One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-21 09:01:38

Tipy

A new kind of griefing ''I stole the tools to make a new town''

I have seen it so many times this past week. A girl puts all of the tools in a car and says ''I want to make a new town''. At first I thought they really wanted to make a new town so I tried to explain them how ours is good and there is no need to take so many tools and if she wishes she can just get born as an Eve. But that never stops them. Another popular varient if that is a girl taking a horse cart filled with pies to leave town.

You may be asking, but how do you know that they are griefing? Well I have had to deal with people like that so much that I think I characterised their behavior. First of all they are either the same person or maybe a group of people doing it one at a time. They behave like noobs but at times act like knowledgeable people. They can not be talked out of not making a town or stealing all the tools and finally the thing that tipped me of is when I found out that one of them was indeed hiding stuff.

The reason why this is so annoying is because you can't really tell if they want to make a new town and are they that stupid to take so much stuff with them. Next time when you see one of them don't be fooled they are griefing and are toying with your kindness.

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#2 2019-04-21 09:27:29

MultiLife

Re: A new kind of griefing ''I stole the tools to make a new town''

Well that's disappointing to hear. We really should consider making hiding things impossible - or create ways to find the item when looking for it. A highlight or an arrow if you are close to what you are looking for. Or block the tiles behind trees. Make hiding require even more work so griefers have to consider if it's even worth it. I think the trees blocking view is just bad design, not our fault to be stuck in a camera view and having two to three tiles high trees with foliage on the middle of tiles.

It's weird, usually griefers get their kicks from drama and the chaos of killing and running; yet this kind of boring griefing is done. I guess those kind of griefers just want to end the town. Which still makes me wonder why as that town ends anyways.

I wish getting iron was fun or had interesting ways to gather it which are fun. Then I could do it more often and create surplus.
But it's a pain in the butt running or riding around and getting the required items for mines gets near impossible when towns devour things needed for mines and horse carts and baskets.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-04-21 09:28:30

pein

my lil sister begged straight 13 min for a backpack
cause she "want to gather iron"

that never gonna happen when i made our 2nd and 3rd pack being 2 min older than her
mom was happy for a pack and i get if she don't want to get rid of it for sake of some kid who didn't work at all
i dodged the shot and kill her, later people kill each other, defend griefers
guy wanted a knife, i took it and told him to make storage
he  killed all sheep and then the oldest girl kid for her clothes
i kileld him and almost got killed by some guy

they were fucking around some property fence and they were dangerous together

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-04-21 09:34:36

hmrka

Omg this exact situation happend when I twinned with a friend this week. There was a weird girl hiding a cart full of two baskets of pies, and two baskets of tool heads. I asked her where shes going and she replied "not here". She put them into a cart and drove away.

I would stab her but me and my buddy had low curse thresholds so yeah... I told her to just take one basket of pies but she was stubborn.

Ty for pointing this griefer's method out, will try to stab all the nabs using this method smile

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#5 2019-04-21 10:20:33

Whatever

The solution to this is a fence all around the town.
There should be one or two gate keepers, they decide if someone is allowed to leave in order to gather resources.

#6 2019-04-21 12:11:10

Laalala

MultiLife wrote:

We really should consider making hiding things impossible - or create ways to find the item when looking for it. A highlight or an arrow if you are close to what you are looking for.

It already has that. Mouse over a tree, anything hidden behind it, the shape will be highlighted through the tree and you can pick stuff up.  Nothing is really hidden if you have a bit of patience.  For corpses, you need a basket but any stuff they died with will get scattered to nearby squares.

I mostly use it for finding rabbits when all the more easily visible ones have already been hunted. The highlight is clear enough you can tell if there is a baby. Same for reeds.

#7 2019-04-21 12:16:32

Baker

This is where private property can potentially help. If I make a hoe and keep it in my fenced area, It won't be stolen by griefers.

Communism is great until some ass decides to steal everything.

Last edited by Baker (2019-04-21 12:17:05)

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#8 2019-04-21 13:43:28

Booklat1

hmrka wrote:

Omg this exact situation happend when I twinned with a friend this week. There was a weird girl hiding a cart full of two baskets of pies, and two baskets of tool heads. I asked her where shes going and she replied "not here". She put them into a cart and drove away.

I would stab her but me and my buddy had low curse thresholds so yeah... I told her to just take one basket of pies but she was stubborn.

Ty for pointing this griefer's method out, will try to stab all the nabs using this method smile

dont be silly, if she was carrying heads its likely she made them, so not stealing

#9 2019-04-21 21:19:34

futurebird

Booklat1 wrote:
hmrka wrote:

dont be silly, if she was carrying heads its likely she made them, so not stealing

Huh? Why would that be the case? There is often a basket of tool heads in the smith, and it's easier to take than full tools. She could have made them, but even if she did she used the village forge, used the village bellows, probably used kindling brought by someone who though she was making tools for the town, use iron brought for the town as well.

Now there is the chance she was from a nearly dead town, with very few people, I hope that was the case. Or from a town where there were too many murders.

I will go along with such efforts to make new towns. They aren't always bad, but the potential for it to have hurt the original town is always there. I like to go back and see how the old town is doing, in one case it was just a big old town and the idea of founding a new one seemed reasonable. In another case when I was the kid of such a woman her home town was a gen 5 camp and the stuff she took really hurt them.

IDK I just hope people think before doing this.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#10 2019-04-21 22:14:42

MultiLife

Laalala wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

We really should consider making hiding things impossible - or create ways to find the item when looking for it. A highlight or an arrow if you are close to what you are looking for.

It already has that. Mouse over a tree, anything hidden behind it, the shape will be highlighted through the tree and you can pick stuff up.  Nothing is really hidden if you have a bit of patience.  For corpses, you need a basket but any stuff they died with will get scattered to nearby squares.

I mostly use it for finding rabbits when all the more easily visible ones have already been hunted. The highlight is clear enough you can tell if there is a baby. Same for reeds.

Hahah, I know this. But I still think it should be better than this. Scanning trees with mouse is not great gameplay.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2019-04-21 22:41:38

honikker

If the person
- finds their own iron (unless the town has a surplus and won't be hurt by the loss of 3-4 ingots)
- forges their own tools (or asks someone to forge the tools for them)
- brings clay back to town so the plates they take can easily be replaced

or is living in a town where the loss of a few things won't be noticed, I don't see the problem. People migrating away and making separate towns if x town is too crowded or otherwise falling apart can extend the life of a lineage.

Or to use the rhetoric I see a lot, you can't force people to play where they don't want to. If they wanna bounce and make their own place away from yours, they can. No one owns those tools unless they're behind a gate or in someone's hands.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

Board footer