One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-04 00:53:57

antking:]#

biome project

I think that if this were to happen we would get all what Jason wants at the moment....

what I envision is that biomes will be huge! like small enough to be traversed by foot in a life time but big enough to make the feel that where ever you go it will always be grassland or badlands...

Eves would be spawned in these large biomes in hopes that they will colonize it, this would be a gigantic over haul as every biome should be independent that the people in each biome can live without contact to other biomes.... a biome dependency, but for the people in that specific biome would have to interact with other biomes if they wished  to rise up in the teck tree.

Now you might be wondering why doesn't an eve just travel to a tundra if she likes that biome more? well that's where individuality comes in...  your right hand corner tab will tell what biome specific recipes their are, so some family from a tundra wouldn't have this tab popping up they whet to a grasslands and vise versa. this will deeply encourage trade between biome as each biome family will need to work together to reach higher and higher in the teck tree.

now Jason also wanted wars having biome specific regions will encourage this as a plains family might refuse to trade with a tundra family because of old prejudices… so then the tundra family might
A: try to break old hates
B: steel what is needed

if they choose B I'm confident that would result in wars as families with the most power should realize "why trade when I could take?" which in turn might cause weaker families to unite....

This will be better if every big biome had its own family....
also make the map smaller

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-04-04 01:03:34

Booklat1

Re: biome project

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2209

i like the idea of bigger, slightly more viable biomes btw.

some biomes should remain extreme, but few more combos should get some incentive.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-04-04 01:05:52)

#3 2019-04-04 01:29:21

Guppy

I really like the idea, but how would you fix problems such as: No badlands nearby because biomes are so big, so eve camps wont ever get iron, etc?

#4 2019-04-04 01:38:12

Guppy wrote:

I really like the idea, but how would you fix problems such as: No badlands nearby because biomes are so big, so eve camps wont ever get iron, etc?

that's why every biome need to able to house people independently… having unique recipes that are individualize to the people that live their... such as a bone arrow for the plains and a harpoon for the tundra... and as I stated on top biomes will have to work together for them to advance.... in the teck tree

#5 2019-04-04 02:03:47

Jk Howling

antking:]# wrote:
Guppy wrote:

that's why every biome need to able to house people independently… having unique recipes that are individualize to the people that live their... such as a bone arrow for the plains and a harpoon for the tundra... and as I stated on top biomes will have to work together for them to advance.... in the teck tree

Jason already answered you why this wouldn't work. We're talking about dozens of new items- items that have taken him, as the sole and only developer of this game, months to include to the point we're at now.

It'd take a LOT of time to give every single biome a viable variation of necessary items. It's not a simple "two click, new item!" process my dude. He's the only one doing this. Having to make 6 variations of every necessary item for survival in this game would take much, much too long- and require more work than I'd imagine he'd like to put forward into this single concept.

As much as I like the idea, it's too big for one person.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-04-04 02:04:06)

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2019-04-04 02:31:57

Monolith_Rans

Since when does jason want wars?

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#7 2019-04-04 02:33:50

Monolith_Rans

When people say, Jason wants this or Jason wants that, it's like saying, "God commands it."  Jason wants us to do what we do within his constraints.  He wants wars if we want wars, and we don't.  I'm just trying to provide for my fam.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#8 2019-04-04 02:38:19

DestinyCall

Monolith_Rans wrote:

Since when does jason want wars?

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5806

#9 2019-04-04 03:04:10

GreatShawn

Aha! I was thinking of bigger biomes too! antking can u read my mind or something?

#10 2019-04-04 05:02:50

pedrito confesiones

i think jason should add super rare high tier biomes this biomes should be super rare and have unique resources far enough so people can trade their rare resources to other towns

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#11 2019-04-04 06:07:17

DestinyCall

pedrito confesiones wrote:

i think jason should add super rare high tier biomes this biomes should be super rare and have unique resources far enough so people can trade their rare resources to other towns

I've given this some thought and I think rarity and distance alone are not enough to stimulate trade between settlements.   If you don't have enough iron, you do not travel to a town with iron and try to set-up a trade route.  You go looking for an unused iron deposit.   

If there are super rare biomes that have a limited supply of precious resources, you won't go to some other town and ask them for those rare resources in trade.  They will never give them to you.   Instead, you will just go hunting for the super rare biome and collect the resources directly.   I think there needs to be some kind of a restriction that prevents rapid exploitation.   I'm thinking something like the iron mine or oil rig.   You could find the rare biome, but to take full advantage, you (or someone else) needs to set-up shop at that location and work to extract the riches.   If you work at it long enough,  you will have more than you will ever need.   At that point ... it becomes a valid trade commodity.   You have enough so you don't need to keep it all for yourself.    But other towns or villages might not have access to the same resources, so they would be interested in trade for what you have.   And they probably have other rare resources that YOU might need. 

I think this would start as a main village creating specialized outposts at the harvesting location.  If the harvesting process required time and labor, it would also require people to remain far from the main village for an extended period of time.   This would be the start of a small camp that might eventually grow into a decent sized satellite village.   Later on, you might start to encounter visitors from unrelated towns, hunting for rare resources and looking to trade their own goods.    At this point, you might need to worry about theft.    If you wanted to restrict access to the resource, you could even make a wall around the biome to prevent other people from harvesting from it without permission, although that would introduce its own set of problems.   

Since long-distance travel is currently very difficult and the distance between Eve spawns is pretty large, I doubt that many towns would need to deal with this kind of situation very often.  But I do think that there would be a tendency for new villages to develop around the special resources if they required people to remain close by to continue harvesting.  This would encourage the development of unique groups.   And it would encourage the beginnings of trade between the main village and outpost villages.    The outposts would have rare resources that require advanced tech to refine them into usable products.  The main village has the infrastructure and a plentiful supply of tools and other basic resources, but needs the rare resources available at the outpost.   It would encourage long-distance travel and road-building.

#12 2019-04-04 12:18:18

breezeknight

Guppy wrote:

yes !

that would indeed make trade a thing, though the travel between is still a huge problem,
well, a plane which could hold cargo would bridge that oc

i would love to have way diverse options to crafting & tools, clothing & even food
that way, different biomes would make different cultures

i would also like to have per biome different sets of graphical designs, appliable to things

but will Jason implement such ideas ? hmm

Jk Howling wrote:

Jason already answered you why this wouldn't work. We're talking about dozens of new items- items that have taken him, as the sole and only developer of this game, months to include to the point we're at now.

It'd take a LOT of time to give every single biome a viable variation of necessary items. It's not a simple "two click, new item!" process my dude. He's the only one doing this. Having to make 6 variations of every necessary item ...

not necessarily

it would be enough to
* code the different ressources needed
* recolor what we have already to mark the difference
glass bowls instead of clay bowls
stone knives instead of steel knives

it wouldn't even be nessary to make all of the things different,
only half of would make already a difference

it is a huge task, for sure, but not impossible
& the reward would be a way way better gameplay, cause different for every biome
& most importantly, trade would make sense
without differencies is trade a fancy free time occupation, not a necessity

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-04 12:29:56)

#13 2019-04-04 23:29:16

breezeknight wrote:
Guppy wrote:

yes !

that would indeed make trade a thing, though the travel between is still a huge problem,
well, a plane which could hold cargo would bridge that oc

i would love to have way diverse options to crafting & tools, clothing & even food
that way, different biomes would make different cultures

i would also like to have per biome different sets of graphical designs, appliable to things

but will Jason implement such ideas ? hmm

Jk Howling wrote:

It'd take a LOT of time to give every single biome a viable variation of necessary items. It's not a simple "two click, new item!" process my dude. He's the only one doing this. Having to make 6 variations of every necessary item ...

not necessarily

it would be enough to
* code the different ressources needed
* recolor what we have already to mark the difference
glass bowls instead of clay bowls
stone knives instead of steel knives

it wouldn't even be nessary to make all of the things different,
only half of would make already a difference

it is a huge task, for sure, but not impossible
& the reward would be a way way better gameplay, cause different for every biome
& most importantly, trade would make sense
without differencies is trade a fancy free time occupation, not a necessity

- - -

this is what I was exactly what I was thinking! though I'm not very good at wording my thoughts. and instead of doing all biomes at once wouldn't it just make sense to do one biome at a time? then all at once, it would still be a great upheaval but knowing Jason he has a way of working things out... at some point...

Board footer