /die from the game.

If 99.9% of the players decide they always want to Eve, then so be it.

The_Anabaptist

#3 2019-04-22 14:42:19

olooopo

Really? Half of the dying bb's want to be eves? Is there any statistic supporting this?
If this is really true than adding a checkbox at start asking if someone wants to eve don't seem to have any disadvantage. After all, ppl which want to be eve usually will get to it after slash-dying from all living families. Therefore, such a checkbox makes the life easier for everyone. However, the '\die'  command should stay as it is now because without it bb's would just ran off if they don't like your city and even grief it if you force them to stay.

#4 2019-04-22 14:43:46

futurebird

olooopo wrote:

Really? Half of the dying bb's want to be eves? Is there any statistic supporting this?

I would love some stats so maybe I'll do a poll. The 1/2 number was just my guess, because I know a lot of people also /die because they HATE Eve camps ... Hold on...

---
omnem cibum costis

#5 2019-04-22 14:55:08

futurebird

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-04-22 15:58:09

DestinyCall

If the eve number was capped what would happen to people who /die out of all  available lineages?   Would they cease to exist?

#7 2019-04-22 16:10:59

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:

If the eve number was capped what would happen to people who /die out of all  available lineages?   Would they cease to exist?

They could cycle back through the existing ones?

---
omnem cibum costis

#8 2019-04-22 16:14:05

DestinyCall

So it would remove the area ban and /die could be used to return to your chosen village.   I'm not against this idea, but it might not reduce infant mortality.

#9 2019-04-22 19:58:21

pein

Yeah, thanks

You don't cover all reasons, most weird ones:
-Kid suicide cause wanted to be named Abby, came back several times
-Suicide cause wanted different sprite set (did this a few times when testing sprites as i wanted to see/be the brown chick)
-triplets died cause they wanted to clutter the smith and found it funny to leave 6 bones there
-kid seen property fences (actually came back and was a decent player)
-kid wanted to revenge murder (it was lineage banned cause of it and stayed after i explained)
im sure there is more, i don't remember or don't know of, and lot of them is not legit to ruin others fun

And some legit:
-Accident, forgetting the wrong settings like server, catch is not cleaned
-Roleplayers with cults and prisons
-Most of people who lead the town are dumb based on the things they make
-You already been there and you don't want again
-Decayed town which is a whole life of cleaning up and basket making
-Two similar lives when you got to make pen and gather iron to get things started, no help

Im not sure on percentages yet, but i think most prevalent is going back to a city (even if they cant) and try to become Eve or girl or pseudo eve.

With pseudo eves i agree, just run a way as a kid, make your own city, 200 tiles is off the area ban, that is even helpful.

Keep in midn that this is the forums, maybe discord who will fill the survey
General players don't use forums, discord, steam forum, they just do whatever.
Newbees prefer food and some nice camp.

Truth is that lineage bans were highly hated when it was introduced and even new players find it bad mostly.

Before 100 hours: you cant be eve or cant be eve too often.
After 100 hours you can choose if you don't want to be Eve or want to be Eve. Maybe just a bit more chance to get your preference, not a choice.
After 300 you can choose a limit of generations.

Thing is, you cant make people stay if they don't want to, you can try to grip them for a minute, explain plans and situation, make them interested.
Maybe they got 1 hour that day and want something specific for it.
They will always grief, suicide, kill or starve themselves anyway.

I think we should have a top limit for Eves and bottom limit for families.
Each family is guaranteed 2 girls, after that chances are higher to get boys.
Each Eve has a color, a limit is Number of players/12 so for 120 max 10 Eves.
Not sure on this, lot of eve camps die or struggle then die.

Smaller Eve circle would help. Maybe each color would go like rainbow: Red, Pink, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Purple, White, Black and some more
Each different color (the first 10 eves  spawn further.
Each new Eve after, gets the same color and spawns closeby (around 200-400)

People need to know they cannot eve.
So maybe an Eve token each day. You got one chance only. I suicide a lot when eve cause i seen maps 400x400 only 3 ponds on a bad spot and you already got kids, not a good option to move. So maybe total 60 minutes to be Eve. This could be still abused, so maybe you reach 30 as an eve, then you use up your token. If you die before you can try again.

Thing is, if you make a city, the older oens got area banned and filled with guys.
Then they die out cause people cant go back.
Then your eve camp dies of no smart people, or no veteran wants to stay or no veteran borns as a girl. Or more females born and you get people starve cause too many.

So limiting families to minimum 2 females (the first 2 babies always female, the next two always or higher chance to be male)
Maximum 20 people. too much chaos with 40 or more people, i even seen 130 same camp, it's hilarious but can't really work.
Maybe you need to set up something to increase population cap. If you cant or don't know how you are limited to 10 people.

Similar to home markers, we would need totems. The totems would stand like the gates until the person is alive, with birth date (x min ago)
Maybe a necklace which you can wear, then put on a totem when you find a home.
This necklaces would limit the population but also give advantage. 10 necklaces together in an area/zone like 30x30 would increase the cap for 10 more people. These would be home markers as well and similar to property fence cost one time resource.
Could be used to signal if you are dead. the totem falls, you know the person is dead.
I guess making some footwork wont hurt, people would still forget it, that's why need some advantage to doing so.

If each family provided with minimum supply, they can only die if careless.
If they provided with maximum limit, they need to do work to increase it.
Right now all i see is a baby boom for 30 min then everybody area banned and the next gen 3-4 camp emerges for 30 min. And towns don't die for lack of knowledge or care, people composting, getting iron, making a nice camp. They just don't have babies to stay.

So people need to be limited from playing Eve all the time. If you live in city for 60 min total, you can eve. If you decide to settle  before 25-30 you lose your eve token, you got to born to families alive.
This could mean people will born back to same family again. But maybe if you suicide from all towns, you born as Reserve Eve. Which means you are very close to a city.
Now there should be some sort of list or que on Eves, signal that you want to Eve. When a spot opens, you get a message and it's reserved for you for 20 min? The ten slots not too much, not sure on numbers, i think the stats shown that more than half of eve camps don't reach gen 6. Population might help, eventually you get smart people. Bad camps deserve to die out, that's why people dont stay.

I guess if Eve number is limited, people would kill lineage to be eves. So i think a big circle and multiple small circles around each primary eves would make more sense. lets say one eve spawns at (0,0) next one (0,1500) next (1500,1500) until circle is full

then new eve spawns at (0,200) and (0,1200). We could even have small apocalypse, when 5 families die in an area. Meaning items decay faster there.

Signal if you are primary eve (alone in middle of nothing) or secondary (close to city)
If you run to find a city then you waste your eve token after age 30 but i guess you don't mind.
So basically we can get a maximum of 1 eve per player who lived that day in a city. But if we got too many Eves, they will be closer to each other.
So they forced to war or merge, and if you are a male survivor you might find girls in outskirts. A horse will mean that you can make contact.

People doesn't seem to find cities 3 biomes away, 100 tiles only. yet they still area ban each other.
Gen 44 Dupont and gen 22 Datri? was barely 300 away and they crossed paths gathering iron yet they didn't merged or made any trade under 7 hours (22 gen, each gen each 20 min?)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-04-23 01:01:44

Bob 101

I don't know why people always say /die babies are trying to be eve. As an Eve I still get lots of suicides, Even in a good spot.

#11 2019-04-23 01:09:56

pein

eve, not eve kid
they want to name others and test skills

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-04-23 02:04:18

futurebird

Being Eve's kid is pretty much the same "test of skill" but I do think naming is a bigger motivation than people let on.

---
omnem cibum costis

#13 2019-04-23 03:49:31

Buggy

Maybe a change so that you could only have one eve line that you named and couldn't make a new one till that family died out?

Board footer