One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-18 05:49:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

PSA: Horse carts broken, public life data offline

A client side bug with right-vs-left click has broken horsecarts, so they can't be taken off the hitching post.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town at GDC, and I don't have access to my build machines to compile a new build for all the platforms.

Thus, this will be broken all week.  I'm really sorry about this.

This also affects a basket if you make it on the Tule Reed stumps.  Take the reed bundle off the stumps before making a basket.

Also, to avoid bogging down the main web server, the public life log data has been taken offline.  I'll move it to a separate server next week.

#2 2019-03-18 07:57:47

Daffex

Re: PSA: Horse carts broken, public life data offline

And chests with lids. And fishing rod with fish. (Chest with lid cant be closed but can be used, the rod floats mid air forever)

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#3 2019-03-18 10:14:43

sigmen4020

Rail carts seem to be broken too, as it does not move when you left click it.

Also it’s just the horse carts regular riding horses seem to be working fine still.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-03-18 12:55:08

Peremptive

so, you introduced a new update, which you know means bugs most of the time, then immediately left, without being able to fix anything for a week.

I hope you mention that in your speech/presentation.

#5 2019-03-18 13:06:08

Starknight_One

We should just start calling this the 'superglue' update, since so many things seem to be glued together irrevocably at the moment... smile

#6 2019-03-18 13:15:33

sigmen4020

In another note, don't make baskets directly on the reed stumps until these problems have been fixed, cause you will never be able to retrieve the basket on the reed stumps.

#7 2019-03-18 15:03:48

CrazyEddie

Peremptive wrote:

so, you introduced a new update, which you know means bugs most of the time, then immediately left, without being able to fix anything for a week.

I hope you mention that in your speech/presentation.

I think that's a little harsh.

But tone aside, I do agree. I think Jason would do both himself and his users a favor if he planned his release schedule such that it includes potential support time immediately post-release. Dropping an update and then heading out the door is bad planning, whether you're going out to dinner or going to a conference.

#8 2019-03-18 15:16:49

ryanb
Website

Griefers are using graves to block doors since they are also unremovable with the bug. I hear the Wonlife mod doesn't have the bug so you can save the day if you have that mod.

Jason, please add a beta server where you release an update early and only push it to the public servers after it has been tested a bit. Game-breaking bugs happen way to often on the weekend which is when most people play.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#9 2019-03-18 15:44:07

Anandamide

Or even, release on Thursday or Wednesday? We arent expecting a big patch right away, but when something as important horse carts goes down, its definitely deserving of a hotfix and giving yourself a day or two to look at that would be nice.

#10 2019-03-18 17:35:13

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Actually, I've implemented a special-case work-around for this server-side.

Rolling this out now.

It is a bit inconsistent still (if you right click the cart body itself, the usual swapping behavior or removal behavior doesn't happen, and you pick up the cart----if you want to remove something, you need to click right on the item to remove).  But it is better than the cart being broken all week.

This is what my vacation is like!  :-)

I'm just one guy, Peremptive, with a lot of other stuff going on in my life, like a wife and three kids.  Please be nice.

Ryanb, this isn't a server bug, it's a client bug.

How would a roll out a buggy client to only some people?  People would have to volunteer to test it manually somehow, and then very few would.  Also, I just don't have time for that in my process.

#11 2019-03-18 17:37:22

Spoonwood

I second ryanb's suggestion.

jasonrohrer wrote:

A client side bug with right-vs-left click has broken horsecarts, so they can't be taken off the hitching post.

It's actually worse.  Horse can get rode without a cart, but even if a horsecart is not on a fence, it can't moved (or at least I saw a player on server12 try to move a horsecart not on a hitch on Saturday evening EST and it didn't work).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2019-03-18 17:40:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Cart is bugged too, will be fixed in this server work-around.

Testing fishing, it seems to work....  maybe another issue, or unrelated to this?  Please get me some more details about the fishing, and post on github.

#13 2019-03-18 17:52:51

Daffex

jasonrohrer wrote:

Cart is bugged too, will be fixed in this server work-around.

Testing fishing, it seems to work....  maybe another issue, or unrelated to this?  Please get me some more details about the fishing, and post on github.

Will do! I love to fish. Lets see what happens.

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#14 2019-03-18 17:59:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, half the servers have the fix now, and the other half are getting it.

There might be some side-effects to this fix.  I tested it quite a bit on my end, but I might have missed something....

Let me know if you run into anything weird with containers.

#15 2019-03-18 18:34:57

ryanb
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

How would a roll out a buggy client to only some people?  People would have to volunteer to test it manually somehow, and then very few would.  Also, I just don't have time for that in my process.

Doesn't the server specify which client version should be used? If someone is connected to the beta server then wouldn't it automatically update the client? I might misunderstand how this works.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#16 2019-03-19 16:48:11

sigmen4020

Just wanted to revive this thread to tell people that horse carts are still broken just in a new way. Seems that some people (including me) can only ride the horse cart and not actually get stuff out of it (left click and right click does the same thing). The weird thing is that it seems to work fine for some people, because I see people still be able to take stuff out of the horse cart.

Don't know what's going on with this.

#17 2019-03-19 17:21:31

Greep

ryanb wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Doesn't the server specify which client version should be used? If someone is connected to the beta server then wouldn't it automatically update the client? I might misunderstand how this works.

The easy way you handle this is with beta branches on steam, which all of the best indie games I can think of use (rimworld, factorio, oxygen not included, project zomboid, caves of qud, etc etc etc) big_smile

If it's too much work even then, maybe weekly updates is too optimistic?  Anyways, just a thought.

Last edited by Greep (2019-03-19 17:23:14)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#18 2019-03-19 17:35:48

DestinyCall

sigmen4020 wrote:

Just wanted to revive this thread to tell people that horse carts are still broken just in a new way. Seems that some people (including me) can only ride the horse cart and not actually get stuff out of it (left click and right click does the same thing). The weird thing is that it seems to work fine for some people, because I see people still be able to take stuff out of the horse cart.

Don't know what's going on with this.

I found that it matters WHERE you click the horse cart.  Clicking in the "basket region" works.  Clicking elsewhere on the horse cart does not work.

#19 2019-03-19 17:56:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, that's the thing with this server-side bandaid fix.  It won't be really fixed until I update the client next week.

The server-side fix can't tell if you ACTUALLY want to remove something from the cart unless you mouse-over the thing you want to remove and click that.  Otherwise, you pick up the cart.  So the old "right click body of cart to remove top item" and "right click body of cart to swap items" doesn't currently work, but only for the horsecart and rail cart.  Still currently works for other containers.

#20 2019-03-19 17:58:03

pein

also locks are broken, the same key that creates the lock and key cannot be used to remove the same lock
also i seen ? key made by a player who just attached a lock

the city had 2 locked chests and 4 locked signs, with several locks and keys so im not the only one

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2019-03-20 16:29:14

Peremptive

in this game you do two things, left click or right click, and they are borked

#22 2019-03-20 23:09:08

DestinyCall

Question - anyone else having a problem getting squash seeds after breaking open a squash?

I've noticed recently that I am not getting any seeds from squash.  I put the squash on a plate, break it with hatchet, lift it up ... no seeds.

Did something change in a recent update and I missed it or is this a bug?

#23 2019-03-20 23:14:09

Starknight_One

DestinyCall wrote:

Question - anyone else having a problem getting squash seeds after breaking open a squash?

I've noticed recently that I am not getting any seeds from squash.  I put the squash on a plate, break it with hatchet, lift it up ... no seeds.

Did something change in a recent update and I missed it or is this a bug?

Right-click the seeds off the squash, now. You should get 3.

Last edited by Starknight_One (2019-03-20 23:14:49)

#24 2019-03-21 04:32:56

DestinyCall

Ah, thank you very much.  I had a feeling it was a game change, but couldn't figure it out.

Board footer