One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-13 19:04:36

arkajalka

Mosquitoes...

So now with the temperatures switched up, jungle doesnt serve as a valid spot on perfect temperature. Still we have these pesky mosquitoes even deadlier than ever as clothes are kinda must have if you want to roam out of town.

Can something seriously be done to them. Literally it's my main cause of death. Ye boar snipe, snek and stuff there and there but nothing brings fear in to my hearth like mosquitoes.

Mosquito repellent, solo cure, anything pleaseeee 1!!!1

NERF MOSQUITOES OR RIOT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#2 2019-03-13 19:14:32

fragilityh14

Re: Mosquitoes...

i had a question about this: everytime i've died it says "died of starvation", but on the lineage it can say "died of yellow fever" OR "died from swarm of mosquitoes"

Whats that about?

Anyway, they're annoying AF, and i'm terrified of them, but they aren't that dangerous if you yum chain. It doesn't take away from your yum bonus, so if you just have +5 or whatever when you go across the jungle it's almost always fine.

#1 reason for Yum chain when you're in the wilds.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#3 2019-03-13 19:20:10

arkajalka

I always yum chain one of the reasons to nomad is to get the sweet wild food yam bonuses.

Usually i can dodge these pesky frikers. I literally never go to jungle biome if i dont have  to cause of these fellas (direct path for iron vein  west of town trough jungle, build a banana road XD).

Also for some reason you can encounter this demonic entity anywhere in anybiome. Sometimes oyu walk into them at middle of desert... RIP.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#4 2019-03-14 07:19:09

pein

change the sprites, it's a fukyou from jason for usign zoom mod
lately i played without zoom, and sprites and just run twice in row into them behind some trees

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-03-14 07:59:43

Whatever

What mosquitoes need:
- Become much weaker
- A texture that is more visible / dangerous looking
- They should not leave the jungle biome

Wolfs give hats and you can bread dogs.
Bears give mats
Mosquitoes give nothing, except pain

#6 2019-03-14 09:58:41

voy178

Having them spawn and move outside of the jungle is the biggest headscratcher. Actually, most biome exclusive things should probably not spawn outside their biome because in 9 out of 10 cases they don't make sense.

#7 2019-03-14 10:10:23

Sanshuba

A repelent would be great.
But I disagree on nerfing mosquitoes.
I mean, in the real life, yellow fever is deadly if people don’t have medicine. The brother of my mother, was stung when he was in Amazon, Brazil. And he got very bad, didn’t recognize anyone, even his wife. He died about 20 years after, but has never recovered, stayed lie on a bed most of his life, even nowadays when the humanity has high tech medicine.
But now imagine a primitive civilization, it’s harder to handle with mosquitoes, and the game tries to simulate real civilizations. But even primitive civilizations were able to make repelents, so it would be a good thing on the game as well.
The texture is fine, you can’t see mosquitoes easily in real life, so it’s fair.

#8 2019-03-14 10:52:15

pein

they don't move outside jungle, they are spawn outside the jungle

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-03-14 17:46:05

JonySky
Website

Mosquitoes should not be fatal, they should only have side effects ... such as incapacitating the person to perform various tasks ... until medicines are administered ... this same thing I have commented on several posts ... the punishment of this game is always based on death ... there must be more challenges or difficulties to overcome so we do not have to always focus on not dying ...

#10 2019-03-14 17:58:54

fragilityh14

i really want us to get vaccines for yellow fever.  If you had a needle you could have to jab a person with yellow fever or whatever, and then most towns would only administer to people with reasons to leave town etc.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2019-03-14 19:22:05

futurebird

JonySky wrote:

Mosquitoes should not be fatal, they should only have side effects ... such as incapacitating the person to perform various tasks ... until medicines are administered ... this same thing I have commented on several posts ... the punishment of this game is always based on death ... there must be more challenges or difficulties to overcome so we do not have to always focus on not dying ...

This plus frag's vaccine idea (I'm thinking a vaccine/cure that would either cure a person or make them immune)  could make for interesting play. Your best smith is now slow and can't work because of the skeeters, time to make a cure so they can get back to work!

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#12 2019-03-14 20:00:23

Spoonwood

Biome change is why you see mosquitoes in a biome other than a jungle.  The biome can change underneath a mosquito from say a jungle to a tundra, and then the msoquito can only move in that tundra, until another biome change occurs.

I think Jason knows about the deadliness of mosquitoes at this point, and doesn't care to make them less deadly.  I could be wrong though.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2019-03-14 20:19:49

Greep

I don't think it's because of "biome change".  Basically, there is intentional bleedover in how objects spawn in biomes.  If you're at the border of a swamp and badlands, e.g. occasionally iron will form in the swamp and ponds in the badlands.  Not a bug, it's designed that way.

Well, mosquitos are just objects like any other object.  So they probably just get this bleedover effect and stay in that biome.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#14 2019-05-06 00:02:39

arkajalka

Seriously! Again and a again, these devils ruin the game totaly for me. Today was on a trip to save a village with a high tech pump and all but every sheep had been grieffed...

So it being a high tech vill every goat in near proximity had been slain so i do a long ass run to get bow, arrow and rope.

So i get all this done and even find the sheep. I slay the mama goat and get the lil fuker. Then on a way back home i see hoard of boars and dodge em to jungle cause they wont come there...

Guess what...

Some lil fuker was hiding behind a tree and with gear on it was rip. Nothing you can do, cause my yam chain had to be reseted on the road.

MOSQUITO REPELLENT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-05-06 00:03:55)

#15 2019-05-06 07:41:13

Sukallinen

Mosquitoes are about only thing that kills (if you're not doing any kind of yumchain, doing it is good since you spend so much less food from common town property), so until diseases or such I think they should stay. Even when they're main cause of me dying (other is just taking risk and lagspike when low pips of food, i.e. my stupidity).

#16 2019-05-06 17:57:04

arkajalka

Imo its just stupid, cause those deadly fukers just support staying your whole life in town never doing suply runs without horse.

Atleast there should be some way to prevent this from happening, antidote, mosquito repellent, ability to strip off when bit, anything...

These demons are the only reason i rage quit the game for while. Like you can have grieffers and stuff but its things that you can react to... but mosquitoes ...

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

REPELLENT OR RIOT

#17 2019-05-06 18:02:23

futurebird

If they didn't kill you so quickly with clothing on I could live with it.

But if there will be no change, let us type /die when bitten so we don't have to wait when that happens. Like it can take a long time, but you know you won't be able to grab that banana out of your pack in time if you have on seal fur.

And I have been bitten with a pack full of food, like 8 yum. Jumped right on snow as soon as it happened and STILL died.

This leads me to go with "pack and fur undies only" when I need to go anywhere near a jungle. I'd rather gobble up all the wild food near camp than die like that.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-06 18:02:48)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#18 2019-06-12 19:55:07

arkajalka

BUMP

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE The demon spawns, siblings of antichrist, superpredator.

Theres bears, snakes, wolfs and other living dangers of the wild but the mosquito is the one on top of the hill as unkillable uncureable super predator!

Give me way to kill these of and ill dedicate my life on killing mosquitoes.

#19 2019-06-12 22:02:24

Sukallinen

Contain them then. Or cut the trees behind they hide.

I move very slowly there, usually it's just faster to go around. Anyhow, since they're only wild thing that kills why not be careful there ?

Yes, there's yellow fever vaccine IRL but as vaccines do, it needs to be administered beforehand, not after. If necessary I don't see problem soonish (by Jason standards) for developed civs doing vaccinations, also some kids diseases (since game's so fast multi-vaccine for childhood illnesses is in order).

Still, I've mostly stopped dying by avoiding or moving slowly. I also take one wooden shoe when 59+ years old and go fight the darn beasts behind a tree ! So watch out, that shoe is not there to be picked up, it's there for protection.

#20 2019-06-12 22:06:26

Bob 101

This is a necro

#21 2019-06-13 01:03:52

Alec

I dont care about how difficult living with mosquitoes.
Yes, off course, often, I did pray "My father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me." Matthew 26:39.
But I knew God's great plan is there.

BTW my really interest is "Biome change".

Spoonwood wrote:

Biome change is why you see mosquitoes in a biome other than a jungle.  The biome can change underneath a mosquito from say a jungle to a tundra, and then the msoquito can only move in that tundra, until another biome change occurs.

I saw the changing biome problem in mobile version too.
https://twitter.com/amazake_ohol/status … 7508934656
https://twitter.com/M_1341_MIKASA/statu … 2222456833

So maybe biome program has same bug.
This is my next job.

#22 2019-09-26 13:09:27

arkajalka

Bump this REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#23 2019-09-26 14:10:24

Thaulos

I don't even remember last time I got bitten.

#24 2019-09-28 19:38:01

Saolin

They're not that hard to avoid if you're careful. I get killed more by Wolves or boars which can run from off screen onto the same tile as you. Mosquitos only move one tile, so there's no surprise from them other than that they blend in to their biome, that's why you need to be careful.  They're only really a problem if you're not paying attention or if you get surrounded by 4 or 5 of them, but again if you're moving cautiously you can just go around a cluster of mosquitos.

#25 2019-09-29 07:12:38

Aribear

Thaulos wrote:

I don't even remember last time I got bitten.

Board footer