One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-27 15:18:55

futurebird

Smith tips

So, give me your smith tips. Here are mine based on what I have learned.

If you are smithing and you have pile of steel and iron don't wait for people to ask for tools. Make:
2 hoes
2 ax
2 shears
2 shovels
1 kraut board
2 froe

Don't make a knife unless there clearly isn't one. Be mindful of the blades as you make the board and shears. Consider melting some knives, if you ever see two in one place. Of course only do this if there is abundant steel and iron.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-27 15:44:42

Whatever

Re: Smith tips

No Saw? Adze?
You need these tools to make a cart, with a cart you can bring more iron to make more tools

#3 2019-03-27 15:45:43

DestinyCall

Looks like you have a double-post.

If it was me, I would probably replace the krautboard with two chisels and an extra shovel. And I would make only one extra shears.  Instead, I would make an adze and bow saw.   So my list would look like this:

2 hoes
2 axes
3 shovels
2 chisels
1 shears
2 froes
1 adze
1 bow saw

I only make a kraut board when I intend to make sauerkraut during that lifetime.  Too few people know how to use it for me to invest the iron in a tool no one will be able to use.   The extra shovel is because shovels have lower durability and break faster than other tools.   The chisels are for stone workers - handy tool, although I am not a huge fan of buildings right now.    I've never seen a bow saw or adze break, but having spares will make it easier for people to find the tools they need quickly.

Just keep in mind, to make all these tools, you need fifteen pieces of steel.  Iron stacks up to six on one tile, so you would need three tiles of unused iron to complete all these tools.

If you are the only smith in a small town with limited iron, don't use this list as a guide, because you will run out of iron before you finish making vital tools.  It assumes all tools are present and your town has an excessive iron surplus.

For smithing in an early town, the order varies depending on the needs of your village, but a typical list is something like this:

Axe
Shovel
Hoe*
Adze
Froe
Chisel
File
Bow saw
Knife**
Shears***
Replacement Axe, Shovel, Hoe
Pickaxe

*You technically don't NEED an iron hoe, since skewers work just fine, but people will start asking you immediately.
**Knife should wait until you need it for a specific task, usually sheep-tending.  Ideally you should have a backpack before you make a knife.  If no pack, put it in a box or basket near the appropriate work zone.
***If you notice that the village is close to getting sheep, make sure to make some shears and a knife, if you have not done so yet.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-27 16:00:41)

#4 2019-03-27 17:28:55

Booklat1

As an eve/eve kid you gotta do hammer and axe. Try to snick in a shovel too and you're set.

After that there'll be needs for most tools which makes it harder to choose but you've got to remember that iron veins can only be mined after hammer, axe, adze, froe, file, saw, chisel and pickaxe, 8 iron (9 with a shovel). This doesn't mean you should skip all other tools before mines, just need to make sure there's spare iron for the needed tools.

#5 2019-03-27 17:30:58

pein

Hammer
Axe
Shovel
Adze
Froe
File blank
Chisel
Get a goose, make file
Recycle chisel
Blade into saw
Pickaxe

This is 8 iron and you got ashovel for making a pen using adobe
The chisel shouldn't be damaged by that one use
Now you can make a mine then do whatever the sorry, but i disagree want using the mined iron

make new tool when the old one breaks
the only time you make replacements, when you got enough iron
it still better to wait until breaks or break it
like take the axe and chop everything in one biome then start the next one, better to go further one direction so they see everything is cut over there
rather than cutting every direction some

you could make a car from the stuff people waste
bring back the tools, bring butt logs to froe not vice versa, maybe plant some pines then is fine to have them there (plant it north side, like under a desert or ice, so they wont cover or block path to important places)
saw is enough for 100 disks, that's like 20 carts and a few buckets
everybody can smith nowadays, don't make multiple of everything, it's just bad

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-03-27 23:48:16

fragilityh14

always make sure you actually know where the hammer is before you light the fire. Use a rock to make wrought iron to not waste durability. Villages need a constant supply of charcoal so keep them burning. You can conveniently fire clay before closing it for charcoal. Tell people to return broken tools.

Besides hoe, shovel, and ax I wouldn't make tools that aren't immediately needed. Those are used enough and break enough that having extras is always worthwhile.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#7 2019-03-28 01:00:05

Spoonwood

1. Make charcoal before organizing the smithing area.  Like as soon as steel or wrought iron has become the right tool and the forge fire has burned out, make charcoal.  That way you can do other things while it cooks.

2. Make sure you have everything in the right place before you light the forge.  That means that if you're heating iron, make sure your round stone (NOT the hammer, a round stone) and your flat rocks and tongs lie in the right place before lighting the forge.  If you're using a newcomen multipurpose engine, that means having steel and tongs in the right place or having other parts in the right place.  If you're making steel tool heads, make sure the hammer, the flat rocks, and the tongs lie in good spots.

3. Use sledges if using the bore or lathe.  That's the most amount of stuff you can fit in a spot and quickly take it out.  Additionally, if steel valves end up in a sledge, you should know where they lie.  The sledges can get moved away after using the bore or lathe.  Two sledges have seemed enough to me, though three possibly could come as warranted.

4. Think about vertical flat rock placement or moving the iron stack around so that your head blocking your sight isn't an issue when using the forge.  Experiment with the placement of flat rocks to see what works best.  Keep them close to the forge, but have space for a round stone/hammer depending on what you're doing, and where the iron stack sits.

5. Light the forge before lighting the hammer or roller.

6. Try to have something planned to use the forge for after the hammer or roller burns out.

7. Have as many flat rocks as iron as you can bonk out.  The tutorial area is probably NOT good for this, since I would guess that after a bit, most people can get out more than three at a time with decent organization.  For me, if I don't have six if not eight flat rocks, unless I'm making the hammer, first axe or shovel, I'm probably not doing all I can with that fire, since I've bonked out 8 iron in one fire, and probably average six or seven.

8. Setup and organize crucibles or flat rocks when charcoal gets made.

9. Have at least two kilns, if not three as soon as reasonable.  I've preferred three... though two in the tutorial area has seemed to work well enough for me.  Three kilns is one for the forge, and two for charcoal for only six steel.  Two kilns is only three steel.  One kiln and you'll probably end up waiting around a bunch instead of getting more done while the charcoal cooks.

10. Even though the number of flat rocks comes as low, practicing smithing in the tutorial area makes for a good idea.

11. Use both above and and below the newcomen multipurpose engine when using to throw things out.  Use the closest position as much as you can.

12. Hammer, Axe, Shovel, (Steel Hoe), Steel File Blank, Chisel, Steel Blade Blank, Froe, Adze, Steel File Blank, Steel File Blank, Steel File Blank, Mining Pick, Hammer.  The first two steel file blanks for a bowsaw and a knife.  The second two for shears.  The steel hoe isn't necessary, because of skewers via wild saplings or if people grow milkweed, stone hoes.  The steel file blank I like early to get the oiled file blank out of the way.  Hopefully, the goose on the first or second pond can get used for that purpose, which comes as more likely if farmers use multiple ponds to farm with (and that implies more time for water regeneration).  Get that out of the way early, since it can get messed up (e. g. someone eats the goose... I've seen it happen on someone's stream a while back).  Having a backup hammer as soon as reasonable I think good also, since you don't want a hammer to break with the forging fire running and not have anything to hit hot steel with.  An early knife could also mean early made bread, or an early cooked turkey, or even meat from a wild mouflon.

13. Prioritize firing clay over smithing projects when in doubt.  More clay plates and bowls probably work out as more important than steel tools.  Axes aren't needed for kindling, stone hoes can work (given that people plant milkweed... which can happen... I mean you can do it!), and shovels only come as needed to dig wells really, given that iron comes as a problem.  Not having enough clay bowls or plates can cause more problems than a lack of iron tools.  Though of course, you want those iron tools.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-28 01:01:34)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer