One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-09 03:39:23

GreatShawn

(Not quite) infinite iron suggestion

So I watched people play banished for a while (Because I'm an asian teenager with parents that gives me no money to buy the game with), and one thing catched my attention. In banished, you cannot remove an iron mine (Well, you can, but it leaves a hole in the ground that OCD people like me gets absolutly brain-melted with.), but instead you can upgrade it until you cannot.

So I think maybe we can do the same thing with OHOL.

Instead of instantly giving you 60-80 iron per pit after you dug it, you will have to gradually upgrade the mine to get that amount. Each upgrade is harder to get than the previous, with the last one maybe requiring iron (so it deduct the iron you gain in order to get more). I'm thinking like 5-6 levels of upgrades with a total of 80 iron? But the decision is up to our ultimate god Jasus. This update might help more advanced civilization to get more tech that require iron easier. because they are advanced they can afford the upgrades.

Pray to my parents so they give me allowance for me to buy the game (Banished). COMMUNISM.

Last edited by GreatShawn (2019-03-09 03:39:38)

#2 2019-03-09 04:32:03

fragilityh14

Re: (Not quite) infinite iron suggestion

firstly, ask your parents if they need work done, or mow your neighbor's lawn or something. If you're a teenager you should be looking for work, not a handout. (god, i sound old, I'm only 31, but I did all sorts of work to buy videogames growing up, and never expected my parents to buy them for me.)

Secondly, we totally should be able to build a newcomon engine over an iron vein and get more iron out of it.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#3 2019-03-09 06:35:01

GreatShawn

fragilityh14 wrote:

firstly, ask your parents if they need work done, or mow your neighbor's lawn or something. If you're a teenager you should be looking for work, not a handout. (god, i sound old, I'm only 31, but I did all sorts of work to buy videogames growing up, and never expected my parents to buy them for me.)

Secondly, we totally should be able to build a newcomon engine over an iron vein and get more iron out of it.

My neighbors already have their own child labor force so no

And i do all kinds of chores but still i get no allowance because they say it is my “duty” to serve the family.

And please, i dont want someone on the forum to be my dad.

Gosh why do i edit these so often its like i cant spell anything right

Last edited by GreatShawn (2019-03-09 06:44:26)

#4 2019-03-09 08:45:38

CatX

GreatShawn, people are different. Some, when presented with a problem, immediately try to come up with a solution. It may seem like they're trying to parent you, but actually (often) it's just a personality trait. smile

I think your idea is a good one. Another change that could help us save iron would be to have tools break like now, but without destroying the iron part. A shovel should be fixable just by adding a new shaft in my opinion... And it is a little sad when people are encouraged to not use tools to make graveyards or other 'non-essential' tasks because we need to save iron.

Last edited by CatX (2019-03-09 09:41:11)

#5 2019-03-09 17:13:18

fragilityh14

if you don't want people to tell you to get a job, don't complain to adults about your lack of allowance.

Anyway, i was thinking about this more, and a fun element the newcomen engines bring to mining would be the need to transport fire/make fire there. Really, making something that big out in the badlands away from camp is a huge challenge in general, but iron is also very important, so it's worth it.

On top of just setting up fire making equipment, i still want more uses for kerosene. There could be oil torches a person could carry, which also offered mosquito protection when travelling through the dangerous swamps to reach iron.

still though, people aren't trying that hard to find iron. I've only ever gone on a couple of iron runs where lack of overall availability was concerning, especially if I'm in a horsecart.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-03-10 02:53:47

Peremptive

fragilityh14 wrote:

that is the most american thing in the world. You live in your own universe, he lives somewhere else.

#7 2019-03-10 03:00:42

antking:]#

fragilityh14 wrote:

well you can't really pump out iron from the earth because its not a liquid! silly you can only pump liquids. so using a newcomon engine could never work.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2019-03-10 14:27:22

mrbah

antking:]# wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

well you can't really pump out iron from the earth because its not a liquid! silly you can only pump liquids. so using a newcomon engine could never work.

that just means your pump is working at the wrong temperature/pressure.

#9 2019-03-10 14:44:36

Amon

You pump air in the mines, my ancestors were mine workers and OHOL should really have a tech advancement locked mine upgrade. The deeper you want to mine, the higher your tech level needs to be.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#10 2019-03-10 16:11:38

SirCaio

antking:]# wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

What if we use the newcomen engine to power a simple pulley platform elevator to go further down in the mine?

#11 2019-03-10 16:20:39

Windmiller

Actually, one of the first uses for pumps were to pump out water from coal mines. You can't mine when its full of waste water, so yes, a newcomon engine would really make sense in order to make an advanced mine.

#12 2019-03-10 18:51:07

Anandamide

I think upgrading with a newcomen in a fine idea. An exhausted mine would need a pick used to remove the debris, then the regular newcomen foundation would be built. The pump beam kit would be attached after the engine. A deep drill kit would be made, using the pulley drive mechanism, and a large drill bit(3 iron? im not sure exactly) that would be attached. Each firing of the engine would reset the mine, and have x many chances to be used. Each time its run there would be an additional chance that the drill bit would break. Maybe it should even require a kerosene burner since its an essentially infinite source of iron. Maybe the mine has a random number of chances to be consumed completely, and an even more complex diesel mining rig could be built. Running the base upgraded mine on the exhausted shaft could produce stones or large rocks? It doesn't have to be literal, or make perfect sense; no mine IRL is just gonna have one stationary engine drilling straight down, but its a game and we already accept a number of abstractions.

#13 2019-03-11 00:43:32

GreatShawn

I'm thinking the first few tiers of an iron mine should not require iron (Maybe use a pickaxe on a collapsed mine to get more iron), but the last few ones might require a drill bit on a newcomen enging to drill the juice out of the ground.

#14 2019-03-11 01:33:47

fragilityh14

ummm, re: iron isn't a liquid...it's common to drain water from areas so mining becomes accessible, not to even mention fracking.

And re: Peremptives ridiculous statement: it is not the "most American thing ever" to think you should work to get things you want. If anything, it's American to be entitled and spoiled and want everything without working for it. in other parts of the world kids are sorting through junk yards to get scrap metal so they can buy food, it's not unreasonable nor "American" advice to tell the kid to do some work to buy things he wants. His view is that his parents have the money to buy the game but choose not to give it to him, so clearly, he's of an economic status where acquiring money is within reach.

I mean, this kid is spending his time playing a game where you work to get what you want. Try applying some of that to real life, I bet you can get paid to scoop shit, just like it pays off in game.

Listen to your mom!

#15 2019-03-11 04:33:39

GreatShawn

fragilityh14 wrote:

I mean, this kid is spending his time playing a game where you work to get what you want. Try applying some of that to real life, I bet you can get paid to scoop shit, just like it pays off in game.

Highly offensive. I only got one hour of game time a week because of asian parent tryanny and you're sitting here acting like i'm some rich-ass asian kid in a ferari playing 40 hours a day of video games. Trust me, if you are in a situation like me you would be happy to be a grown-up.

Board footer