One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-16 17:19:36

jakeinmn

Adding a wounded backstab & medicine will halt murders substantially.

What I laid out at the end will substantially reduce the level of griefing and murders, while promoting substantial levels of cooperation and inter city bonding, while adding another level of depth to the game that promotes the game's core message.

But before I get into it, let me say whats happening because of the update.

In the last three lives I had under the update, it was fashionable to have a murdered corpses and knives mass produced. I saw two boxes of knives, and murdered graves in "shrines". It gives a thrill to murderers who knew they were rewarded with a neat new texture for a kill. And people crafting them know You either butcher animals or people...

This is addressing SOLO troll. Two people that form a warband promotes social interaction and what I suggest will promote this. What is being suggested is only for Solo trolls and will deter random murderers.

Consider this: The player who wants to to do the action to harm another player FIRST has the only real major advantage in PvP combat right now. Everyone else is equal. Whoever stabs first wins. No rebounding from a troll and no recourse. Then theres the yakkity-sax running around that is incredibly annoying to deal with once the village finds a murderer, arms themselves, and people just end up dying because no one is tending the farms.

Consider another point: Something has to be done or at least thought up to solve the glut and excess of knives, but a major update won't happen for a week. I just built about ten knives in a life, taught three others the whole process who will obviously teach others. Soon there will be tons of knives and lots of pvp happening as a consequence.

Consider a third point: Implementing a backstab state would be the easiest way to solve the murdering epidemic. A backstab with a knife (tier 1 weapon), should put the victim in stasis with the knife in their body. The killer can't retrieve it. This gives the village time to recouperate and know that theres a murderer that is unarmed. Put the killer and have them literally have "red hands". Putting a knife in red just says this is a murder weapon. Putting a person in red, unarmed, puts them in a state of helplessness momentarly.

Consider a fourth point: Caring for people has been a pre-prehistorical trait. Medicine will be implemented in the game, I'm sure of it. But even herbal medicines are still prevalent today. Consider introducing a plant that when boiled makes an unreliable way to treat a person who has been stabbed. Maybe a uniform 10-25% chance of success since its a tier one medicine, since a knife stab is basically fatal.

Consider a fifth and final point: With murders shooting arrows and harming players, we should not be giving them enough stimulus as a victory. They see a neat wounded artwork, and lose their knife. As of right now, killing helpless players with no climax produces an anti-climax, but adding a lot of "artwork" and mechanics for the murderer to experience should be avoided. I'm reconsidering not adding "red hands" as a player state since people might want to see what red hands would play like...

In summation: Introducing a wounded state, where the knife or arrow gets lodged IN the victim would deter a lot of solo trolls and murderers. The attacker loses their weapon, and the victim may have a mechanic to get brought back. Introducing herbal medicine would give the wounded a chance to unrealiably get bought back and introduces a foundation for depth to go deeper in the timeline.

#2 2018-03-16 17:30:38

Dagar

Re: Adding a wounded backstab & medicine will halt murders substantially.

In principle I like that, though I have yet to murder or be murdered. One thing to consider though: In a colony not all people know all people (which imo is a flaw in how the game works right now, not necessarily a flaw of the players' interactions), so a foreigner comes, murders one of yours, one of yours murders him, but has now red hands. I am pretty sure most of the time these defenders of the colony will get seen as murderers from their own people who don't know them well enough most of the time. Voila, you have created a potential murder spree by just killing one player...
Maybe a work-around would be that you don't get red hands when killing a murderer?

#3 2018-03-16 17:42:09

jakeinmn

Dagar wrote:

In principle I like that, though I have yet to murder or be murdered. One thing to consider though: In a colony not all people know all people (which imo is a flaw in how the game works right now, not necessarily a flaw of the players' interactions), so a foreigner comes, murders one of yours, one of yours murders him, but has now red hands. I am pretty sure most of the time these defenders of the colony will get seen as murderers from their own people who don't know them well enough most of the time. Voila, you have created a potential murder spree by just killing one player...
Maybe a work-around would be that you don't get red hands when killing a murderer?

I lived to be 50+ three times today as the cities blacksmith, and each one was cut short when I was murdered with my own knives. Three for three. I produced over thirty knives I'm sure, but its going to ramp up. I'm a cause for sure, but you'll experience a murder soon enough.

I think that people will get smart when dealing with a murderer that is calm. They'll have time for a trial or questioning if a player drops a knife after a murder that says they killed them because they stole a cart or ate ten carrots in a row.

But the killing mechanic needs major attention. Should be Number 1 on the todolist that won't be implemented for another week.

I've been killed several times just due to paranoia: OMG THEY HAVE A KNIFE!!! No, Just moving it to stockpile/harvesting. No time to talk. Implementing above might solve confusion for a bit.

----

But consider this 100% legitimate life:

You spawn and grow to adulthood by yourself. You find a nearby city, walled even, and you covet what they have as you grew up with nothing. You're 100% fine with murdering everyone there (they're not your own kin), and you take it over and birth your own babies. The carrots left behind will provide for your babies, and you start a dynasty because they neglected defences. I think this is 100% reasonably justified, but the city dwellers NEED a mechanic to defend or avoid the yakkity-sax running around combat PVP shitshow.

What people suggested and what I suggested needs to promote safety in numbers. Holding a branch or a club should stun a player and cause them to drop their stuff. Throwing a stone, in mass, should allow people to stunlock and or harm a player if done rapidly in succession.

#4 2018-03-20 10:43:02

Aname

Maybe a wounding system

like first attack you get scars second attack you get wounded and third attack you die.

you can die of the wounded state if you dont do anything about it.

same with the bow first you get scars second you get wounded and third you die. but if you shoot the Arrow you wont get the Arrow back. because its way to easy to make bow and arrows.

now people need to attack 1 person 3 times to kill him and you can recover from scars if you wait 5 a 10 minutes or something like that.

but you wont recover from wounds you need to treat the wounds or you die. and you can treat scars too to recover faster.

and if you treated wounds you are back to scars.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#5 2018-03-20 12:24:20

Joriom
Website

jasonrohrer - Last Saturday at 6:49 AM
Not sure... the way murder is handled will likely be modified a bunch more in the future.

jasonrohrer - Last Wednesday at 10:42 PM
Yeah, it can't be slow TO KILL someone

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
When you see someone walking around with a loaded bow, that's when you say, WTF

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
Well, when massacres happen in real life, people are often caught by surprise and a lot of people die.
It's not like the little kids in the classroom "get wounded" and then have a chance to fight back against the maniac.

#6 2018-03-20 21:07:34

Aname

Joriom wrote:

Not sure... the way murder is handled will likely be modified a bunch more in the future.

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018
Well, when massacres happen in real life, people are often caught by surprise and a lot of people die.
It's not like the little kids in the classroom "get wounded" and then have a chance to fight back against the maniac.

I get that kids cant defend themselfs.

But adult can. If u have a full grown adult against a other adult i dont think the adult with the knife is going to win so easily with just one shitty stab.

And even little kids can pick up knives and kill fully grown adults. Thats just stupid. and elderly can kill fully grown and fit adults as well.

i mean a kid cant kill a fucking adult no matter what. a elderly person cant kill a adult with one stab.

An adult will win against a kid and a elderly person in a fight even where a knife is involved the adult can have scars or something.

but an adult against an adult is way more complex.

so i just think there has to be a wound or a defend system in the game bcuz its boring to get killed by a 10 year old kid who just picked up a knife when he was big enough to pick it up. just plain stupid.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#7 2018-03-21 05:18:13

Joriom
Website

Aname wrote:
Joriom wrote:

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018

jasonrohrer - 03/11/2018

I get that kids cant defend themselfs.

But adult can. If u have a full grown adult against a other adult i dont think the adult with the knife is going to win so easily with just one shitty stab.

And even little kids can pick up knives and kill fully grown adults. Thats just stupid. and elderly can kill fully grown and fit adults as well.

i mean a kid cant kill a fucking adult no matter what. a elderly person cant kill a adult with one stab.

An adult will win against a kid and a elderly person in a fight even where a knife is involved the adult can have scars or something.

but an adult against an adult is way more complex.

so i just think there has to be a wound or a defend system in the game bcuz its boring to get killed by a 10 year old kid who just picked up a knife when he was big enough to pick it up. just plain stupid.

I think you never met a person who was ever involved in knife fight in real life. And there is a good reason for that. Even trained martial artists give only one advice when faced with knife: DON'T try to fight. Run. (Stay only if there is anything you would risk your life for - daugher? Wife?) If enemy with knife gets close to you - no grabs, no block will help you. You're dead. Even gun won't help you if enemy is close enough already. Knife is faster, knife is deadly. In just few seconds you'll get few deadly stabs without a way to defend.

You can argue as much as you want but in real life that is true. Even well trained person has low chance of stopping a knife and one mistake will cost you life. The only reason we dont have murderers stabbing people right and left is not that its hard - it's that they are afraid of punishment.

In game there is on permanent punushment and troll will gladly take death IN GAME where they can be reborn right away for a change to "have fun" killing entrie villages. When they die - the murderous intent does not die with them. They go again and again.

#8 2018-03-21 08:16:38

EmmyGamba

Joriom wrote:

You're dead.

You'll be surprised: The survival rate of knife attacks is actually quite high. At least in my country.

Of course any expert would give to the advice to just run away. You ARE risking your life fighting someone with a knife - there's no doubt about it. But that still doesn't mean that you're definitely going to die if you do.

It takes some fast stabs to the chest for example to stun and kill someone quickly, which is not that easy to pull off as an untrained person against someone who's either panicing and arm flailing or tries to punch you. In fact, he's more like to bleed out several minutes later, after you already had to run away because help came or got hurt yourself. There are no easy quick kills with a knife unless you catch someone completely off guard (from behind for example)

Reality just isn't that simple. So why not give the game some more realistic depth by replacing "click and kill" with a more fun and balanced combat mechanic?

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-21 08:17:57)

#9 2018-03-21 10:13:44

MrFineGentleman

Perhaps instead of a wound system, a death penalty system would work better. Unlike real life, this game don't have consequence of death as one can just rebirth, but jason don't want murder spree to be to easy, gamey and easy to avoid, so why not instead have a punishment system. For example, a gallow that will ban anyone who got hanged by it from rebirth for a specific amount of time, perhaps depending on how many kills the convict have. And to avoid ban evading, make a corpse of that player when he leave which can be hanged before it turns into skeletal remains after a few minutes. This allow killing spree to happen and allow no consequences if not caught, but also make the threat of being arrested real.

Also, you most likely would die from a single stab wound in the middle age, so having a three wound system is a bit too much. A 1-3 minute bleed out(like a wolf bleeding) without early tech medicine to heal would work better, as it allows the murderer get caught more easily, allowing the victim to warn others, allowing a future where we can heal wounds, and still makes murder spree hard to deal with as the murderer would still likely get one victim before being caught like real life. Also, I think an armor system would fit the game better. Problem is that armor would likely fall into the hands of bandits as they loot their victim and the tribe becoming defenseless as they can't arm everyone

#10 2018-03-21 13:54:58

Joriom
Website

MrFineGentleman wrote:

For example, a gallow that will ban anyone who got hanged by it from rebirth for a specific amount of time, perhaps depending on how many kills the convict have.

[Suggestion] Timed penalty for mass killings - if ever implemented
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=638

#11 2018-03-21 23:36:19

Ascheen

I really like the concept the of Medicine and a wound system. If we have a wound system that causes someone to not die right away, this means we can deal with the murderhobo fairly effectively I'd at least say. The best part about that though would mean we would be going to the next stage with medicine and even furthering that we can start doing war scenarios against other civilizations. I don't know to me, that thought that there would be a large ecosystem of civilizations fighting for resources after a while is really appealing, so not dying in one hit is a step towards that.

#12 2018-03-22 03:01:21

EmmyGamba

MrFineGentleman wrote:

Also, you most likely would die from a single stab wound in the middle age

Wouldn't it be weird if there was no medical and surgical treatment of war wounds in a time period, when due to constant war with primitive weapons more stab- and cut injuries happened than in any other time of human history? No, you wouldn't just die from a single stab back then either.

If you don't believe me then you should take a look at "Blood Red Roses: The Archaeology of a Mass Grave from the Battle of Towton". It covers injuries and methods that were used to care for them within that time period. There seems to have been a fair system in place that indicates many did in fact survive injuries far worse than just "a singe stab".

Some people even got barbed arrows removed from their heads and survived.

#13 2018-03-22 04:56:33

Joriom
Website

EmmyGamba wrote:

Wouldn't it be weird if there was no medical and surgical treatment of war wounds in a time period, when due to constant war with primitive weapons more stab- and cut injuries happened than in any other time of human history? No, you wouldn't just die from a single stab back then either.

Did you know that even as far in hastory as in medieval christian crusades the best medical threatment for deep wounded knights was... purification with holly water and prayer to the gold for health? There was already some basic knowledge on how to treat wounds - close them, hide them, dont let them easily accesible - people who attempted that though were branded heretics and killed. Thats also true for many earlier religions and cults.

#14 2018-03-22 05:48:57

EmmyGamba

Joriom wrote:

people who attempted that though were branded heretics and killed. Thats also true for many earlier religions and cults.

That's not entirely true. Yes, christianity had a huge influence and diseases were seen as a punishment by god during that time. However, we're talking about wound treatment here. Which was commonly practiced and definitely nothing that would make an heretic. They even had surgeons on the battlefield during the crusades, that would stich and bandage people and apply some basic antiseptics to prevent infections.

Sure medical procedures weren't as advanced as today, but depending on your injures you still had a pretty decent chance to survive. A single stab from a knife was easily treatable.

Board footer