One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-18 18:08:55

BladeWoods

The new eve baby strategy!

Use hot flat rocks. Babies on hot flat rocks.

The hot flat rock provides warmth albeit less than a fire and you can cook omelots on it. Most importantly, cooking an omelot on the hot flat rock resets the timer. As long as you keep cooking one omelot within every 2 minutes, you got an everlasting heat source. Plus omelots to eat.

Way better than constantly fetching branches and making kindling.

ALTERNATIVELY, Babies on SALT! Perhaps an even greater strategy. Mentioned by Pein.

Two bowls are required
Use bowl on icepond to get salt water. Only need to go to icepond once.
Put the salt water over hot coals, you have 2m 10s to return
The simmering salt water and the resulting salt on coals gives as much heat as a hot flat rock, keep babies on the salt
Remove the salt, add the salt to a bowl of water to get a bowl of saltwater again. Put back onto the coals. You have another 2 whole minutes to do this.
Repeat.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-02-18 22:14:10)

#2 2019-02-18 18:34:03

CrazyEddie

Re: The new eve baby strategy!

omg genius

#3 2019-02-18 18:52:13

DestinyCall

I love it.   I'm going to make me some hot baby omelettes on my next eve run.

#4 2019-02-18 18:58:07

antking:]#

BladeWoods wrote:

Use hot flat rocks. Babies on hot flat rocks.

The hot flat rock provides warmth albeit less than a fire and you can cook omelots on it. Most importantly, cooking an omelot on the hot flat rock resets the timer. As long as you keep cooking one omelot within every 2 minutes, you got an everlasting heat source. Plus omelots to eat.

Way better than constantly fetching branches and making kindling.

the next step... cook the babies!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#5 2019-02-18 19:04:09

Booklat1

Yeah, this is pretty good.  And eating eggs is quite nice too.

#6 2019-02-18 19:16:52

Spoonwood

Of course you need an empty plate for that, and making at least one empty plate will take longer than making a fire without a kiln.  I'm not saying which is better.  My guess is the omelette strategy, but eggs also have to have spawned and 'everlasting' depends on the number of ponds nearby also.  Maybe that means the first firing in a kiln should be small something like a two plates and a bowl so farming can get started, or a plate and a bowl so you can cook eggs and someone can start a farm.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-02-18 19:49:43

CrazyEddie

You can get an everlasting hot rock even without plates. You need eggs and a weak skewer.

Put the egg on the rock. Let it sit there because you have no plates. Ten seconds later you have a burned omelette. Scrape it off with the weak skewer within 100 seconds. Now you have a flat rock with its timer reset, and you have two minutes to put another egg on it.

Use a weak skewer because it won't get used up. If you use a normal skewer, after a few times it will break and you'll need to get a new skewer.

Make a weak skewer by hitting it with a round rock to make a home marker, then use a sharp stone to cut the marker down.

#8 2019-02-18 20:09:29

stew

Hah.. I was just born to a 2ed gen mother who was doing that.

#9 2019-02-18 20:19:37

Dodge

Fly to tutorial, make family, enjoy the infinite fire

https://onetech.info/2709-Large-Slow-Fi … ns-forever

#10 2019-02-18 20:27:10

Tarr
Banned

Dodge wrote:

All the tutorial fires previous to the patch have been unusable. At best you can keep yourself warm with the fire but not cook on them and what not. Might be able to light off of it but I can't exactly recall if you can.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-02-18 20:53:06

stew

Dodge wrote:

If you setup a tutorial city I will be happy to be born in it smile

But how would you manage to fly there? Lets say you have a friend in discord, he breaks out the tutorial and setup a landing stripe. How will you know in which direction you have to lift off. And wouldn't there be a lot landing stripes in the way? (i read it scans the hole 180° in front of you).

#12 2019-02-18 21:00:57

Tarr
Banned

stew wrote:
Dodge wrote:

If you setup a tutorial city I will be happy to be born in it smile

But how would you manage to fly there? Lets say you have a friend in discord, he breaks out the tutorial and setup a landing stripe. How will you know in which direction you have to lift off. And wouldn't there be a lot landing stripes in the way? (i read it scans the hole 180° in front of you).

Tutorial is generally east (though sometimes it's been known to overflow and end up out to the far far west.) So as long as you know to fly east from your home you should be find and dandy to get over there without any actual hassle. Most towns have stopped making random ass landing strips so now is a great time to either abuse tutorial raids or use the plane for short distance travel to resources. Since tutorial landing strips last two hours and only take twenty or so minutes to throw up you've got plenty of time to be reborn wherever town currently has a plane.

The real issue here is that you're going to have to place the plane away from the city and even if you do that it's likely to be found and stolen. I've had 10+ planes dumped into the tutorial by players who don't pay attention (and don't put a spare gas tank in the plane) or people just steal the things and drive them into the wilderness. It's super easy to set up a tutorial village however, the tutorial areas can be incredibly hostile towards life due to the luck of biome generation. However, now that you don't need desert/jungle with water it might be a lot more viable to do so.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-02-18 21:00:59

Dodge

Tarr wrote:
Dodge wrote:

All the tutorial fires previous to the patch have been unusable. At best you can keep yourself warm with the fire but not cook on them and what not. Might be able to light off of it but I can't exactly recall if you can.

Only usable for heat, but the infinite coals may or may not be usable for fire (since you light the firebrand) but not sure if they revert back to regular coals or infinite coals  after adding kindling

#14 2019-02-18 21:20:44

pein

make salt water in bowl
put water into salt
make salt water in bowl big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2019-02-18 21:48:25

Starknight_One

Dodge wrote:
Tarr wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Only usable for heat, but the infinite coals may or may not be usable for fire (since you light the firebrand) but not sure if they revert back to regular coals or infinite coals  after adding kindling

I believe they become regular coals and burn to ash in two minutes.

#16 2019-02-18 21:56:33

Rage
Banned

Outstanding you guys point out a strategy to help combat the dev's stupid decisions. He does not even like his own ideas that make this game livable. I would assume the next update this gets 'fixed'. Good luck to all you suckers. I am going to war with jason instead of wasting more time on this bullshit game.

YES i can survive, YES i can prosper, but it is NOT FUN. This is bullshit, he thinks he really is some kind of god and expects his players to suffer his visions.

The BIBLE had scriptures that were suppose to be 'sacred' like stoning women who were raped, gays and bad kids.

I think of jason as exactly this kind of entity. His tyrannic rule has to end.

If this was a free game then what ever, do what ever he likes but he is selling and advertising this as something it is NOT.

I am about to go to war over this bullshit.

COMING SOON

Rage vs Jason

Last edited by Rage (2019-02-18 21:58:14)

#17 2019-02-18 21:59:15

BladeWoods

Spoonwood wrote:

Of course you need an empty plate for that, and making at least one empty plate will take longer than making a fire without a kiln.  I'm not saying which is better.  My guess is the omelette strategy, but eggs also have to have spawned and 'everlasting' depends on the number of ponds nearby also.  Maybe that means the first firing in a kiln should be small something like a two plates and a bowl so farming can get started, or a plate and a bowl so you can cook eggs and someone can start a farm.

You do need plates, but building a kiln and making plates is like the very first thing you should do when you start a camp.

The exhaustive eve strategy:
Be a nomad living off berries and other wild edibles
Get basket
Keep travelling, find milkweed, collect rope, make hatchet and bowdrill
Find a spot to camp (By waterland, grassland, and at least somewhat close juniper tree)
Collect adobe and clay, make a kiln
Start fire, make mainly plates, a couple bowls, and coal
Put flat rock on fire when it goes out
Live off omelots and keep babies on the hot rock

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-02-18 22:02:27)

#18 2019-02-18 22:06:14

BladeWoods

pein wrote:

make salt water in bowl
put water into salt
make salt water in bowl big_smile

That's genius, I'll add it at the top

#19 2019-02-18 22:06:25

Rage
Banned

#20 2019-02-18 23:32:40

DestinyCall

antking:]# wrote:

the next step... cook the babies!

Mmmm ... meat pies.    And so resource-efficient!

#21 2019-02-18 23:39:38

Spoonwood

BladeWoods wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

You do need plates, but building a kiln and making plates is like the very first thing you should do when you start a camp.

The exhaustive eve strategy:
Be a nomad living off berries and other wild edibles
Get basket
Keep travelling, find milkweed, collect rope, make hatchet and bowdrill
Find a spot to camp (By waterland, grassland, and at least somewhat close juniper tree)
Collect adobe and clay, make a kiln
Start fire, make mainly plates, a couple bowls, and coal
Put flat rock on fire when it goes out
Live off omelots and keep babies on the hot rock

So a few things.  No, it's not efficient to collect rope, if you mean to get more than one rope.  It's more efficient to make one rope and then complete one of the tools.  I use to go for all three of the primary tools straight away.  I usually make the rabbit snare first.  Then I make the fire bow drill.  Then I complete the stone hatchet.  The stone hatchet has to come last, because as soon as it gets made, a sharp stone is lost.  If the rabbit snare isn't desirable right away now (though I kind of doubt that), then the order should be the fire bow drill and the stone hatchet.  Bottom line though... no, collecting multiple ropes is probably not optimally efficient.  Making the tools that you want first one by one results in less running around, since collecting multiple ropes and then finding branches takes more time, because if you do that, you pass up so many branches while collecting a second rope.  Of course, that's assuming that the grassland you find first has twelve milkweed and enough branches.

Second, when collecting adobe and clay I would also during the same trip make new baskets.  That way my children would have baskets ready to go. But, I don't how feasible that is now, since when I did that I would drop my children off in a warm desert spot.  Making a new basket in the same trip as getting as getting adobe or clay might now all too likely result in the child starving... I don't know.

Third, plates aren't useful for farming.  Bowls are.  Sure, if you want to cook a lot of eggs, then plates come as needed, but really a balance of bowls and plates seems right, unless you want to rush cooking eggs or rush the farm (I did two bowls and the nozzle via the first fire sometimes before as I had children tell me 'need farm' sometimes or something like throwing soil above the kiln before I've fired anything, instead of say gathering food or resources).  Or at least it was.  With the desirability of heating any infant now by fire or a hot flat rock, I still think a balance comes as needed.  Someone in another thread pointed out that popcorn and green beans make for good foods (and I agree even more so now since you want to have your camp close to the prairie).  That entails that a balance of plates and bowls comes as desireable, but apparently it's not happening.  Why?  Because not enough bowls have gotten fired.

Also, I would completely expect that finding a flat rock has become more difficult since no one is settling in a desert any longer.  So cooking eggs early has become more difficult.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2019-02-19 00:01:47

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Someone in another thread pointed out that popcorn and green beans make for good foods (and I agree even more so now since you want to have your camp close to the prairie).  That entails that a balance of plates and bowls comes as desireable, but apparently it's not happening.  Why?  Because not enough bowls have gotten fired.

Also, I would completely expect that finding a flat rock has become more difficult since no one is settling in a desert any longer.  So cooking eggs early has become more difficult.

Although you CAN use popcorn and green beans as early food, I don't really recommend them over the more common options - gooseberry and carrots.   Carrots are the best choice for FIRST crop because they grow fast and can be eaten raw.   Gooseberries take a whopping 12 minutes to produce their first crop while it takes just five minutes for a carrot patch to mature. Corn take even less time to grow - only four minutes - but the ears must be shucked and left to dry for an additional four minutes before it can be popped in a bowl.   If you eat the corn raw, you get only 20 pips from the four ears of corn, instead of 48 pips from the popcorn (or 35 pips from carrots/berry bush), so you lose half the food value by being impatient and eating it raw.   Green beans also grow in 4 minutes, but if you do not harvest within the next two minutes, they will dry up and require further processing to be edible.   Also, the green beans have the lowest total value - just 24 pips from a full row of green beans.   For the same amount of dirt/water, you could have grown another row of carrots or corn or planted another berry bush.    The other issue is that early camps have limited pottery.  Bowls are very precious and necessary for farming so it is wise to avoid occupying too many bowls with foods like popcorn and green beans early on.   At the very least, be sure to check your bowl supply and make more bowls if it looks like the supply is low ... or just make more bowls, since you'll need them eventually.

If food crisis is looming and you have no crops, plant carrots and cook omelettes/rabbits.  Once you have a little breathing room, plant berries and corn (for popcorn).   When you have squash, plant beans and start making stew.  When you have rabbit meat, plant wheat and start making pies like crazy.

Board footer