One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-02 17:55:48

fragilityh14

"Fed Shorn Sheep Produces Dung"

I just noticed that on the fix list. Not sure if lambs still produce dung, i assume so.

This is crucial for balance, as i have been saying for a while. It is better that food OR wool is a byproduct of composting, so mutton pie is not inherently the ultimate food due to its status as a necessary byproduct of composting. And also, with the temp changes, there was a cause to make clothing cheaper.

Also, obviously, this makes clothes less expensive for the same reason. And makes it feasible, if still less efficient, to run vegetarian camps, if that interests anyone. [we've talked a lot about having different cultures in different villages]. Before there was literally no way for long term survival in a city without producing meat.

I know, personally, if my goal is composting, and no one is helping me with sheep, the slaughtering and mutton becomes a pretty big pain in the ass rapidly.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-03-02 18:14:09

DestinyCall

Re: "Fed Shorn Sheep Produces Dung"

I'm very happy about this change, although I forsee a point in the not so distant future when we are asking Jason to add a decay timer to dung to assist with clearing crowded pens.   

I'd also love to see dung provided by pigs and more culinary options for pork meat, so we might see villages with pigs  OR sheep.  And the ability to slaughter cows for cow hides and beef would be amazing.   Domesticated animals could all use some attention to help diversify the food chain and provide multiple paths for composting and food production.

#3 2019-03-02 18:31:21

Greep

Eh, it's still free food.  Even cooked straight, that's nearly two berry bushes worth of food you're giving up per slaugther you skip.  But the silly newbie unfriendly rules being gone is nice, nobody should care if someone shears on accident anymore.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#4 2019-03-02 20:41:42

happynova

It also means an end to the days when not being able to get your hand on a knife could easily mean the end of the compost cycle.  Or at least makes those days a lot fewer.  Hooray!

#5 2019-03-02 21:25:57

fragilityh14

Greep wrote:

Eh, it's still free food.  Even cooked straight, that's nearly two berry bushes worth of food you're giving up per slaugther you skip.  But the silly newbie unfriendly rules being gone is nice, nobody should care if someone shears on accident anymore.

I've done a fair amount of general sheep care, and it ends up being very labor intensive, having to deal with slaughtering and removing a sheep every time you want dung can produce an unreasonable amount of meat. And if it's too labor intensive it really slows down one's ability to produce to compost. I honestly think maybe the lamb shouldn't produce dung when they grow up, but that would really nerf the sheep.

But, i suppose you're right, in that it costs the same to feed a lamb or a shorn sheep, so any time you did that you could have been getting 4 meat and dung, and are instead only getting the wool (and ability to produce lambs.)

I'm also just don't think that much about the actual use numbers when I play, I more just do what's working for me. Carrots and berries are not hard to get. With pumps the only real limiting factor is iron use, and that's one use per 5 carrots + whatever percentage of an iron use you use to produce 1 or 2 bowls of soil....and of course if you recycle the tool, then you get half again the use out of iron.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-03-02 21:31:32

Amon

If we could have a single cow produce a manure pie, and have pigs produce also manure. There could possibly be alternatives in villages to focus on say... pigs instead of sheep. Cows instead of sheep, depending on what animal is more available to a village. Ohol doesn't have many alternative routes to take, it's always the same grind up.
Cows leather, leather clothes, please. Pigs, almost useless, can be more useful. Bacon, steak, C'mon, make pigs food powerhouse.

It would just help out taking load from having to be round the sheep pen 24/7. I am generally indifferent about the change, really. You feed the lamb if you need the dung, if there was too much meat, too much dung and no scare for compost, you just fed the adults instead.

Last edited by Amon (2019-03-02 21:35:24)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-03-03 01:54:09

Redram

I keep wondering if there will eventually be more aggressive food decay.   It would give a strong incentive for buildings if food left outside decayed very rapidly.  Especially meat.

Board footer