One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-18 01:00:24

Monolith_Rans

Free range sheep

Has anyone experimented with not building a pen?  I have been in towns where the pen is empty, but there are plenty of domestic sheep running around north of town.  I’m not sure why they always migrate north, but why not let domestic sheep and mouflon roam in towns with more advanced transportation options?  Pens take up so much time and space.  Why not catch six baby mouflons and let them free somewhere close to town in the same amount of time?

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#2 2019-03-18 01:35:59

breezeknight

Re: Free range sheep

only if your carrots are safe
but in general i think it's an option

a better idea would be to have a simpler fence than the wooden
i am asking for a wattle fence since months

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-18 01:38:24)

#3 2019-03-18 01:39:23

pein

never works

you need minimum 1x2 pen or sheep walks too far, especially in like 40 min can go like 100 tiles away and no one finds it

you can do roping lambs, fed outside and shear, either leave in small biome and wont go away, or kill it in the kitchen, also helps with transport and bones need to be carried away, what bakers never do if its in pen

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-03-18 01:42:57

Lily

I think because animals don't stop on tiles with stuff on them, any wild animal will have a tendency to not roam towards people because people leave stuff all over the ground. That said, I don't think there is any problem with this idea assuming you get the number of sheep up high enough. It seems like it would be a pain to get the first sheep from the mouflon but once you get the first sheep you can mass produce them. If you got eight sheep and let them all wander, I am sure you wouldn't have trouble finding a couple whenever you need them.

Though one thing to note, is that they do eat rows of carrots if they wander in that direction. There was a time where people basically only farmed carrots, so at that time the idea of wandering sheep wasn't so great. It wouldn't be as bad these days.

#5 2019-03-18 01:47:17

Sanshuba

People say free sheeps eat carrots. I’ve never seen that, but it might be true.
Anyway, I always domesticate sheeps without having a pen in young civilizations, to make compost ASAP. But I can’t see a reason for free sheeps in advanced civilizations.

#6 2019-03-18 01:54:19

DestinyCall

Free-roaming sheep are problematic.   Either they are constantly underfoot, eating your carrot rowsand leaving dead babies everywhere or they wander too far away and take too long to tend.  It is also much more difficult to count your sheep if they are not in a pen, so you won't be able to fall asleep. 

Long story short, it isn't practical.

#7 2019-03-18 02:13:39

pein

domestic mouflon isn't wild, it follows people in and out of camp which are both bad

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-03-18 02:18:06

Tarr
Banned

The only time free range sheep are viable is when clothing is needed right at the start of an Eve camp which generally isn't the case. The meta has shifted back around where bad clothes are good, and good clothes are great so as long as someone just goes around and hunts you some mouflon hides gen 1~gen 2 you'll be solid to wait out getting the sheep pen built for the sheep.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-03-18 03:18:05

happynova

Free range sheep will inevitably move into any tile you are currently attempting to set something down in.  Every.  Single.  Time.  I hate them.  Animals belong in pens, where they are out of the way of people trying to work.

#10 2019-03-18 06:14:19

WalrusesConquer

I was curious too, I've never seen a sheep go really far so why don't we infence the carrots?

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#11 2019-03-18 06:27:27

Grim_Arbiter

If the city is big enough, I'm more concerned if there aren't sheep wandering the outskirts. While I'm not going to ever release sheep intentionally if there aren't, I dont kill them if they are there. The greifers that destroy the pen and let them out can actually balance out the greifers that kill the sheep. Instead of having to go extremely far by that point for a moufloun baby, you can get an sheep baby without going far or even having a bow.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#12 2019-03-18 06:30:08

happynova

OK, good point, free range sheep hanging out in the countryside a ways from town make for a nice backup.  But they're still unbelievably annoying in town.

#13 2019-03-18 06:33:43

DestinyCall

Sheep only eat the carrot rows, so you could technically plant carrots in a spot south of town, away from sheep and make sure to pick them quickly.  The danger would be (relatively) low.    But if you are making a fence for your carrot farm, you might as well just make a fence to contain the sheep.

The sheep pen stops the sheep from wandering away and makes it much easier to tell if there are any sheep that need to be sheard or slaughtered.  If they are scattered around town, you are more likely to kill the last sheep accidentally and it is harder to notice if someone is griefing the sheep by killing the last one intentionally.

It's also a lot harder to haul the mutton to the bakery if the sheep are scattered and harder to feed them.

#14 2019-03-18 08:13:57

Psykout

happynova wrote:

Free range sheep will inevitably move into any tile you are currently attempting to set something down in.  Every.  Single.  Time.  I hate them.  Animals belong in pens, where they are out of the way of people trying to work.

Thats all sheep to a "T". Ever tried setting a basket down in a crowded smallish pen with three sheep and three lambs, good effing luck. Also since they can cross biomes after domestication, they can eventually end up quite far. Best bet if attempting to be what pein said, shear them the second the pop into a sheep and hold them in place till you slaughter. It also leads to dung everywhere giving incentive to move dung without a compost pile to go to. This starts using up the shovel real quick, which is also not good.

If you thought of free range sheep to save on getting pen materials, you could always try and use natural resources. In a perfect world you could use natural resources such as trees and rocks to form borders for pens. Only problem is they can be pulled up easily if determined or accidentally by the same tool that you use to compost (aother reason why it'd be nice/cool to have a tool just for compost) If something wasn't nearby that could form a barrier like an adobe and a rock or stone block and stakes, they'd get out. Too easily griefable, but plausible

#15 2019-03-18 11:17:14

breezeknight

Sanshuba wrote:

People say free sheeps eat carrots. I’ve never seen that, but it might be true.

it not only "might be true", they just do,
carrot rows are in danger with free roaming sheeps

Anyway, I always domesticate sheeps without having a pen in young civilizations, to make compost ASAP. But I can’t see a reason for free sheeps in advanced civilizations.

i should start doing that as well

few sheeps early on is with the increased need for clothes probably a better idea than grind for milkweed,
i've set up now some milkweed farms in early settlements & it just feels like waste of everyhing, time, soil, space, hoe, skewers
with few sheeps around, the strain might become less
the only problem i see is still just the carrots in danger but if there are not endless rows, they can be picked since carrots are now stackable
can't be happy enough because of those stackable carrots big_smile
that means also, one should concentrate quite early on making shears, knives & backpacks
& for carrot seeds one could plant two rows further away, with the carrot seeds is still the same problem, not only free roaming sheep pick them but also everybody else

an advanced town, that's indeed something totally different

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-18 11:24:39)

#16 2019-03-18 13:02:29

Averest

If you were really free ranging it, you could plant a square of berry bushes three wide around a three by three plot for carrots. Sheep couldn't get at the carrot patch.

#17 2019-03-18 13:35:19

denriguez

Great, now I want shepherds, sheep dogs, and flocks of sheep that graze in green biomes. Sheep have never been pen animals, feeding at a trough. They graze freely. And shepherds have been such an important part of human civilization. They follow the herd and live off the land, driving the entire flock back to town a couple of times a year for culling, shearing, and selling.

Imagine a huge flock of sheep out in a green biome, tended by one or a couple guys with shepherd's crooks. Wolves are attracted to the herd and take one from time to time, and threaten the shepherd, as well, unless the shepherd is accompanied by a dog. Flocks work differently than penned sheep, in that they they reproduce freely (albeit far, far more slowly) and their lambs have a 50% chance of becoming fully grown, without being fed, if on green biome. They also produce no dung. I have no idea how to make this work, other than imbuing a craftable shepherd's crook with some kind of magic ability to attract sheep, or requiring sheep to be "herded" by actively clicking on them, lest they wander away, but it would be so frigging cool. Giant flocks of stored wool and mutton that have to be managed far more proactively than penned sheep do currently. If the shepherd dies without a replacement, the sheep scatter and are eventually lost. If towns start developing closer together, we'd get more opportunities for trade, or even sheep rustling. Griefing would be a constant threat.

Maybe sheep never produce dung regardless of how they're managed, and pigs are buffed to fill that need in the compost cycle. Make pork useful (edible carnitas, less expensive tortillas, more uses in other recipes). Give wool and the loom more uses--wool rugs, wool baby slings, wool backpacks--to incentivize active shepherding. A mutton and potato buff--shepherd's pie.

Call it the Big Flocking Update. I mean it basically sells itself.

Edit: the new Yoohoo whistle could call a dog or attract sheep!

Last edited by denriguez (2019-03-18 13:39:05)

#18 2019-03-18 18:02:05

BladeWoods

If your town is in desparate need and you don't have a pen, sure, do some free range sheep. But it's not half as efficient as having a pen. The sheep wander around everywhere and get in your way. You'll have to spend more time finding the sheep, bringing the tools to the sheep, and bringing the sheep parts where they belong than if you had sheep in a pen.

Board footer