#1 2019-04-19 08:03:44

BladeWoods

Please fix graves

1 iron making food perfectly = 10,000+ food
1 iron chopping firewood = a slow fire for 13+ hours & 101 butt logs
1 iron digging graves = 41 graves

Potatoes were fixed
Let's do graves now

No more chance to use shovel when digging graves?
Allow us to bury our dead

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-04-19 08:24:35)

#2 2019-04-19 11:48:51

Twisted

Re: Please fix graves

I think the real problem is compost. Shovels should be used for digging, composting should be done by a dedicated tool such as a manure fork.

#3 2019-04-19 12:46:01

Redram

Twisted wrote:

I think the real problem is compost. Shovels should be used for digging, composting should be done by a dedicated tool such as a manure fork.

I don't think that really helps the issue.  I'd say the issue is that digging graves has no benefit in terms of food or tech progression, or resource gain.  It's an 'rp' act.   Therefore it makes more sense to make it cost-less.  If you leave it costing shovel uses, and make a separate tool for composting, that doesn't fix the issue.  It'll still cost iron either way.  I think the op's solution makes more sense.

#4 2019-04-19 13:11:58

DestinyCall

Redram wrote:
Twisted wrote:

I don't think that really helps the issue.  I'd say the issue is that digging graves has no benefit in terms of food or tech progression, or resource gain.  It's an 'rp' act.   Therefore it makes more sense to make it cost-less.  If you leave it costing shovel uses, and make a separate tool for composting, that doesn't fix the issue.  It'll still cost iron either way.  I think the op's solution makes more sense.

I think the two problems are related.   The shovel has the least "uses" of any iron tool.  Shovels break much much faster than axes.    The shovel was nerfed to help balance compost production.  If composting had a dedicated tool, balanced for compost work, the shovel could be re-balanced to allow more uses.   Or the cost of grave digging could be reduced to allow it to be more in line with tree-chopping.   I generally don't worry about chopping too many trees, even when it costs an ax, because it will benefit the town in future generations.   But I do worry about wasting the shovel, since digging too many tree stumps or tule reed stumps or empty clay deposits (or potatoes before the proposed update) will burn through iron like crazy.    You can't even make a reasonable dent in the huge pile of bones surrounding the average village with a single shovel. 

I would be okay with a non-shovel related way to dispose of the dead.   Mass-graves or cremation, for example.    Or shift composting to a dedicated tool and give the shovel more uses overall. Or significantly reducing the cost of shoveling bones in particular.   

Right now, cleaning up bones is largely an aesthetic concern.   They will eventually decay away if left long enough, similar to tree stumps.   Burying the bones speeds this process along, but isn't necessary.  The current meta of shifting bones to the outskirts of town to allow for natural decay is ... logical.  But it is ugly as sin and doesn't feel natural to new players.   You could add some kind of an in-game mechanic to encourage proper corpse disposal - like mosquitos generating from dead bodies that are left out for too long, but I don't think that is actually necessary.   If the cost of burial was adjusted, people would do it just to get rid of the mess.You do eventually get used to living in a boneyard, but I think our villages would look much prettier and more civilized if we didn't leave the bones of our dead to bleach in the sun.

#5 2019-04-19 14:16:38

Redram

DestinyCall wrote:

Or the cost of grave digging could be reduced to allow it to be more in line with tree-chopping.

As long as it's code-possible to inidividually adjust the cost of each act - and it seems that is the case - then it's clearly simpler to just adjust the cost of grave-digging - and any other act in question - rather than make an entire other tool.  Do we really need another tool head in the lineup?

DestinyCall wrote:

I would be okay with a non-shovel related way to dispose of the dead.

Yes, a 'crypt' wall would be great.   Stone wall plus another pile of stones = empty crypt, with 9 niches for bones.   Graveyard size reduced by a factor of 9.   Only works on east-west walls, obviously.

Last edited by Redram (2019-04-19 14:17:11)

#6 2019-04-19 18:41:36

BladeWoods

Redram wrote:

As long as it's code-possible to inidividually adjust the cost of each act - and it seems that is the case - then it's clearly simpler to just adjust the cost of grave-digging - and any other act in question - rather than make an entire other tool.  Do we really need another tool head in the lineup?

I agree with this as well, we could get different use chances for different activities. This should be possible b/c probability transitions are already a thing (think fishing or cards). Shoveling a grave or shoveling a potato instead of just having 0 chance to break the shovel could have a small probability to trigger a chance to use the shovel.

#7 2019-04-20 05:34:20

pein

suicide kids should decay faster, like 5 min, they choose to not be part of family
also any kid who starves in 5 minutes, like i don't see how they can leave behind anything remarkable and still die at that age

maybe not named kids decay faster?
i like knowing who it was the bone but whats the purpose of twin suicide bones?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-04-20 07:22:38

DestinyCall

Perhaps children under a certain age would leave behind "child bones" that decay more quickly, regardless of death cause.   I feel like that would be relatively easy change and it would significantly reduce the skeleton clutter.

Board footer