One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-16 14:34:42

Babsy

[GUIDE] CARE VS CARELESS - "RULES" (FOR NEWBIES)

[GUIDE] CARE VS CARELESS - "RULES" (FOR NEWBIES)
For those who like to learn some "rules" outside the game, to create a sustainable society. If you care to help with this list, please leave a comment.
Thank you all for your input!

G E N E R A L

DON'T (crucial):
- Don't have more babies then your community can sustain. Better keep as many children as you can clothe, else they will be a huge drain on your food supply. Personally i think it's better to let babies starve vs all starve. However there should be a new generation before you die of old age.
- When wearing clothing, make sure not to die on farm plots or pile of bones. -> Clothing gets deleted. [need confirmation!]
- Take your cloths off in case you know that you will die soon and there are no people around or you know that you are on a low populated
  server. Eventually they will get deleted when your bones disappear. [does someone know how long this takes?]

DO (courtesy):
- Ask for a job / ask if you can do a specific job that you want to learn.
- New children should not be assigned jobs that send them out into the wilderness due to low food meter.
- When you explore, carry some food with you.
- Cloth people first, before making more then two backpacks. You will save a tonne of food and it will be easier to get more hunters with it, who will bring back even more food and fur.
- Keep tools at the areas where they belong (hammers, stones, hatchets, etc).
- Clean up after yourself -> Don't litter.
- If you're old, and there's people around, use the hard-earned power of your wisdom and teach! There is a power that only the elderly have in this game, and it is crucial beyond measure. It's the ability to write long sentences.

F A R M I N G

DON'T (crucial):
- Don't empty out the pond. -> It won't refill, unless you add water to it.
- Don't pick all carrots from farm. -> Keep some for seeds (usually top row).
- Don't leave any carrots, that are not intended for seeds. -> Harvest all carrots intended for consumption, else you will end up with too many seeds and lose the tilled rows.
- Never pick milkweed without seed pods. -> It won't regrow flowering or in normal state, making it a waste of the soil it was planted in.
- Don't eat berries unless in dire need and try eat from a bush that is already missing some. -> A bowl can only be filled from a full bush and is used in composting.
- Don't pick the last berry from a domesticated berry tree, unless you plan to water it to prevent it from dying. -> The bush will not regrow until the bush is picked clean and then watered. An empty bush will eventually die, making it a waste of the soil it was planted in. (Wild berry bushes are always going to regrow berries, one berry every 10 mins, even if you take all.)
- Don't start a wheat farm near the carrot farm. -> Make sure that you use different ponds to prevent the carrot farm from drying out.
- Don't harvest the last wheat. Ripe wheat is the only source of seeds.

DO (courtesy):
- Leave baskets with carrots around on the floor for those with low food meter. If all is organized in wagons / storages, it takes too long to grab a bite of food, leading to unnecessary deaths.
- Eat from the baskets. -> If someone is already farming, don't take the carrots off the farmland.
- Pick all domestic berry trees with a bowl and then water them, so they grow back as soon as possible.
- When you are old and the last of your kind, leave the farm "dry seeded with carrots" so the next person has an easy start
  (If you water all, the soil will disappear after the carrots turn to seed. The seeds disappear over time, so no farm is left at all.) Leave filled water containers nearby and lots of baskets full of carrots, if you can manage it of course.

T O O L S

DON'T (crucial):
- Don't make too many of the same tools. -> See / ask what is needed.

DO (courtesy):
- Learn how to make the 3 basic rope tools at the beginning, a hatchet, fire bow drill and a snare. If you have these, it's easy to sustain yourself and get fully kitted along with caring for others.

W O O D C U T T I N G

DON'T (crucial):
- Never chop useful trees. -> Prevent depletion. For firewood, look for pines and swampland trees.

P O T T E R Y / B L A C K S M I T H

DO (courtesy):
- Leave round stone at the pottery / blacksmith. Needed for bowls, plates and iron working.

C O O K I N G

DON'T (crucial):
- Never take berries for cooking. -> They are used for making compost.

DO (courtesy):
- Leave a sharp stone and a round stone in the kitchen. The cook needs this for your pies.
- Leave hatchet at the fire.
- Bring your empty plates back to the kitchen if possible.

T R A P P I N G / H U N T I N G

DON'T (crucial):
- Don't snare a rabbit hole without babies. -> Else the rabbits won't come back, leaving the hole empty forever.
- Don't hunt geese for food. -> They are a non renewable resource, and should only be used for smithing where they're necessary.

T A I L O R

DO (courtesy):
- Make water pouches when in demand. Pants for everyone, if thread is a limiting factor you can start with hats or coats instead of pants.
- First make only two backpacks, for the hunter / trapper and scout. Cloth people first before making more backpacks. You will save a tonne of food and it will be easier to get more hunters with it, who will bring back even more food and fur.

F L O O R L A Y E R

DO (courtesy):
- Don't put floors down randomly. Make sure to discuss your plans.
- Floor working spaces first (keep room open for a fire pit, where needed).
- Put down a storage area, paths last.
- Leave room for wall placements.

W A L L P L A C E R

DO (courtesy):
- Don't put walls down randomly. Make sure to discuss your plans.
- Always leave four door entries (time is precious, can't walk around buildings all the time!).
- Don't make working spaces too small. Cooks for example need a lot of room to make pies.

S U G G E S T I O N

Ideally one should have several (at least two) jobs during a lifetime to avoid boredom.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the kids do the farming, so they are always close to the food source (low food meter). Then they can move on to the next craft while in their prime. If need be learning from or teaching someone before they are too old.

That way one can always be assured someone will take care of farming, while expanding their own knowledge.

brianj wrote:

THE FOUR LAWS

NEVER VIOLATE
EVEN TO SURVIVE

1. ONLY PICK FRUITING MILKWEED
    FRUITING MILKWEED regrows and gives seeds

2. NEVER EMPTY PONDS
    Ponds refill if not DRY. Refill ponds if dry.

3. ONLY HUNT FAMILY ANIMALS
    Lone animals don't respawn. Family animals come back.

4. DON'T PLANT BERRY BUSHES
    Berry bushes waste fertile soil. Only plant if composting

THE COROLLARY:
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN THE LAWS

L I N K S

Wiki https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com
Starting Guide https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Starting_Guide
Crafting reference for One Hour One Life https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech

CREDITS: Read the comments to see who helped me with this list.

Last edited by Babsy (2018-03-26 09:31:03)

#2 2018-03-16 15:10:15

ETK03

Re: [GUIDE] CARE VS CARELESS - "RULES" (FOR NEWBIES)

Don't take the last berry off of a domestic gooseberry bush.
If someone is already farming, don't take the carrots off the farmland.
Don't chop down trees that give branches.

#3 2018-03-16 15:27:36

The Person In Yellow

It seems like you need a full berry bush to get a bowl full of berries now, which somewhat hinders the idea of (kind of) infinite compost.
I don't know why you wouldn't take the last berry off the bush. you have to water domestic berry bushes when they are depleted of berries, which leads me to believe that the berries will not regrow until you water the bush.

#4 2018-03-16 15:29:47

Fencce7

Babsy wrote:

(if you water all, the soil will disappear after the carrots turn to seed):(

Wait, what?
I didn't get this one.
A guy said something about this a while ago, when I was watering the seeded soil. I asked what he ment, but he didn't specify.
When it seeds, the soil dissapears, we all know that.
But.
How else do you grow carrots without watering them?
How else do you get seeds, without first growing the carrots?
Is there a way to get seeds without destroying the soil?
If not - then why was that point even made, seems obvious for whoever have been doing farming.

#5 2018-03-16 15:31:30

Hiker170

Other advice. I personally wanna give.
Not only will the soil disappear but seeded carrots disappear as well so you lose 10 seeds and the soil. Along with that you need a whole berry bush now for a bowl of berries and not only four.

Ask if you can work on the farm don't just assume, if they haven't given you a job don't mess with the guy who is creating your food, otherwise you are very likely to die. Through murder or lack of food in future. You are better off hunting rabbits no body will stop you and you will learn where berry bushes are along with what the area is like around you.

Carry some food with you, even if you are just a child carry that berry and use the time while you wait til it drains so you can fill youself as much as possible to explore.

You should look at keeping as many children as you can clothe, if you can't clothe them they will be a huge drain on your food supply.

Learn how to make the 3 basic rope tools at the beginning, an axe, fire bow drill and a snare. If you have these its easy to sustain yourself and get fully kitted along with caring for others. BUT:

Don't just aim for backpacks after hunting rabbits, they are such a waste in an expanding population with a lack of clothing. Better off giving people pants, and a hat. You will save a tonne of food and will get more hunters with it who wil bring back even more food and fur.

Last edited by Hiker170 (2018-03-16 15:35:03)

#6 2018-03-16 15:32:12

The Person In Yellow

Fencce7 wrote:
Babsy wrote:

Wait, what?
I didn't get this one.
A guy said something about this a while ago, when I was watering the seeded soil. I asked what he ment, but he didn't specify.
But.
If not - then why was that point even made, seems obvious for whoever have been doing farming.

if there is no one left then leaving planted but unwatered seeds helps anyone else who manages to find the area
Doing this will not provide seeds or carrots only preparation for the next people that come.

#7 2018-03-16 15:58:12

asterlea

The Person In Yellow wrote:

It seems like you need a full berry bush to get a bowl full of berries now, which somewhat hinders the idea of (kind of) infinite compost.
I don't know why you wouldn't take the last berry off the bush. you have to water domestic berry bushes when they are depleted of berries, which leads me to believe that the berries will not regrow until you water the bush.

Yeah, berries will not regrow until the bush is picked clean and then watered, so the best thing if you pick any is to pick them all and then water so they grow back as soon as possible. However, if you can't or won't water it after you pick the last one, then it's best to leave one on because an empty bush that's not watered will eventually die, making it a waste of the soil it was planted in and requiring steel tools to remove.

Last edited by asterlea (2018-03-16 15:58:38)

#8 2018-03-16 16:01:10

Left4twenty

ETK03 wrote:

Don't take the last berry off of a domestic gooseberry bush.

But the bush is useless until the berry is picked.  The proper rule should be don't pick it if you don't i tend to water it

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#9 2018-03-16 16:11:17

NoctiMomma

Also:

Dont:
* take tools from the areas where they belong (hammers, stones, hatchets, etc)
* litter

Always:
* leave a sharp stone and a round stone in the kitchen. The cook needs this for your pies.
* leave round stone at the blacksmith / pottery. Needed for bowls, plates and iron working
* leave hatchet at the fire
* bring your empty plates back to the kitchen if possible

#10 2018-03-16 18:07:24

Babsy

ETK03 wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by this. Don't all trees give something useful and should we be careful to cut all? Which trees are best to chop?

Last edited by Babsy (2018-03-16 19:07:05)

#11 2018-03-16 18:11:38

Dagar

Babsy wrote:
ETK03 wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by this. Don't all trees give something useful and should we be careful to cut all? Which trees are best to chop?

Chop down far away trees or ones you have many of.

#12 2018-03-16 19:06:30

evan.woods

Babsy wrote:
ETK03 wrote:

The swamp trees seem pretty useless. Added bonus: some don't give a butt log you have to deal with, so no need to have these laying about. So if you just want firewood, the swamp trees are the way to go, I think.

Last edited by evan.woods (2018-03-16 19:10:16)

#13 2018-03-16 19:45:13

Go! Bwah!

Fencce7 wrote:
Babsy wrote:

Wait, what?
I didn't get this one.
But.

He was talking about the case where you're about to die and leave an abandoned farm for the next person to come along.  Dry-seed so that it's easy to start up, but don't water, die, and then have the whole farm go to seed.

I'll even leave filled water containers nearby, if I can manage it.  And lots of baskets full of carrots, of course :-)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#14 2018-03-16 19:56:28

DragonLily

see some people are arguing about it but the better solution would be to amend it to : don't pick off the last berry on a domestic bush unless you plan on sticking around to water it.

#15 2018-03-16 22:00:05

Casdir

Might want to add that wild berry bushes are always going to regrow berries, even if you take all the berries. (one berry every 10mins.)

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-16 22:00:36)

#16 2018-03-16 22:40:55

Babsy

Hiker170 wrote:

Learn how to make the 3 basic rope tools at the beginning, an axe, fire bow drill and a snare. If you have these its easy to sustain yourself and get fully kitted along with caring for others.

How to make an axe? I only find steel axe on the wiki.

#17 2018-03-16 22:43:37

NoctiMomma

Babsy wrote:
Hiker170 wrote:

Learn how to make the 3 basic rope tools at the beginning, an axe, fire bow drill and a snare. If you have these its easy to sustain yourself and get fully kitted along with caring for others.

How to make an axe? I only find steel axe on the wiki.

He meant hatchet, not axe.
Sharp stone, rope and short shaft make a hatchet.
Makes kindle for the fire

Last edited by NoctiMomma (2018-03-16 22:44:01)

#18 2018-03-16 23:11:52

Joriom
Website

First of all, I don't like that way you structured the list. "DONT: 1) ... 2)... 3)..." can easily be missread if someone missed the "DONT" - and he will basically proceed to DO all those things. For the sake of making sure idiots read that correctly you could have used:  "DONT:  1) DONT x 2) DONT y 3) DONT z" etc. And yes - IMHO most of the current RL world population is idiots who deserve nothing but bullet.

Not to the points:

Babsy wrote:

DON'T (crucial):
- Eat berries in case of other food source (or leave at least 4 berries, so a bowl can be filled). -> Used in composting and cooking.

W O O D C U T T I N G DON'T (crucial):
- Chop down all trees. -> Prevent depletion. Chop down far away trees or ones you have many of. For firewood, the swamp trees seem best. Added bonus: some don't give a butt log you have to deal with.

C O O K I N G DON'T (crucial):
- Take all the berries for cooking. -> Make sure some are used for making compost.

H U N T I N G DON'T (crucial):
- Snare a rabbit hole without babies. -> Rabbits won't come back. [need confirmation]

Now you need full bush of 6 berries - so eat NONE of them - or if in dire situation - try to eat from bush that is already missing some.

Never chop usefull trees. Your camp will expand faster than you think and you will need those trees sooner or later. Look for pines and swampland trees. Also: you have something inverted with butt logs - they are the most usefull part of the tree. You need them for carts, buckets, wooden floors, etc.

Taking berries for cooking is a crime. ALWAYS. Just dont do that or you'll get stabbed. Berries are for compost. Not for pies. Go get them rabbits/carrots if you really need to kill your village with pies.

Snared rabbits without family do not come back. You're left with abandoned rabbit hole. Thats confirmed.

#19 2018-03-17 09:10:49

Fencce7

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Fencce7 wrote:
Babsy wrote:

Wait, what?
I didn't get this one.
But.

He was talking about the case where you're about to die and leave an abandoned farm for the next person to come along.  Dry-seed so that it's easy to start up, but don't water, die, and then have the whole farm go to seed.

I'll even leave filled water containers nearby, if I can manage it.  And lots of baskets full of carrots, of course :-)

Ooow. Thaank you, that made much more sense.

#20 2018-03-17 11:07:02

Tebe

Yeah, it's gotten now to where a plot of un-watered carrot seeds is an incredibly valuable thing. If a farmer tending the crop isn't watering seeds, don't take it on to do this for him - ESPECIALLY if there are lots of carrots in baskets. You're doing no favors! The harvest has become a delicate dance that needs constant vigilance. Definitely, if you're the last person in a settlement, one of the best things you can do is seed the farm without watering it, so that future generations may come across it and have a huge leg-up in their brief lifetime.

I want to  mention something about old age. When you reach the elderly stage, old and hunched and wrinkled, with a tiny dwindling childlike hunger meter, it might seem so sad, you might feel useless, and it might make sense to help tend the local duties with the children.

But there is a power that only the elderly have in this game, and it is crucial beyond measure. It's the ability to write long sentences. The job of the elderly is to teach. If you're in a dense village, and you're in your final years, the best way you can use your dying time is to gather where the density is highest, especially around a fire where children are being reared. It may seem shocking, but give them your clothes while you can. You don't need them anymore, and they need them the most. They have nothing to do but sit and wait and be fed. You have nothing to do but teach. So use your power of long sentences and pass on the knowledge to the children, many of whom may in fact be actual (newb)orns in this little world.

If you're old, and there's people around, use the hard-earned power of your wisdom and teach!

Last edited by Tebe (2018-03-17 11:10:10)

#21 2018-03-17 13:19:04

Babsy

Thank you all for your input, I've integrated your tips into the list. I already learned from it! big_smile

Last edited by Babsy (2018-03-17 15:46:58)

#22 2018-03-17 16:06:52

Babsy

brianj wrote:

THE FOUR LAWS

NEVER VIOLATE
EVEN TO SURVIVE

1. ONLY PICK FRUITING MILKWEED
    FRUITING MILKWEED regrows and gives seeds

2. NEVER EMPTY PONDS
    Ponds refill if not DRY. Refill ponds if dry.

3. ONLY HUNT FAMILY ANIMALS
    Lone animals don't respawn. Family animals come back.

4. DON'T PLANT BERRY BUSHES
    Berry bushes waste fertile soil. Only plant if composting

THE COROLLARY:
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN THE LAWS

#23 2018-03-19 12:20:29

Babsy

Updated with more professions.

PROFESSIONS / JOBS REFERENCE (in logical steps)
I have started a list of the professions (jobs) in some sort of logical order from when you build a base from scratch, including temporary jobs and the ones that will become full time eventually. Link: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 4117#p4117

#24 2018-03-19 12:31:07

Babsy

Kazetsukai wrote:

I have been working on a crafting reference site to help myself see how the various items and recipes work. I have a script to pull the latest data on the game, so I should be able to keep this up to date with new recipes as Jason adds them.

ryanb has added tech trees to the objects

You can now click the tech tree icon to see a much better overview of how to make something
Check it out here: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#6 … /tech-tree

If you are ok with recipe spoilers, check it out here.

This is a nice addition to the wiki, link here: https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com

#25 2018-03-19 13:43:03

Babsy

Twinsen wrote:
bread_lord wrote:

...I will do my best to maintain it (especially as new information and content patches are made available) it is of course free to be edited and amended by the community as desired.

https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Starting_Guide

A very nice guide indeed but would you please mention more about milkweed? We need to stop people from picking unfruited milkweed.

To give credit for adding a link to my guide.

Board footer