One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-05 05:38:33

futurebird

Expert players car challenge: is it even possible?

If 4-8 expert players all signed on to one of the more empty servers (so you all end up together) and start from nothing how far up the tech tree can you get in an hour. I know a pump is possible in a single life if you have the right people (I've seen it happen) but could you get to the car? Let's allow say ... 3 tries for a good spawn location, no looting old towns. Outside chat OK. Planning who will do what before you start OK, but you have to be born to Eve and get as far as you can before SHE dies?

I think it might be impossible. What do you think? What resources would be key? I think at least two horses would be important.

I'm not expert enough at cars do to this myself, but I'd love such a live stream.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-04-05 05:52:22

Deleted User

Re: Expert players car challenge: is it even possible?

I'd honesty like to see other people do this. I feel tol incompetent participating in a challenge like this, though.

#3 2019-04-05 05:59:25

futurebird

If anyone wants to demonstrate with me that the pump is possible I'm good for that. I could also be in charge of food. I can feed that many people especially if you are smart players who don't eat mutton pie when you are 5. Do you need sheep to make the car? Hmm could free range work? What can be skipped?

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-04-05 06:07:01

Tarr
Banned

You can definitely get all the newcomen pump stuff done in an Eve camp. Me and LostScholar over at twitch (cool guy if you've never seen him stream) had a quad camp where I got the newcomen attachments done Gen 1 while him and the others brought stuff like iron, set up the farms, and got the sheep pen done.

The big hurdle is just collecting all the iron an finding a spot to live. Other than that it's not that hard to climb most of the tech tree quickly.

So is it possible to make a car from scratch as Eve? Probably not but as the kid of the Eve with enough people focusing on gathering or some good luck it's potentially possible.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-04-05 06:31:14

BladeWoods

I actually think it would be possible for 4 coordinated experts to do.

It would be key to spawn in a good starting location. Can't waste anytime finding one. A large grassland with plenty of branches and decent berry bushes, swamp for clay, but also a nearby jungle with enough bananas to feed you for the hour, maybe a swamp with lots of eggs could also work, and nearby iron/iron vein. Don't waste any time farming. I don't think horses are needed. Some luck needed with iron vein. Some ground iron and a lucky vein could give you all the iron you need.

Initial Plan:
Each person making a basket the first thing. One guy goes out to find iron immediately. One guy gets adobe and clay, makes 3 kilns, an oven, and clay for the plates and bowls. The other two get milkweed. One of the two milkweeders makes a snare and hunts a rabbit immediately. Other guy makes the bow drill and hatchet. Fetch pump beam kits for all your branch and kindling needs.

Probably worth it for someone to hunt for seal skin and make seal skin coats.
I'm too lazy to plan more than that, but try to figure out things like exactly how much rope you'll need, exactly how much iron you'll need, etc. And gather/make all those things ahead of time so you're not stuck waiting on something.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-04-05 06:46:27)

#6 2019-04-05 12:32:36

futurebird

Are there any volunteers? I think a challenge like this could be really educational to watch, you always learn a lot when a game is pushed to the extreme. I'm thinking there may be factor and bottle necks that no one really thinks about that this could expose.

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-04-05 12:54:33

Spoonwood

I made a newcomen atmospheric core by myself starting from the tutorial area on server12 the other day and the server might not have reset it yet (did I see you there in LowImpact's town the other day?  I asked you if you had seen the bears, if it was you).  So, a pump definitely is achievable for quad Eves to do this.  But, why would you make a pump in such a scenario? 

Alright, so the pump is for the car?  Maybe that's faster, I guess I'll assume it is, but if you're not farming, I'm not even sure it's necessary.   If you're just doing tech, a pond, a shallow well, and a deep well combined I think have over 20 buckets of water on average.  I don't think it's that many for a car assuming no farming or water used cooking, on average.  I know for sure that with enough ponds and using water regeneration to your advantage, a pump is not necessary to make a diesel engine.  Anyways, a substantial hang up for a car I think would be getting the oil up in time... unless an unpowered car counts.

The educational value of this I'm also not so sure of, I mean with respect to solid play in the game, because it pretty much won't do much food wise, and having a good variety of food via farming helps when settlements last for a substantial amount of time.  It sounds more like a variant.  That said, trying to make a car as quad Eves might come as fun.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-05 12:56:10)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-04-05 13:02:21

futurebird

Making the pump obviously isn’t required for the car I was thinking of them as separate challengs

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-04-05 14:14:48

Tarr
Banned

I mean the pump is definitely possible in an Eve camp. Like that is something I can likely do solo with the only issue being have to clean out a deep well to install it.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-04-05 14:43:46

Thaulos

Hardest part of having a pump on eve camp is the need to empty out the well twice.

#11 2019-04-05 17:46:09

BladeWoods

I would volunteer

#12 2019-04-06 06:03:24

pein

me, mirelli and turnip made a pseudo eve run and my last girl thought is an old city
we had pen, smithy, ,tons of iron, i got 3 packs and then made a pen, we had horse and few carts
i can make a car quite fast if all attachments done, and the setup is the one i prefer,   but then someone got to take care of rubber, that part is also like half a life, from buckets so all the tools needed first, then buckets, carts and cistern, kindling
i mean is just much more convenient and logical to do all the tools, make a pen and a mine
then gather iron, make new kilns if they plant shit around it
make the newcommen, cistern, attachments
i didn't really smithed newcommen parts successful with others
alone takes like 90 min to do a car, after you got a decent setup but also like 40 min for tools, and then some for iron gathering
it's possible but the part you ignore is the part that allows others to survive in meantime, and then again, why would you do a car if the lienage dies out?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer