One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 16:08:11

golmock

This week's update is the worst

I played this game for nine months. I swear it's the worst. It's the worst.
Everyone is dying of hunger.
People are soooo busy working and don't even have time to talk to their children.
Jason's wish for a modernisation like this is a success

And has the update modified the durability of the Stone hatchet?
Stone hatchet was broken that I made when I was Eve even before I was 40.
Maybe made more firewood than usual to save the baby...
Anyway, Jason really needs to make a baby belt if he wants to keep this terrible update.
Eve has one hand, right? It looks like two, but it's actually one.
She has to make kilns, bowls and tools to make a fire. That's a fact everyone knows.
And she has to use a basket to make those damn things.
Babies die faster than ever and Eve can't wait for a slow baby because she gets hungry faster. Everyone dies of hunger the moment we delay.

Last edited by golmock (2019-02-17 16:09:26)

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#2 2019-02-17 16:26:28

Taz

Re: This week's update is the worst

golmock wrote:

She has to make kilns, bowls and tools to make a fire. That's a fact everyone knows.

wut?

https://onetech.info/82-Fire/recipe  <--- no kiln or bowl needed.

Last edited by Taz (2019-02-17 16:27:37)

#3 2019-02-17 16:30:02

golmock

Taz wrote:
golmock wrote:

wut?

Eve have to farm

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#4 2019-02-17 17:09:04

Taz

golmock wrote:

Eve have to farm

No she doesn't.

#5 2019-02-17 17:36:24

MultiLife

Taz wrote:
golmock wrote:

wut?

Golmock was listing things Eve has to do, not what she needs for a fire. big_smile

I'll add to that; it seems that Eves just have to cut down things they can do. They can't do as much as they could before, they gotta trust the next gens to be able to take some of her responsibilities. Not great, as next gens are young and die easily, but I have no experience of the new system so can't say much to that.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-02-17 17:37:48)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-02-17 18:41:44

Booklat1

But eves really don't need to farm. Its making tools, fire and kiln + bows and plates that really matters. After that tryng to rush steel for axe, and shovels. Farming is one of the best eve daughter jobs as this makes kids stay safeish inside town.

#7 2019-02-17 19:04:14

Peremptive

You are supposed to die for no reason, according to the dev. You aren't supposed to survive and so there shouldn't be any biome that is hospitable. Just die because the bushes are empty already.

Isn't this an amazing rewarding gaming experience.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 19:06:06)

#8 2019-02-17 21:01:44

fragilityh14

Peremptive wrote:

You are supposed to die for no reason, according to the dev. You aren't supposed to survive and so there shouldn't be any biome that is hospitable. Just die because the bushes are empty already.

have you considered the possibility that you're just not good at surviving? This is a survival game, you know

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2019-02-17 23:01:56

Rage
Banned

Have you considered that you're just an asshole shoved up jason's ass and anyone with an opinion different that your scripture has to be wrong?

#10 2019-02-17 23:07:56

Ellesanna

Whoa hey guys. Getting a little heated here. I get that this is a subject of much debate but theres no need to get so hostile, it is just a game after all. Fragilityh14 you did come off pretty pretentious just then with your suggestion that this player expressing their displeasure over the new added difficulty of the game wasn't a good player. Lots of good players are struggling with the new update so don't be rude. Also, Rage, true to your name you did allow yourself to get pretty rallied up over Fragilityh14's comment, please try to remain civil during conversation on forums or no common ground will be found and we will all just end up yelling at each other and get nothing done.

#11 2019-02-17 23:10:46

Booklat1

Rage wrote:

Have you considered that you're just an asshole shoved up jason's ass and anyone with an opinion different that your scripture has to be wrong?

You're probably not good at surviving either are you? Or following forum rules, for that matter.

#12 2019-02-17 23:18:01

Peremptive

fragilityh14 wrote:
Peremptive wrote:

have you considered the possibility that you're just not good at surviving? This is a survival game, you know

I don't know how many times I have to respond to this type of reply that I can survive and make it to 60 no problem, after the first game I played with the update at least. I am talking about the people who make up the graveyard twice the size of every "town" on the server who don't.

#13 2019-02-17 23:20:52

fragilityh14

yes, people who will now actually be challenged to get better instead of standing around being useless.

When i started playing before deserts learning to survive was brutal and amazing and rewarding.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2019-02-17 23:28:51

LucidFugue

It is definitely enforcing an extended nomadic playstyle for the early game. Eves don't necessarily want to be making kilns and starting farms anymore. Sure, if you find a goldilocks spot, go for it. But you really just want the fire to keep hunger costs for kids low, so they can safely age up and start foraging. Farming with skewers and stone hoes, getting milkweed for snares and rabbits. Using the radiant heat of the fire. Hatchets break, but they're easy to replace.
It is a much harder life, but rushing a kiln may not be the best bet for eve runs now.

#15 2019-02-18 00:06:20

JonySky
Website

Surviving is not impossible, it has only gotten a little harder now ... although I must say that unfortunately the game has become a simulate of eating and running ...

the temperature update honestly was not as I expected ... this update has only led to eating more often ... so much that sometimes it does not let you interact or perform simple tasks ...

I do not see a big difference between being in a building or being outside the

novices have no chance of surviving ... even if they are in a room with a bonfire ...

I have been living a life and all my children have died before 5 minutes ...

I do not want to be pessimistic, but this is not very nice to play for a newcomer.

#16 2019-02-18 00:17:10

Booklat1

JonySky wrote:

I do not see a big difference between being in a building or being outside the

yeah, because people still haven't figured out how to build things the right size and with all tiles floored. after we get a few basic designs for bakery  and forge people will start copying and building. It'll also depend on people learning to use adobe and paint, since it's more flexible than stone.

#17 2019-02-18 00:49:11

Rage
Banned

First Elesseana you know frailty has been taking this personal not just on me but on anyone who does not bow down to jason's every decision... but i am and will continue to try and keep it civil, but if that one keeps mouthing off being a smart ass to everyone that does not agree with his hero him/her and me WILL have issues.

Booklat1 wrote:
Rage wrote:

You're probably not good at surviving either are you? Or following forum rules, for that matter.

oh yeah booklat1 i suck hard, that is why i have two iron mines at the eve camp i made earlier today, i just die all the time and just because you seem to be friends with frailty, you need to get your facts straight, HE/SHE is the one that took this personal first.

i can play with this update NO PROBLEM it just isn't fun anymore, before it was TOO DAMN MUCH TIME EATING, now...ya

#18 2019-02-18 01:53:17

fragilityh14

I bow down to Jason's every decision? He messed up SO GD bad leaving us naked in the desert so long. I was upset and refusing to play along the whole time. I only recently even accepted finding a desert for camps, cause all my babies would suicide if i was on green.

I always wanted it to go back to how it is now, I hated how it was before. Because Jason made a huge mistake leaving us naked in the desert for so long.

if you started playing before deserts existed, you would see what a bad mistake the heat situation we've been living with was.

Btw, my profile quote is from before this update, and a reflection of the fact that this game makes me reflect an extraordinary amount on how I interact with the world IRL. It's actually helping me a great deal in my personal life, because this amazing game completely reflects on how I interact with the world around me.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-18 01:56:39)

Listen to your mom!

#19 2019-02-18 02:09:35

Rage
Banned

Thanks for being civil about it this time. I will try as well. Sorry I am just really upset i lost an eve camp this morning surrounded by food because of the shock thing. I was probably taking a lot of that out on you. Again, sorry.

#20 2019-02-18 02:50:48

fragilityh14

Rage wrote:

Thanks for being civil about it this time. I will try as well. Sorry I am just really upset i lost an eve camp this morning surrounded by food because of the shock thing. I was probably taking a lot of that out on you. Again, sorry.

If that's directed at me, i was never upset, but i do generally appreciate your caring about how I feel.

IMO Eve camps should be really difficult.

Honestly, I didn't play from the end of June-January, I got into my busiest season and also kept getting into different games and not coming back.

I always hated the desert meta. I always set up my camps in green lands, and only stopped cause all my babies would suicide because they were "noob traps".

So people are saying things like "rabbit hunter needs to be a job", it always should have been a job, it used to be a job, finding clothes was one of the first things you did, along with getting agriculture set up.

Eating berries in warm climates and mutton pies as a byproduct of compost made everyone complacent.

I've ran off to create so many camps that didn't survive in my time, it's the nature of the game. Life is sad. Even with good players Eve camps shouldn't have more than a 75% survival rate, if that. Granted, with civilization established, not a lot of people should be spawning as Eves.

and seriously, I can't say this enough times, but the cause of the useless berry eaters is that civilization is supporting them fine. They may be noobs, but they're never going to truly enjoy the game or learn to be better if they use it as a primitive chatroom where they stand around eating berries.

Listen to your mom!

#21 2019-02-18 04:04:11

Grim_Arbiter

fragilityh14 wrote:
Rage wrote:

If that's directed at me, i was never upset, but i do generally appreciate your caring about how I feel.

IMO Eve camps should be really difficult.

Honestly, I didn't play from the end of June-January, I got into my busiest season and also kept getting into different games and not coming back.

I always hated the desert meta. I always set up my camps in green lands, and only stopped cause all my babies would suicide because they were "noob traps".

So people are saying things like "rabbit hunter needs to be a job", it always should have been a job, it used to be a job, finding clothes was one of the first things you did, along with getting agriculture set up.

Eating berries in warm climates and mutton pies as a byproduct of compost made everyone complacent.

I've ran off to create so many camps that didn't survive in my time, it's the nature of the game. Life is sad. Even with good players Eve camps shouldn't have more than a 75% survival rate, if that. Granted, with civilization established, not a lot of people should be spawning as Eves.

and seriously, I can't say this enough times, but the cause of the useless berry eaters is that civilization is supporting them fine. They may be noobs, but they're never going to truly enjoy the game or learn to be better if they use it as a primitive chatroom where they stand around eating berries.

I just feel like he could have done this with keeping jungles the same temp and doing everything else that he did. There is no last bastion for a casual or newer player to learn. All the people on the not so good side of the scale die before they can even type out "I'm new"

I wouldn't reccomend this game how it is right now like i have to people I know personally in the past.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#22 2019-02-18 05:50:05

DestinyCall

Re-balancing the temperature mechanic so deserts were too hot and jungles were not perfectly warm was a necessary change and probably should have happened much sooner.   But there is a reason why no one was building cold camps when they had the option to build warmer ones.   The options available to slow hunger loss in a cold environment are not adequate and there is no "mild" climate anywhere.   I don't want a perfect temperature haven, like jungle use to be.   However, there should be a LESS cold area for early camps to settle while they establish the basics for survival.   Eve camps should be hard .. and they ARE hard.   Even before this update.     Anyone who thinks otherwise has been playing the game so long they can't remember what it was like to be new and naked and alone. 

If it was up to me, I would re-balance the biome temperature scale so Desert and Tundra are equally deadly, like they are right now.   And I would make jungle and badlands uncomfortably hot and bitterly cold, like they are now.    But I would REDUCE the cold in grasslands, swamps and prairie so when you are running around naked in these biomes you lose only half as much per second.   Not ideal temp.  Still good benefit from clothing and buildings.   But you have more breathing room to set down your babies while you gather materials or get a fire started.  Enough time to stop and talk to your first kid so you can make a quick plan on who is doing what next.  Eventually, you will need to venture out into the more extreme biomes to gather necessary resources, like iron and flat rocks and sheep.   Getting clothes will be important.  Making structures will be useful.  But you won't be constantly on the brink of freezing so long as you watch where you wander and avoid obviously dangerous-looking biomes.   It would help newer players adapt and learn the game.  It would make logical sense and be fairly intuitive, even if you don't understand the math behind the temperature mechanic.  There would not need to be crazy heat shock to keep people away from deserts or tundra.   The starvation rate will teach people to stay clear all by itself and no one is going to be camping in a desert if they know what's good for them.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-18 05:53:20)

#23 2019-02-18 06:23:09

JoshuaN

Its not just eve camps that are harder, its the whole village. Even a big city now has a very difficult hurdle because it takes a lot of skill and work to maintain a farm. Noobs are only working against that by eating all the berries, and consuming soil. They don't know how to compost. Carrots and wheat usually also die out too, because no one seeds, they only consume.

I haven't been learning the tech tree anymore since the update. All i have time to do now is performing only the most basic of rudimentary tasks such as gathering and composting. I don't even have time to build anything like walls and floors to stay warmer...

New idea: Indoor sheep and compost farms, wall those suckers off. Build it around your newcomen pump!!

Rather than using stones to make bell tower bases use them to make walls with doors. I may design one myself out of game.
I wish there was a way to play around with just the sprites on a tile grid...

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-18 06:27:10)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#24 2019-02-18 06:41:35

Jojigirl

Maybe berry farms should be kept small and not massive like villages have them.  Just a few planted in between the bakery and the pen. If a village does not have a lot of berry bushes planted maybe it will force people to go and do something else. There is no need for the berry farms to be as huge as I have been seeing them. It just encourages people to stand around eating them. Wastes a lot of soil and water too.

Teach kids at a young age that the berry farm is not for food. If they die of starvation because they do not know how to survive without berries, eventually they'll have to learn a new way of playing to keep themselves alive.

I guess if need be, another SMALL patch of berries could be planted by the nursery, just for toddlers and the elders. The den mother would have to start shooing people away from eating those berries after a certain age.   If they do not listen, kill them.. They are dead weight to the village and will bring the village down.

I have no problem going to Donkey town for a bit. I enjoy playing by myself at times. lol

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-02-18 06:43:49)

#25 2019-02-18 10:39:44

JoshuaN

Berry eaters (more than two per yum bonus chain) deserve donkey town. its just a waste of soil. You can get berries and bananas in the wild FOR FREE that regenerate. Just bring a hand cart with rubber tires and a backpack. Even just a basket if thats all you have. You can carry all the things. Rubber tires give carts a renewable 10 hours of life at the cost of a little work and makes you more productive. You can bring back 6 items / baskets rather than 4. Horse carts are nice too because they don't decay. They do wander off though if you don't tie them up properly though.

I'm loving my current playstyle of foraging because i don't starve when the village eventually overpopulates. Berries and bananas galore!

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-18 10:41:08)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

Board footer