One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-18 22:03:40

JoshuaN

Foraging as a new meta. Towns are deathtraps.

I want to know what you guys think about foraging farther from town, rather than just the outskirts. You can support much more people with wild food that regenerates verse iron, water, and soil guzzling farms. It has yet to fail me.

I find that if i run away from town and forage on wild foods with a basket and a sharp stone i can survive any village famine. However upon returning, i starve. There's no food within the town. Noobs who keep producing babies overpopulate and kill the village. In the mean time i'm sitting happily as ever because i never have to go back to town. I can just kit myself out with clothes and survive the wild on my own. No i don't even have to cloth myself... i can just survive naked forever. But i want to be productive so i bring back clothes and a backpack and basket full of something useful, ropes, snares, iron, bananas. If the village is prosperous enough, i will take an empty cart and return with a full one.

Wild berries taste better than ones you make yourself.

I've recently also stopped letting my children die in the wild. If i raise them to three near a berry bush and provide them a basket, they can generally fend for themselves. This tends to go much better since i'm typically as far away from civilization as possible and thus we have all the wild food to ourselves.

Do you run away from a starving town to forage too? Do you just give up and move on to the next life to eat more farmed berries?

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-18 22:08:36)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#2 2019-02-18 22:16:36

stew

Re: Foraging as a new meta. Towns are deathtraps.

I think a lot of more experienced player do this. Last time I toke one fur and a needle with me and then wander a bit until I find an untouched green biome. Gathering milkweed and kill 2 seals, crafting pants and then two seal clothes, wearing one myself and bring one home. We had lots of fur at home but no more milkweed in our biome, so I repeated that two times until we made all fur into clothes. If I want to add value to the town what I also like to do is pickup a handcard and go out a bit. You will always find dead people with full set of clothes. Put em all into handcard and bring em back home, tada 2min spend for a "new" full set of clothes. I however much more prefair to do this as a boy and not as a girl.

Last edited by stew (2019-02-18 22:18:24)

#3 2019-02-18 22:22:45

JoshuaN

stew wrote:

I however much more prefair to do this as a boy and not as a girl.

u rite

#4 2019-02-18 23:06:22

Booklat1

JoshuaN wrote:

I want to know what you guys think about foraging farther from town, rather than just the outskirts. You can support much more people with wild food that regenerates verse iron, water, and soil guzzling farms. It has yet to fail me.

I find that if i run away from town and forage on wild foods with a basket and a sharp stone i can survive any village famine. However upon returning, i starve. There's no food within the town. Noobs who keep producing babies overpopulate and kill the village. In the mean time i'm sitting happily as ever because i never have to go back to town. I can just kit myself out with clothes and survive the wild on my own. No i don't even have to cloth myself... i can just survive naked forever. But i want to be productive so i bring back clothes and a backpack and basket full of something useful, ropes, snares, iron, bananas. If the village is prosperous enough, i will take an empty cart and return with a full one.

I've recently also stopped letting my children die in the wild. If i raise them to three near a berry bush and provide them a basket, they can generally fend for themselves. This tends to go much better since i'm typically as far away from civilization as possible and thus we have all the wild food to ourselves.

Do you run away from a starving town to forage too? Do you just give up and move on to the next life to eat more farmed berries?

this is exactly how people are supposed to play the game (though we need good players in town too)

The reason i'm so confident in not starving is cause I could always (before this update i mean) survive in the wild (maybe even provide for a kid). If you stay in town trying to help with no resources to do anything or to eat you'll most likely die or be a liability. This entire game economy is based on iron so bringing some home also always helps.

#5 2019-02-18 23:12:18

fragilityh14

yeah i've played like this for a really long time as well, and often tell my kids to get baskets and gather.

I ran away from a town earlier today, because they had no soil and i had used the last wheat to start a compost and everyone was in my way etc.

But i got to that town had no soil when i got there, and i was going to save it but decided not to (it appears they survived, i had one compost going when i ran off)

unfortunately, my family in my new home didn't make it past great great grandchild sad

Weren't gathering nearly enough bananas etc. Gathering is so important for early villages.

Carry food, carry a basket. It's straightforward.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-18 23:14:39

DestinyCall

I tried a nomadic Eve run the other day.   

Instead of finding a camp spot and settling down for the long haul, I held the first baby that was born to me and we went seal hunting together.   After I had that baby and myself clothed, I had another baby.  So I hunted a seal hide for that one too.    The first kid grew hair, so I moved my two kids toward the swamp, continuing to feed both of them until the second baby grew hair.   Then I brought them over to a berry bush and said my goodbyes.   It was a decent spot, so there was a chance they could make it there.  My son had already started to gather fire-making tools and his sister was gathering branches.

I headed north, across a wide expanse of badlands, searching for another grassland.   I had another baby along the way and kept going.   I found a prairie and ate carrots until I reached the next green space.  Sadly, I didn't find anymore seals, but I did come across another large expanse of green.   I left another clutch of babies in this area.  Two boys and one girl, this time.  The boys were new, but the girl seemed to know what she was doing.   I wished them luck and headed to the east.

I almost died crossing a wide tundra (still no seals), followed by an even larger swamp.  But managed to reach green again.   This time I had three girls.  All of them were new, from what I could tell.   They were pretty much doomed and I was pretty close to forty, so I found an area with lots of berry bushes and taught my daughters what I could before they were too big to pick up anymore.    They all died within a few minutes, but I think they learned a little bit about setting up a basic camp before the end.   At this point, I was over forty, so no more babies incoming.  It was time to check on my seed colonies. 

I headed back across the swamp and tundra to the spot where I left three kids.   Sadly, they didn't make it, but they had managed to make fire-making tools before the end.    After that, I went a little north and hunted rabbits in the prairie for a while.   I made a fire to cook the rabbits and then made myself a stylish backpack/loincloth combo.   I filled my pack and basket with tools and rabbits, then re-traced my steps back to my first baby drop spot.   I found evidence of recent activity, but couldn't find the camp.   My lineage tracker indicated there was a living girl child somewhere, but sadly, I never found them.   I ended up living out the rest of my life alone, munching on cooked rabbits.    Checking back on my lineage, my first two children lived into their fifties and Mary Winchester has nine children, one of whom lived to 59 years old ... but sadly, none of the girls made it to adulthood so the line died out at the third generation.   

It pleases me to know that my line lived on past my death although I'm sad that I couldn't find the settlement in my twilight years.  It would have been an exciting reunion and the rabbits I was carrying may have helped.

#7 2019-02-18 23:35:37

Peremptive

Cities keep surviving for generations based on foraging. if you look around all biomes are completely barren. There is no wild wheat left even because growing anything than berries is almost impossible. This creates a weird situation where everyone keeps starving other than the foragers and a few people who stick to the buildings and have some food stashed. Someone said that people starve, cities are ok... I think it is the opposite, cities starve while a few people make it. The only time I remember the towns I was in having some food around was when people kept killing all the kids for 10-12 minutes straight.

This means cities are mostly unsustainable since wild sources are going to run out over time.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-18 23:37:54)

#8 2019-02-18 23:39:58

DestinyCall

One of the best run town I've been in recently was all male.   We did a great job in that town.   Just four guys working together to make a functioning village.   Clean, efficient, lots of food, zero griefing, everyone clothed and plenty of pies.   It was a paradise.

I hope an Eve finds it someday, so our hard work is appreciated by new generations.

#9 2019-02-18 23:50:45

honikker

DestinyCall wrote:

Checking back on my lineage, my first two children lived into their fifties and Mary Winchester has nine children, one of whom lived to 59 years old ... but sadly, none of the girls made it to adulthood so the line died out at the third generation.   

It pleases me to know that my line lived on past my death although I'm sad that I couldn't find the settlement in my twilight years.  It would have been an exciting reunion and the rabbits I was carrying may have helped.

Oh damn, I think I was Dean Winchester. Or Sam? I dunno which one, but I remember having a sis named Mary and we went around looking for you until we decided to settle someplace. After Mary got too old to have kids she decided to go out looking for you. Sad to know she never found you. :c

edit// to actually add to the discussion: yeah, it's easy to survive a famine. I was in a village once where the farmed berry bushes ran out of berries to sustain compost, but there were plenty of full wild bushes just a little south to re-kickstart the process. And barely anyone touched the stew for some reason? Or the person cooking it kept it well stocked enough that I never noticed an empty crock pot.

When food gets scarce I usually go out into the world unless given a specific task that few other people are doing ie. composting or farming. Life is easier out and about. ?

Last edited by honikker (2019-02-18 23:56:20)

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#10 2019-02-19 00:16:33

JoshuaN

Yea, if a town has an axe, adze, saw, flint tipped bow drill, and froe i basically just go hunt down some milkweed for a rope using a basket to make my hand cart. I pick up some wild food and and a sharp stone along the way. My next stop is a swamp biome with lots of reeds to make baskets. After that i just look around for what i can gather, usually a snare and rabbits are my next goal along with thread wherever i can find it. If we have sheep for ball of thread then i just skip the milkweed bit, or only take back ropes. I spend the later half of my life gathering iron, buttlogs, or large stones for construction. A bp with a pie and a sharpstone is also nice to take into a green biome. You can come back with 8 straight shafts and 8 curved shafts double-double stacked. That will help blacksmithing process immensely with the tinder for charcoal and the shafts for tools.

Every once in a while i'll take at most a pie and a few smaller foods for yum bonus and then head straight back out into the wild.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-19 00:18:31)

#11 2019-02-19 00:37:39

pein

well, noobs don't move far
they grow hair, they might know to make pies with avalaible resources, they cant fix issues like no carrot, no bowls, no dung
so even if you got a good setup, people overpopulate

the moment you got 3 girls and each of them has more, and before the next 10 minutes even more
you have more than 12 people and maybe 1-2 of them decent
pop control needs logical people, and not noobs who prefer their ingame daughters, rather than the toddlers who just need some food to reach adulthood
i think its an overall waste to have babies constantly
think about food: you got 1250 pip worth, that supports 10 people 10 min
toddlers waste more as they got small stomach and starving message at 4 bars with overall 7-8 bars
so they count as 1.5
you got 15 people, someone will die, even medium skill dies when they cant find a stew pot on time
if they consume and still die, is overall loss
at 20 bars people are likely to find food
now this adds up in 60 min to average 30 people? that's more like 2 towns not one

so you need to go and make a camp elsewhere, and kidnap a girl there
they get better recharge on wild food and better food supply
then you can swap around camps and if one dies out split the load before next baby boom
i do think that new babies decrease the survival rate of toddlers before them or vice versa

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-02-19 01:32:04

DestinyCall

honikker wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Checking back on my lineage, my first two children lived into their fifties and Mary Winchester has nine children, one of whom lived to 59 years old ... but sadly, none of the girls made it to adulthood so the line died out at the third generation.   

Oh damn, I think I was Dean Winchester. Or Sam? I dunno which one, but I remember having a sis named Mary and we went around looking for you until we decided to settle someplace. After Mary got too old to have kids she decided to go out looking for you. Sad to know she never found you. :c

edit// to actually add to the discussion: yeah, it's easy to survive a famine. I was in a village once where the farmed berry bushes ran out of berries to sustain compost, but there were plenty of full wild bushes just a little south to re-kickstart the process. And barely anyone touched the stew for some reason? Or the person cooking it kept it well stocked enough that I never noticed an empty crock pot.

When food gets scarce I usually go out into the world unless given a specific task that few other people are doing ie. composting or farming. Life is easier out and about. ?

Ah cool!  You must have been Dean, my first child.  Sam didn't make it sad

I figured that you must have moved off somewhere, but I ran out of time to search because I was too old by that point.  I was happy to see that you both made it to old age.   I was worried that I'd doomed everyone with my footloose playstyle.    I usually take the path of letting my first kids die so I can gather tools, but with that strategy I always run the risk of waiting too long and either running out of time or female children.   This strategy is also risky and puts a heavy burden on the kids .. but at least they have a fighting chance.    If I had let my first two batches of kids die while setting up a basic camp, I'd have ended up with three very inexperienced girls at the end of my fertile life .. that would have been interesting.

If someone wants to try this style of Eveing, I highly recommend clothing your children, if you can.  It definitely gives them a better chance of making it, I think.   And spread out the camps so they do not deplete all the wild food in the green space.

#13 2019-02-19 04:41:25

fragilityh14

I've attempted the nomadic Eve before. None of my camps have made it though. It is hard to find kids who can do well staying alone in the wilds. A talented kid is way better off to get started if they get dropped in a decent point at age 5 and have some years without kids to get set up.

Also if you're on the move the reed skirts are really worthwhile. If you're staying in the area you have to question the use of a rope but in the wilds those are from really plentiful resources. You can get that and the seal skin super low tech and have a moderate amount of cold protection.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2019-02-19 04:49:37

antking:]#

fragilityh14 wrote:

I've attempted the nomadic Eve before. None of my camps have made it though. It is hard to find kids who can do well staying alone in the wilds. A talented kid is way better off to get started if they get dropped in a decent point at age 5 and have some years without kids to get set up.

Also if you're on the move the reed skirts are really worthwhile. If you're staying in the area you have to question the use of a rope but in the wilds those are from really plentiful resources. You can get that and the seal skin super low tech and have a moderate amount of cold protection.

In theory couldn't you craft a bow and kill, muffle and wolves  it their many in the area? making a bow isn't that hard, and by hunting muffle with lambs you increase your children's chance of surviving as they can get sheep faster!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#15 2019-02-19 08:45:26

DestinyCall

You can craft a bow to kill mouflon, but killing seals only requires a long shaft, while crafting a bow requires quite a bit of milkweed and other stuff to put together.  It's a pretty significant time commitment and, as an Eve, time is babies.   It is also difficult to carry a bow around as a nomadic Eve, because you can't carry a basket or baby at the same time as the bow.   For seal hunting, you just set the baby down, kill the seal, then leave the long shaft behind.  Unfortunately, clothing options are pretty limited without access to a bone needle.  And getting a bone needle requires fire-making tools.  That can also be a challenge for a nomad.   Although it is possible, especially if you find a really big green space with plentiful milkweed.   

If you are staying in one spot, rushing the bow can be very useful.  Especially now that clothing is more vital.   You can hunt wild sheep for the best hide and kill predators, like boar and wolf.   You won't be able to harvest the meat from mouflon or wear the wolf cap until later, since if you rush the bow, you probably don't have a knife and might not have a bone needle/thread yet.

#16 2019-02-19 12:20:33

betame

Remind people in and out of game:
"go eat from far"

JoshuaN wrote:

and Wild berries near camp are as bitter as the babies they starve.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#17 2019-02-19 17:11:39

fragilityh14

i had a game like this the other day, where I was a daughter to a noob eve. Who btw lived to be in her 40s despite saying it was her 3rd game, to all the people saying this is impossible for noobs.

Anyway, the camp site wasn't ideal. It came _very_ close to surviving, but i didn't find clay on my first run looking for it when we badly needed an oven. Someone had already made a few pies but the oven actually didn't get operational, for no other reason than that i missed getting adobe. After that i had to run too far to get soil, to the next green biome. But i had told everyone, over and over again, "lots of berries a ways NW, you need food to get there".

There was six wild gooseberry bushes only i had touched.

Anyway, soil was out and we had some iron tools but hadn't made a shovel (this is my fault, my daughter asked me too and i'm not an experienced enough black smith to do it in a make or break situation, though my not doing it broke us).

So i get back with a basket of soil, and see the town has indeed gone into food crisis, with unbaked pies sitting there and no oven. there is one rabbit left, i almost ate it to survive then made the split second decision to let myself starve, because i was 53.

They didn't make it, though my daughters final words were "my triplets killed our village", but it wasn't obvious what they did. It was a fragile enough village, if they were noobs eating berries that would have been it.

The point is, i informed them over and over again where to run in a food crisis, and it doesn't appear anyone did. It was nor prohibitively expensive far, a child at least could have left with 1 berry in bowl and came back with 5 a few times.

Further though, it was just a bit of bad luck and bad planning, re: the pies and the oven especially but also my night making a fkn shovel.  (and i do know how to smith, i'm sure i could have done it, i just never do)

But see, this was all with a noob eve mom, who put us down in a bad position, and a daughter who kept triplets. [I'm on the "twins are evil" bandwagon]

Anyway, the point is, if I was 20 years younger I would have easily survived that, because i knew where farther out wild food was, but for some reason no one was prepared to bolt when things went bad, despite my making sure they all knew the rendezvous and regroup point. [though i think the triplets stripped the berries before anyone knew what happened]

Listen to your mom!

#18 2019-02-19 19:33:03

DestinyCall

That is an interesting story about an Eve camp starving to death, Fragility.   Not sure why you think it proves this update is not awful. 

I have been in many Eve camps like the one you described.   New mother, building a cold camp in the green.   Everyone banding together and trying as hard as they can to survive.  Resources too far away in too much cold with too little food to keep things going.  Eventually everyone dies to simple mistakes or animal attacks or yellow fever or not running for food fast enough.   But back before this update, if your Eve knew what she was doing, she would look for a warmer location so her babies had a better chance of living and you could work together to build something sustainable for many generations.   This is why so many experienced players would /die out of your cold camps.  They knew how foolish it was to build in the cold since, even in a milder climate, it was rough to be an Eve.   Lots of Eve camps fail because they don't get iron tools fast enough or they take too long to start farming or they deplete the nearby wild food sources too quickly or they get too many new players or a single griefer.

I am glad that the hot biomes are more severe now.  They shouldn't have been easier to live in than a green grassland.  But the grasslands are just too cold.   It was a mistake for Jason to leave them "unchanged".    Grasslands do not need to be a frigid hell to make early game hard.   This extra challenge might stimulate some experienced players, like yourself, or people that enjoy really hardcore games, but it is painful for the majority of players, both new and old.    Challenge can be good and a survival game should feel challenging to be rewarding and fun, but there is a very fine line between "challenging" and "frustrating".    Frustration is not fun.  It is not enjoyable.   It is not rewarding.   It just pisses you off and makes you want to do something better with your free time.   Dying repeatedly is not fun ... being left to die because your village lacks the resources for another baby is not fun ... leaving your own babies to die because you can't feed another baby is not fun ...  getting born into eve camps and tiny villages over and over is not fun.  I miss the big towns and the sense of progress toward true civilization.  I've been an Eve more times in the past five days than I have in the last five weeks.   It is getting old.    I can survive and make adjustments, because I understand the mechanics now, but they are still broken and frustrating and unpleasant.   Last week, I would have recommended this game to any of my friends without reservation.  Now, I would only recommend it to the ones that enjoy impossibly hard games.   I doubt the majority of my friends would last long enough to reach a point where the game-play stops being nothing but frustration and pointless deaths.

I think the saddest thing about this update is it has driven home the realization that my idea of what is special and great about this game doesn't line up with Jason's vision.   I might be able to adapt to these changes, but if things continue in this direction, I can foresee a time when the game that I loved will be gone.    This is a very special game and I doubt that I'll find another one like it.    I'm very glad that Jason made this game, even if he eventually makes it into something I can't play anymore.  I don't have the talent for programming, but I have some idea how difficult it is to make something like this - the huge amount of time and effort that goes into making an entire world from scratch.  It is immense.  I'm glad I started playing it when I did and I've enjoyed my time in the world of OHOL ... except for the mosquitoes.  I hate those guys so much.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-19 19:43:21)

#19 2019-02-19 23:02:35

fragilityh14

i live in a grassland and it would be miserable and/or deadly without clothing like 10 months of the year.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-19 23:03:39)

Listen to your mom!

#20 2019-02-19 23:39:43

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I'm glad I started playing it when I did and I've enjoyed my time in the world of OHOL ... except for the mosquitoes.  I hate those guys so much.

Hey Destiny,

I made a jungle village on server12 before the update.  I made four mosquito tombs (with help from "Frost"), entombing them with walls on all sides at the left edges of my village.  A Twitch streamer named Stifado rides up to them a little after 10:35:00 here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380956192? … &sort=time  Perhaps you will enjoy seeing mosquitoes locked up that way.  Stifado only sees three of the tombs.  I don't know if I'll ever go back to that town or build another mosquito tomb, since it doesn't look like the jungle will ever be good like that again.  If I'm wrong about that though, maybe I will go back or entomb more mosquitoes in another life.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#21 2019-02-20 01:25:38

Lone Wolf 2.0

Haven't been a nomadic Eve yet, but I've definitely left towns before to be a hermit. I've only done it about... two times now? And each time I specifically set off to find a dead town. The first time I could tell a famine was oncoming. We had very little compost going, and it was clear nobody was working on it. Plus, the farm simply wasn't large enough to keep us all feed, even though we had anywhere from 3 - 5 people working on it at once! So, not only was food about to be scarce there was also the fact that there were multiple knives laying about. I got out of dodge and camped in the nearby jungle biome, trying to decide if I should wait it out until most of the people had died and gotten the farm back up or just fly the coop entirely. I decided to just keep going, and none of my children survived except when I had one at the very last minute, a daughter.

She asked me what I was doing out there. I told her that I was a nomad now, my town had gone to hell and I had enough. I told her I'd been keeping track of where I was going via a bell, that was it too long to get to (it was 18 km away). But that if she had enough interest, she could go south east and perhaps find it. I split from her, and told her good luck. She wanted to travel with me, but I told her it's easier to travel alone, and you don't have to stop as often for food breaks. I ended up finding her near the end, she had gotten herself a cart out from the wilds and was carrying a son! I died not a few minutes later, and left a message for my long deceased uncle who had helped raise me. She lived to be an elder, and said she had decided to just solo it. None of her children survived to adulthood.

The most recent time was after the update. It's true what people say, barely anybody stops to talk and everyone works three times as hard as they used to. I was designated as a builder, and after coming back to see nobody taking care of the berries, I just set off to look for food in the wilds. I would come back to drop off kids and supplies, then go back to where I knew it was safe.

I think the next time I play as an Eve or a girl in this update I'm going to teach them how to be nomads and survive. It's difficult but manageable if you know what you are doing. A sharp stone coupled with a basket is great. If you see an Eve Lone/Nomad running around it might just be me.

Have you been to Harvest town, a place of plenty?

Notable lives:  Akira Milk, Bud, Lotta Dyke

#22 2019-02-20 06:53:00

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Hey Destiny,

I made a jungle village on server12 before the update.  I made four mosquito tombs (with help from "Frost"), entombing them with walls on all sides at the left edges of my village.  A Twitch streamer named Stifado rides up to them a little after 10:35:00 here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380956192? … &sort=time  Perhaps you will enjoy seeing mosquitoes locked up that way.  Stifado only sees three of the tombs.  I don't know if I'll ever go back to that town or build another mosquito tomb, since it doesn't look like the jungle will ever be good like that again.  If I'm wrong about that though, maybe I will go back or entomb more mosquitoes in another life.

Ohh nice!   I'm quite fond of trapping mosquitoes as a quality of life improvement for jungle living. 

I've spent several of my jungle-born lives doing exactly that (with mixed level of success).   Took me a while to work out the best way to do it and I got stung a lot while learning, but it was a fun, if challenging way to spend a life.   The hardest part was convincing the other villagers to leave my firewood alone while I work ... everyone tries to be helpful and stack it.   I tried using rabbit bones, but I was never fast enough and they would decay away while I was still moving the bugs to the tomb.   I probably should have used milkweed or bone needles, but I hate to leave behind trash, so I tended to use firewood and clay, since they are both useful after I'm done with them and people (mostly) leave them alone.    Depending on the layout of the village, graves also work pretty nicely.

#23 2019-02-20 13:56:20

Spoonwood

I don't regard milkweed seeds as trash.  I don't get why people have recommended burning those.  A giant milkweed farm I don't think made for a bad idea even before the update.  Too much milkweed is not something that I believe ever can have honestly said to "be a thing".  One way to look at it, I guess, comes as that clutter can lead to ideas for future projects or give you something to do if you're not sure what's a productive thing to do, giving you time to think.  I recall talking to "Frost" a few times, and I start picking branches mid-conversation, as it's simple enough to do and almost surely useful.  Things like that, I think, can fill in the gap between bigger projects instead of just standing or walking around.  Though maybe not for you, I don't know.  I just think doing things like that for me can help me get more done over time.

Bone needles... yuck.  There is a limit on those things.  I did use bone needles after a bit.  I found those really good, and faster than milkweed seeds.  I also had an easier go of it, because I could use anything I wanted to, so it was like I used bananans, firewood, butt logs, milkweed seeds, and bone needles.  The one thing I would move was kindling, mostly because I didn't like using kindling.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#24 2019-02-20 16:07:16

DestinyCall

Yeah, I think I would lean toward mix of firewood from nearby trees and milkweed seeds if I did trapping again.  Rabbit bones are amazing for a small area, since they are very fast to make and decay after a while to declutter the floor when you are done, but they didn't work well in large areas.  The bones (or needles) are also very hard to see, so I would miss gaps that would allow the bugs to escape.

If you have access to a cart with baskets, you can also go around the village clearing random small item cutter (like eggs) and move it to the jungle tiles.  Three items per basket in a cart is nicer than moving logs or graves which only block four spaces per cartload.  But if the area is quite large, taking the time to plant a couple milkweed plants in strategic locations is probably the most time effiecent method available.

#25 2019-02-20 16:18:03

Falsewall

DestinyCall wrote:

I tried a nomadic Eve run the other day.   

Instead of finding a camp spot and settling down for the long haul, I held the first baby that was born to me and we went seal hunting together.   After I had that baby and myself clothed, I had another baby.  So I hunted a seal hide for that one too.    The first kid grew hair, so I moved my two kids toward the swamp, continuing to feed both of them until the second baby grew hair.   Then I brought them over to a berry bush and said my goodbyes.   It was a decent spot, so there was a chance they could make it there.  My son had already started to gather fire-making tools and his sister was gathering branches.

I headed north, across a wide expanse of badlands, searching for another grassland.   I had another baby along the way and kept going.   I found a prairie and ate carrots until I reached the next green space.  Sadly, I didn't find anymore seals, but I did come across another large expanse of green.   I left another clutch of babies in this area.  Two boys and one girl, this time.  The boys were new, but the girl seemed to know what she was doing.   I wished them luck and headed to the east.

I almost died crossing a wide tundra (still no seals), followed by an even larger swamp.  But managed to reach green again.   This time I had three girls.  All of them were new, from what I could tell.   They were pretty much doomed and I was pretty close to forty, so I found an area with lots of berry bushes and taught my daughters what I could before they were too big to pick up anymore.    They all died within a few minutes, but I think they learned a little bit about setting up a basic camp before the end.   At this point, I was over forty, so no more babies incoming.  It was time to check on my seed colonies. 

I headed back across the swamp and tundra to the spot where I left three kids.   Sadly, they didn't make it, but they had managed to make fire-making tools before the end.    After that, I went a little north and hunted rabbits in the prairie for a while.   I made a fire to cook the rabbits and then made myself a stylish backpack/loincloth combo.   I filled my pack and basket with tools and rabbits, then re-traced my steps back to my first baby drop spot.   I found evidence of recent activity, but couldn't find the camp.   My lineage tracker indicated there was a living girl child somewhere, but sadly, I never found them.   I ended up living out the rest of my life alone, munching on cooked rabbits.    Checking back on my lineage, my first two children lived into their fifties and Mary Winchester has nine children, one of whom lived to 59 years old ... but sadly, none of the girls made it to adulthood so the line died out at the third generation.   

This sounds like a great idea.  If you can spread your seed into a bunch of areas decent areas you could hopefully lessen overpopulation in the future. 

Every living girl would be a conduit to accept overloads of players joining the server.  This would baby output of their sisters reduces and spread cosumption over a large area.

Last edited by Falsewall (2019-02-20 16:18:34)

Board footer