One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-18 18:14:12

futurebird

Hard Mode: Challenge for top players only

You think getting as many kills as possible in a life is hard? Making a car is hard? No, here is the hardest challenge:

Remove a row of berries from the center of a patch in a life time. Anyone who can do that is the master of this game.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-18 19:28:21

futurebird

Re: Hard Mode: Challenge for top players only

More context: In a 4th gen camp I say from the start that my life goal is to remove the middle row from a 7x6 patch of berries. There is a well on this row so it would be perfect to make more work space. 

I empty the bushes and feed sheep and make compost. I make a steak, I get the water ready. I have a shovel but I just can't click fast enough to remove a single bush. My daughter starts to help me when my nephew says "no don't remove them" and takes my steak and hides it. he can't understand why I want to do it. He proceeds to put soil on the bushes I want to remove undoing all of my work. Now I have to wait a long time for the bushes to get berries and pick them all again.

I guess he thought I was up to no good but I felt like crying because I was so close to getting it done. Other people in the village agreed with my project or didn't care. One jerk undid it all.

How do any of you remove a bush on your own? Why is it so darn hard? I did manage to remove just one after watering them all again and picking them clean with the help of another more sensible nephew.

IDK if someone is trying to do something and being open about it's probably not greifing. You don't have to help but it's a dick move to undo someone else's work.

---
omnem cibum costis

#3 2019-03-18 19:43:23

BlueDiamondAvatar

I feel your pain.

I used to try mosquito herding on a regular basis.  When it worked, it was awesome.  But most of the time it didn't work.  I'm kinda relieved that jungle living is no longer the meta, truth be told. 

I'm going to have to try this sometime...

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-03-18 19:46:57

Whatever

If you want to improve the berry farm, why not make a second one.
Search a nice place near water, maybe not too far away or next to a road?
Plan everything, make the wooden floor tiles first.
Get a horse with cart (if available) and bring a lot of dirt from the wilderness, maybe also skewers if your town is low on tools.

#5 2019-03-18 19:47:40

futurebird

I once saw an ancient stone building in the center of a town with mosquitos inside, it was 1x1 and had no door. I tip my hat to whoever pulled that off probably saved a ton of lives.

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-03-18 20:21:33

yaira

futurebird wrote:

I once saw an ancient stone building in the center of a town with mosquitos inside, it was 1x1 and had no door. I tip my hat to whoever pulled that off probably saved a ton of lives.

thats amazing is that even possible?
1x1.... i tried with adobe and stone but mosquito moves damn frequently.

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

well then I'm the master you're talking about smile
I succeed it several times. up to 7 berrybushes in one row. (actually its my job. organising a city)

you got to carry stakes in your backpack all the time. start from the edge. you dont need other ppls hand.
but only attempt 2~3 bushes at a
time.
you got to keep on eye on them and asap it languish, quickly stake them.
then you take your time to remove the bushes and axe them rightaway!!
I never got complain from others

Last edited by yaira (2019-03-18 20:27:18)

#7 2019-03-18 20:49:19

happynova

It's so hard because when it was easy griefers would go around digging up towns' entire berry fields.

Basically, people suck and that's why we can't have nice things.

Last edited by happynova (2019-03-18 20:49:34)

#8 2019-03-18 21:00:26

BladeWoods

I know your pain, you shouldn't have to wait for the bush to be languished to remove it. Missing transition?

#9 2019-03-18 21:08:04

Dodge

Yep, cant count how many times:

I get stabbed for trying to remove bushes

I remove the bushes but someone puts soil and plant new berries

They remove stakes and put soil

They insult and curse me even when i explain why i do this, because "He's removing our food REEEEEE"

But at the same time it's definitly worth it, a town with a good berry field looks a lot nicer and is a lot more practical too

I usually carry a few stakes and maybe a round stone in backpack, it could be a good strat to have also a water pouch so nobody takes the bowl of water before you can remove bush

So maybe, 2 stakes, 1 round stone and one water pouch in backpack and the shovel in hands, this way you are sure to have the tools when you need them.

#10 2019-03-18 21:13:44

pein

hahaahhahaa

i did that since the tutorial update
now im a master of it
still pisses me off when a fucking toddler dumps soil on it, gotta do it again 10 min later

mosquito walling on mass scale was done in San-cal, Cocburn family (Baker was the eve)
and then Cockburn II, Bluediamondavatar blocked some paths, i made it better- but the town shape was bad cause people were too afraid of them and i went back gen 39 only
now it wouldn't matter but back then a city on jungle was awesome

pro tip: make the board floors right away when you remove a bush, noobs plant back bushes on empty spaces
also when you dig out obstacles on early camp, first make boards then replace those stumps with floors
you can do the digging alone just be near the bush, put shovel near the target, water bush, swap for shovel and click
just don't be under the bush if you don't have to, try to be near it or above

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-03-18 23:00:41

breezeknight

yeah, been there done that, they just pile the soil on any berry bush like insane
& you need two people anyway since 2 sec is quite a time to dig a berry bush up

in one town i succeeded since a guy helped me, it was the only reasonable person there
in another town, no chance ...
those berry bush monstrosities where you are not even able to get with a bowl to the middle of it because it all is filled with bushes

- - -

#12 2019-03-18 23:19:23

Sanshuba

futurebird wrote:

More context: In a 4th gen camp I say from the start that my life goal is to remove the middle row from a 7x6 patch of berries. There is a well on this row so it would be perfect to make more work space. 

I empty the bushes and feed sheep and make compost. I make a steak, I get the water ready. I have a shovel but I just can't click fast enough to remove a single bush. My daughter starts to help me when my nephew says "no don't remove them" and takes my steak and hides it. he can't understand why I want to do it. He proceeds to put soil on the bushes I want to remove undoing all of my work. Now I have to wait a long time for the bushes to get berries and pick them all again.

I guess he thought I was up to no good but I felt like crying because I was so close to getting it done. Other people in the village agreed with my project or didn't care. One jerk undid it all.

How do any of you remove a bush on your own? Why is it so darn hard? I did manage to remove just one after watering them all again and picking them clean with the help of another more sensible nephew.

IDK if someone is trying to do something and being open about it's probably not greifing. You don't have to help but it's a dick move to undo someone else's work.

Haha, I was in this town, you got killed by a domestic boar that a guy put on pen and I that guy was your nephew, but I’m not sure, your daughter was killed by that boar as well and I was too old to have children, I think there were one fertile left, but I couldn’t find her. I think this town died because of that stupid boar.

#13 2019-03-18 23:25:10

Sanshuba

futurebird wrote:

I lived there too, they tried to put a wall around the small jungle as well, south of the village, it was small but there were about twelve mosquitoes.

#14 2019-03-18 23:44:51

futurebird

Sanshuba wrote:

Haha, I was in this town, you got killed by a domestic boar that a guy put on pen and I that guy was your nephew, but I’m not sure, your daughter was killed by that boar as well and I was too old to have children, I think there were one fertile left, but I couldn’t find her. I think this town died because of that stupid boar.

OMG my nephew was the cause of everything wrong in that life LOL.

---
omnem cibum costis

#15 2019-03-18 23:48:25

futurebird

Yup. She was killed by the boar too. OMG.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3828284

---
omnem cibum costis

#16 2019-03-18 23:50:30

futurebird

Look at my jerk nephew's last words. After getting me and my daughter killed by putting a boar in the pen... this was an early town. No one was going to make carnitas for generations.

---
omnem cibum costis

#17 2019-03-19 10:40:26

Villas

futurebird wrote:

Look at my jerk nephew's last words. After getting me and my daughter killed by putting a boar in the pen... this was an early town. No one was going to make carnitas for generations.

Well, the last fertile was his sister and died because of the boar too. He really didn`t want to see removed bushes. First time I see a boar destroying a village...

#18 2019-03-19 11:54:06

breezeknight

the funny thing is, i recall the time when digging up berry bushes was the most popular griefing method, been once to a town where one griefer did proudly dig up a huge berry bush farm all by himself, but now the opposite griefing apparently takes place, under the disguise of usefulness berry bushes are being protected against any strategic & organizational attempts to make them actually manageable

about the boar
seems to be a novelty griefing method, at first the wild piglet seems cute until it grows up & babies get killed, been twice to that room where such a piglet was set in & people didn't realise how deadly it will become soon

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-19 11:54:42)

#19 2019-03-19 17:14:21

pein

qPcP5kK.png
made this 9 tiles and got 2 mouflons

what is with people killing mouflons?

still going but they killed those too
extended the pen by attachign to left wall, also i got 4 bricks back and used 2 for the bell tower

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2019-03-19 20:31:36

futurebird

Very nice!!

Look what I did all by myself ya'll!

IOwKyUy.jpg

Last edited by futurebird (2019-03-19 20:32:03)

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer