One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-11 21:30:38

Tarr
Banned

Don't /die! Run!

As the title implies due to how large the area ban is it's better for players to just run from their moms than use the die command. It's too easy to accidentally send yourself to Eve hell if attempting to look for the type of play you want. So instead of area banning yourself it's back to the baby running meta. Unless you want to specifically peek at the stdout every baby life it's not worth using /die and it's certainly not worth using at all.

TL;DR: Don't /die just run.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-03-11 21:42:49

WalrusesConquer

Re: Don't /die! Run!

Edit:
Seems a bit harsh to the moms you run from though..just because you want to go back to a project

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-03-11 21:45:22)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#3 2019-03-12 00:54:08

Jk Howling

It isn't solely for going back to a project, but for a majority of players, they have a specific play type that they enjoy. Take myself, for instance. I really dislike city play, because almost everything is done and there's little to do that feels like it matters. I consider myself fairly good at the game and often like to put my time into early camps and help give them a better chance at getting off the ground. Thus, I'll /die out of larger towns and lineages.

The problem with the 2000-tile radius of the area ban, however, is that it doesn't just ban me from larger towns.. it bans me from any nearby eve towns as well. The eve spiral is 250 tiles. /die'ing out of a single noob eve lineage can quite literally ban me from 7-8 nearby eves!

I can quickly get stuck in eve hell solely from /die'ing out of towns and a single noob eve. I got stuck in eve hell the other night because of this, after quite literally 4 /die's [3 towns, 1 eve camp that was settled near quite literally a single pond (I was male)].

In a similar fashion, people who prefer larger towns over early camps might have the opposite issue: they might not realize there's a large town within 2k tiles, /die out of an eve camp, and then get banned from that city as well, something they would've happily lived a life in.

Until Jason either reduces the area ban radius [preferably to something like 250-500 tiles, towns are rarely larger than this] or overhauls it completely, I'm better off running than /die'ing and ending up stuck as an eve.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-03-12 00:58:31)

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2019-03-12 00:56:14

DestinyCall

It might be harsh, but you don't have a better option now.   It is my understanding that the original reason for /die was to reduce running babies by giving an "opt-out" option that didn't punish the mother's fertility and waste her time on raising a child that did not want to live.   It would lineage ban you from that family, but if you didn't like the village, getting lineage banned was not a huge problem and it also prevented the same person from getting reborn to the same mother and dying over and over again.   This works out to being better for the mother and baby - letting the mom get a new baby that wants to live and letting the baby move on to a new life where they hopefully get what they need to want to live also.

But with the HUGE area ban, you are not just cutting yourself out of that one village.  You are also losing access to the entire area and any neighboring villages.   So if you want to be in large town, but you are born in a small village, you don't necessarily want to /die in that little village or you might get locked out of city that's 1500 tiles away.   If you get born into a big city and don't want to be there, you don't necessarily want to die either.  You'll also be locking yourself out of any smaller villages that are located in the surrounding area, including eve camps.

And you can easily lock yourself out of all available lineages with a much smaller number of /dies, so it is especially important to use the command sparingly. 

I definitely expect to see a lot more runner babies as people start to recognize the impact of area bans.

#5 2019-03-12 04:06:05

pein

with awbz you just died but didn't denied the chance of getting back, but that stopped babies born
its stil lyour choice, even if you stuck around 5 min
worst case people enforce you and you grief them

i had the biggest luck a bit ago, some people were born 200-250 tile away, so i found them on foot
now that doesn't soiund like a big distance, but it is, especially diagonally
i made the route a few times:
small ice biome mixed with green, small desert, mixed with jungle, a medium savanah, near a big swamp, more jungle and more swamp, a huge green biome, then a small desert, then ust a bit more into green biome
its not what would you going for

my idea is reduce the area ban for undiscovered spots, and like 250 tiles from it
the other would be to put the next eve on the other side of a big ice biome

this picture shows an old s3 city structure, its morerelavant now, as we are back to square one: jungles and deserts are a thing to avoid and swamps near green are best
if you check the gray areas, you see, people avoided going trough them, and even if there i no difference on bottom right side, stil la lot of viable spots, people made ities on two diagonal lines, but connected roads straight

n8BI4Wx.png

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-03-12 04:41:28

Tarr
Banned

WalrusesConquer wrote:

Edit:
Seems a bit harsh to the moms you run from though..just because you want to go back to a project

If it was only because I wanted to work on a single project I would play on a second account instead of /dying. Why would I waste 20 minutes walking or riding somewhere when I have the option to just switch over?

The point is the area ban is so wide that using the /die command WILL ban you out of places you aren't expecting to have skipped over. Before it was fine because you looked at a place and decided that the place wasn't your style of play. Cool beans, they get a birth reset, you move to the next place to check. Now if you /die you risk banning yourself out of multiple cities/villages/camps because who in their right mind is going to go read the stdout file to double check no one is in your die range?

It's just silly to have the range be so wide vs the eve spiral. The ban radius is eight times the size of the eve spirals movement and you know what that means? Each location has the possibility (no matter how unlikely) of banning you from up to eight other villages. Why would you use the command with such a risk? I've personally /die'd to Eve hell on accident before because most towns were in a mid-game state and I wasn't really feeling mid game.

Jason's goof ass did this because he /heard/ I was transplanting second lineages in villages which I've only ever done by walking or riding myself out of an early game area. It sort of makes me want to say silly things like potatoes are great to see if he nerfs them again lmao.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-03-12 05:30:35

Baker

I still think running away should NEVER be the preferred option. Take my recent life for instance (http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3761987)

Alot of these kids ran away at the first chance, Most likely the same person. This is just like the days before /die, The same kid running off every time made me want to stop playing. I dedicated a good amount of time chasing this kid, trying to stab him just like the old days.

Our town had a good amount of yum mum's and a cook that knew to make a variety of foods. This drew in a lot of babies, but there was this one guy who didn't wanna stay. The runner method wasn't effective because we all had priority on new babies, so he just kept spawning back to us and running.

So finally at 55, I got the stab in and was happy to starve on the slowdown. Hope they enjoy Eve Hell, It's well earned for these with such high standards that the majority of towns can't meet. If you're gonna run, know that when you're getting the same towns it's probably because they are the only towns. Live in one of them or fuck off to build your dream town yourself.

I don't blame the people suiciding, The blame lies on Jason for his Area Ban system.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#8 2019-03-12 08:12:41

hmrka

Yes!!! I've been saying this since area ban got added lol. On some days /dying from two places is enough to be stuck in eve hell

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#9 2019-03-12 16:08:30

Averest

I try to tell other players that if a kid runs off, it's not worth chasing. Right now the situation isn't great for anyone. I try to take a head count of all the female characters before I leave because I don't mind spending twenty minutes to pop out a kid or two to help keep the place going. After that I'll leave my stuff, if any, behind to the other adults.

#10 2019-03-12 16:58:19

pein

it's a spiral not a line

if point A is 250 from point B
Point C can be 250 from point A and B
Considering each eve is a 250 radius circle (where diagonals are same as sides, so basically a square)
62500 square tiles
while 2000x2000 is 4 mill, so you can fit inside 64x

now its still a spiral so maybe you got dead zones of equilateral triangles and diamonds where 3 diamonds have 3x62500 and 5x27000 dead zone
so like 60%, which is still 40 spots

not sure how it generates, if in each 250x250 one eve will start, then it can go around that
i mean most eves are pretty bad and the bad ones don't run too far once they got a baby, so they stuck in the first or second green biome but still

if you are in a family, which just started and you die, you ban yourself from the next 64 spots around it. so quite fast you will become an eve yourself

i think the problem is not multiple fmailies same place, cause that is rather hard to accomplish
the problem is twin or triplet eves
they should choose a family name on the login screen, cause twins have the same mother realistically
any other case of two eves meeting is fair game to me

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer