One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-01 05:17:24

BlueDiamondAvatar

How to tell a bakery from a kitchen

With the addition of salsa, ice cream, and shrimp, it has become painfully obvious that we need a place to cook and store food that IS NOT the Bakery.

So I suggest to you, good people of OHOL, that we start building seperate rooms for cooking all the foods that use hot coals.   I've been slowly setting up "Kitchens" in many of the major towns today, but I'm not sure the idea is sticking yet.

What goes in a BAKERY?

Everything that gets cooked in an oven, and the tools to bake those things, and *nothing else*.

Ingredients that are welcome in a bakery include:  bowls of wheat, bowls of flour, buckets or bowls of water (not salt water), raw mutton (but definitely *not pork*), skinned rabbits, carrots, plucked turkeys, and bowls of butter.   Some bakers will bring in bowls of berries, but they usually use them right away, too.  So, that's it.  Don't bring in wheat sheaves that need to be threshed, turkeys that need to be plucked or rabbits that need to be skinned.

The tools for a bakery are one knife, one round stone, one sharp stone, a single stack of bowls, many plates. Servings of other foods are welcome, such as crocks of stew or bowls of ice cream, but don't try to make them in the bakery space.  That is what the kitchen is for.

My advice is that folks serve baked bread, pies, and carved turkey outside of the bakery, so that the workspace stays free for bakers to bake, and attracts slightly less drama.

What goes in a KITCHEN?
Anything to do with making ice cream, chips, salsa, french fries, ketchup, shrimp, sauerkraut, pork tacos, bean burritos, omelettes, roasted geese and roasted rabbits.  A kitchen also needs a knife, a stack of bowls, a stack of plates, four flat rocks for tortillas, the stomper and shredder for cabbage, and as many skewers as you can store without accidentally turning them into knitting needles.  Kitchens generally need more kindling than a bakery. 

From the initial experiments, a kitchen can be useful for storing all of these ingredients in a central location, but you probably want to focus on cooking only one or two types of food at a time, as the cooking process for most of these foods uses a lot of tile space.  Like the bakery, once a final food is prepared, it's a good idea to go serve it someplace else in town.  Like by the eternal fire and nursery.

Ideally a person who decides to make salsa would go check out the kitchen first, figure out how many tomatoes, onions, peppers, and even bowls of salsa already exist, and then harvest those foods based on what additional ingredients they need.  Right now people are growing excess amounts of all three of these foods just for the experience.  By looking around, I found three bowls of salsa already made in a fairly small town that didn't have any corn tortillas produced.  Not that there's anything wrong with people experimenting with a new part of the game, but this kind of clutter making is not sustainable in the longer term.  And hey, sounds like your time might be better spent figuring out how to make chips instead of salsa.   

So what do you think?  Any other strategies for dealing with the extra clutter our new foods are making?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#2 2019-04-01 05:23:50

OminousBladeBlank

Re: How to tell a bakery from a kitchen

You know what pisses me off as a baker? Why is it rather common for pens to have a transfer box breaking up the pen that can be accessed from within and outside of the pen, but bakeries almost never have a box like that. I know we all hate people feeding babies in the bakery, so why not put baskets of pies in an external facing box that is accessible from within the bakery? Makes sense to me. Same could go for a kitchen.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#3 2019-04-01 07:08:24

pein

what is a bakery: the place where all storage goes so the 47 bakers can put pies in baskets in chest in corners
what is a kitchen: lots of boards and lots of stuff which never gets cooked while the farm is overextended on each side

to be honest palm oil also goes to kitchen especially now
so that's why sulfur and rubber too, i generally make new oven if i see a jungle near a desert with a few hot springs but people don't really do rubber

forge always needs more kindling and bakery before sheep is unnecessary luxury, same for stew before axe
if you want to do pies, at least make some extra plates, bowls, get wild wheat and bake baskets and bread

carrot pies are fine as carrot is fast to produce if people get soil
but you don't need more than 2 bowls of seed and you don't need 11 tiles of carrot, 2 tiles but every 5 minutes is enough

don't plant stew plants near berries!
take it outside with plenty free space around for those shitty beans

i think that either new foods need buff ( limestone is like iron, so should use less of it), shovel needs buff as potatoes are still bad
or this raw foods need some alternate uses

pens are portable if made of adobe base or bell base
rooms are not
people tend to make rooms around a random oven and generally they don't gather resources for it, but make double walls right away

the pen transfer boxes were my idea, and did a lot of them before they could be chopped, now i make them again, but rather chests so people still don't drag em away

is so hard to build stuff most of times, as the priorities are wrong for people
first of all you need a pen and you need boards around farm
then you need to gather the resources en mass and then make rooms
now they just make rooms before pens and they do it while you smiting alone with no branches around

my new design is a pen which is a above a bakery, the middle wall is full wall allowing to make a 5x5 or 7x7 bakery
and the top is a 5x5 pen, if i do half walls people tend to make full walls with my resources so either i move out a bit or do it step by step not letting anyone mess around

now that i think about it, spring doors might block animals? i mean there is only like 2 tiles distance you can step and back, before the door closes
so if a sheep is moved to tile an open door gives 3 lines , and sheep moves each 6 sec (might have changed cause i remembered 10x3) so they might not get out, gotta test it, if you don't have moufon then doesn't matter anyway as long as it's not the last one
if you got a pen door on side, then possible spots to move are only 2 directions, and a fence inside pen can be useful(if is like 7x7 not really for 5x5)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-04-01 07:28:47

Psykout

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

You know what pisses me off as a baker? Why is it rather common for pens to have a transfer box breaking up the pen that can be accessed from within and outside of the pen, but bakeries almost never have a box like that. I know we all hate people feeding babies in the bakery, so why not put baskets of pies in an external facing box that is accessible from within the bakery? Makes sense to me. Same could go for a kitchen.

I understand what you mean by this. I have added "porch" areas to store the food, but it still doesn't fully tackle the issue. Imagine a restaurant. People don't eat in the kitchen, they eat on the dining room floor. In this setting, it would be a mess hall. We don't make rooms just to store food. Not the nursery, not the place with an eternal baby warming fire, but somewhere adults go to eat, yum and load their packs, that is NOT inside where you create the food, and not just where boxes border the room to block off, although that could work. But a room that has storage for every food type created in the town, centralized. Right now, pies are over here, stew over there, maybe different pies are over here, it just  spreads and sprawls out.

#5 2019-04-01 18:33:53

BlueDiamondAvatar

Psykout wrote:
OminousBladeBlank wrote:

I understand what you mean by this. I have added "porch" areas to store the food, but it still doesn't fully tackle the issue. Imagine a restaurant. People don't eat in the kitchen, they eat on the dining room floor. In this setting, it would be a mess hall. We don't make rooms just to store food. Not the nursery, not the place with an eternal baby warming fire, but somewhere adults go to eat, yum and load their packs, that is NOT inside where you create the food, and not just where boxes border the room to block off, although that could work. But a room that has storage for every food type created in the town, centralized. Right now, pies are over here, stew over there, maybe different pies are over here, it just  spreads and sprawls out.

I completely agree with both of you, storage is much more important than walls for either a bakery or a kitchen.  The ability to pass foods out and supplies in is far better than the potential to someday maybe get a small heat bonus IF you can convince everyone to leave the doors closed.  At least once, I've succeeded with getting early gen builders to give up on walls and put boxes around the bakery instead. I wish it were more common than the pointless half-finished walls you see going up.

I also agree with the need for a serving area.  As I was writing this up, I started thinking about it as a "great hall" where food is served.  I think it makes sense to combine it with the eternal fire and nursery, because mamas working on their yum bonus for fertility are one of the key customers for a place that serves many different foods.  But you probably want it to be a pretty big space with enough storage for both the stored foods and the baby clothing bins.  Last time I was there, the bell town had a big open space with plenty of boxes that was roughly food served on the left, and babies clothed on the right.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#6 2019-04-01 18:38:08

pein

south side of buildings should be chests, every time! make it meta

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-04-01 18:57:12

DestinyCall

pein wrote:

south side of buildings should be chests, every time! make it meta

This would also decrease the ability to grief buildings by trapping everyone behind a locked door.   Boxes are easy to turn into sledges and move them out of the way.

#8 2019-04-01 19:26:40

Tarr
Banned

Yes, basically buildings should either have a side of the building that is a line of boxes or left completely open. The heat bonus you get for having a completely closed room is so minuscule that at times I'll build rooms >8x8 for the sole purpose of being a decent work space instead of trying to get a little extra warmth in a room. Even when you have an enclosed room if there's no fire in it while you work there was no reason to even enclose the room in the first place.

If you have spare steel you should always convert your doors into springy doors or create pine doors should rope be super abundant. Remember when removing locks that it's possible to blank the lock and separate the key + lock to recycle individually  instead of recycling both pieces at once thus wasting steel in the process.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-04-01 20:47:12

futurebird

pein wrote:

take it outside with plenty free space around for those shitty beans

Just put them in a bowl if you grab one by mistake. Jeeeez

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#10 2019-04-01 20:50:09

futurebird

I was born in a town and there were tomatos in the bakery and some guy insisting on making carnitas in there (WHY)

I don't think it makes sense to make icecream inside.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer