One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 21:36:58

Grim_Arbiter

I hijacked a temple and turned it into an omelette station

omstat.jpg

So i was just born into a pretty new village that was about 6 or 7 gens in. It was just populated enough to where there wasn't an extreme food demand, but still supply could have always been increased. There were groups of two people working on the pen and a lot of farmers, but an over supply of plates, and an extreme abundance of ponds with geese eggs. There was a temple in the corner where it seemed like it had a bigger purpose than just being flashy, but I decided to make it my workstation.

I helped keep the village afloat with that station. Right when the population boom hit, my omelette station was there cranking out food as the berry fields got overeaten. I did other things on the way for eggs too though, and the flat stone fire only died near the end of my life when i had to mend the carrots and make more plates for the eventual pies.

So If you don't have a pen set up yet, and the berry and carrot fields do not have compost for support, don't forget about your friend the egg! Especially if there is an overabundance of ponds nearby.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2019-02-21 22:02:13

wondaland

Re: I hijacked a temple and turned it into an omelette station

I was there with you big_smile your omelets definitely saved us thank you. Even went out to get some eggs because it was so useful. I was Dshawn and helped get the sheep going before moving on to smithing/baking. The population did dwindle in my old age but when I died we had one fertile female and three kids so hopefully they make it.

Last edited by wondaland (2019-02-21 22:47:24)

#3 2019-02-21 22:43:57

fragilityh14

eggs are a really useful early survival food, by the time you have clay dishes the berries etc are often getting picked out, but there isn't enough agriculture to sustain you.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-02-22 01:25:54

pein

looks like  a  cow pen of mine maybe with 4 bushes 4 boxes and buckets would work

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-02-22 03:28:08

Spoonwood

Eggs from wild sources are never bad.  They cost no soil or water and regenerate when coming from geese ponds.  If someone complains about there not existing enough plates, then he or she needs to take responsibility for that clay shortage, get it, and if they know how to, fire up more clay plates.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-02-22 05:47:51

pein

Spoonwood wrote:

Eggs from wild sources are never bad.  They cost no soil or water and regenerate when coming from geese ponds.  If someone complains about there not existing enough plates, then he or she needs to take responsibility for that clay shortage, get it, and if they know how to, fire up more clay plates.

easy to say when the 72 bakers cant keep up with the mutton i produce big_smile yeah, do compost, bring the meat to the kitchen which is strategically placed to a total random position where the eves kid smashed one adobe by accident, then don't even complain that we don't have plates cause a rabbit is more important than bringing back an empty plate, even tho you don't know how to make plates
or hijack the cart of clay and only make crocks cause fuck the person who went 200 tiles away to gather it

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-02-22 07:13:22

wondaland

pein wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

easy to say when the 72 bakers cant keep up with the mutton i produce big_smile yeah, do compost, bring the meat to the kitchen which is strategically placed to a total random position where the eves kid smashed one adobe by accident, then don't even complain that we don't have plates cause a rabbit is more important than bringing back an empty plate, even tho you don't know how to make plates
or hijack the cart of clay and only make crocks cause fuck the person who went 200 tiles away to gather it

I feel you scattered plates are really frustrating, always internally facepalm when I see one in the wild, like dude that shit is multipurpose and really important.

On the flip side I've been making stew in some of the bigger towns I spawn in and every time I leave my station I return to my one  God damn plate gone. Massive pet peeve for sure.

#8 2019-02-22 07:37:15

Jk Howling

pein wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I feel you scattered plates are really frustrating, always internally facepalm when I see one in the wild, like dude that shit is multipurpose and really important.

On the flip side I've been making stew in some of the bigger towns I spawn in and every time I leave my station I return to my one  God damn plate gone. Massive pet peeve for sure.

Mood af on both accounts. Equal parts annoying having to run around gathering plates [I quickly picked up the habit of leaving my empty ones at the bakery whenever I finish a pie] and also having all the forge plates or the stew plate stolen by piemakers [or worse, unnecessary omelette spammers].

Like c'mon, maybe I can forgive someone picking up that empty plate laying by the stew farm, even if it's a bit annoying. But it should be common courtesy to leave 2-3 plates at the forge. And omelettes are great early game good, but once you have access to mutton and stew, they're completely unnecessary outside of occasional yum. There's no need to waste a bunch of plate space with them when it could be a pie instead.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2019-02-22 07:53:14

CatX

Yeah, I always run around in towns and look for things that were there minutes before.

It would be great if we could have tables. They could work like boxes, but with the ability to put filled bowls on them as well as small sized tools. Then we could use them either as food stations (a great way to show new players which bowls have edible foods) or as work stations. Items would still go missing, but experienced players would be able to notice in a glance that something was wrong and help keep the work station operative. Maybe the table could occupy two tiles, but have space for four items, thus help reduce the clutter in town as well. A stew work station for example could have a round stone, a flint, a plate, a bowl.

#10 2019-02-22 08:11:32

pein

put things on graves, of respect or lack of knowledge, people wont take them big_smile
worked with carrot

#11 2019-02-22 08:24:29

CatX

lol
What about sheep, do they eat carrots on graves?

#12 2019-02-22 08:35:29

Jadelink

Interesting.  I sometimes make it my job in larger messy towns to go and rescue the hunters and farmers abandoned stuff on the fringes.  The most common items I haul back?  Plates.

Plates get abandoned outside of camp, I presume by pie eating 'foragers' in favour of hauling much less valuable stuff back to camp a lot of the time, or so I suspect.

#13 2019-02-22 08:48:08

wondaland

CatX wrote:

Yeah, I always run around in towns and look for things that were there minutes before.

It would be great if we could have tables. They could work like boxes, but with the ability to put filled bowls on them as well as small sized tools. Then we could use them either as food stations (a great way to show new players which bowls have edible foods) or as work stations. Items would still go missing, but experienced players would be able to notice in a glance that something was wrong and help keep the work station operative. Maybe the table could occupy two tiles, but have space for four items, thus help reduce the clutter in town as well. A stew work station for example could have a round stone, a flint, a plate, a bowl.

This is a great idea. Maybe have them only able to hold plates bowls and maybe baskets just to make sure they aren't too op. And to stop people from dumping random stuff on them.

#14 2019-02-22 09:17:14

pein

CatX wrote:

lol
What about sheep, do they eat carrots on graves?

they only eat full rows and only when they got fur on them

#15 2019-02-22 09:20:04

voy178

Sometimes I wish there was a crock + rope + bowl combo so that people wouldn't be able to bring the stew bowl with them and had to leave it next to the crock.

#16 2019-02-22 11:15:31

CatX

voy178 wrote:

Sometimes I wish there was a crock + rope + bowl combo so that people wouldn't be able to bring the stew bowl with them and had to leave it next to the crock.

Yes, or to be able to attach a ladle.

Board footer