One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 12:18:11

starplayer

Picking last item destroys source

So, I have a bit of a problem with the whole "if you pick the last something, it'll destroy it".

I'm talking about drying ponds, drying domestic berry bushes (which seem identical to wild ones), drying wells, whatever.

The thing it just adds stress, difficulty to an already difficult game, without actually making any sense at all. What's the point of this mechanic besides anoying the players, and feeding the trolls?

#2 2018-03-15 12:30:36

The Person In Yellow

Re: Picking last item destroys source

many of the mechanics are like this, such as being a baby for such a long time. It seems to be part of the theme of being only 1 part of a whole civilization and the matter of sustaining the natural resources

#3 2018-03-15 14:03:53

Twinsen

starplayer wrote:

So, I have a bit of a problem with the whole "if you pick the last something, it'll destroy it".

I'm talking about drying ponds, drying domestic berry bushes (which seem identical to wild ones), drying wells, whatever.

The thing it just adds stress, difficulty to an already difficult game, without actually making any sense at all. What's the point of this mechanic besides anoying the players, and feeding the trolls?

This is a philosophy of Jason; and frankly, we are pretty much his test subject on, if we are going to:
1. try surviving while destroying the land by eating wild carrots and empty those rabbit holes
2. keep trying building civilization despite all setback
3. if we are going to troll like no tomorrow

The game isn't that difficult if everyone knows what to do. Once a while an update may change the game mechanic and we just have to adapt to it.

#4 2018-03-15 16:20:09

Tebe

starplayer wrote:

All of what you listed are fully renewable - domestic bushes can be watered - ponds can be refilled - wells cannot, though i suspect this was an oversight?

Resources that you find sitting in the wild like alum and ore, however, don't seem to respawn. If you want to dye your wool, or have a crown for your settlement, you are going to have to hunt some very rare materials indeed.

And clay. As of now there is absolutely no way to reclaim clay. Once a deposit is emptied out, it's over for good! That's the really tricky one.

But even if you could get a tool that could dig deeper than a shovel and dredge up some new clay from the swamplands, I imagine this would potentially leave a scar on the earth, ruining the tile permanently, or at the very least, deal with a level of clay that is also at a hard limit.
This is the game! I find it a very fascinating aspect of it, it forces you to really consider your footprint on the world and the society.

#5 2018-03-15 16:57:20

ShadowsSoldier

I like the limiting factors of this game-world.
I want the wells to be fixed or at the very least give us a visible representation of the uses that they have remaining.
Other than that this game is meant to be about sustainability, not ravaging the lands and leaving nothing left.

#6 2018-04-10 14:12:48

bbinmass

I get sustainability as a feature of the game, and I like that. However, I do think that it is too easy currently for griefers, morons, and noobs to really hurt a village by destroying 'renewable resources'. Cutting a wild carrot, taking the last water from a well (at least for 10 hours), draining a goose pond, digging up a berry bush. I get that survival should be hard, and griefers, morons, and noobs could happen IRL, and that would doom a real stone age village. But IRL a concerted effort by a community could also "repair" the damage... and that is missing in OHOL.

Here are two suggestions that I think still fit in the 'flavor' of OHOL.
1. Allow a wild carrots to be replanted in a new location (with a tilled row ?). This would allow you to range a further from your village to find a replacement wild carrot and bring it back. This would also allow you to plant "seeding" carrots in your village and simplify farming. Because it would be way easier to explain to new villagers that the rows of wild carrots above the farm are to be used to seed the domestic carrot farm. You could also only allow it to be replanted at an original wild carrot location, that would limit the use, but still allow you to repair the damage.

2. Add an item called a goose "call". Players could build that using advanced tools, and then they could be used to lure a new goose to a "abandoned goose pond". I suggest a chisel applied to a short shaft. That produces a the raw item that could be combined with something rare like a goose carcass to produce the goose call. Then you will need to explore further from your village to find a replacement goose, to create the device to lure one back to your village. Make it a one time use item.

#7 2018-04-10 14:51:43

Thexus

A greek philosopher once said: "Fucking 'tards." So he started educating his city, he made culture available to the common man, after years, democracy has born. What I'm trying to say: You can educate the people around you, and make a better community. There is no need to remove the "you destroy it, if you can't use it properly" feature, just teach them how to use that properly, you have 3 minutes to say things to your child, use this.

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#8 2018-04-10 17:48:08

FlRugbyChick

Tebe wrote:
starplayer wrote:

All of what you listed are fully renewable - domestic bushes can be watered - ponds can be refilled - wells cannot, though i suspect this was an oversight?

Resources that you find sitting in the wild like alum and ore, however, don't seem to respawn. If you want to dye your wool, or have a crown for your settlement, you are going to have to hunt some very rare materials indeed.

And clay. As of now there is absolutely no way to reclaim clay. Once a deposit is emptied out, it's over for good! That's the really tricky one.

But even if you could get a tool that could dig deeper than a shovel and dredge up some new clay from the swamplands, I imagine this would potentially leave a scar on the earth, ruining the tile permanently, or at the very least, deal with a level of clay that is also at a hard limit.
This is the game! I find it a very fascinating aspect of it, it forces you to really consider your footprint on the world and the society.

Wells refill themselves after 10 rl hours. You can also add water to a well that isn't dry.

#9 2018-04-10 22:41:42

Valiry

I heard that wells are refilling when you build it next to a pond, is that true?

#10 2018-04-11 03:19:49

Joriom
Website

bbinmass wrote:

I do think that it is too easy currently for griefers, morons, and noobs to really hurt a village by destroying 'renewable resources'. Cutting a wild carrot (...)

Don't worry, Jason already stated that he is going to stop wild carrots from regrowing seeds so we are forced to seed our plot.
I think you have the wrong idea about the game. Jason is never going to protect us from grieffind. He is throwing more and more ways for grieffers to get to us. He wants to see if we're going to adapt and protect ourselves or not.
I'm sure berry bushes are next after wild carrots to get hit by nerfs because "pro players" already started making 20x20 berry bush farms to sustain indefinetly.

Valiry wrote:

I heard that wells are refilling when you build it next to a pond, is that true?

They always refill slowly - at the same peace that ponds do. Thats why its often usefull to place them next to a pond. You can't see how much water is left in the well but you can use pond as "measuring stick". If you take the same ammount of water from both - when pond is full, well should be too.

Last edited by Joriom (2018-04-11 03:21:17)

#11 2018-04-11 03:33:31

IronBear

starplayer wrote:

Part of the game is coping with the griefers and the stupid . . . just like in real life.

Board footer