One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-04 15:30:35

futurebird

"if it gets taken make one"

Been playing with a new personal rule. If I'm doing something and the thing I need gets taken I stop doing it and make whatever I'm missing. No ax? I forge one. No flint chip? I find some more. The principle is that if it's getting taken there are enough of whatever it is.

It's fun because in one life I got to farm, forge, bake, get wood, make kindle, make clothes and stew.

What are your personal rules?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-04 15:44:39

karltown_veteran

Re: "if it gets taken make one"

If someone proposes, you say yes, and drop everything to rp.. then you are obligated to grow roses for them

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2019-03-04 16:00:38

pein

if id doesn't follow let it die and no double ups,i don't keep if i hold one
that on eve runs

if people cant even keep up a fire with ready firewood, move out or quit that life

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-03-04 16:32:07

Oblong

It gets annoying especially with iron scarcity, most of my lives have been multi-job and it’s stressful. You think the axe is gone, but as soon as the axe head you just forged cooled off, someone comes back with the other axe and that axe could have been used to make an adze, chisel, froe, whatever else was needed but you don’t have any more iron around.

A rule I’ve made is to work first, RP later, if I’m at an eve camp and some kid just made a door walking around and saying “I’m strong!” I’d end up asking for him to actually help out instead of draining food. Save the RPs for the bigger civilizations, please.

Last edited by Oblong (2019-03-04 16:40:31)

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#5 2019-03-04 16:39:19

DestinyCall

If there are no pies in the bakery, make more pies.   You can never have too many meat pies.

If there are no sheep/no sheep pen, aim for getting sheep within your lifetime.   Sheep are a great legacy to leave for your descendants.

If you are born naked and the village has no clothes/lots of nakeds, grab a bowl for berries and go seal-hunting.  You can get a lot more accomplished once you have decent clothing.

If you have a backpack and see a knife on the ground, get it in your pack.  Loose knives end lives.   Just remember to use the knife for knife-related tasks - sheep harvesting, bread making, buttering bread, rubber making, etc.   And keep in mind that some tasks that can be done with flint or sharp stone can also be done with a knife.

#6 2019-03-04 17:15:21

fragilityh14

i'm with destiny on the knife rule. and also, i try to give it to someone before I die. The other day I saw a boy making stew and was like "Kid, you seem responsible" and he said, "I am", and i said, "I don't think any kid making stew has bad intentions"

What is unfortunate is while the knife can do some things, if you're in the wilds you still generally need a sharp stone, so it is another thing in the pack.

Another thing I always do is start the damn fire when there aren't baked pies but are like 4 baskets of unbaked pies.

Some people are worried about kindling costs, but if there are no pies it can rapidly be a matter of life or death.

as far as replacing things that get taken, I suppose you have a good point, i often do have to take peoples sharp stones or bowls or whatever to do what i'm doing then get annoyed when the same is done to me.

I should probably start stone gathering more in general, as they do become short later in the life of a civ, but you never have to travel so far to find them. That's something i almost never do, unless i'm walking back anyway with basket space. But someone's doing it, cause wells get built [strangely i never seem to see people gathering stones, they just end up there.]

If there's no compost, of course that's one to do, though if an advanced civ is out of compost and isn't even set up to make compost i usually decide it's more stress than it's worth and run off with a bowl to start a new camp. [I mean, watering planted carrots or growing some wheat, sure, but if i'm running out to gather soil for new fields, seeds, etc i usually figure the place is a disaster where no one cares.]

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#7 2019-03-04 17:35:36

happynova

DestinyCall wrote:

If you have a backpack and see a knife on the ground, get it in your pack.  Loose knives end lives.   Just remember to use the knife for knife-related tasks - sheep harvesting, bread making, buttering bread, rubber making, etc.

Yeah, I basically use those rules too.  Never leave knives lying around if you can remotely help it.  But with great knife comes great responsibility.  If I pick that knife up and carry it around, even if I'm doing other things, I make a point of checking by the sheep pen or the bakery every so often to see if there's need of it, and never turn someone down if they ask me to kill a sheep or cut bread or make some wood shavings for them. Or I might seek out specific tasks that only someone with a knife can do, like making rubber.  I also accept that it may have become my responsibility to deal with griefers.

Another good knife-related rule: if you have more than one knife or you have one and you're about to die, go to the bakery or the sheep pen.  See if there is anyone baking or tending sheep who doesn't have one, and if they're actually working, give it to them.  If no one seems to need it there, find someone young who seems hard-working and trustworthy,  and give it to them.

Other rules I try to follow:

Prioritize compost.  If there's no compost, your job is to make some.  If there's only a little compost, your job is still to make some.  You can go do something else after there's compost.

Teach whenever possible, if someone wants to learn.  Even if it's inconvenient, even if you can't teach very much, at least try to give them some tiny snippet of new knowledge or experience.

If you're fully dressed and find clothes lying around, take them to the nursery and give them to a naked baby.

Never let someone go unnamed.  Always name babies with no names.  Or even adults with no names.

When people say they're new, be positive about it.  Offer to help them if they need it.  If they seem really, really, started-today new, welcome them to the game.   Try to give them a good early experience, if you can, or at least not discourage them.

Always say "sorry" to babies you have to abandon, unless you're genuinely about to starve if you stop to talk.

Don't put up with racist trolls. Curse 'em and stab 'em and let them go play with other racist trolls in Donkey Town.  And if my mother tries to name me a racist slur, she doesn't get to keep me.

Try not to let griefers get a rise out of you, just deal with them as efficiently as you can.  (I admit, I have trouble following this one sometimes.)

If you're trying to do a one-person job and someone else leaps in and starts doing it "with" you, just let them do it instead.  It's not worth getting in each other's way.

#8 2019-03-04 18:12:56

Jojigirl

The main problem I find that people take from is the stew farm "tools and supplies" needed to make stew.

I don't say anything the first few times, but after that I get annoyed! I gathered and made these, why should I keep having to do it over and over again when they can make their own.

When you clearly have things set out doing something with them and someone comes up and grabs something, knowing you need it to finish what you are doing, it irritates me to no end. I will say something and if they don't put it down I will chase them with my knife until they do. (No, I do not plan on stabbing them over them taking something, it usually gets them to drop what they took lol) You taking the things I need to get something done delays the process, and usually it's something that really needs to be done ASAP. 

I do not take anything at stations if I don't make the stuff myself. I'll look around on the outskirts and open areas first.  It absolutely grates my nerves having to gather supplies over and over again just to get one simple task finished because everyone keeps taking the things I gathered and need.

Now if people ask me if they can use that item and will bring it back soon, sure go ahead! I've even given my backpack up for a few minutes because they asked to borrow it, so they could run out and complete the task that they needed to finish. They've always brought it back to me.. It's a matter of manners. Which IMO plays a big role in a village. If you work together, have manners and ask to borrow things that are clearly being used the village runs more efficiently.  If you have a village full of people out for themselves, no communication, taking whatever they want from whoever they want, that village has no unity, and will usually fail and die out.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-03-04 18:20:17)

#9 2019-03-04 20:57:16

futurebird

The stew tools just don't look like tools. I'll have a plate, flint and round stone in a basket and people empty it for the basket or they take the stone or "clean up" the plate.

To be honest when I was new I probably "cleaned up" the squash and bean winnowing plate a few times. So, what I experience now is ... karma.

Stew is the worst for keeping the tools. I keep the round stone bowl and plate in my backpack now. Yes it's that bad.

----

I agree about knives and yet.... some of the best towns I've been in had knives all over the place.

-one in the box by the sheep
-one in the box in the bakery
-one near the rubber trees

etc.

I didn't feel the need to hide them in my pack because everyone could see where they were and if they vanished for a moment just saying "who took shep knife" made it show up again fast.

So mixed feelings on that one. It depends on how the village "feels" I guess. Some places have a chaos, newbie, griefer vibe and in that case please hide them knives (but you better be using them. kill the sheep, cut the bread, don't be the bottleneck.)

---
omnem cibum costis

#10 2019-03-04 21:00:17

futurebird

One more rule:

If pies are stacked in a box in the bakery get them out next to the berries, in the nursery, near anyone working without a backpack.

If I'm food-secure (have a stew source, or backpack) spend some time bringing food to those without packs and less clothing. Check on them. Bring people food. It makes everyone more productive and generally nicer.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-03-05 03:42:01

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

You can never have too many meat pies.

Dead wrong.  If a settlement only cooks meat pies it has less yum than if it cooks meat pies and cooks bread and cooked mutton and cooked rabbit instead.  Yum affects fertility, and probably should get into the 20s for experienced players in advanced settlements.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-05 03:42:15)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2019-03-05 18:58:26

Lotus

If there’s no firewood, I’ll stop what I’m doing and take about ten minutes to cart wood back and forth to town. Since you need about ~14 wood to sustain a fire for a lifetime, just a few carts’ worth really puts the town back together!

#13 2019-03-05 20:23:26

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Dead wrong.  If a settlement only cooks meat pies it has less yum than if it cooks meat pies and cooks bread and cooked mutton and cooked rabbit instead.  Yum affects fertility, and probably should get into the 20s for experienced players in advanced settlements.

#14 2019-03-05 22:09:33

Oblong

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Not everyone outside of this forum will focus on yum or even know too much about it. Not everyone uses the forums. So yeah, you can never have too many meat pies.
If you really want to push the yum factor then maybe it’ll happen once there’s a visual difference for pies.

Last edited by Oblong (2019-03-05 22:12:06)

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#15 2019-03-06 17:34:29

pein

no, just no
so far if i met troublesome people:
you don't get second or third chances
if someone reacts to a job offer like 'do it yourself" or "fuck you"
then needs to go, or will be a concern later on

if you ask people to do stuff, and they don't do it, instead wonder around clicking stuff, they are new or asshole rpers
if it's the whole town like that, you can start stabbing the assholes, people wont care about that either

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer