One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-10 17:31:28

futurebird

In your experience when do babies /die the least?

The other side of the /die issue is: why do players do it? In your experience what kind of first few min. of life has the least /die responses. For me it's

-If I'm on a horse or out of town and stop to get the kid they tend to stay. I think people appreciate the effort and since they can't see the town they are curious.
-If I'm playing as Eve and have a pretty good set up going. (though there still are too many /dies in this circumstance)

Kids seem to /die the most if I'm smithing. Maybe people think that's "helpful" -- it isn't we need people most of the time.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-04-10 18:40:19

BlueDiamondAvatar

Re: In your experience when do babies /die the least?

Babies /die the least if you are standing within a tile or two of a fire, have clothes in a nearby box ready to pile on, and have obvious signs of steel tools within the screen - boards on the floor, an axe, a knife, whatever.

It also helps if there are absolutely no skeletons within view, and the place seems more organized than cluttered.  But people's tolerance for that is vastly variable. 

Having a healthy berry patch with some water tech that is that mossy deep green nearby helps, too.

Having finished high tech or high prestige items you can show them within ten tiles is also a plus.  Things like an oil distillery, a diesel pump, a car and/or airplane, or a finished bell tower. 

You will still have some /die babies in this scenario, as the folks who prefer early stage tech opt out, but most babies are casual players and most casual players just want to live a laid back life in a place where they can use or watch someone use novel tech.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#3 2019-04-10 20:30:34

breezeknight

i don't see any special pattern, maybe rather more /die with Eve, early beginner & if i am out of town
but players also /die middle in town, next to clothed people, in all kinds of circumstances
so not really any apparent pattern

i repeat what i wrote in the other thread about why i /die, that's
mostly either because the town is known to me as horribly built or i am born next to murders or the people are interacting in a manner i don't wanna be part of or it's apparently an Eve trying to get hold of her own life first

& well, at times i have just misclicked logging in to the game or realise i have not enough time or something comes up suddenly

so to the question
the least babies & me as baby /die if the mother is nice & is greeting me friendly or if i greet the baby
the general cirumstances are rather incidental

- - -

#4 2019-04-11 05:55:33

pein

veterans die least if they see resources and a decent setup
like boards, reed, clay and branches, soil
so we can make pen, room and farm to our liking
also people arent idiot rp nabs who just stand around with 10 babies
and make stew and 3 pies without bellows and adobe even on sight

i guess new players just want food and fire on sight, if they were in a city they try to get to a city even if there isn't much of a chance getting back

i really don't like small rooms and bones everywhere, no firewood or milkweed in sight and it's a bad biome combination and a bad setup with fast roads and heavy focus on berry extending
generally i would say if they suicide they wouldn't do much anyway
sure you get more newbies to stay, those with only a few hours of game, but if you got some cool looking setup, it attracts people

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-04-11 19:25:25

PeaGirl

I only die when there is no surname.
I only die if town has way too many people already, at least 5 kids.
I only die if mom wants me to. ( ;o;)

I don't die if town is city, town or eve camp.
I don't die if there is messy, or it's unorganized, doesn't take few minutes until you've fixed it when you're toddler.
I don't die because I don't want to be a narcist too much.

*drops mic*

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#6 2019-04-11 22:13:03

Luniatji

I /die when there's much woman/girls (say 4/4)
I /die when it's a big city with two families and/or which the other seems large, but mine seems small (less than say 3/3 mine, if I see at least five woman/girls from the other family, im gone.)
I do /die when I see there are lots of kids and almost no food. (Not as eve's gen, but later gen.)
I almost always run to die if I'm a boy, until there is something for what I stay. (Today as Max Leaf as example.)
I /die if there are lots of killings or someone is threatening me
I /die if theres a famine coming but nobody is caring (there is a large field of say berries and nobody cares for them/someone waters all the carrots and there's already ten stacks of them/there are five or more carrots seeding because nobody cared for it or there is almost no food but someone keeps all her kids, who when they are three die because no food)

I don't die if there are say 3 or less girls/woman and I'm a girl
I don't /die but run to change my gender if I wanna stay in that lineage, just not as my gender
I don't /die in Eve camps if there is not much food (because, after all, it's an Eve.)

#7 2019-04-11 23:09:43

hmrka

In eve camps, life is harder in there, but In my experience kids /die a lot less when I'm eve or 2-5 gen.
Ofc most of the time they don't survive long and die from starvation before 10 yrs old..

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#8 2019-04-12 04:58:21

Bob 101

Depends on the person, Even an organised high tech city will get /die babies.

#9 2019-04-12 14:48:54

Chimera

I die in high tech cities, now. When I was new I didn't do it because it allowed me to safely learn things and eat while doing it without actually impacting the flow of the town, also making mistakes in a high tech city doesn't hurt as badly as making mistakes say in an Eve or just advancing town.

Now I die because I want the challenge and learn how to survival more optimally, which you can't really do in a town that has everything and does everything for you.

Board footer