One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-02-19 15:04:28

Peremptive

Re: This week's update is the worst

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Ok not defending Jason at all but do you understand what OPEN SOURCE means?

Um, do you understand what open source means? That anyone can take the code and make their own similar game, is irrelevant to the people who buy Jason's game. Linux server code is open source, if I buy server services from someone and they fuck it all up it doesn't mean I can't sue because I could set up my own servers, no shit. If I wanted to make my own ohol, then why did I buy Jason's in the first place? By paying Jason, you are not buying the code (only), you are buying into the community offered by the servers. Changing the game completely day over day with no heads up at all is quite unreasonable, and saying that the game is open source, just make your own, or just set up your own server, is not a reply to that. All you are saying indirectly without realizing it is ask for a refund, you shouldn't have bought this game, because those alternatives *are* free. I don't want to play on my own in a local server, I want to play where people can join me, where I can find other villages etc. That is what I bought when I bought ohol.
So the issue here is that the dev made a very radical change, which makes previous gameplay useless, the game becomes the opposite of what it advertises itself to be, and what previous experience suggested. I am not a lawyer, so I have no idea how this would work out in practice, but the grounds seem thin. Not because of the game being open source, but because well, devs can update their games and change the code how they want, and you can't really sue over a game sucking pretty hard. This issue was also raised with F76, of broken promises and clear issues, and it was specified that people can't sue over the actual game being bad and buggy, but they can sue over the physical nylon bag being advertised as canvas.

golmock, eves used to farm in the past, when you could settle at a hospitable terrain temp wise and had the time to farm. Now you don't have time to do anything, pretty much foraging is your best bet, and no cities have been sustainable since the update. Hospitable spots now have tons of wild berries, ridiculous amounts of milkweed, lots of soil and water. The amount of these resources determines if you can enjoy continuous famines that kill off the noobs, young and old can last for a few or for 30-40 generations before all foraging sources are too far and everyone dies. Eves are expected by the dev to be screwed no matter how good/experienced you are. So Eves at best can rush to get clothes, and set up the basis of civilization like a kiln and clay stuff, while foraging to survive.
I too enjoyed interacting with noobs very much before the update. I liked when someone said they were new, I would teach them farming (most only knew to tend berries), composting and taking care of sheep, if they were intermediate I would teach them to make pies or stew. Now there is zero time to do any of that. One person at most should be taking care of kids because otherwise everyone starves. That one person has to rush to feed the kids and not starve themselves, which is often hard since villages are death zones where food runs out all the time. All kids look the same so you can't distinguish them if someone says they are new even if you wanted to. When they grow to 3-5, you can't leave the nursery to teach them because you are taking care of new kids brought in. So there is no teaching post update. And no time to google stuff even.
If I have a kid now, and I am a bit out of the village, there's no way I have time to go back and forth, so I almost always abandon. In general my rule is, if you have a boy, look at the nursery, are there more than 2 babies (0-3 or 5) in there? If yes, abandon the baby or the village will starve soon. If you have a girl, look at your HUD. If you have more than 2 pre-fertile girls (0-14), abandon the baby or the village will starve as soon as the girls grow up. So it is fine to have a couple of boys growing up all the time but not girls. If you don't use the mod, prepare to starve to death all the time.

Taz, there are people on this forum with hundreds of posts, who have been bitching at other players the past few days that "maybe you are not good enough at surviving" and other forms of git good noob, who didn't even know that hatchets break. Someone like that probably bitches on the forum and licks dev ass 10 times longer than they play the game. I suspect your post said similar stuff to the posts these kinds of people make, so you got caught up in that. It was your main task as an eve to get 5-6 bushes, gather sticks, maybe plant carrots etc before. Making it so that everyone keeps starving constantly and eves by design have no time to farm is cruel and stupid.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-19 15:29:12)

#52 2019-02-19 15:56:45

Booklat1

Rage wrote:

Can't sue over a game sucking is right. But CAN sue over false advertising and this game has done that. Maybe throw in a fraud count as well.

false advertising meaning you suck too much to build anything lasting? There's actual videos of people playing this game in which you can even see naked people on the background, how is that unplayble? Might as well sue bloodborn for killing you too much when it's obvious every monster has a dumb weakness.

#53 2019-02-19 17:07:40

Booklat1

And what do you do with people posting videos playing the game this update instead of throwing a fit?

You do realize there's enough evidence of people after the updadte playing this game AND building civilization AND making things last and all those things in the trailer, right? Jason often responds fast so maybe pester him instead of us for a refund? I know you've already sent one email but people in the forum really have nothing to do with your cyber attorney "fear me" bullshit. Like, I don't even live in america, it sounds cheap AF when i'm reading it all.

#54 2019-02-19 17:26:00

Grim_Arbiter

Peremptive wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Ok not defending Jason at all but do you understand what OPEN SOURCE means?

Um, do you understand what open source means? That anyone can take the code and make their own similar game, is irrelevant to the people who buy Jason's game. Linux server code is open source, if I buy server services from someone and they fuck it all up it doesn't mean I can't sue because I could set up my own servers, no shit. If I wanted to make my own ohol, then why did I buy Jason's in the first place? By paying Jason, you are not buying the code (only), you are buying into the community offered by the servers. Changing the game completely day over day with no heads up at all is quite unreasonable, and saying that the game is open source, just make your own, or just set up your own server, is not a reply to that. All you are saying indirectly without realizing it is ask for a refund, you shouldn't have bought this game, because those alternatives *are* free. I don't want to play on my own in a local server, I want to play where people can join me, where I can find other villages etc. That is what I bought when I bought ohol.
So the issue here is that the dev made a very radical change, which makes previous gameplay useless, the game becomes the opposite of what it advertises itself to be, and what previous experience suggested. I am not a lawyer, so I have no idea how this would work out in practice, but the grounds seem thin. Not because of the game being open source, but because well, devs can update their games and change the code how they want, and you can't really sue over a game sucking pretty hard. This issue was also raised with F76, of broken promises and clear issues, and it was specified that people can't sue over the actual game being bad and buggy, but they can sue over the physical nylon bag being advertised as canvas.

You say its irrelevant yet Dual Decade did that for the mobile version and then you got Two Hours One Life. Both of those exist and have players without jason and can do whatever they please with the source code. Even greep could make a completely different game and add or delete whatever he pleases on his One City Server if he wanted. Yes you just stated it again for me but, YOU ARE ONLY BUYING SERVER ACCESS! The whole game itself can be downloaded free on github!

So tell me. Are the servers working? If you were suing because you literally couldn't access the servers (like when russian ISPs couldn't access) then you might have more of a legal foundation to take action. Just because you don't like what is on a server doesn't mean you can't access it.

False advertising claims are usually based in personal feelings, but guess what? The laws really don't care about your feelings. Unless its something like premeditated vs crime of passion, where they just need to figure out how to categorize you.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#55 2019-02-19 17:35:06

Grim_Arbiter

Rage wrote:

when i sue it won't be so much about winning as it will showing the dev the importance of customer service. If i go to a store and buy a box that says toaster and when i get it home it is an iron, that is false advertising. Same goes for this game.

For me suing will cost exactly 7 dollars. That will be on serving summons on jason through certified mail. The rest will only take a little of my time and by little i mean about 3 horrid lives of time on OHOL.

People and companies seem to think they can do what they want on the internet, that laws do not apply. But let me guarantee you they do. I expect to win my case.

You just sunk yourself.

You sue to win amigo, not "show importance"

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#56 2019-02-19 17:47:10

Anandamide

Yeah, the courts tend to look down on frivolous suits. The only people/entities that engage in them are people with the resource for more than one lawyer(including a top tier one), because you need to exhaust the other party to the point they cant retaliate because of the financial cost. A court would see this post(if it got to the point of a suit) and throw it out(if Jason showed this to the court).

#57 2019-02-19 18:05:53

Grim_Arbiter

Rage wrote:

i know it might be difficult but read all words, i said i expect to win. And bookate whatever your name, i am not bothering you on this forum you CHOOSE to read and unlike jason i certainly am not charging you to read what i write.

You can expect for the sun to not rise tomorrow too. Doesn't mean it wont come up because of your expectations.

If you aren't going into a legal battle with your only thought being winning, then you have already lost.

--Grim

#58 2019-02-19 18:15:38

Anandamide

rage wrote:

when i sue it won't be so much about winning as it will showing the dev the importance of customer service. If i go to a store and buy a box that says toaster and when i get it home it is an iron, that is false advertising. Same goes for this game.

For me suing will cost exactly 7 dollars. That will be on serving summons on jason through certified mail. The rest will only take a little of my time and by little i mean about 3 horrid lives of time on OHOL.

People and companies seem to think they can do what they want on the internet, that laws do not apply. But let me guarantee you they do. I expect to win my case.

Okayy, doesnt matter now that you think you can win, because you just said its not about winning but sending a message. There are a number of things that make litigation frivolous, and one is it not being in good faith. Youve just stated its primarily about sending a message about customer service. It doesnt matter if you also think you can win it. There is public and private face, and this is all stuff you could've kept to yourself and attorney but instead are blathering here on the forums. Another thing that is required of litigation is an actual basis in the law, and he clearly didnt engage in any false advertising. He sold you access to his servers, and you still have access to those servers, all of them. You might not like your experience on those servers now, but he did not sell you access to servers that would check off all of your boxes. The only thing that has changed about your access to those servers is an increase in difficulty. If you could no longer connect to the servers, or were experiencing*** game breaking lag, you might have a case, but that's clearly not what your problem is.

rage wrote:

unlike jason i certainly am not charging you to read what i write

All I can say is good luck with that, you are clearly delusional.

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-02-19 18:16:48)

#59 2019-02-19 18:23:06

fragilityh14

It's worth pointing out, when the official trailer video was made deserts didnt exist and temp worked close to how it does now, in terms of food consumption.

So, were your frivolous suit to even make it that far, nothing about the advertising of the game demonstrates that you can live naked in the desert. In fact, it shows the people wearing clothes.

And that's my bad not realizing hatchets break, i don't think they used to and was gone for like 6 months. I use the wiki instead of onetech and it didn't say. I've played like 20 hours since getting back and havn't seen a hatchet break, because you usually have an ax by gen 3, so this is not a major problem, it costs 4 damn milkweed to make, for 41 uses. You should have a steel axe by the time you've chopped wood 41 times. My last Eve camp had a steel ax well before I died and i don't even smith.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#60 2019-02-19 18:35:19

fragilityh14

naked in the desert was always terrible. Many of us liked the game more before. Green grasslands should be the main place to live. Clothes should be important.

I only finally even agreed to start farms in deserts a few weeks before the update, because all my babies would suicide if i was on grassland. I was a holdout playing this way before it changed.

It's a survival game, just eat when you're hungry and always carry food. This is the advice I give all of my children in the wild  "always carry food, make basket"

Every kid, and i give you the same advice.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#61 2019-02-19 18:39:38

Nepumuk

Guys stop feeding the troll already.

Last edited by Nepumuk (2019-02-19 21:30:49)

I am Eve Speed.

#62 2019-02-19 18:47:25

Falsewall

Rage wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

blah blah blah....but people in the forum really have nothing to do with your cyber attorney "fear me" bullshit. Like, I don't even live in america, it sounds cheap AF when i'm reading it all.

Why would anyone on this forum think that my declaration of intent to sue jason is anything to 'fear'. You should fear all the greivers who are going to destroy this game and your gaming experience over being pissed off about paying 20 dollars for a bullshit game. That is unless you are crammed so far up jason's ass you actually think you are one person. The last sounds about right to me.

As far as a bother to read big_smile do what i do to frailty with the wall of text above this post- DON'T LIKE WHAT I HAVE TO SAY? DON'T READ IT.

You ass lickers are actually quite hilarious.

Do it baby boy. Bet your attention span can't last long enough to lick the stamp, let alone fill the paperwork out.

Last edited by Falsewall (2019-02-19 19:03:29)

#63 2019-02-19 18:47:43

wondaland

Jesus rage you're pestering people by calling them ass lickers for liking a game you hate. I don't give a damn if you sue but quit the name calling it's childish.

#64 2019-02-19 19:11:19

CrazyEddie

for f*'s sake just ignore him

#65 2019-02-19 20:32:16

Anandamide

rage wrote:

The plaintiff purchased access to the game server One Hour One Life at http://onehouronelife.com/ for  $20.00. The game was advertised on Steam and other internet platforms as a civilization building and child rearing game. The game is neither of the things it is advertised to be. There is no way to ‘build a civilization’ because one player can never see get back to the spot they were building without anything but luck. The game also expounds itself to be focused on child rearing, and claims you can teach your children the game basis. This is not possible because the fast rate the of hunger, the player is left doing hardly anything except finding food to stay alive for the one hour of life they get.

Huh, guess you never heard of a home marker. You can teach your children. This game has perfect information (save knives in backpacks on some character models), you can watch someone do a task, without them saying anything, and potentially reproduce that set of steps since everything is out to see.

rage wrote:

After purchasing access to the server and finding out this game is not what it advertises to be, the plaintiff contacted the creator/developer by the email given by him and asked for a refund. The plaintiff was ignored. Since the plaintiff was already  invested in the game anyway to just play it instead of making a big fuss.

New mexico has no statute requiring a return policy. At the game purchase page, there is no guarantee of a refund for not liking the game. The game is not broken, you can log into the game server, with the client and no modifications and play and make all items in game.

rage wrote:

Less than one month after purchase of the game and requesting a refund, the developer and defendant chose to ‘update’ the game without proper warning making the hunger problem even worse and furthering the gap between what was advertised and what was received.

Hmm, I remember this post, some 8 days before the update came out, with lots of back and forth between Jason and the community. One city server even tested the code in advance. Jason regularly (almost daily) talks about the development on dicord under the channel #live-dev-changes

#66 2019-02-19 20:38:19

Anandamide

Also, you're clearly not an attorney, only a small subset of lawsuits can be served via the mail for out of state suits. You will need to file in California to serve via the mail. Even then, almost half of suits served through certified mail are still tossed out.

#67 2019-02-19 20:46:26

Falsewall

Hearsay.  Now boy, I say boy, get some proper quotes & the agreement you shrinkwrap signed for purchase word for word.

#68 2019-02-19 20:47:40

Anandamide

Also, four bad reviews does not win a lawsuit claiming the game is unplayable. The long term reviews on steam are overwhelmingly positive, and even the recent ones still eek out bad reviews. Going to the main page http://onehouronelife.com/#reviews, we can see that all of the recent ones are positive. You can find dozens of comments in just the past few days on the forums praising the update.  You dont have consensus from the playerbase, and no proof the game is actually unplayable. Even if you made a video of you having a hard time with it, it would be easy to counter with any recent twitch stream, or even a new video of villages with clothes and buildings and tools and food.

#69 2019-02-19 20:49:04

Greep

Let's just ignore Rage for now please.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#70 2019-02-19 20:52:38

golmock

Please don't fight about something that doesn't have anything to do with my writing in my article...

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#71 2019-02-19 20:57:06

Falsewall

Anandamide wrote:

Also, you're clearly not an attorney, only a small subset of lawsuits can be served via the mail for out of state suits. You will need to file in California to serve via the mail. Even then, almost half of suits served through certified mail are still tossed out.

Shhh.  Don't tell him that yet.

#72 2019-02-19 21:30:10

wondaland

Is there a moderator that can just delete this thread? It's not doing anyone any good...

#73 2019-02-19 21:46:24

Anandamide

Still isnt an argument for your bunk case. I can admit I was wrong there. You still have one exhibit, of four reviews, that does nothing to substantiate your argument. That ignores all the possible counter arguments, assuming that one exhibit was enough to make your case. At the end of the day Jason has provided the service you purchased, access to the server and all future updates, and technical support for the game. You have not claimed he failed to provide any of these things. And to top it off, the state you are filing in does not require any specific return policy.

#74 2019-02-19 21:54:02

Anandamide

Also, if ive ever seen an argument for being delusional, its your personal forum . Who in this world makes a dedicated forum to talk to themselves?

#75 2019-02-19 22:05:36

Falsewall

I think that sums it up.  But can't stop an (unfinished) letter from being sent through the US postal service.

Last edited by Falsewall (2019-02-19 22:08:54)

Board footer