One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-18 14:16:26

Ellesanna

New Eve Strategy

So with the new update, eveing is a bit more tricky and some of the things done before to get a civ started will not work now. Rushing to get kilns and iron tools started isn't working very well- or not as well as before. The only time I 've gotten close to getting something actually started was when I just got a fire with loads of food and kindle nearby and just sat near it whilst popping out babies and raising them to childhood and then having them do the labor needed- directing them to get rope and other resources to get farming and trapping underway. Does anyone have better strategies or guides as to how to eve now with the new update?

#2 2019-02-18 16:35:58

mrbah

Re: New Eve Strategy

What i did was establishing a fire that i kept my children at and  gathering bowls of berries, that way you can alternate between bowl of berry and berry.

at the point where I manage to get a kiln with bellows, the hatchet is either gone or broken.

#3 2019-02-18 19:12:14

Peremptive

yeah milkweed is super important now, you will go through hatchets easily and you need a lot of thread either way

#4 2019-02-18 22:58:42

pein

make a pack and don't keep babies until you got 6-10 rabbits
you can have two packs for 9 rabbit and 1 more for a pouch

you can start a farm with a pouch a basket and a few saplings, carrot is faster, also you can have decent amount of seed collected from nearby savanah. pack is better than clothes as you can store food, clothes don't do much until you make a fire
fire tools can cook the rabbits, then cooked rabbit in pack gives you a bit of free time
you will have more clothes too, later on, but you don't need to wait rabbit families, think of the now
if the rabbit holes are abandoned, they come back in two hours, you either don't reach two hours, or got packs for 2 hours so they can go elsewhere
generally you want a big green biome, with soil piles next to 2 ponds, that should be enough
a few more ponds further wont hurt but you can upgrade wells in time
have kids later
one, girl, smart. she can get branches and scavenge food until you ready with the bowls
you focus on clothes, seal skin, furs, maybe a  straw hat, if enough ropes then skirt
chances are kids die anyway, at least they should die closer, wild food nearby is important and if you got multiple kids, they eat it too early
so no reason to have more than one kid at a time, no reason to keep more than 4 in a medium biome, if you kept one and dies after eating off a half bush, then already harder for next kid
if you don't have farm ,they need to follow, if they don't then let them die, clearly they don't know that you don't have time and sitting around wont help

if you lucky and your daughter grows up, and get a smart grandkid you still got a few minutes for iron and kiln
it works to just put kiln near clay and branches, a city needs to be planend, they got better chances later on if they got clothes

you can go nomad and just wander around making clothes, but that wont work for boys who get lost, if you keep a boy, you need to focus farm, if you keep a girl, she can start a family anywhere.
you can also raise a girl, set up bowls, and farm then go further, do it again and keep a daughter/granddaughter on the other camp
you get better refresh rate on the wild food, and split the load of babies
most optimal would be leaving one girl with 1-2 boys and move out
if you got 2 camps, you can alternate until one girl stays alive in one, then help in the other one
if you are lucky both stay alive, then you can try a third camp too

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-02-18 23:31:28

stew

go into greenland and craft 3 tools: hatched, firebow, snare. If the biome is not super big and you used most of the milkweed just move on. If you find a prairie go into it and hope to find another adjusted greenland. However before you leave your first greenland biome, check if there is an adjusted icebiome and if so hunt a seal. Asuming the greenbiome is BIG or you found another greenbiome adjusted to prairie, setup a basic camp there and immediately start hunting. Give your first kid the job as rabbithunter, he will need a basket and at least a 2ed snare. I like to make hats and pants for everyone and make a sealjacket*. Someone needs to scout for a good place for farms that still gives access to a good prairie. Sons are best for that. I would not go with an ongoing fire early. Only make a small fire if you have multiple kids and use it to cook rabbits too. If you have a hat and pants for your kids I think you can get away with 1fire only and then use the heat from the hotcoals. I myself have not broken a hatch early.

*: I prioritize clothes much over backpacks. I don't know the math behind it, but if I have a sealjacket, a hat and pants I have to worry MUCH less about eating. So while a backpack decreases labortime, clothes reduces food consumsen, which also decreases labortime. I think in the beginning you shouldn't have much labor time anyway: Rabbits shouldn't be too far away and with 3 snares you basically take the rabbits into the basket, replace the three snares, walk back to camp, repeat. And if you go out for milkweed. If you leave your pants in your base and take a needle and fur in your basket you can carry 4 threads back (one in form of you new crafted pants). You need backpacks later, when you start carrying massive amounts of clay around, or need to go farer and farer for rabbits. However I guess you need always adjustment and in some cases a early backpack could come handy.

Founding next to lots of ponds and then cook omeletes is also not bad, however you still missing clothes and without clothes you will probably need an ongoing fire and with that plus the fire to cook omeletes you have a high kitling use.

Also rushing pies and using the wheat from prairies is something I want to try.

And in the end you need to get a bit lucky and have 1-2 good kids who can continue your journey

Last edited by stew (2019-02-18 23:34:56)

#6 2019-02-19 00:24:54

pein

well the math is the following:
4 fur 1 seal and 5 thread makes you consume half as much than naked

basket holds 3
pack and basket holds 7
you got a net gain of 1 but on a higher cost of food
which is irrelevant to me, as long as i would need like 20 min for full clothing and that 20 min is 250 food pips
which is a bit more stressful to eat so much but i can do some fast scavenging
also kids can eat berries from pack 4 times, and find the next food, store up, rather than find 1 food in 2x time but only carry 1 in hand (if they are smart enough)

people forget baskets and sometimes you need a long shaft then you cant have a basket
so i think the math supports me on this
you can still have clothes, it wont completely deny it
but you can do things en mass, like getting more kindling, getting more threads, etc.
seal jacket is also better than the other parts so i would say is different ordering rather than choice between them
you still need labor, you still need food both cases
i guess if you are slower, clothes make more sense but is no time screwing around anyway, you need food, you need to know your next meal

you can just exploit more territory and move from it rather than trying to optimize early, noobs die in clothes too, that few seconds extra wont make much difference
also for multiple people i don't think any medium size green biome can support more than 2 people with milkweed, 3 ropes for the basic tools and even extra snares

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-02-19 09:59:50

stew

To the last part about the milkweed, that is why I like to craft my 3 starting tools in a different biome and then travel to a new one with fresh milkweed.

I understand your argument with the Backpack. However I see it that clothes not only benefit me, but also future generation. And on top of that natural food drys out much slower.

If someone dies, in this early game, you will probably notice it and you will probably find his corpse. So you can bring the clothes back (take a naked baby, put all clothes on him, run back to base). If someone with a backpack died you also want to bring the backpack back. So no difference here. However the guy with the backpack eaten more natural food. Food that could have been eaten by others or later generations.

I was born to an early camp where all had backpacks but were naked. I went scavenging - brought milkweed, iron and even clothes (and yes for this job a backpack is very handy). But I tell you this camp struggled with keeping up food production. And I strongly believe if most of this backpacks would have been clothes this camp would had a much easier time. (they all died to starvation but me who was a boy and my mom who was too old).

#8 2019-02-19 11:13:29

hmrka

Settle in a green biome, with praire/savannah biome near so you can hunt rabbits. Don't keep any children. Make fire bow drill and hatchet, catch 6 rabbits (5 for backpack, 1 for bellows). Make a fire and cook rabbit on hot coals for the bone needle. Preferably you should hunt a seal for the fur and make yourself a coat too, it helps a lot.

When you're done, you should be around 30, take your stuff in backpack and look for a green biome with swamp next to it. 2/3 ponds should be enough but the more the better. You need some luck when having kids, a pro/vet girl would be best. I'd advise to not keep boys if girl is experienced, she will abandon her kids if there is not enough food yet. If you have more girls you can keep them as replacements. Because you moved there should be food, burdocks not dug up etc.

Make klin, cook plates and bowls (more bowls than plates) and a nozzle. Next, if you're now infertile give backpack to your girl who seems most competent. Now start setting up farm. Carrots, Berries, and stew plants. Tell one of your kids to bring you skewers for the soil.

After setting up farm (don't do a small shitty one, make atleast 4×6 rows for berry. It is doable, if you didnt pick a bad place.) You can get iron, two is enough if there is not a lot near. It depends on the biome but you probably will still be alive when axe gets made, and soon after your death berries on the bushes will grow.

This is a strategy thats a bit based on luck but my eve mom did that so I thought I'd share it. We survived to gen 10 but it was just bad luck, as I was dying we had a bakery,stew, two backpacks, two seal fur coats and a pen.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3475107

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#9 2019-02-19 11:42:12

betame

pein sounds like a really efficient worker, but parts of this seem wrong to me.
nope! I was wrong with my analysis!

Overall though, backpacks beat clothes ONLY if their owner makes great use of them.

pein wrote:

well the math is the following:
4 fur 1 seal and 5 thread makes you consume half as much than naked.

To 1/2 the food consumption, you actually only need 0.30 clothingR

There was some misinformation from someone else on the forums who thought that clothes added in layers (.50 & .50 = .75), making a full set 50%
but clothing actually still adds like normal. (0.25 & 0.25 = 0.50)
using the OneTech values still too.
So, the perfect clothing described here is .8675 clothingR, not .50

A good baseline for everyone is 3 furs + 2 thread for a cap and pants (0.3825 R) will save you up to 425 food per hour, for the first 5 hours!

(math supporting this curve is explained on the temperature thread)

also kids can eat berries from pack 4 times, and find the next food, store up, rather than find 1 food in 2x time but only carry 1 in hand (if they are smart enough)

A backpack converted to clothing would save ~475 food per hour (instead of 3 meals, you eat 1) (and it's a bigger gain if you spread the clothing pieces among players) for the first 5 hours

I'd rather drive a fuel efficient 15 mpg car than a gas-guzzling 45 mpg car with a bigger fuel tank, even if it can go 1+1/3 miles before refueling. If it can only cary 2 times as much, the 3x fuel cost doesn't make up for it to me.

Overall, backpacks do come close to clothes.
I'm imagining a typical decent player can make a net surplus, say, 1,000 food. A well-used backpack might allow a great player to make an extra 475+ food, but I imagine most people (including myself) don't fully utilize their backpacks and don't hit that break-even quota.

Last edited by betame (2019-03-07 12:43:50)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#10 2019-02-19 12:23:22

stew

> A good baseline for everyone is 3 furs + 2 thread for a cap and pants (0.3825 R) will save you up to 425 food per hour, for the first 5 hours!

Hah looks like my gut-feeling was exactly right. Making hat and pants is exactly my strat.

I love all your calculations!

Last edited by stew (2019-02-19 12:23:41)

#11 2019-02-19 16:03:25

Peremptive

stew wrote:

> A good baseline for everyone is 3 furs + 2 thread for a cap and pants (0.3825 R) will save you up to 425 food per hour, for the first 5 hours!

Hah looks like my gut-feeling was exactly right. Making hat and pants is exactly my strat.

I love all your calculations!

yep! mufflon hide has only 10% off the rabbit equivalent, which costs 4 fur, so more than the loin and hat combined. Plain mufflon/seal can work for coats at least in the beginning.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-19 16:03:37)

Board footer